• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R2 Button on Dualshock 4 sticking.....again.

meanspartan

I don't understand why this is a problem. This is how 90% of the people on COD already play.

(I have nothing constructive to add)

It was pretty hilarious doing it with a bolt-action sniper rifle. It would reload itself and then keep firing.

Pimpwerx

Having the L2 or R2 trigger get stuck down has happened to me with four separate controllers now since Destiny came out (over the course of around 700 hours of play time). It is the only time I've ever had a controller break on me, and I've owned just about every console since the PS1.

Honestly it's completely unacceptable and something Sony needs to fix. The build quality on the PS4 controllers is just flat out poor. I've also experienced the touch pad having resistance to getting clicked down on the left hand side (because I primarily press down on the right hand side), and the material on the analog sticks peeling off.

Now admittedly, I apply a lot of pressure when pressing buttons. I have a habit of pressing down the triggers hard when playing shooters. That said, I'll reiterate... it has never been a problem with any other controller I've owned.

Edit: I think the issue I've had is actually different than what the OP posted. My issue isn't the spring, but a small piece of plastic in the trigger actually breaking. When pressing the trigger down, the trigger leans to one side rather than pressing down evenly. Simply replacing the spring would not fix the problem I've encountered - my controllers are actually broken and have to be replaced. Like this:
Exact problem I have. On both my controllers, no less. I guess I'm the Incredible Hulk when gaming. PEACE.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Only thing I've had go wrong with my pre-launch DS4 is the swipe pad stopped swiping (button still works) but I account that to me pulling it apart a number of times 😂

Spineker

Banned
I had this exact problem about a month ago and a very nice woman at my local game store replaced it under warranty. I really hope the newer generation controllers don't have this same problem because if I encounter it again after I'm out of warranty, I'll be proper pissed off.

There's a few EB Games here with six playable PS4 booths in them. Literally every DS4 I've seen at them are peeled either completely off, or horribly deformed.

red731

My DS4's R2 is screwed too.
It isn't clicking, but the friction between different pressings is audible. Squeeze like noise.

Anarion07

So yesterday while playing DriveClub i ran into an R2 issue.
Gets stuck halfway, one side hanging further down like in the pic on the first page.

What's that deodorant trick people are talking about?
What kind?

Jigolo

Remember when we used to Google stuff like this instead of make a whiney thread about everything

I removed the springs from one of my controllers. It works like a charm, but is maybe TOO sensitive. I barely brush against L2 and I'm aiming down a scope. Either it eventually worked out or I got used to it, because I love that controller now.

CyberChulo

I suggest if people with these issues are brave enough, open the controller, unplug the LED ribbon cable and take off whichever button is the problem and snap it back in. If it's the L2 or R2 make sure you don't loose the spring.

ColEx

2. Some youtube DIY repair vids suggest just taking out the spring entirely. If anyone has done this, does the R2 button still feel ok? I don't want it to feel too mushy so will just buy more springs if I have to.

Dont do this, i did this after watching one of those vids with some guy saying the pad triggers feel so much better without springs. Without the springs the triggers become loose, and have no tension when being pressed, and like you mentioned they become mushy.

Fortunately parts on the pad are really easy to replace, i replaced the triggers springs and analog sticks on my pad with no issues.

Riptwo

I had this happen to two controllers within days of each other. I sent them to Sony in November for repair and only got one back. I spent more time on the phone to ensure that they were sending the second controller, and I got a shipping notice on Dec 4 followed by...nothing. Time to call again. I love and hate the DS4 so much right now.

Be careful with the springs if you're gonna take apart the controller.

a) You don't want to lose them, which can be easy
b) It's possible they get bent - in my case, the R2 spring got bent and the loop became too large. When put back together, the R2 had less tension, and not sensitive enough. Games like Destiny where firing specific guns is pressure sensitive (ie Sniper Rifle or Handcannon) would no longer fire unless I pressed on the R2 very hard - which will make twitch games difficult.

guek

Banned
Both L2 triggers on both of my controllers have broken and now hang lower to one side. Upon disassembling the controller, the cheap plastic nub that keeps it place has split on both of them. The triggers themselves are so cheaply made, I'm not surprised in the least they didn't hold up. What the fuck, Sony.

ZServ

After having my ps4 for over a year and putting 300+ hours into it, one of my triggers went. So I went on amazon and ordered replacement triggers. 5 minute fix, super simple.

Sorry to revive this topic but I can't create one yet and this is getting ridiculous.

I have two DS4 controllers. One I bought in February 2014, the other in September, with the white Destiny bundle.

I broke the R2 trigger 3 times on each controller, and L2 twice.

I chose to open my controllers to see what the issue was and it has nothing to do with the metal spring. It's actually the tiny plastic hinge which holds the trigger in place. The plastic quality is obviously shit, so if you "press the trigger too hard" it will eventually break, and the trigger will start to stick and get stuck half the time.

I take great care of my controllers and I never had any issue before buying DS4s.

Sony never acknowledged nor corrected the issue, but a quick ebay search confirms the demand for R2/L2 triggers is quite high.

GavinGT

Banned
Sorry to revive this topic but I can't create one yet and this is getting ridiculous.

I have two DS4 controllers. One I bought in February 2014, the other in September, with the white Destiny bundle.

I broke the R2 trigger 3 times on each controller, and L2 twice.

I chose to open my controllers to see what the issue was and it has nothing to do with the metal spring. It's actually the tiny plastic hinge which holds the trigger in place. The plastic quality is obviously shit, so if you "press the trigger too hard" it will eventually break, and the trigger will start to stick and get stuck half the time.

I take great care of my controllers and I never had any issue before buying DS4s.

Sony never acknowledged nor corrected the issue, but a quick ebay search confirms the demand for R2/L2 triggers is quite high.

Yep, same shit happened to me. Along with a plethora of other issues that I was able to fix.

So far I've been able to fix everything, but now it's held together with super glue and toothpicks (even more so than it was when I bought it).

Tigress

I love hate it so hard. It is my favorite controller of all time in regards to how it feels, but it is built with fucking paper or something.

Last month I played my old Ps2 for the first time in years, and the old Dualshock 2 while not as comfortable is a sturdy son of a bitch compared to the DS4

While I agree the ds4 is crappy quality, I can't agree the ds2 was better. I've yet to have a ds2 controller last more than a few months. And I mean not even like the ds4 where it has issues but still works. Like buttons just stop working entirely. I've had the best luck with ds1/playstation 1 and ds3 controllers.

I fixed a controller I bought on craigslist pretty easily (replaced the joystick), and my friend's R2 trigger had a broken hinge, so I replaced that as well.

My recommendation, jump on eBay or AliExpress and pay a few dollars for a replacement shell, and just swap the pieces that break when they do. It's not terribly difficult.

That said, yeah, build quality on the PS4 controllers sure ain't what it was on the DS2, but I remember running into lots of problems with DS3.

guek

Banned
Both my R2 triggers on my two dual shocks broke, had to buy the parts to replace them. My left thumbstick on one is about half pealed away.

The DS4 is a piece of dog shit

Aceofspades

Banned
I noticed the R1 sticking on launch unit, all problems disappeared on later colored units ( got white and blue controllers).

Sony definitely improved the quality of the sticks and rubber materials on later units (talking about colored units, IDK about later black controllers)

Pjsprojects

Both my DS4 controllers have had new R2 buttons twice along with Xbox one sticks.
Great features but utter rubbish build quality.

Sony UK replaced my launch controller a couple of months ago for free. They just sent me a new one. There is a hardware issue form you can fill in online. Give it a go (on mobile, will get link in a bit if you need it).

Duxxy3

Ordered another 10 pack of analogs last month. Should probably order some replacement triggers at some point. The build quality of the controller is awful, but at least the parts are user replaceable.

Sony UK replaced my launch controller a couple of months ago for free. They just sent me a new one. There is a hardware issue form you can fill in online. Give it a go (on mobile, will get link in a bit if you need it).

I know I'm going to keep breaking triggers anyway, so I'd rather not do it on brand new controllers, just keep the old ones and replace the triggers myself. Takes five minutes.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I only had problems with L1 and R1. One night of The Pinball Arcade made them unusable. And one application of WD-40 made them not stick again through another year and a half of abuse.

Laws00

So I just got this problem. I'm about to try to get some off brand R2 buttons

lord why street fighter WHYYYY

nib95

Banned

Just loosen the screw on the back of the controller next to the R2 button in question. Usually the squeaking is because the case surrounding it has been over torqued and is rubbing against the trigger.

Drackhorn

Ordered another 10 pack of analogs last month. Should probably order some replacement triggers at some point. The build quality of the controller is awful, but at least the parts are user replaceable.

It may be just me but isn't that just the problem, that it is user replaceable? We shouldn't have to bother about these things in the first place if Sony did their job right.

Laws00

Just loosen the screw on the back of the controller next to the R2 button in question. Usually the squeaking is because the case surrounding it has been over torqued and is rubbing against the trigger.

no the little hing on the controller snapped off when you press it down.

I need to get a replacement button

Anybody know any off brand websites or buttons I should order from?

It really is a poorly manufactured and designed controller.

Sony needs to step it up next gen, their history with pathetic gamepads is prolific.

A shame because they generally get most other things right.

Purest 78

The button didn't break The pin broke. Sony decided to use a plastic pin instead of a metal pin like the Ds3. Surprisingly you can remove the broken part of the pin and it'll start working again.

GametimeUK

I have yet to encounter sticky buttons. My left analogue stick sometimes goes unresponsive when I'm moving forward, though. It's a split second thing and really annoying when it breaks me sprinting in games.

SaitoH

I feel lucky to be in the minority here, but my two launch controllers are in the same state I got them in and I play a lot.

Both my DS4 controllers have trigger issues. One it's L2 the other it's R2. I either rant drive properly or can't shoot properly. I have to pick the lesser of two evils each time I play as I'm not spending $70 on a new controller. Fucking sucks.

Mindlog

Both my DS4 controllers have trigger issues. One it's L2 the other it's R2. I either rant drive properly or can't shoot properly. I have to pick the lesser of two evils each time I play as I'm not spending $70 on a new controller. Fucking sucks.
I've had the same problem with mine. It's a really poor build on a part that's going to see a lot of wear.
Something like this may help.
So do I. I'm onto my 3rd one and it's always the R2 trigger that breaks on me, so I bought some of these, and haven't have a problem since.

My two launch controllers are perfect, no trigger issues, no mushy d-pads, no thumbstick wear.

Last Christmas, my wife bought me the Blue DS4. After about a month, it got a Sticky R2 Trigger. And what I mean is, when you pushed it in, right when you put pressure on it, it felt kinda stuck, you had to put a little more pressure on it than normal. It did this every time.

I tried the mechanical pencil trick, using some oil, spraying compressed air into the trigger. Finally, after further inspection, I could tell the trigger was getting stuck against the controller (the blue part of the controller) on the very bottom and back of the trigger. Its at the point where the trigger goes into the controller when you press it.

I took an exacto knife, and scrapped away a bit of the controller (NOT THE TRIGGER) to give the trigger more room to go into the controller when you push it. Now the trigger works perfectly and has never stuck since. That was a month ago. I used to hate that Blue DS4 because of the sticky trigger, now I use it as much as the rest.

Related to the DS4, do any of you know how to fix analog stick drift? My left thumb-stick keeps slightly drifting. I took the controller apart last night but that didn’t fix the issue. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help :)

Hugstable

Banned
It really is a poorly manufactured and designed controller.

Sony needs to step it up next gen, their history with pathetic gamepads is prolific.

A shame because they generally get most other things right.

Next gen? I'm sure we are going to be getting a controller redesign for the DS4 this gen, it's just a matter of when. No way do I see them wanting to go the whole gen with a controller that has high chances of needing to be replaced after awhile (as long as within that one year warranty) and having the low battery life that it does.

Sjefen

I have 2 DS4, and haven't had any issues with any must be lucky I guess. The DS3 was a fucking disaster, cant count how many I bought over the years

Top Bottom