• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiant Historia |OT|: Change the Past to Save the Future

Volcynika

q6FuY.png

~~~~~~~
SUMMARY
~~~~~~~

The kingdoms of Alistel and Granorg are at war. As a result, terrible things have happened and will continue to happen - things that may even threaten the fabric of the overarching world of world of Vainguer. This war must be won, ended, or both and Stocke is the one chosen to make it so. Stocke is an agent in the Special Intelligence division in the kingdom of Alistel. Beyond his skill with a blade, he is entrusted with a miraculous tool, the White Chronicle. This amazing book allows him to see beyond the present into other times. Combined with the help of two unforeseen allies, the White Chronicles eventually allows Stocke to actually travel through time to change things that should never have been and channel history into the path that it was meant to unfold.

~~~~~~~~~~
BASIC INFO
~~~~~~~~~~

Boxart
DrlOF.jpg

~~~~~~~~
FEATURES
~~~~~~~~

• Restore the True History - With the power of the White Chronicle, the crossroads of time is yours to traverse. Jump back and forth across various turning points in history in order to save your world from destruction.
  • Your Choices Matter - Difficult decisions face you at every turn. Who will you side with? Who will you choose to help? Your choices progress the story and bring you to drastically different ends. Return to previous choices to initiate changes whose effects ripple throughout the timelines.
  • Classic Turn-Based Combat - Take your party of three warriors into combat, battling enemies within range of your 3x3 grid.
  • Push Your Foes Around - Use the turn order and your special ability to manipulate the positions of enemies on the field to set up combination attacks and gain the upper hand.
  • Flexibility in Combat - Change allied character's positions on the board when it best suits the situation to level the most damage possible against enemies.

~~~~~~
IMAGES
~~~~~~

LUeTA.jpg
3ootS.jpg
5IZRU.jpg

BQYC6.jpg
MpoZw.jpg
0o9Mr.jpg

NOOKo.jpg
kK4hl.jpg
TEIol.jpg

~~~~~~
VIDEOS
~~~~~~

Trailer
Time-Traveling Walkthrough
Developer Walkthrough

~~~~~~~
REVIEWS
~~~~~~~

Game Informer: 8.8/10
IGN: 8.5/10
Destructoid: 8.5/10
RPGamer: 4.0/5.0
RPGFan: 9.1/10
Wired: 9/10
Nintendo Power: 8.5/10
1UP: B+
GameSpot: 8.0/10

stupei

Game looks so good. I honestly don't know if there's a lot of hype, though, and it's worrying. Seems like I haven't heard much talk about DS games on GAF lately. (Other than 999.)

Swag

Is the 3DS backwards compatible with DS games? If so will be picking this up when I eventually pick up my 3DS

Oxx

It's going to be an almighty battle to see if either of my imported RPGs (DQ6 or Radiant Historia) arrive in time for me to put in serious progress before the Poke-juggernaut crushes everything.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Holding off for this because of DQVI & Tactics ogre. But I'm definitely going keep a eye out on this thread for impressions.

I have no real time to play this game at the moment, there's been so many rpgs released recently, but I'm not letting it pass on by. Definitely grabbing a copy for the standard post-hardware launch drought.

hamchan

Good reviews but I feel way too overloaded with RPGs to play this on release. So I'll probably be seeing Radiant Historia a couple of years from now when I remember it exists.

branny

Volcynika said:
  • Classic Turn-Based Combat - Take your party of three warriors into combat, battling enemies within range of your 3x3 grid.
  • Push Your Foes Around - Use the turn order and your special ability to manipulate the positions of enemies on the field to set up combination attacks and gain the upper hand.
  • Flexibility in Combat - Change allied character's positions on the board when it best suits the situation to level the most damage possible against enemies.

Based on what I know of the story/localization and music, it's completely up my alley. I really want to buy it, but I seriously doubt any of my enjoyment will stem from actually playing it. Is the battle system any good? Would it satiate someone who is unfairly demanding of amazing gameplay? :(

How does the battle system eventually work out? Does it progress or open up at all by the end or remain the same the entire way through? It looks kind of like Atelier Iris with a heavier focus on controlling enemy placement, but in videos this seemed unbalanced in the player's favor. Manipulating turn order seems novel, but is it even a necessary mechanic for success? I don't know much else beyond those two things. I've watched every video I could find (particularly because I wanted to know what the battle theme was in the OST), but there's like no info on this game. Is it hard? Are there multiple, well-tuned difficulty modes? Does it support opportunities to employ creative strategies or is everything linear? Or worse, is it mindless and spammy? Is there a good balance between tinkering outside of battle and strategy within battle? Do enemies resist certain attacks? Is there an elemental weakness system in place? What is character progression like? What makes party members unique and how does the party dynamic affect battle? Is there a job class system? How do skills work? What's equipment do? What's good and well-designed? What's useless and ill-conceived? How deep/complex/layered/unique is the battle system in general, and how do other gameplay mechanics contribute to its success/failure? Is there a lot of postgame content to support people who enjoy exploiting every little quirk? Are the developers aware of such players and have system mechanics in place to encourage/discourage that level of play? Etc., etc.

Spwn

Pre-ordered! Can't wait for this game. Not probably getting it on launch day as it takes some time before it reaches Finland, but I have serious faith that this will be one of the best RPGs this year.

vall03

most anticipated game for the month along with Ys 1&2 Chronicles! The soundtrack is quite good too as expected from Yoko Shimomura.

I feel bad though that I passed on DQVI and Tactics Ogre since Im very busy...

Chesskid1

Banned
not gonna lie, i don't really like the little people art from the battle screenshots, but i have faith in this game and it'll grow on me.

add some music tracks to the OP maybe?

The music is also quite beautiful. Yoko Shimomura (who did the music for Super Mario RPG and Kingdom Hearts) created a haunting and emotionally stirring score that adds an extra layer of depth to the already heavy narrative. Pair this with the stellar graphics, involving story, and innovative gameplay, and you're left with an RPG that should not be missed.

from the IGN review. can't wait to hear the music, been avoiding soundtrack spoilers :) i love games with a deep story + tough decisions that will affect the game + Yoko music? hell yes!

mrpeabody

branny said:
Based on what I know of the story/localization and music, it's completely up my alley. I really want to buy it, but I seriously doubt any of my enjoyment will stem from actually playing it. Is the battle system any good? Would it satiate someone who is unfairly demanding of amazing gameplay? :(

You might benefit from reading the import impressions thread. Wouldn't hurt to link it in the OP as well.

MechaX

Ezalc said:
Isn't this the game with those unholy footstep sounds? Did they fix that?

Given what I've seen from the preview footage, I don't think they did. Definitely one of those "What were they thinking?" moments.

Glennct

Can't wait! I heard so many good impressions on this game, and not to mention the time travel element which I love in games-movies-books... really hope this game delivers.

Az987

all good things
I ordered this yesterday since it was only $29.99 @ Amazon. I probably won't be playing it for a while though since I just started Tactics Ogre the other day.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Ezalc said:
Isn't this the game with those unholy footstep sounds? Did they fix that?
You seriously don't notice it in the game. It's much less prominent than in that trailer, and anyway you're too busy soaking up Shimomura's wonderful soundtrack to pay attention.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Ugh, I wish it was coming out today. My schedule is perfectly set up for some handheld gamign.

branny

mrpeabody said:
You might benefit from reading the import impressions thread.

There was very little detailed information in that thread, though. I mainly just want to know if difficulty ramps up enough so that people who quickly grasp the ins and outs of each mechanic won't fall asleep after an hour.

It's 30 dollars on Amazon right now, so I'm probably going to get it anyway. I'll most likely enjoy everything else about it... At the very least, I've bought games based solely on their battle themes before (Valkyrie Profile 2, Lost Odyssey, etc.), and this one has my approval in that area. Fans of Shimomura who haven't heard this game's OST yet will not be disappointed.

I just don't want Radiant Historia to be another Chrono Trigger because I can barely stand that game. Sorry, ChronoGAF. :(

NichM

Banned
Yay, it got an OT! I was beginning to worry.

I realize Tactics Ogre and DQVI are pretty heavy hitters in the portable RPG department (hell, they'd be heavy hitters on any system) but I hope this one doesn't completely get passed by. It's an original game with a really cool story and some fun battle mechanics too.

Oxx

If it does get lost in the RPG glut and 3DS launch hype Atlus could do a marginally-updated 3DS version like they are doing with Devil Survivor game.

Emitan

Oxx said:
If it does get lost in the RPG glut and 3DS launch hype Atlus could do a marginally-updated 3DS version like they are doing with Devil Survivor game.
I hope they do. I need a 3DS game to play besides Street Fighter IV.

Oxx said:

I sure as hell hope not. No more DS to 3DS ports please.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Will be buying mine when it hits. Will also be saving it for the 3DS. lol

I've been storing up on DS games lately.

Emitan

Kintaro said:
Will be buying mine when it hits. Will also be saving it for the 3DS. lol

I've been storing up on DS games lately.
Saying it like this makes my backlog feel less ridiculous.

mjc

I'm getting this right away too, although I've got quite a bit of handheld games to work my way through before I get to this.

Emitan

Kintaro said:
*brofist*

I've had good luck tracking down good DS titles for much less lately.
I've been getting great games for $15 on Amazon. The GBA games I've been buying have actually been more expensive!

Hobbun

Already have this preordered, so of course will be picking this up day 1.

Good story, classic turn-based combat...just perfect for me.

Dresden

Another game I'll buy but won't play until months have passed.

edit: hmm, the import impressions are nice. You don't need the L/R triggers to play, right?

Top Bottom