• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC performance thread

SomTervo

FYI guys, I think we can change our Windows 10 Region/Language settings to other countries to get better prices on this again. Esp. worth it considering the dodgy port.

I tried it on Ukraine and it seems to be £34 GBP (probably $50) rather than £50 on the UK store. I haven't seen a better UK deal anywhere on this.

edit: let me know if I missed a memo about this not being allowed

edit edit: the numbers are weirdly formatted - my price calculation might have been wrong. It seems either wildly low or wildly high

neilka

Has anyone else made it as far as the first live action episode yet? For me it's fine about 50% of the time and then about 50% of the time it seems to be dropping at least half of the video frames, although the audio plays fine and stays in sync. I would have thought this kind of thing would have been a perfected art by 2016...

Has anyone else made it as far as the first live action episode yet? For me it's fine about 50% of the time and then about 50% of the time it seems to be dropping at least half of the video frames, although the audio plays fine and stays in sync. I would have thought this kind of thing would have been a perfected art by 2016...

It's streaming the live action parts, so make sure you're not using up your bandwidth for other things.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It would be great to have a clear, simple answer on whether the game is worth buying for people who aren't fussed about 4k, about 60FPS or about any high end aliasing etc.

Can i play the game?

Does it run OK?

Without a GSync monitor?

Can i play the whole thing start to finish?

Does it hit 20FPS or below at any stage?

I know it's different for every set up, but too much of this thread is sheer tech gobbledigook. Obviously it warrants that discussion, but some of us just want the bare facts.

I'm not really fussed about 1080p+ and 30FPS+ performance and want to know if the game is worth getting on THAT basis.

Yes, the game is out and indeed launches

neilka

It's streaming the live action parts, so make sure you're not using up your bandwidth for other things.
I'm on a 1Gbps connection with nothing else using it so probably not bandwidth related! The game itself runs pretty well for me so it's a shame that what should be the easiest part is broken.

I want to give Remedy the benefit of the doubt. It's beyond obvious that this was a rushed port and MS wouldn't allow them to delay it any further.

SimplexPL

Supposedly on PC the live action videos are in 4K and not downloadable. Can anybody confirm? (4K should be sharp on 4K screens, at least)

Lister

Banned
Sounds pretty shit.

X1 version for me when it's <£20 second hand.

By that time, unles sMicrosoft drops the ball yet again, the PC version will hopefully be fine and running/looking better than an Xbone (assuming better than Xbone hardware ofcourse).

Can you actually buy it on the store yet? Not that I'm going to but on the W10 store the button is greyed out and it says I don't have hardware that the game requires LOL

By that time, unles sMicrosoft drops the ball yet again, the PC version will hopefully be fine and running/looking better than an Xbone (assuming better than Xbone hardware ofcourse).

Assuming they have half decent sales on the W10 store.

But yeah, possibly. I'd rather play a much better PC version.

Luckydog

I'm curious what res is the game upscaled from when you play in native 720p. 320x180? 640x360? 848x480? 960x540? (that's native Alan Wake res on 360) :D

Sorry to dissapoint, but 960 is a really weak and overpriced card - it's barely faster than 760 and actually SLOWER than 770 (or on par wit it), if I am not mistaken. And the minspec for this game is 760, and according to MS, at min spec you will be able to play at 720p30 in low detail:

So, people with i7 6700K and 980Ti like Yours Truly should expec 1080p60 at max settings. I think this does not seem to be the case, but at least we have a source that we can quote.

This was my hope as this my build. Struggling to decide if I just take the performance drop for stability now and play on the Xbox.

GHG

Gold Member
What performance issues TR had? The only reports from performance I've seen pointed to it performing better than the win32 version (save for sli performance).

This (they keeping the reconstruct tech) has nothing to do with shobby port. That's simply the design choice Remedy made. They have been advocating for games being oversampled before this gen started and that they would pursue less, but more expensive pixels. The reconstruct tech is just the delivery on their vision, enabling the resolution to go down without compromising the smooth look (which is again by design, as clearly noticeable even from the first game showings in 2013).

Also AW came when 360 was already a generation behind compared to the pc Market, this is a game that has some very novelty techs, specially for lighting and that's rendering in 720p and 30fps on xbone, and not even completely locked either, as there's some minor tearing, it was bound to be a heavy game, for god's sake they keep a gbuffer and a voxel representation of the scene at the same time for delivering all their effects (and most likely the resolution of both go higher with the output resolution).

In short, the game is doing much more than many others visually, so it being quite heavy is expected.

What on earth are you blabbering on about? Why on earth would people on the PC want this resolution reconstruction rubbish to be forced in their game? This is a platform where ordinarily there are a ton of options to clean up IQ from lower than native resolutions if that's what you want to do. It's not even like it's helping performance either considering people are struggling on low settings with GTX 770's.

If they feel the tech is so good and want to leave it in the PC version then fine, put it in for the handful of people who might want to use it. But make it optional for goodness sake.

SimplexPL

This was my hope as this my build. Struggling to decide if I just take the performance drop for stability now and play on the Xbox.

If the game is not keeping a rock solid 30fps in 1080p on i7 6700K and 980Ti then all hope is lost. I am still hoping it does.

dsk1210

Anybody tweeted Remedy about the state of this? I don't use it myself other wise I would have had a few things to say.

What performance issues TR had? The only reports from performance I've seen pointed to it performing better than the win32 version (save for sli performance).

On my PC, I got maybe 5% more FPS from the Steam DX11 version (with SLI disabled) running in dedicated fullscreen over running the Windows Store version. In DX12 there was zero difference in performance between the two.

ISee

PCGH.de started their coverage. Normally I try to translate the most important paragraphs real quick but I'm running out of time (leaving the house in 20 mins).

Overall they aren't happy.

Frametimes: R9 Fury - 1080p

frametimey6a9r.jpg

Quantum Break macht zumindest auf einem 60-Hz-Display momentan absolut keinen Spaß, gleich wie stark Ihre Grafikkarte auch ausfallen mag.

Currently Quantum Break is no fun on a 60-Hz-Display, no matter how strong your graphics card might be.

I think waiting to see how this plays out might be the best solution for this game atm.

Sydle

Now I'm really glad I didn't spend a lot of money to upgrade my PC in time for this game. I guess I'll play the Xbox One version.

GHG

Gold Member
PCGH.de started their coverage. Normally I try to translate the most important paragraphs real quick but I'm running out of time (leaving the house in 20 mins).

I think waiting to see how this plays out might be the best solution for this game atm.

That frametime graph...

tumblr_mkxr1uirZZ1rwd0doo1_400.gif

Based on what I am reading there is no REAL 1080p. Is that fair to say?

Pretty much unfortunately.

neilka

Supposedly on PC the live action videos are in 4K and not downloadable. Can anybody confirm? (4K should be sharp on 4K screens, at least)
I'm using a 4K TV and from the look of them I suspect the streaming videos are 4K, or at least greater than 1080p. I'm guessing that the frame drop issue I'm seeing is due to the codec they're using not handling the 4K stream very well - unfortunately there's no way to force it to use a lower resolution stream.

"reconstruction as a toggle"

You don't have to be super tech savvy to realize that aint happening. Here's what (probably) happened with this port. I'm aping a few other people who mentioned it::::

* Remedy kept asking MS to allow them for a PC port (Sam Lake hinted this) and they didn't get started on it till late in the game

* It's not really a UWA game. It's an XB1 port. Game was started in development 5 years ago(?)

* This reconstruction solution is hard coded in the rendering method/engine and would take a lot of resources and time to make it a "toggle". This is just me speculating.

* Feels like a rush job. When did Spencer give that interview where he said (paraphrasing), "Quantum Break, Scalebound and others have been in development for a long time so we dont want to ask the developers to spend resources making ports when they could be finishing the game"..... when was this? December-Januaryish? I wouldn't be surprised if this port was just 3-5 months in the oven. That's after the game been in development for half a decade on a platform that was not UWP

* Feel bad for anyone paying $70 for this. Just wait for a sale. I feel like crap paying $59.99+tax. If I can get 20-25 fps avg @ this faux "1080p" i'll be happy. I've got 3 gb vram right in the middle of minimum and recommended

* Not giving up hope on Win10 and UWAs. I said before QB would be a litmus test but i wasn't aware of these factors; the rush job, the fact it's not really a UWA but rather a long time XB1 game ported over. I'm not sure what game coming out will be the first to really be UWA from the ground up instead of 5 years in dev on XB1 and then a few months shoehorning a PC port. Sea of Thieves? Forza Apex?

Human_me

....How did this get through QA.
I'm pretty sure people would understand if they delayed it by a month or two.

Those framepacing problems look horrendous.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The fuck kinda port job is this? No native 1080P res and 30fps locked engine it seems? I'm sure they'll fix it all at /build though. Just wait for /build...

brau

"reconstruction as a toggle"

You don't have to be super tech savvy to realize that aint happening. Here's what (probably) happened with this port. I'm aping a few other people who mentioned it::::

* Remedy kept asking MS to allow them for a PC port (Sam Lake hinted this) and they didn't get started on it till late in the game

* It's not really a UWA game. It's an XB1 port. Game was started in development 5 years ago(?)

* This reconstruction solution is hard coded in the rendering method/engine and would take a lot of resources and time to make it a "toggle". This is just me speculating.

* Feels like a rush job. When did Spencer give that interview where he said (paraphrasing), "Quantum Break, Scalebound and others have been in development for a long time so we dont want to ask the developers to spend resources making ports when they could be finishing the game"..... when was this? December-Januaryish? I wouldn't be surprised if this port was just 3-5 months in the oven. That's after the game been in development for half a decade on a platform that was not UWP

* Feel bad for anyone paying $70 for this. Just wait for a sale. I feel like crap paying $59.99+tax. If I can get 20-25 fps avg @ this faux "1080p" i'll be happy. I've got 3 gb vram right in the middle of minimum and recommended

* Not giving up hope on Win10 and UWAs. I said before QB would be a litmus test but i wasn't aware of these factors; the rush job, the fact it's not really a UWA but rather a long time XB1 game ported over. I'm not sure what game coming out will be the first to really be UWA from the ground up instead of 5 years in dev on XB1 and then a few months shoehorning a PC port. Sea of Thieves? Forza Apex?

This is when paying the money for someone like Nixxes pays off to get a good port of the game a few months later.

derFeef

:-/

Screens look good though.

Lister

Banned

HOLY SHIT.

Ok, abandon ship. This baby is sinking. What a terirble showing for Microsoft here.

Nokterian

What the fuck and people are willing to pay for this 70 euro's are you kidding me?

....oh.

This is when paying the money for someone like Nixxes pays off to get a good port of the game a few months later.
Only problem with that is people would have been turned off at getting a port a "few months later"...like second class citizens, so MS probably pushed for a simultaneous release. Bad decision.

MUnited83

For you.

ayyyyyy
what a goddamn disaster

brau

Only problem with that is people would have been turned off at getting a port a "few months later"...like second class citizens, so MS probably pushed for a simultaneous release. Bad decision.

Totally a bad decision from them.

The allure from a good PC port comes from a solid port, really good pc enhancements and better framerate, resolution, aa, and all the good stuff.

Shame.. because i was really excited for this game to hit the store on PC. I wonder how long it'll be till all this is fixed. My guess is not anytime soon.

Top Bottom