• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon RX Vega thread

Middle Earth: Shadow of War - Benchmarks:

4kokjdv.png

144051k4c.png

10804cjx7.png

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-10...amm-mittelerde-schatten-des-krieges-3840-2160

Finally ordered a Vega 64 because NewEgg's eBay store has them for $557 again. Didn't end up waiting for the LC because they're up to $800 (damn!) and i want to have a GPU again.

so i installed the the alphacool eiswolf 240 closed loop water cooler on my vega 56 today.

https://www.alphacool.com/shop/-neu...ool-eiswolf-240-gpx-pro-amd-rx-vega-m01-black

20171031_142158_hdrkln2uxb.jpg

20171031_165715klein4vsrv.jpg

20171031_171817klein56sh9.jpg

20171031_181611klein7sssr.jpg

20171031_181751klein1ls07.jpg

the process of getting this thing on was a bit unnerving for a watercooling newbie and took me like 5 hours or so till running, but the results are pretty awesome.

am doing some benchmarking right now. seems to be getting to the higher factory overclocked 1080 territory in firestrike right now while beeing dead silent.

all in all i think you'll have a hard time finding a more potent watercooled GPU for that "cheap".

gathered lots of data. will take some time to make that presentable. little sneak peak:

temptimespy12sws.png

im running the 64 liquid cooled bios on the 56 now. timespy was stable. in firestrike the card wanted to clock to 1.800 Mhz on stock settings... lol. crashed obviously. so i had to downlock it manualy.

firestirckgscoreejs7m.png

RoboFu

One of the green rats
so i installed the the alphacool eiswolf 240 closed loop water cooler on my vega 56 today.

https://www.alphacool.com/shop/-neu...ool-eiswolf-240-gpx-pro-amd-rx-vega-m01-black

20171031_142158_hdrkln2uxb.jpg

20171031_165715klein4vsrv.jpg

20171031_171817klein56sh9.jpg

20171031_181611klein7sssr.jpg

20171031_181751klein1ls07.jpg

the process of getting this thing on was a bit unnerving for a watercooling newbie and took me like 5 hours or so till running, but the results are pretty awesome.

am doing some benchmarking right now. seems to be getting to the higher factory overclocked 1080 territory in firestrike right now while beeing dead silent.

all in all i think you'll have a hard time finding a more potent watercooled GPU for that "cheap".

Dude yes i got the same thing the other day. It’s the best purchase to compliment my Vega 64. The fan on the stock models got so loud.

Leonidas

Glad to see the prices down. Saw a Vega 64 for under MSRP recently, hoping the same happens to Vega 56, or at least a game bundle or something considering the cards have been out for a few months.

Raja Koduri leaves AMD.
https://hexus.net/tech/news/graphic...a-koduri-radeon-technologies-boss-leaves-amd/

No replacement so far, Lisa Su will oversee RTG.

He was hired by Intel. I wonder what this means for RTG going forward.
http://www.pcgamer.com/amd-radeon-b...-to-work-on-integrated-and-discrete-graphics/

llien

He was hired by Intel. I wonder what this means for RTG going forward.
http://www.pcgamer.com/amd-radeon-b...-to-work-on-integrated-and-discrete-graphics/

I believe he was effectively fired first, then hired at Intel, not vice versa. (just based on the timeline of events)

Raja, on the other hand, knows a lot about AMD and GPU design in general, so it's a good buy for Intel.

Overall, I'm still glad he left, Polaris was ok-ish, Vega, despite Vega 56 being quite competitive, is meh as a product for AMD. (much more expensive to manufacture than 1070)

joesiv

I believe he was effectively fired first, then hired at Intel, not vice versa. (just based on the timeline of events)

What series of events? What I see is that RTG has been working with Intel for some time given the announcement of the semi-custom deal. It's possible that intel has been courting him for a while.

Given AMD's "investment" into RTG, it didn't really set Raja up for success, it'd be obvious for anyone to see that from the outside (compared to Nvidias development resources). In terms of vision, and forward looking architecture, especially in compute, Vega is quite good actually.

For all those saying AMD should fire Raja, I'm very interested what Raja can do with an actual budget behind him at Intel.

As a bonus, he might actually have a regular 80hr work week at Intel, with a much bigger salary, lol. Good on you Raja!

dr_rus

In terms of vision, and forward looking architecture, especially in compute, Vega is quite good actually.

I've heard this several times now. Could you give me an example of improvements in compute which Vega brought compared to, say, GCN3?

llien

What series of events? What I see is that RTG has been working with Intel for some time given the announcement of the semi-custom deal. It's possible that intel has been courting him for a while.

Raja Koduri is taking a 3 months break from AMD followed underwhelming Vega launch (which was preceded by a series of embarrassing presentations)

Given AMD's "investment" into RTG, it didn't really set Raja up for success, it'd be obvious for anyone to see that from the outside (compared to Nvidias development resources).
This argument can be played in AMD vs anything, pretty much. Intel's R&D > AMD's total revenue.

In terms of vision, and forward looking architecture, especially in compute, Vega is quite good actually.
I'd ask for citations.
Vega 56 is a competitive product from consumer point of view (it has good perf/$ on its own, plus no hidden adaptive sync tax), but it's a flop for еру company: a huge die with expensive memory.

For all those saying AMD should fire Raja, I'm very interested what Raja can do with an actual budget behind him at Intel.
I don't expect miracles, but long term, given that AMD manages to recover on both fronts, it could become too dangerous with GPU + CPU synergy.

Buying nvidia (100 billion mcap doesn't feel reasonable to me, when I compare it to Intel) was not an option, I guess, so they'll build their own Luna park, with blackjack and hookers.

Jigolo

Someone local to me is selling their gaming PC for $999 ($1000) with these specs

- Ryzen 7 1800X with wraith cooler
- Sapphire RX Vega 64 Liquid cooled
- 16GB Corsair 3000mhz DDR4
- 500GB SSD Samsung 960 m.2
- 850 Watt gold rated psu with RGB
- MSI B350 Gaming Pro mobo
- In Win 301 black / red edition
- Windows 10 Pro Activated

Here's a picture

00t0t_j4xzlXmnBzd_600x450.jpg

My question is this deal good?

Seronei

Someone local to me is selling their gaming PC for $999 ($1000) with these specs

Here's a picture

It would be closer to $1500 new. Doesn't seem like a bad deal.

Here's a picture

Its a pretty good deal though you might want to change the motherboard, seems kind of low end compared to all the other stuff.

joesiv

Raja Koduri is taking a 3 months break from AMD followed underwhelming Vega launch (which was preceded by a series of embarrassing presentations)

Apparently Raja has been talking about moving to Intel since 2016.
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/05/27/from_ati_to_amd_back_journey_in_futility

My new take on it is, Raja wanted to move to Intel last year, Lisa probably told him to finish Vega before moving on. Vega got finished, he took a sabbatical, probably previously agreed on by the two of them, then moved on.

Here's a picture

Good deal if everything is in good condition. Buying used tho you never k ow how much out of spec/improper use the components have been out through

thelastword

Banned

Here's a picture

Nice deal, I would just change the mobo to a x370 and would prefer 3200Mhz or 3600Mhz Ram, but that's a spendid deal....primarily because a Vega 64 LC costs $700.00 all on it's own.....Hell, if you add $400 for the 1800x, that's already $1100.00

Also, does this PC have a regular HDD as well?

an x370 MB doesn't gain you any performance. so it would be a total waste of money to change to that. OC options of the MSI B350 boards are more than sufficient.

Top Bottom