• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pulse Elites come out in a week, where are the reviews?

S0ULZB0URNE

Elites are pretty interesting for music. Especially compared to your beats, you might hear some new sounds!

And for resident evil, it's crazy how much more shooting and empty shells audio is amplified. Elites are great for horror.
The only downside is the clamping making me hear my heartbeat when it's quiet
'Planar Magnetic Drivers'
FTW

They add details to sound that seem like weren't there before.

I was playing Lords of the Fallen and I heard fire popping and cracking. My son tried The Finals and said he heard all types of stuff he never heard.
He took them off and told me to listen and when I did not only could I tell exactly where people were but I could hear bullet shells in the distance.

Pretty good stuff.

Hearing both the differences are large especially the bass and volume.

You must not understand what you are looking at in the video or you would know this.

You made it sound like they are close.

No controversy here, if you don't like what I say don't quote me.

I hope you and other Elite plus Maxwell owners enjoy your investment.
lol man. Were saying the same thing. They’re half the price. They’re not half as good, and they’re also not as good as the maxwells. They’re good for the price. That’s it. If you want to spend double for better, but probably not twice as good, then that’s great. If you want to save money and get something good, these are good.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

Just FYI ... after having the Elite's for roughly 2-3 weeks, I have to return them because the headset will disconnect after 45ish minutes of use. The Link Adapter which needs to be plugged into the USB port in the back of my PS5 Slim overheats and will disconnect the headset. I seem to have to unplug the adapter for like 20 minutes in order for the headset to reconnect to it. Fucking Shame. The headset imo sounds great and is rather comfortable otherwise. If it wasn't for the adapter issue, it's an amazing headset option for the asking price. Not sure if this is simply a Slim issue. Just giving my fellow GAF bros a heads up. Searched Amazon reviews and I don't seem to be the only one with this problem.

Anyone know of a good alternative headset for the PS5?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Just FYI ... after having the Elite's for roughly 2-3 weeks, I have to return them because the headset will disconnect after 45ish minutes of use. The Link Adapter which needs to be plugged into the USB port in the back of my PS5 Slim overheats and will disconnect the headset. I seem to have to unplug the adapter for like 20 minutes in order for the headset to reconnect to it. Fucking Shame. The headset imo sounds great and is rather comfortable otherwise. If it wasn't for the adapter issue, it's an amazing headset option for the asking price. Not sure if this is simply a Slim issue. Just giving my fellow GAF bros a heads up. Searched Amazon reviews and I don't seem to be the only one with this problem.

That’s really weird.
I have fat ps5 and it connects on the front.
But back exhaust can get hot so I guess I can see the issue. Poor design

King Dazzar

So people loving these or what?

Looking to add a wireless headset to a gaming station that will be PS5 and PC gaming only and just wondering how people are feeling about the headset after some time getting to use them
I like them, rather than love them. No issues my side, only minor niggles would be bright led on boom and muffle noises if you move your head. Some have had disconnect problems if you look around the web, though not myself. Noticeably better than the 3D's.

Last edited:

omegasc

Just a reminder that sound is very much subjective and also depends on what each of your ears are able to hear, so let's not get too aggressive defending your favorite headset :messenger_winking:
I use an Arctis Wireless Pro on PS5/Desktop and found it better than the Pulse 3D especially after some tweaks to EQ and Wicked Cushions, but they are a lot more expensive. Pulse 3D is very competent for the asking price - I've plugged it to my laptop, use it every day - and that's what I expect from the Pulse Elites as well. Too bad it has a June release here.
Also, on PC, try EqualizerAPO with the harman target on the Pulse 3D.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Just a reminder that sound is very much subjective and also depends on what each of your ears are able to hear, so let's not get too aggressive defending your favorite headset :messenger_winking:
I use an Arctis Wireless Pro on PS5/Desktop and found it better than the Pulse 3D especially after some tweaks to EQ and Wicked Cushions, but they are a lot more expensive. Pulse 3D is very competent for the asking price - I've plugged it to my laptop, use it every day - and that's what I expect from the Pulse Elites as well. Too bad it has a June release here.
Also, on PC, try EqualizerAPO with the harman target on the Pulse 3D.
I am a crazy fool when it comes to headsets as I have just too many to name as they seem to be one of my main vices

I was looking for a "cheaper" wireless option that works well with the PS5 and sometimes PC and not really looking for the best of the best type of thing

My favorite headsets for gaming are open backs currently rocking the Sennheiser HD 800S when I really want to get serious in a game like Hell Let Loose as the sound stage is unmatched when using open backs.

omegasc

I am a crazy fool when it comes to headsets as I have just too many to name as they seem to be one of my main vices

I was looking for a "cheaper" wireless option that works well with the PS5 and sometimes PC and not really looking for the best of the best type of thing

My favorite headsets for gaming are open backs currently rocking the Sennheiser HD 800S when I really want to get serious in a game like Hell Let Loose as the sound stage is unmatched when using open backs.
The HD 800S are basically end game for both games and music, so you've beaten this game already. It's WAY too expensive for me, unfortunately.
edit: I have yet to try an open back headphone

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The HD 800S are basically end game for both games and music, so you've beaten this game already. It's WAY too expensive for me, unfortunately.
edit: I have yet to try an open back headphone
Open backs are game changing to me.

If a person can allow the sound to leak out and not disturb others they are the best gaming headsets out there

I picked up a pair of Philips SHP9500 awhile back as an open box buy for I think it was $50 and they are surprisingly kick ass for the price, minus a mic but I coupled it with a V MODA mic

Anyone wanting to try open backs I highly recommend those Philips and see they are currently on Amazon for $80 US

TrebleShot

Looking to add a wireless headset to a gaming station that will be PS5 and PC gaming only and just wondering how people are feeling about the headset after some time getting to use them
Hi mate, got about 20 pairs of cans, varying quality.
These are up there as one of the best.

Tonally they are excellent but not the best in class, those would be the Audeze Maxwell or if you want to go wired route, HiFiMan Sundara, but no one wants wires.

The problem with the Maxwells is they are not very directional at all, so the gaming 3D effect is almost non-existent. The best is the Elite.

Id highly recommend them, they are my daily now between PS5 and PC.
You need x2 link dongles one for PC and PS5.

Also worth noting these are the best in terms of comfort almost forget your wearing them most of the time.

I have my dongle plugged into a cheap sub-$10 USB hub and it works great, might want to try that. A USB cable is probably way more resistant to the heat, and this lets you put the dongle next to the console for better line of sight.

Still getting random disconnects and crackling noises, especially in the YouTube app

Not sure what this crackling noise is. Seems to be specific to PlayStation Link because playing the YouTube audio through Bluetooth eliminates the issue

Edmund

Hearing that the pulse elite is comfortable is important to me. Because I have elf ears, the WH-1000XM4 makes my ears hurt after using it for half an hour.

Calverz

Open backs are game changing to me.

If a person can allow the sound to leak out and not disturb others they are the best gaming headsets out there

I picked up a pair of Philips SHP9500 awhile back as an open box buy for I think it was $50 and they are surprisingly kick ass for the price, minus a mic but I coupled it with a V MODA mic

Anyone wanting to try open backs I highly recommend those Philips and see they are currently on Amazon for $80 US
I use Philips fidelity x2hr. Very good but no mic. I just googled the v moda mic. I didn’t even know this was a thing. Awesome. Thank you! 🙏🏻

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member

I have used these almost exclusively with my PC in my bedroom since they showed up.

• The dongle provides a great no-signal drop experience (just plug directly into the mobo).
  • I have a giant head with big stupid ears....I can wear these for hours and they are extremely comfortable.
  • The mic quality is manageable, I asked a few folks and they said the mic quality was great.
  • I think the inZone H9s (or whatever they are called) have better ANC, buy overall this headset fits better imo.
  • Battery life is great, spent multiple nights gaming with these and didn't charge them at all till the weekend. Estimate a ~ 3.5 hours of use per night and 8+ on a Saturday.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I have used these almost exclusively with my PC in my bedroom since they showed up.

• The dongle provides a great no-signal drop experience (just plug directly into the mobo).
  • I have a giant head with big stupid ears....I can wear these for hours and they are extremely comfortable.
  • The mic quality is manageable, I asked a few folks and they said the mic quality was great.
  • I think the inZone H9s (or whatever they are called) have better ANC, buy overall this headset fits better imo.
  • Battery life is great, spent multiple nights gaming with these and didn't charge them at all till the weekend. Estimate a ~ 3.5 hours of use per night and 8+ on a Saturday.
Thank you for this

I too am a massive human with a gigantic dome so I like hearing this as most headsets hurt me

I can never find a hat off the shelf to wear, every hat I own has to be ordered :(

Radical_3d

How much worse the Pulse 3D are? Because they are like 50€ cheaper.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Thank you for this

I too am a massive human with a gigantic dome so I like hearing this as most headsets hurt me

I can never find a hat off the shelf to wear, every hat I own has to be ordered :(
yeah same here. Outside of large cowboy hats my dome refuses to be covered!

The thing that usually gets me is the "ear ache" since I have massive ears as well but the cups on these are a stepup from the inZone H9s (imo).

I am using these over the $400 bose release from this year and prefer them over the Sony WHX4 series (skipped the WXH5's due the the AWFUL headset design no collapsible ear cups....dumb)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
yeah same here. Outside of large cowboy hats my dome refuses to be covered!

The thing that usually gets me is the "ear ache" since I have massive ears as well but the cups on these are a stepup from the inZone H9s (imo).

I am using these over the $400 bose release from this year and prefer them over the Sony WHX4 series (skipped the WXH5's due the the AWFUL headset design no collapsible ear cups....dumb)
No affiliations here but Mammoth Headware fits my size 8+ head nicely, if you like baseball hats

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Well the more I look at these, the more ugly they look. But.......

- very comfortable
- sound really very, very good, especially for the price
- maybe it's just me, but I swear they sound better as they broke in, if that's real
- make sure they are sealed over your ears for all the bass to come through

Highly recommended, do not wear in public, lol.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

I am loving it. It is for real this moment of “wow I can hear more sounds than before” which reviewers say with every headphone but I never found it true. Until now. I really can hear more stuff with better directionality.
Sound quality is supreme. It is a rather neutral sound curve but the bass ability is there if it’s needed. It goes deeper than pulse 3d but it’s not as mid bassy out of the box.
It seemed a bit harsh at first but few days of usage and I feel the sound softened a bit.

That way or another, it sounds great for music and awesome for games.

The comfort is so so. The cushions are soft and all. No pain or discomfort but I can hear my blood flow and heartbeat because true seal is too good. If you break the seal with your finger for example, all the sound is gone. So be aware if you have some thick hair or big glasses and the ear cup won’t seal, this will sound like dog water.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Dont like mine at all, in fact want to sell them. They are two small for me, and I dislike the sound from the space around your ear (SEAL) when wearing them. I loved the OLD original Wireless headsets back in the black and blue days but they just were made of crap materials.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dont like mine at all, in fact want to sell them. They are two small for me, and I dislike the sound from the space around your ear (SEAL) when wearing them. I loved the OLD original Wireless headsets back in the black and blue days but they just were made of crap materials.
Sound from around the ear? You mean the heartbeat?
Or sounds around you? Elites start with mic on. I have mine configured to have side time to maximum so my wife talks to me I can enable mic and hear everything. I disable mic for gaming

Mr Moose

Sound from around the ear? You mean the heartbeat?
Or sounds around you? Elites start with mic on. I have mine configured to have side time to maximum so my wife talks to me I can enable mic and hear everything. I disable mic for gaming
That's the one thing I don't like about them. When you turn them on it unmutes mic.

Mr Moose

???
My Elites have been on mute since day one and never unmute.

Mute them from the Dualsense
My PS5 is always muted, but when I turn on the headset it unmutes so I have to press the button on the controller. Maybe if I mute the mic on the headset it will save the state of it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Had these overnighted since I am leaving town for a week very soon and they arrived today

To give you an idea how massive of a human I am these things only fit my head if the top band is closer to the top of my forehead.

They have no chance of sitting properly on my ears if I put the head band actually on top of my head

I am just a huge framed person, I don't feel I am fat at 245 lbs at 6'8" but I am just huge and it sucks finding shit to fit me, everything has to be special ordered

Thanks for your reply though

FrankWza

Sadly that mic picks up everything
The AI mic in the new Pulse releases helps with that.
Had these overnighted since I am leaving town for a week very soon and they arrived today

To give you an idea how massive of a human I am these things only fit my head if the top band is closer to the top of my forehead.

They have no chance of sitting properly on my ears if I put the head band actually on top of my head

I am just a huge framed person, I don't feel I am fat at 245 lbs at 6'8" but I am just huge and it sucks finding shit to fit me, everything has to be special ordered

Unscrew the band. That or out velcro on both sides that hold it open.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member

6'8 245 is great shape...im 6'4 and around 300....so much bigger (around) then you ;)

Sucks these didn't work out for you though! I am bald and the headset rests right on my dome with the ear cups pulled all the way down.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
6'8 245 is great shape...im 6'4 and around 300....so much bigger (around) then you ;)

Sucks these didn't work out for you though! I am bald and the headset rests right on my dome with the ear cups pulled all the way down.
I keep my hair super short, nearly bald and yeah tried these for about an hour and they are just too small.

Not to mention they disconnected 3 times during that stretch on 2 different launch PS5s with the dongle in front.

Back they go

King Dazzar

I keep my hair super short, nearly bald and yeah tried these for about an hour and they are just too small.

Not to mention they disconnected 3 times during that stretch on 2 different launch PS5s with the dongle in front.

Back they go
Part of the reason I warned of the disconnects. Is that a guy on another UK forum, had three different sets all cause him disconnect issues. Yet I and others have had none. Its really weird. He'd tried various ports etc too.

Sorry they didnt work out. They do seem to be a bit of a polarising set, for sure.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Part of the reason I warned of the disconnects. Is that a guy on another UK forum, had three different sets all cause him disconnect issues. Yet I and others have had none. Its really weird. He'd tried various ports etc too.

Sorry they didnt work out. They do seem to be a bit of a polarising set, for sure.
I liked their sound for the price.

Something interferes with signals in my house and we never have figured out what it is as it sometimes knocks our interior security cams offline, always the same ones even after having them replaced but power cycling them has them reconnect

ToadMan

I've had mine for a little over a week now.

So far I echo what's been said here - sound is good for the price - its neutral and controlled, which seems to suit game applications, but you're not gonna get your teeth rattling from deep base vibrations.

Pretty comfortable, great battery life. Yeah they look stupid!

So far I haven't had disconnection issues and the connectivity has been good.

I love that I can listen to Bluetooth and game audio simultaneously right in the headset.

Works well with PC too - didn't need to install drivers or anything. Dongle in USB and that was it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So tried a new pair of Elites since the Best Buy I returned mine to had some new and within 45 minutes it DCed so tried the other PC and it only lasted about 30 minutes before dropping.

Connecting to the front of the non slim versions and heat is not an issue

Something up with these hope they can iron them out with an update or something

A.Romero

I received mine today. Haven't had a chance to test it with any games but music sounds decent (a bit bright) and work calls sound good. They are comfortable but can't comment on how they look as I haven't seen myself in a mirror.

Started the Dolby Atmos for Windows trial to check if it's worth it too.

Later today I will try:

- Helldivers II (PC)
- Diablo IV (PC)
- Deadspace (PC)
- FFXVI (PS5)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I received mine today. Haven't had a chance to test it with any games but music sounds decent (a bit bright) and work calls sound good. They are comfortable but can't comment on how they look as I haven't seen myself in a mirror.

Started the Dolby Atmos for Windows trial to check if it's worth it too.

Later today I will try:

- Helldivers II (PC)
- Diablo IV (PC)
- Deadspace (PC)
- FFXVI (PS5)
Good luck.

I really wish mine would have stayed connected, I think for the price they sound very nice for closed back cans

A.Romero

Good luck.

I really wish mine would have stayed connected, I think for the price they sound very nice for closed back cans
Did you update yours? I haven't done that to mine but they haven't dropped connection so far. I'm connecting through the PSLink dongle connected to a Ugreen USB Hub (I tried connecting to the case as well and they worked). Not sure about latency yet as it is not as obvious in Microsoft Teams or music.

I also want to try the BT connection, maybe during the weekend.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Did you update yours? I haven't done that to mine but they haven't dropped connection so far. I'm connecting through the PSLink dongle connected to a Ugreen USB Hub (I tried connecting to the case as well and they worked). Not sure about latency yet as it is not as obvious in Microsoft Teams or music.

I also want to try the BT connection, maybe during the weekend.
Yeah updated both pairs I tried on 2 different OG PS5s and both dropped plugged in the front.

Unplugging the dongle and plugging it back in reconnected even during gameplay but not doing that :)

Kerotan

'Planar Magnetic Drivers'
FTW

They add details to sound that seem like weren't there before.

I was playing Lords of the Fallen and I heard fire popping and cracking. My son tried The Finals and said he heard all types of stuff he never heard.
He took them off and told me to listen and when I did not only could I tell exactly where people were but I could hear bullet shells in the distance.

Pretty good stuff.
Do the new playstation elites have the planaar tech from audeze?

Top Bottom