• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pyramids of Giza and Orion's belt alignment true?

norm9

In that one exists and is real and the other does not?

With how fast the earth's crust is able is recycle itself as well the bad luck with objects crashing into it leading to catastrophic results, Atlantis is most likely lost to history because of nature.

If not for some plain old good luck, the Mayan pyramids might have been lost forever in the overgrown forests.

BigDes

No one tell anyone but there was an entire pyramid that got looted

Pyramid of Djedefre got looted so bad they even took the pyramid.

With how fast the earth's crust is able is recycle itself as well the bad luck with objects crashing into it leading to catastrophic results, Atlantis is most likely lost to history because of nature.

If not for some plain old good luck, the Mayan pyramids might have been lost forever in the overgrown forests.
Trees growing on something is a bit different than tectonic action. Atlantis is lost to history in the same way westeros and middle Earth are.

I thought it wasn't that the pyramids placement lined up with Orion's belt, but rather those narrow shafts in each pyramid points to each star of OB if you were to look up what the star map would have looked like back then....?

Majmun

Would't be surprised if the star aligment would be true.

They just wanted to recreate the sky -the place where the gods reside- on earth. Positioning the Pyramids that way would take them closer to the gods. Or make them feel like gods, even.

norm9

The stars would have been brighter way back when, making star alignments easier, what with no electricity and all that; unless you believe pyramids were giant electricity generators.

Would't be surprised if the star aligment would be true.

They just wanted to recreate the sky -the place where the gods reside- on earth. Positioning the Pyramids that way would take them closer to the gods. Or make them feel like gods, even.

So, since it's not true, what does that mean for the rest of your romanticized idea?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The stars would have been brighter way back when, making star alignments easier, what with no electricity and all that; unless you believe pyramids were giant electricity generators.

Grain silos man. A brain surgeon told me

Alebrije

Sure, and Stargate is based on true historical events.
stargate5.gif

Yep, Stargate is based on Mcgyver's story , the legendary adventurer from Vietnam war.

Alebrije

Old cultures studied the stars , specially the Mayans and they left us spectacles like this

The pyramid consists of a series of square terraces with stairways up each of the four sides to the temple on top. Sculptures of plumed serpents run down the sides of the northern balustrade. During the spring and autumn equinoxes, the late afternoon sun strikes off the northwest corner of the pyramid and casts a series of triangular shadows against the northwest balustrade, creating the illusion of a feathered serpent "crawling" down the pyramid.

images

https://youtu.be/Zvv9EnBuem4

norm9

Very interesting. That carving on the wall does look like a battery of some sort.

Old culture studied the stars , specially the Mayans and they left us spectacles like this

images

https://youtu.be/Zvv9EnBuem4

I want to go to Chichen Itza. Went to Teotihuacan while in Mexico City last year or the year before and it was really incredible.

Alebrije

Very interesting. That carving on the wall does look like a battery of some sort.

I want to go to Chichen Itza. Went to Teotihuacan while in Mexico City last year or the year before and it was really incredible.

Chichén Itzá is a little more misterious specially if you read about Mayans extrange vanish. Also Palenque is a nice place but Chichén Itzá location is better since you are near Merida a great colonial city and Cancun , Rivera Maya.

Please don't start believing. It's a stylized lotus flower.

akira28

maybe duracells looked different 5000 years ago. why can't it be a big ass glass tube with a laser in it instead of a giant ass stylized flower?

Toxi

Banned
as for the lack of torch smoke. it is true. i was there. i looked at the ceiling. my professor told me the same. again, the fact that you are making things up and saying i am talking about aliens proves you don't want a discussion.
Have you ever considered that if you're going through the effort of doing elaborate interior painting, you're likely wiping off any soot?

Toxi

Banned
Atlantis was first mentioned in Plato's allegories. There are no historical records of Atlantis, even though in Plato's stories Athens went to war against Atlantis. So did all the Greeks besides Plato suffer a collective bout of amnesia, or was Plato just making up a fictional nation for his allegory? An allegory that already contradicts reality by juxtaposing thinkers from different time periods?

It's bizarre that people still believe Atlantis existed. It's like believing the Galactic Empire from Star Wars was real.

When civilizations are lost to cataclysms, which is incredibly rare, the evidence of those civilizations doesn't just disappear. And the Atlantis described by Plato was a wide-reaching empire that conquered and enslaved large parts of the Mediterranean. That's a pretty damn big footprint that wouldn't just vanish without a trace.

I believe in Atlantis as in a lost advanced culture we have no idea about that got bodied by nature but not an actual place called Atlantis with Atlanteans running around.

Toxi

Banned
I believe in Atlantis as in a lost advanced culture we have no idea about that got bodied by nature but not an actual place called Atlantis with Atlanteans running around.
This seems pretty unlikely. Advanced civilizations generally don't vanish entirely, and when they do, it's because of us humans deliberately erasing history. Natural immediate cataclysms certainly don't do the trick because they're very localized in scale.

Take Santorini. It's often used as a "possible Atlantis" by the fringe because of the Thera volcanic eruption that happened there. But while the Minoan settlement on Santorini was certainly destroyed, Minoan civilization continued for centuries outside of Santorini.

akira28

This seems pretty unlikely. Advanced civilizations generally don't vanish entirely, and when they do, it's because of us humans deliberately erasing history. Natural immediate cataclysms certainly don't do the trick because they're very localized in scale.

Take Santorini. It's often used as a "possible Atlantis" by the fringe because of the Thera volcanic eruption that happened there. But while the Minoan settlement on Santorini was certainly destroyed, Minoan civilization continued for centuries outside of Santorini.

they do say that the ones who lived pre-Thera and the ones who came back after were like night and day in terms of advancement.

Top Bottom