• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Hurricane Maria Relief: How to DONATE

The situation in Puerto Rico is increasingly dire but the nation is experiencing donation exhaustion following two preceding hurricanes in Texas and Florida. The federal government is trying to help but face their own challenges in meeting what's needed. Public donations are critical to the delivery of aid. Here are some ways you can donate.

Please feel free to make suggestions

United for Puerto Rico
DONATE LINK

United for Puerto Rico is an initiative brought forth by the First Lady of Puerto Rico, Beatriz Rosselló, in collaboration with the private sector, with the purpose of providing aid and support to those affected in Puerto Rico by the passage of Hurricane Irma and Hurricane María. 100% of the proceeds will go to helping the victims afteced by these natural disasters in Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rico needs your support. Join us and help Puerto Rico recover!

American Red Cross
DONATE LINK

The Red Cross honors donor intent and all donations earmarked for Hurricane Maria will be used for our work to support this disaster. Americans work hard for their money, and we're committed to being the very best stewards of our donor's dollars. The Red Cross keeps our expenses low, and 91 cents of every dollar we spend for this disaster will go to help people affected by Hurricane Maria.
Charity Navigator: 3 out of 4 Stars
BBB Wise Giving Alliance: Accredited
Charity Watch: B+

Unicef
DONATE LINK

UNICEF USA is mobilizing to get immediate, critical support — Emergency Relief Kits — to the children of Puerto Rico.

A donation of just $28 will provide a kit containing basic, essential supplies such as water purification tablets, a water bucket with lid, water containers, soap, toothpaste, detergent and sanitary pads. The supplies will help children and their families keep clean and healthy, protecting them from diseases that can occur after the loss of equipment and infrastructure and the disruption of a safe water supply.

UNICEF is a global leader in emergency response, last year reaching children in 344 humanitarian emergencies across 108 countries. We stand ready to provide aid before, during and after a crisis.
90% of every dollar spent goes directly to helping children.
Charity Watch: A

Unidos: A Hurricane Relief Fund for Hurricane Maria Victims in Puerto Rico
DONATE LINK

Hispanic Federation and Coalition of Community Organizations and Elected Officials Launch ”Unidos": A Hurricane Relief Fund for Hurricane Maria Victims in Puerto Rico

Hispanic Federation and Latino civic leadership pledge a $50,000 fund to help support those impacted by the earthquake in Mexico

The Federation also commits to support people in the Dominican Republic affected by Hurricane Maria

A coalition of New York City civic leaders including Mayor Bill DeBlasio, U.S. Congress Members Nydia Velázquez and Adriano Espaillat, and New York City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito have joined the Hispanic Federation and its partnering community based organizations to launch ”Unidos" (United), a hurricane relief fund to help those impacted by Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico.

The fund will be managed by the Hispanic Federation, a leading Latino nonprofit organization with more than 25 years of experience in providing disaster-relief assistance to Latinos in the United States and Latin America. One hundred percent of the proceeds will help hurricane victims and the recovery efforts through fellow community and civic organizations in Puerto Rico.
https://act.moveon.org/donate/hurricane-maria

You can donate to Hispanic Federation through MoveOn now and MoveOn is picking up the credit card fees.
Charity Navigator: 4 out of 4 Stars

Americares
DONATE LINK

Americares has professional relief workers ready to respond to disasters at a moment's notice and stocks emergency medicine and supplies in its warehouses in the U.S., Europe and India that can be delivered quickly in times of crisis. The organization responds to an average of 30 natural disasters and humanitarian crises worldwide each year, establishes long-term recovery projects and brings disaster preparedness programs to vulnerable communities.

Should Americares raise funds in excess of what's needed to respond to this particular crisis, the funds will be redirected to where the need is greatest.

Donate to provide emergency medicine, supplies and medical outreach as Americares responds to the urgent needs of people already devastated by Hurricane Irma who are now caught in Hurricane Maria's destructive path. We need your help to meet the demand. Send your gift now!

With your gift, you will let survivors of Hurricane Maria know that Health is on the Way.

Direct Relief
DONATE LINK

Hurricane Maria has churned a devastating path through the Caribbean and Puerto Rico.

As the crisis unfolds, Direct Relief is responding to those in need, focusing relief efforts on the health facilities that serve people who rely on the healthcare safety net for essential services.

100% of donations for Hurricane Maria will be used exclusively for that effort.

Global Giving
DONATE LINK

All donations to this fund will support hurricane recovery and relief efforts in the Caribbean. Initially, the fund will help first responders meet survivors' immediate needs for food, fuel, clean water, hygiene products, and shelter. Once initial relief work is complete, this fund will transition to support longer-term recovery efforts run by local, vetted organizations responding to this disaster.

Save the Children
DONATE LINK

Children and families in Puerto Rico are still reeling in the wake of Hurricane Maria's devastating, direct hit. The destruction is massive across the island, complicated by severe power, fuel and communications challenges. Save the Children's relief experts are on the ground right now, doing whatever it takes to care for the most vulnerable in any emergency: children. We're also responding on another hard-hit island, the Dominican Republic.

When you donate to Save the Children's Hurricane Maria relief, you're providing critical aid to children and families who need it most, so they can survive this crisis, recover from their losses and rebuild their lives. Thank you.

Ten percent of funds donated for specific emergencies go to our emergency reserves, the Children's Emergency Fund.
BBB Giving Alliance: Certified

The Salvation Army
DONATE LINK

The Salvation Army is an army ready to serve on multiple fronts. That's why we're still serving disaster survivors of hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria in Texas, Florida, Georgia and Puerto Rico. Whether its food, drinks, shelter or cleaning supplies, The Salvation Army is ready to provide practical assistance. We're also always ready with a shoulder to cry on – to give a hug or words of hope – to pray with you and for everyone you love. And we won't stop when the winds die down and the flood waters recede. We'll remain until the healing is complete, until all this devastation is but a memory.

Community Foundation of the Virgin Islands
DONATE LINK/

To help those affected by the hurricane, the Community Foundation of the Virgin Islands (CFVI) has established the Fund for the Virgin Islands.

100% of your donation will benefit those in crisis.

CFVI is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that has been operating in the USVI for more than 25 years. It has supported past relief efforts in the region and is working closely with government and community providers to identify priorities and direct resources for immediate needs as well as long-term recovery efforts.

geomon

I have serious reservations about donating to The Red Cross from past experience, however if that's your go to charity, by all means go ahead. I'll be donating to UNICEF as soon as I get some money.

reKon

Banned
I have serious reservations about donating to The Red Cross from past experience, however if that's your go to charity, by all means go ahead. I'll be donating to UNICEF as soon as I get some money.

please share your past experience. I'm going to donate and want to allocate my donation across different organizations

geomon

please share your past experience. I'm going to donate and want to allocate my donation across different organizations

After Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans, I went over to my local Red Cross building here in Miami because Katrina had hit here first and I still had a bunch of supplies (mostly canned food) left over, so I figured I'd donate it. I was turned away and simply told that they weren't accepting "bulk donations" at the time but were accepting cash donations and such. This is when people were breaking into grocery stores for food. So I returned the food to the store, and gave the money I got back from that to Habitat For Humanity instead.

Then I've been reading ever since that there's serious questions about where the money the Red Cross receives goes to. It's been an ongoing problem since Katrina.

SRG01

After Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans, I went over to my local Red Cross building here in Miami because Katrina had hit here first and I still had a bunch of supplies (mostly canned food) left over, so I figured I'd donate it. I was turned away and simply told that they weren't accepting "bulk donations" at the time but were accepting cash donations and such. This is when people were breaking into grocery stores for food. So I returned the food to the store, and gave the money I got back from that to Habitat For Humanity instead.

Then I've been reading ever since that there's serious questions about where the money the Red Cross receives goes to. It's been an ongoing problem since Katrina.

Your concerns are warranted. The Red Cross was also ineffectual in Haiti, to the point where I have to laugh or else I'd be mad with rage.

geomon

I mentioned Habitat For Humanity before and I just read that they do have a station in San Juan and are currently collecting donations to help rebuild people's homes.

I do recommend donating to them as they are very helpful and stay long after all other charities are pretty much gone. Puerto Rico will be rebuilding for decades and these people will be on the ground there, doing the work.

RDreamer

Good stuff. I donated to the link put up by Lin Manuel Miranda, Hispanic Federation. I think if marked for Hurricane Relief it went to UNIDOS. Hope it gets put to good use.

My major professor is running a streaming marathon next weekend and at first when she was planning, we were going through charities and so many are troubling. She finally chose Direct Relief.

Thank you for this list and the transparency discussions.

Linkura

My major professor is running a streaming marathon next weekend and at first when she was planning, we were going through charities and so many are troubling. She finally chose Direct Relief.

Thank you for this list and the transparency discussions.
Looks like it's the only one on the OP list with perfect scores from all 3 rating orgs.

Might donate to them as well.

Nipo

I used GlobalGIving for the Nepal Earthquake in 2015 and i'm still getting updates on how the money is being used and when projects are completed that my donations went to. It is nice to hear about how things are going after the media coverage ends and the real work begins.

Aeonin

Thank you very much for this. I will be donating here shortly. So hard to know who to trust with donations, any info is of such great help.

Linkura

I used GlobalGIving for the Nepal Earthquake in 2015 and i'm still getting updates on how the money is being used and when projects are completed that my donations went to. It is nice to hear about how things are going after the media coverage ends and the real work begins.

So I was wondering why they weren't on Charity Watch, which is weird. But they have their most recent 990 posted right on their website, 100% transparency. Appreciated.

Edit: Looked at the 990. Don't like how much they are paying (almost $650k) to an HR company for co-employer services. Those things are always a huge waste of money that could be going to program services instead. Saying this as a financial/HR professional.

I also looked at Direct Relief's 990. No red flags there.

Donated the other day.

Someone mentioned in this in the now-locked Trump/Puerto Rico thread, but it definitely feels better to help through actions rather than yelling about the non-action on a computer.

I finally got phone and 4g reception after like 2 weeks, im ok. Thanks to all gaffers for donating, we really are roughing it at this moment.....starting to take a mental toll on some of us with no power or water.

Hope things get better, even if its with the help from trump....

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I donated Direct Relief.

Avoid Red Cross if you actually want your money to go towards the welfare of the victims.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
USVIrecovery.Org to help us down here in the US Virgin Islands. PR has a lot more people and honestly probably more needs right now but we are in pretty rough shape so help us as well if you can.

I finally got phone and 4g reception after like 2 weeks, im ok. Thanks to all gaffers for donating, we really are roughing it at this moment.....starting to take a mental toll on some of us with no power or water.

Hope things get better, even if its with the help from trump....

Hang in there. So many people I know are scrambling to try to help. You guys are loved.

Looks like it's the only one on the OP list with perfect scores from all 3 rating orgs.

Might donate to them as well.
She's really picky and hosts these gaming marathons a lot so has some experience. I hate that so many charities are bullshit.

USVIrecovery.Org to help us down here in the US Virgin Islands. PR has a lot more people and honestly probably more needs right now but we are in pretty rough shape so help us as well if you can.
I'll add this to the OP when I get home tonight. In the meantime, I'm bumping the thread so people don't forget about Puerto Rico/USVI in lieu of last night's tragedy

reKon

Banned
Got around to sending some money. They will need continuous support. Going to try to do another in the future

The death toll has gone up to 34.

NYT Link

SAN JUAN, P.R. — Puerto Rico’s official death toll from Hurricane Maria more than doubled from 16 to 34 two weeks after the storm as a result of a full accounting intended to add up the piecemeal reports from around the island, Gov. Ricardo Rosselló said Wednesday.

Governor Rosselló said at a news briefing Wednesday that he had commissioned the accounting to add up the reports slow to arrive from devastated hospitals and local medical agencies. The new tally may still not be complete, but it offers the clearest picture yet of the death toll and how people died during and after Maria, he said.

Jackpot

Banned
Are there any updates on the situation on the ground? There's the occasional story on the news but they're mostly detail-free. Have aid workers reached the central parts of the island yet?

Jackpot

Banned
So that's a no then?

All I can find are human interest stories - which serve a purpose - but can't be extrapolated to represent the entire population, stories about Trump, and self-indulgent stuff about how the destruction is a great opportunity for companies to get free PR.

Nothing about the actual status of the island.

Top Bottom