• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

I don't get it, if Rage really does need OpenGL 4.2 in order for transcoding to work, id is doing even more to fuck over everyone who doesn't have top of the line cards.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Refreshment.01 said:
But chances are that even with poor performance it'll look better than consoles, so don't send it back.
I don't really give a shit.

Performance is most important, and if it is unable to load textures properly and runs at a lower framerate, there's no reason for me to stick with it. Sounds like the console versions holds 60 fps without any problems while the PC struggles (which boggles my mind).

Biggie

TheExodu5 said:
-_-

Well, I'm supposed to be receiving the PC version today from Futureshop, as I pre-ordered it during E3 for $40. I guess it's going back now. $5 sale for me.

Same deal, I'm going to keep it, just think of it as a free game for buying 3 other games. I have too play the game made by one of the fathers of PC gaming.

dark10x said:

Performance is most important, and if it is unable to load textures properly and runs at a lower framerate, there's no reason for me to stick with it. Sounds like the console versions holds 60 fps without any problems while the PC struggles (which boggles my mind).

I still think id gave the wrong code or something, how the hell did this game pass QA with this horrible pop in?

Edit: I couldn't even tell you the last game or if there has been any game i have played with such horrible texture loading.

Twinduct

piratepwnsninja said:
But the fact of the matter is we're six years out of that on consoles, so on PC with a new engine like this there is no excuse for it to happen. And to be honest, the UE3 texture pops on consoles weren't as bad as RAGE is even on PC, because in RAGE it is happening everywhere, all the time.

I'm a very forgiving guy when it comes to games, so I am hoping this is just a tech issue that can be fixed because I really do want to play and enjoy it. But as it stands right now, I can't.

I agree, but doesn't change the fact that I'm still enjoying it at the moment. honestly I think if you can get past the tech issues, there is a decent game beneath it.

TheExodu5 said:
-_-

Well, I'm supposed to be receiving the PC version today from Futureshop, as I pre-ordered it during E3 for $40. I guess it's going back now. $5 sale for me.

Yeah it's a strange choice, but it doesn't pain me too much, The car's viewpoint is pretty responsive and until now I have yet to actually be killed or lose a fight due to not being able to view my surroundings with ease. Then again, considering the way it's been received, a lower price point will show up sooner than later

DaBuddaDa

EvilDick34 said:
I still think id gave the wrong code or something, how the hell did this game pass QA with this horrible pop in?
Na, they put out a game that needs driver support that AMD is unable to provide by the time of launch. It's both of their faults for not getting this all sorted out months ago.

This doesn't bode well...still, patches will come. It all just seems very bizarre that a game shipped with so many issues.

And damnit, I really hate the short end of the stick ATI card owners get dealt a lot of the time. I've got the new drivers installed...but we'll see how it runs when it unlocks.

Sysgen

EvilDick34 said:

Edit: I couldn't even tell you the last game or if there has been any game i have played with such horrible texture loading.

You know this was published by Bethesda?

Also is this true :lol

you are asked to not shut your computer off while the game is saving data.

Geoff9920

DaBuddaDa said:
Na, they put out a game that needs driver support that AMD is unable to provide by the time of launch. It's both of their faults for not getting this all sorted out months ago.
Exactly. If you need beta drivers at the time of release just to make your game functional you're majorly dropping the ball. Clearly the PC version was an afterthought for id.

Rewmac

Banned
I'm sad to see that I waited for this game so long and I've just read a couple articles about the performance problems on the PC. The textures aren't loading and all the overall level of details aren't really HD 2011 rather seems much older. Currently I see PCs as the strongest machines if configured right and the easiest to make games for, so I don't get how a studio like ID couldn't pull off a decent PC development. Since I just bought a new PC after 8 years I wanted to have all my games for this platform. I own both current generation HD consoles, but I just felt PC is becoming better and better.

derFeef

Pylon_Trooper said:
This doesn't bode well...still, patches will come. It all just seems very bizarre that a game shipped with so many issues.

And damnit, I really hate the short end of the stick ATI card owners get dealt a lot of the time. I've got the new drivers installed...but we'll see how it runs when it unlocks.
It's the second game now with the checkered textures after Brink. Would have thought both (AMD and Beth) would have figured out a solution.. but no.

dark10x said:

Reminds me of Black Ops PC Singleplayer. Badly optomized.

dark10x

Kabuki Waq said:
monitor cloning? is that like duplicate displays? i am running my GTX 580 flawlessly so far on the monitor and my VT 25. what is the 24hz bug?
Yes, duplicate monitors.

With those three nVidia cards I've used in the past, the monitor designated as "monitor 2" would often display a tear line. It isn't like normal tearing, rather, a distinct split in the image that only impacted that display. Now, with the 460, it only occurred when non-native resolutions were selected, so it was less problematic, but it was still something that annoyed me.

Secondly, the 24 Hz bug crops up in a few games that use DX10 or 11 (such as Crysis and Crysis 2). Basically, if one of your monitors supports 24 Hz, the game will simply use the first and lowest refresh (which is 24) resulting in a choppy experience. There was no way to solve this, as far as I could tell, and it was annoying.

Reminds me of Black Ops PC Singleplayer. Badly optomized.
I actually played through Black Ops on my PC and the framerate was flawless for me even with SSAA enabled.

dark10x said:

Just be patient my non shit giving friend. If they fix the problems in PC it will shit all over the console versions in terms of image quality. If you haven't been so anxious to play it on release, you wouldn't be lamenting yourself and taking (possibly) yet another bad decision. That's why when purchasing video games (software or consoles) is always a good idea to wait some days to let the dust settle. That's a valuable lesson a reasonable gamer should know by now.

Hype fucks up everything my friend.

Refreshment.01 said:
Just be patient my non shit giving friend. If they fix the problems in PC it will shit all over the console versions in terms of image quality. If you haven't been so anxious to play it on release, you wouldn't be lamenting yourself and taking (possibly) yet another bad decision. That's why when purchasing video games (software or consoles) is always a good idea to wait some days to let the dust settle. That's a valuable lesson a reasonable gamer should know by now.

Joke Post?

Rewmac

Banned
derFeef said:
It's the second game now with the checkered textures after Brink. Would have thought both (AMD and Beth) would have figured out a solution.. but no.
True. Bethesda games seem a little off now and then. At least the ones they don't develop themselves. Full of glitches. The worst part of the internet world is that now every company can release a glitchy game and patch it afterwards.

dark10x

Refreshment.01 said:

Yes, but I've been looking forward to this for quite a while and was planning to enjoy it today. I had no intention of waiting.

I just want a great experience on day 1 and I don't think that's too much to ask. This is id software and I expected better. Doom 3 was cutting edge back in 2004 and, even on my middling PC, the performance was phenomenal. It was one of the first PC games I could simply install, load, and begin to play without having to spend time fiddling. It just worked and it worked beautifully. I'm simply surprised that the next id game would then have so many issues.

Rewmac

Banned
54-46! said:
Actually what I wanted to say that it's the easiest to support games for the PC (for example patches). I do know that the easiest dev kit to work with in the Hd generation is currently the Xbox 360, at least that was the easiest to work with a year ago or so.

Refreshment.01 said:
Spoken like a true fanatic, always look for the positive even on the negative. You deserve praise and admiration my friend.
Its definitely a negative. I work in IT though and I love tweaking and all that. Trust me, if I'd gone through this recently I wouldn't want to touch it until it was fixes. Just so happens that the games I've been playing of late on PC have had zero issues.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think I'm going to stick to Valve and Blizzard releases only on day 1. Too many issues lately with developers not giving a shit about the state of a game at launch.

Deus Ex, Red Orchestra 2, Dead Island...these past few months have been terrible for PC games at launch.

dark10x said:
Yes, but I've been looking forward to this for quite a while and was planning to enjoy it today. I had no intention of waiting.

I just want a great experience on day 1 and I don't think that's too much to ask. This is id software and I expected better. Doom 3 was cutting edge back in 2004 and, even on my middling PC, the performance was phenomenal. It was one of the first PC games I could simply install, load, and begin to play without having to spend time fiddling. It just worked and it worked beautifully. I'm simply surprised that the next id game would then have so many issues.
But there's a very fundamental problem with your course of action. You are unhappy with id yet you are willing to equally compensate them by grabbing one of the console versions instead of PC. While at the same time screwing yourself from the potential better version of the game.

Feeling displeased you shouldn't let the fucking company see any of your money... period.
AgentOtaku said:
Joke Post?
If that's how you wanna to refer to good advice then by all means pleasure yourself Otaku :)

Mastperf

Refreshment.01 said:

There's so much wrong with this I don't even know where to start. This is a game 7 years in the making...made by John Carmack and the folks at id. John Carmack...7 years. To say it should have been a safe bet is an understatement.

Rewmac

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I think I'm going to stick to Valve and Blizzard releases only on day 1. Too many issues lately with developers not giving a shit about the state of a game at launch.

Deus Ex, Red Orchestra 2, Dead Island...these past few months have been terrible for PC games at launch.
True, but most console versions suffer from a lot of problems as well. Mostly because the games are rushed by the publisher and a the development teams aren't able to actually finish it to the state of 100% most games come out after very little beta testing. Bethesda now seems he joined EA in the rushing out games community.

TheExodu5 said:

EAs have been good. I had zero issues with crysis 2, Alice, dead space 2 and nfs hot pursuit all day one. i hope for battlefields sake that it too will have no issues. I've forgotten what a nightmare a PC game can be on day one. That's why I'm perversely looking forwards to it.

It'll remind me why consoles are great. It'll remind me to appreciate a game that gives me no issues day one.

Mastperf said:

There's so much wrong with this I don't even know where to start. This is a game 7 years in the making...made by John Carmack and the folks at id. John Carmack...7 years. To say it should have been a safe bet is an understatement.
Am I misremembering things to say doom 3 launch wasn't smooth for ATi owners? Still this looks on another level of broken.

dark10x

But there's a very fundamental problem with your course of action. You are unhappy with id yet you are willing to equally compensate them by grabbing one of the console versions instead of PC. While at the same time screwing yourself from the potential better version of the game.

Feeling displeased you shouldn't let the fucking company see any of your money... period.
So I should just pirate the game instead?

Make no mistake, I will play this game one way or another. I'm not going to hold off simply because that's what a consumer should do.

I don't believe the PC version is ever going to be that much better. The only improvement is brings is image quality (higher resolution), but that alone doesn't make a huge difference. This is one of the rare instances where the console versions run as well as you'd expect a PC version of the game.

I'm happy to compensate them for the hard work they put into the console version, but am disappointed this didn't translate to the PC. Doesn't mean I'm going to avoid the game, though.

Am I misremembering things to say doom 3 launch wasn't smooth for ATi owners? Still this looks on another level of broken.
You are mis-remembering. I was using a Radeon 9700 Pro when Doom 3 hit and it was one of the smoothest, most polished day 1 PC experiences I had ever had at that point. A far cry from the terrible terrible launch of Half-Life 2 that would occur later that year. Doom 3 was absolutely pristine on ATI hardware.

garath

TheExodu5 said:

I agree about Red Orchestra 2 and Dead Island but Deus Ex was fine day 1. I had that pre-loaded and played for about 10 hours (thanks vacation day) before even checking the internet to see the state of things.

But I'm starting to step back in general and not pre-order anything. Despite any hype and previews, with no reviews prior to release there's no way of knowing if the game lives up to expectations and delivers for my hard earned $60. There's WAY too many cheap games I haven't played yet to drop that much money on unproven stuff.

So actually I'm with you. Valve and Blizzard only for PC day 1.

Mastperf

Buy it for the 360 now and get the PC version later, dark. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to just sit down and enjoy the game.

So why does the ps3 have much less pop in versus the pc, in fact the X360 does not have this nasty pop in/texture loading like the pc. What gives? I have more ram then both of these consoles 10 times over and yet pc suffers from this, i just can't believe id/Bethesda would release a game in such piss poor shape.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Mastperf said:
Buy it for the 360 now and get the PC version later, dark. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to just sit down and enjoy the game.

Yah we should all buy the game twice. /sarcasm

JdFoX187

Banned
Wake up this morning to see all this bad news about the PC version. Glad I switched my order over to the 360 a couple days ago. Just had a feeling.

StuBurns

Banned
Regards of technical issues, this is a shooter, and no matter how long it takes them to finish the PC version, it will be in superior controls if nothing else, and for a shooter, I can't imagine any factor weighing more heavily in your platform decision.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
plagiarize said:
So did ATi release a second driver for rage today, different to the one released yesterday? If so any impressions with that yet?

DLing the drivers now for it we shall see the other drivers were trash and caused screen flicker stick with 11.6

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
undercoverb0ss said:
Yea, what's the deal with this new driver?

Jumped on to try it out. FPS bumped up a tad, and now the lighting flickers and models vanish from time to time.

Texture streaming still shitty. I don't think it changed anything.

dark10x

StuBurns said:
Regards of technical issues, this is a shooter, and no matter how long it takes them to finish the PC version, it will be in superior controls if nothing else, and for a shooter, I can't imagine any factor weighing more heavily in your platform decision.
Was planning to use a gamepad, though, so it really doesn't make a difference.

DaBuddaDa

plagiarize said:
So did ATi release a second driver for rage today, different to the one released yesterday? If so any impressions with that yet?
No, there is no second driver, that's the same one that was released last night. Apparently it does jack shit to fix any problems outside of a small boost to framerate, and even causes a few new ones.

Stahsky said:
Jumped on to try it out. FPS bumped up a tad, and now the lighting flickers and models vanish from time to time.

Texture streaming still shitty. I don't think it changed anything.

Ugh I'm seriously tired of this bullshit with ATI. I have 6970s in CF but it looks like with all these problems I'm not going to be able to play this game.

I'm ready to sell these cards and jump ship to nvidia.

Top Bottom