• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quest 2 Funding Options

JCK75

So my 10 year old son has quite a gaming setup.
His own PC, Steam Deck, Switch Lite, Series S and PS4 Pro.
honestly he tends to do his Samsung Tablet and PC more than anything else..
he has playing games on my valve index quite a few times and was really into it so on his next birthday I'm highly considering just getting him a quest 2.
does this platform have good parental controls and ability for me to get him gift cards he can use to buy games?

calistan

I got a Quest Pro the other day, which is basically the same thing, and one of the first things it does when you set it up is say 'not for under 13 years' and shows a video of a parent grabbing a curious kid before it can reach the headset.

Not sure if that's because you can't create an account for under 13s, or just because it will melt young eyeballs (like how Nintendo had to warn everyone that Virtual Boy and 3DS were not suitable for the very young). Anyway, because of that I doubt it has very strong parental controls.

JCK75

I got a Quest Pro the other day, which is basically the same thing, and one of the first things it does when you set it up is say 'not for under 13 years' and shows a video of a parent grabbing a curious kid before it can reach the headset.

Not sure if that's because you can't create an account for under 13s, or just because it will melt young eyeballs (like how Nintendo had to warn everyone that Virtual Boy and 3DS were not suitable for the very young). Anyway, because of that I doubt it has very strong parental controls.
I mean 13 year olds are still bad about spending tons of money on mobile if not controlled.
I think that was because you had to be 13 to have a facebook account but don't believe that's still required to run one..
I think they suggest no VR before the age of 6.

calistan

I mean 13 year olds are still bad about spending tons of money on mobile if not controlled.
I think that was because you had to be 13 to have a facebook account but don't believe that's still required to run one..
I think they suggest no VR before the age of 6.
Yes, you only need a Meta account now, which is separate from a Facebook account. The safety video was weirdly specific, a parent working at a PC and not using the Quest, grabbing a kid by the belt when she tries to pick the headset off the desk.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with my daughter using VR, it can't be any worse than staring at a tablet or sitting in front of a giant TV. The headset is just too big for her though.

JCK75

Yes, you only need a Meta account now, which is separate from a Facebook account. The safety video was weirdly specific, a parent working at a PC and not using the Quest, grabbing a kid by the belt when she tries to pick the headset off the desk.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with my daughter using VR, it can't be any worse than staring at a tablet or sitting in front of a giant TV. The headset is just too big for her though.

So under 6 it's a health issue with their eye sight.. then it becomes an issue with content and having spaces they can encounter people online and toxic BS..
I'm on top of that stuff already with his gaming PC.. I just don't want him spending money without my authorization

Cyberpunkd

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Why does a 10 year old need 5 separate gaming devices? If this is not a definition of a waste I don’t know what is.

Ozriel

M$FT
honestly he tends to do his Samsung Tablet and PC more than anything else..
he has playing games on my valve index quite a few times and was really into it so on his next birthday I'm highly considering just getting him a quest 2.
does this platform have good parental controls and ability for me to get him gift cards he can use to buy games?

Might as well wait for the quest 3, this late in the game.

Top Bottom