• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R.U.S.E. |OT| Of Feints and Schwerpunkts

Valru said:
As strategy games Civ Rev and RUSE are not even in the same league.

Brilliant. But if we were talking about Starcraft, it'd be a different story, right?

Not sure how're you're comparing the both of them. I simply stated where my preferences lie, you're speaking as though it's fact. It was a good try, though.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Mission #5 is driving me batshit insane. I've secured the city/destroyed the German HQ and now I'm on the objective where you need to score 1000 points. There is a British general that needs you to flank some Germans, and I go and do it, but he doesn't press forward after I do his dirty work, so the main German force comes out and destroys me. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I'm so goddamned frustrated.

edit: Weird... I just watched this gameplay vid, and in it, Whetherby has already defeated the force that he is hung up on in my game, and he proceeds with the attack and everything goes smoothly. I think I just need to start the mission over. I've lost two evenings to this fucking mission.

kerrak

I had similar problems with this mission, and had to restart instead of continuing from checkpoint.

Before taking the HQ, help Weatherby in your left flank softening or annihilating his opposition.
Take the HQ in the center.
Take out nearby AT guns.
Now Weatherby will begin his decisive advance.

Liberty4all

Banned
Ok so far so good. I am 5 missions into single player. the campaign introduces the game elements slowly in order to give you a good grasp on the elements. i kept losing mission 2 until i realized the importance of having cross firing lanes for artillery (line of sight and placement of static artillery pieces is VERY important as you don't want to have to worry about changing their positione once engaged.

LOVE LOVE LOVE how the ruses change gameplay. constantly scrolling out to get a better grasp of the grand picture, as well as changing my tactics accordingly depending on my overall strategic position. Can already see that mp is going to be a blast.

Game plays more like a war board game than rts. Love it

Pachimari

Just tried out the demo from PlayStation Store for the first time. It works really well with the PlayStation Move I must say, it's really fluid with the whole zooming and turning of the camera. Selecting units is easy as well, just hold in the T-button (or was it the Move button?) and then float the cursor on top of the ones you want to select. Pretty awesome controls.

BradleyUK

I really want to buy this game but I have promised myself I would never buy an Ubisoft product ever again after they lied to me about Chaos Thoery on the PS2.

:(

Liberty4all

Banned
Combat is very much rock paper scissors. Armour decimates infantry. Heavy armor takes out light armor. Infantry takes out artillery. Artillery is devastating against armor. 3 artillery pieces took out almost 8 of my medium tank. Basically you have to hold back your infantry to use against enemy arty pieces. Arty pieces you use to support your armor advances. Ruses let you know enemy positioning as well as flanking maneuvers. I'm still only a little ways in but really enjoying this. Fights can get super desperate. Turtling is totally a viable tactic ... Let them rush in and smash them before advancing. i assume though human players will be a lot smarter than the ai.

i hate auto correct on ipad

Liberty4all

Banned
Captain Pants said:
Mission #5 is driving me batshit insane. I've secured the city/destroyed the German HQ and now I'm on the objective where you need to score 1000 points. There is a British general that needs you to flank some Germans, and I go and do it, but he doesn't press forward after I do his dirty work, so the main German force comes out and destroys me. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I'm so goddamned frustrated.

edit: Weird... I just watched this gameplay vid, and in it, Whetherby has already defeated the force that he is hung up on in my game, and he proceeds with the attack and everything goes smoothly. I think I just need to start the mission over. I've lost two evenings to this fucking mission.

Turtle up. I pulled everything back, let them come to me and my artillery smashed the german armor. The first time I rushed in and got slaughtered. there is a lot of baiting in the game ... Try to feint an advance, then retreat, let them follow into your arty range

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
BradleyUK said:
I really want to buy this game but I have promised myself I would never buy an Ubisoft product ever again after they lied to me about Chaos Thoery on the PS2.

:(

My policy is to never a punish the dev team of a good game just because their publisher is stupid.

Bamelin said:
Turtle up. I pulled everything back, let them come to me and my artillery smashed the german armor. The first time I rushed in and got slaughtered. there is a lot of baiting in the game ... Try to feint an advance, then retreat, let them follow into your arty range

That is my plan when I start over tonight. It just turned out that I should have fought some more enemies before destroying that German HQ. The checkpoint save I was loading up had saved in a spot where I couldn't win.

Liberty4all

Banned
Still can't decide what I think of this uplay stuff. It's like getting double achievements/trophies I guess.

I'm sad this game isn't getting the hype it deserves. Even on a pad this by FAR the best controls for an RTS ive seen on a console.

Not sure why this isn't resonating with the GAF crowd in a bigger way. I mean, the Ubisoft issue with DRM isn't an argument since Eugen dropped it, and RUSE is different game to Starcraft. It's getting good reviews...

I dunno, maybe it'll be a slow burner.

Loving it so far. I like the way it ramps up the campaign complexity as you progress, although I suppose that's pretty standard these days.

A few early screenshots (PC) - it's a great looking game.

There was one thing I noticed... the US flag in some of the cut scenes appears to be the 50 star pattern. Oops! :D

Captain N

I might pick this up to go with the Playstation Move. It looks pretty sweet and I will be trying the demo tonight.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Pylon_Trooper said:
Interestingly, Three Moves Ahead are allegedly doing a RUSE show! Either next week or the week after, so that should be interesting!
Really ?
During the BETA they said that Ruses were just a gimmick. lets see what they think now.
(BTW, the game improved tonz from the BETA, specially control wise)

Finally getting a feel for how the different factions play against each other.

I was trying to play USSR vs Germany on medium difficulty, and was having a pretty tough time. I tried to use the USSR's strengths as much as possible (artillery apparently) and would hold off quite well for the first 3/4s, then the Germans would always send stacks and stacks of Panzers and steamroll their way through to HQ and destroy it.

I think my problem was playing too defensively, so I tried France and had a much easier time. The Germans just couldn't break through my artillery and AA guns, and I only needed tanks to make the final push to wipe out their HQ.

This is all against the AI of course. No way I'm attempting multiplayer yet. :/

On an unrelated note, I've noticed Fraps won't work when RUSE is running. It works in every other game, and is even running when RUSE starts up, but I have no overlay or screen capture abilities. Not sure how to fix it.

Varth

Pylon_Trooper said:
Be sure to tell us your opinions on the demo.

Well, it's one of the games that improves most with Move+NaviCon over the pad, that's for sure. Tried the demo first with Move+pad setup, then (when I got mine from Axelmusic) with the proper one, and was amazed at how different each battle went. Difference between the "halfbred" and the optimal move setup are only related to long term comfort, since holding pad halfway is obviously not cozy.

Never had precision issues, and ended up being pretty quick in splitting evenly forces out of a giant mass of soldiers and tanks or picking specific units. Overall, I would really advise buying that to test the controller along other titles.

glaurung

This game intrigues, as do many Ubi and Clancy games... even the ones that turn up crap in the end.

What I am interested in is the differences between the difficulty settings. Could someone who has played the game extensively comment on that?

Bamelin said:
Still can't decide what I think of this uplay stuff. It's like getting double achievements/trophies I guess.

I'm sad this game isn't getting the hype it deserves. Even on a pad this by FAR the best controls for an RTS ive seen on a console.

Well I'm partly interested in the game but I'm waiting for Move to see how it plays with the demo and make my mind up then... But as far as the pad controls it does seem decent.

Gentlemen, two things!

First, my copy of RUSE has arrived! Brilliant stuff. Tonight, I will be shifting units around and gaining tumescence due to the act.

And secondly, I've managed to get a little RUSE podcast happening. A fellow in the States and I kicked off our first episode - we're yet to throw it to iTunes, but it'll happen ASAP - so if you're interested in giving feedback or just having a listen:

RUSEHQBroadcastLogo.jpg

Archive.org Link
Direct Link

"The debut episode of the RUSE HQ Broadcast, a podcast about Eugen Systems' World War II operational level strategy game. Joey Desperado and Alex Connolly kick off the premiere episode talking about their anticipation and first impressions of the game, along with their favourite initial moments."

Enjoy!

Corto

^^ Nice! Will give a listen when it comes to iTunes. I'll buy R.U.S.E. in a bundle with Move this friday so you guys will have all the fun before me... Damn you! :D

Pylon_Trooper said:
Gentlemen, two things!

First, my copy of RUSE has arrived! Brilliant stuff. Tonight, I will be shifting units around and gaining tumescence due to the act.

And secondly, I've managed to get a little RUSE podcast happening. A fellow in the States and I kicked off our first episode - we're yet to throw it to iTunes, but it'll happen ASAP - so if you're interested in giving feedback or just having a listen:

RUSEHQBroadcastLogo.jpg

Archive.org Link
Direct Link

"The debut episode of the RUSE HQ Broadcast, a podcast about Eugen Systems' World War II operational level strategy game. Joey Desperado and Alex Connolly kick off the premiere episode talking about their anticipation and first impressions of the game, along with their favourite initial moments."

Enjoy!

Awesome! Downloading now. :D

After some experimenting I think my favourite faction for skirmishes is the USSR. Build up artillery and pump out the T-34s and I can hold out forever. I've not tried against a full on British air assault though, so might have to try that out next.

Lastplayed, I can't wait to read how your USSR arty/tank combo fairs against something like a Brit air assault!

Just played the intro missions and am holding ground in Kasserine right now. This game is SOOOO good. Even with a controller, it's fantastic. Eugen, I love you.

EDIT: Just submitted to iTunes, so I'll let you guys know when it'll be available. I've set up a quick transit point between the archive.org and feedburner/iTunes, so if you want to nab the RSS or whatnot, go HERE.

On a whim, there's an FB community page if you're interested.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Pylon_Trooper said:
Gentlemen, two things!

RUSEHQBroadcastLogo.jpg

Archive.org Link
Direct Link

Enjoy!
AWESOME !!! My work day will be better then. ^___^
You should make a little website for the podcast.

Question: While playing Skirmish against the AI is it possible to save the game so i can continue later?

Fersis

Pylon_Trooper said:
I'll check that question for you, Fersis! The website is really just a little stopgap for the podcast. The other guy on the podcast has written a lot more HERE on his site.
Thanks man, listening to the podcast right now.
You should put some awesome banner for the podcast in the OP.

EDIT: =/ My headset is busted.

Hope you enjoy it. It's my first ever piece of audio production, so it might be a little iffy. However, all feedback is not only welcomed, but requested!

I'll put something in the OP when the iTunes link goes live.

Played about 3 hours of the 360 version so far - and it's a'ight. At first my problem was I was trying to get too specific with the units and their commands. I liked to zoom way in and give orders to individual units, but the overall system is just way too clunky for that. Having the cursor 'stick' to units can be frustrating. It's also difficult to position units accurately on the terrain. i.e. on the edge of a forest or 'garrisoned' in a city. Anyways, the game really seems like it wants you to zoom out and command the overview of the battle, as opposed to micro management. Perhaps the later levels will better accommodate this.

The graphics are pretty poor, with muddy textures and a lot of pop-in.

The interface also seems a little clumsy - and maybe even buggy. The game keeps cutting in with mid-mission cutscenes which can get a little maddening at times when you just want to play.

I like the overall concept though - large-scale warfare and the use of ruses. It's neat. And I imagine the PC version would help clear up a lot of my issues.

Great find, Fersis. RedDragon did a heap of terrific Endwar vids, and it's great to see him working on RUSE. Seriously, a man to watch.

And to the poster above, it's true...the PC version would fix your issues with graphics. It really isn't a micro game, though. That much is true.

Fersis

Hey Pylon_Trooper, Ubisoft community manager said he really enjoyed your podcast. (I sent him the link.)

Pylon_Trooper said:
Lastplayed, I can't wait to read how your USSR arty/tank combo fairs against something like a Brit air assault!

See for yourself! :D They weren't as aggressive with the air power as I hoped, but damn those Typhoons hit hard. You can see how many AA guns I had trained on any one Typhoon, but they still managed to destroy their target before being taken down.

It was only on medium so I had plenty of time to build up my forces and gradually outscore them. It obviously wouldn't be so easy against another human opponent.

Great podcast btw! I see what you mean about the rocket tanks. They look impressive and have a good range, but can't seem to hit anything.

PoweredBySoy said:
Played about 3 hours of the 360 version so far - and it's a'ight. At first my problem was I was trying to get too specific with the units and their commands. I liked to zoom way in and give orders to individual units, but the overall system is just way too clunky for that. Having the cursor 'stick' to units can be frustrating. It's also difficult to position units accurately on the terrain. i.e. on the edge of a forest or 'garrisoned' in a city. Anyways, the game really seems like it wants you to zoom out and command the overview of the battle, as opposed to micro management. Perhaps the later levels will better accommodate this.

The graphics are pretty poor, with muddy textures and a lot of pop-in.

The interface also seems a little clumsy - and maybe even buggy. The game keeps cutting in with mid-mission cutscenes which can get a little maddening at times when you just want to play.

I like the overall concept though - large-scale warfare and the use of ruses. It's neat. And I imagine the PC version would help clear up a lot of my issues.

Yeah, a lot of the problems you mentioned are non existent on the PC version. It looks great and controlling individual units is a breeze. How fast can you zoom in and out on the console versions? Using the mouse wheel it's as quick as you can scroll it, so I find myself zooming in and out quite often when I need to get a little more precise with my unit movements.

Cheers for the rundown, LP. Something very dogged about Brit air power. And glad you enjoyed the podcast. It'll be a lot more full on actual gameplay discussion with the next, fear not.

Yeah, we've got Faction comparisons in the works, plus hopefully spotlighting things from the community at large. Joey's on the case with the faction stuff, too.

Any ideas and thoughts would be welcomed!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Arrived in the mail today, wee :D. I'll be reviewing it for PALGN.

When I get around to the multiplayer, would any of you cats be up for a game?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Master race.

Zzoram said:
So why is this mediocre strategy game coming out against Civilization V again?

Thanks for contributing both on the utterly redundant comparison of turn-based vs. real-time and on a game you've obviously no interest in. If you're lucky, we'll put your esteemed musings in the OP.

Top Bottom