• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage PC perfomance thread

dark10x said:
I'd be curious to see if it really holds a steady 60, though. The PS3 version holds 60 fps 99.9% of the time. No hitching, stuttering, or pausing here. It's surprisingly perfect.

I finally got the game to run at 60 on my PC, but there are still minor hitches here and there (infrequent, but present). The PS3 version just feels more consistent, believe it or not.

Still, those are impressive numbers for an older card. Makes me realize how fucked up this ATI situation has been.

It truly is glorious to behold in motion. One of the finest looking games I've played. It lacks the complex lighting and shaders of many other games, but it provides a full scene level of detail the likes of which I have never seen. It really does give the impression of playing through concept art (or at least concept art mapped onto polygons).
yeah, and personally, give me a game that's got lower texture resolution, but no tiling over a single nice sharp texture that's everywhere.

the textures may look worse, but the 'scenes' don't. those look better for it. granted i'd have pushed up the textures of doors you have to go through to character levels, cause you have to get pretty close to those.

it's going to be really interesting seeing where this technology goes. there's no reason that in a couple of years we couldn't be seeing higher res textures and real time all the time lighting with this way of texturing the world.

right now resolution is the only drawback, and it doesn't negate the many many advantages for me. a lack of real time lighting isn't something games that lack it tend to get criticised for. this only gets hit for it because Doom 3 had it.

Mirrors Edge doesn't get slammed for having pre calculated lighting. nor should it.

TheOctagon said:
Have we established yet whether they shipped the PC version with the exact same textures as Xbox 360? I've grabbed up-rendered shots from 360 games that looked better than half the stuff I'm getting from Rage on PC.

http://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/118508707142316032

@belkheldar the texture are exactly the same on all platforms.

They are exactly the same. I think people even compared the files from the ISOs/Discs and stuff and found what Carmack said is true.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
right now resolution is the only drawback, and it doesn't negate the many many advantages for me. a lack of real time lighting isn't something games that lack it tend to get criticised for. this only gets hit for it because Doom 3 had it.

Mirrors Edge doesn't get slammed for having pre calculated lighting. nor should it.
Exactly. I love realtime lighting, but it is not a necessity. Many of the most beautiful games this generation rely on pre-calculated lighting.

epmode

Jubbly said:
Just use the Steam launch options to add +cvaradd g_fov 15 (that's for a 1080p 16:9 screen). You can fiddle with the figure to find a value you like.
What's a good value for a 16:10 screen? I don't understand why they're using such a strange value instead of a straight 90, 100 or something that makes sense.

plagiarize said:
yeah, and personally, give me a game that's got lower texture resolution, but no tiling over a single nice sharp texture that's everywhere.

the textures may look worse, but the 'scenes' don't. those look better for it. granted i'd have pushed up the textures of doors you have to go through to character levels, cause you have to get pretty close to those.

it's going to be really interesting seeing where this technology goes. there's no reason that in a couple of years we couldn't be seeing higher res textures and real time all the time lighting with this way of texturing the world.

I think they could have made additional detail maps to enhance the detail of the core megatextures eg when you get straight up next to a wall, the detail map would add additional definition to the underlying surface of the megatexture, and I suspect the only reason they didn't do this is to maintain 60fps on consoles. If the tech is compatible with something like what I said, it would make a big difference IMO..

Also given that something like Crysis 2, has <500mb dedicated for all kinds of textures, I don't think that the lack of detail maps was that they didn't have space for them. Either the tech is incompatible with them, or there was no memory/rendering power to hit 60fps on consoles if they would include them.. Here's hoping for Doom 4..

Hit my first graphical glitch, the usual character flickering in Wellspring. Not game-destroying, but I wanted to check out the Mayor's mighty fine waistcoat.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
epmode said:
What's a good value for a 16:10 screen? I don't understand why they're using such a strange value instead of a straight 90, 100 or something that makes sense.

The default field of view is 80. The g_fov cvar varies it by whatever value you choose; for example, g_fov 20 would result in an in-game field of view of 100.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if this has been answered already, but what can I expect from a GTX 280? (With an i7 2600k)? Or I'm better of with the Ps3 version?

JaseC

Lonely1 said:
Sorry if this has been answered already, but what can I expect from a GTX 280? (With an i7 2600k)? Or I'm better of with the Ps3 version?

You'll be fine with a 280 and the 8k config (see post #2).

epmode

JaseC said:
The default field of view is 80. The g_fov cvar varies it by whatever value you choose; for example, g_fov 20 would result in an in-game field of view of 100.
This is appreciated!

I like 90 in most stuff so I guess I'll go with 10.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Tokubetsu said:
Hope those new AMD drivers hit today.

No shit. I've tried every config possible and while the textures look better now, the streaming/popping is still god awful. The framerate is crap too and should be a lot better.

Another thought.. I wonder if someone could manage to open the megatextures themselves is an image editing program.. I wonder if doing the usual, simple, stupid, things that people do to "improve" textures, like applying a mild sharpening filter or adding a little noise to make them look more busy, would help some areas. Of course objects that lack definition will still lack definition, but others that have some blurry detail, they will become more focused.

Because I don't see anyone creating new megatextures from scratch (or having a machine(s) fast enough to compile them)....

Mastperf

I have a question for the pc gamers on here. What type of display do you use for gaming? With the poor motion handling abilities of lcd, it seems like a bad fit for hardware that handles motion and resolution so well. Are you guys using crt and plasma?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
JaseC said:
on a regular 16:9 tv i found setting g_fov 10 to bring the default field of view to 90 feels perfect

JaseC

Mastperf said:
I have a question for the pc gamers on here. What type of display do you use for gaming? With the poor motion handling abilities of lcd, it seems like a bad fit for hardware that handles motion and resolution so well. Are you guys using crt and plasma?

I use a ~4-year-old low-end 22" Dell LCD and it's fine. I intend to upgrade to the Dell U2711 (27", as the name implies) at some point, preferably before the first Uni semester of 2012 as, in addition to (more) accurate colour reproduction, I'd like to be able to edit 1080p footage and still have some screen real estate left over. The response time is higher, but I think it'll fall short of being noticeable.

bloodydrake said:
on a regular 16:9 tv i found setting g_fov 10 to bring the default field of view to 90 feels perfect

By the time g_fov was brought to my attention, I had grown accustomed to the default field of view so I didn't bother changing it. Something for next time, I suppose.

SHarris78

Can't even get the game to load, just getting a black screen and have to close it in task manager. Tried the newest AMD drivers for Rage but still nothing. How on earth was this game allowed to ship in this state?

Is there a fix / incomming fix for this issue?

No_Style

belvedere said:
No shit. I've tried every config possible and while the textures look better now, the streaming/popping is still god awful. The framerate is crap too and should be a lot better.

Well that answered my question from the other thread.

Long weekend & no new game makes me a sad panda.

Here's another thing. Is there actually any depth of field going on in this game? I know it's in the engine, and the early videos used it excessively (to cover up the absolute vomit behind the characters, probably). I haven't seen it in-game yet, though, and none of the dof-related cvars has any effect. Would be great to really crank it up and get some character portraits.

lqd

Neo Member
Claytron said:
So it seems like Catalyst AI is to blame, at least for me, for the constant 4-5 second freezes.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1237718-freezingstuttering-issues/
If I follow the above link and fully disable Catalyst AI the stuttering/freezing is completely gone, the only problem left are the texture artifacts. The black or missing squares of textures everywhere (I think there was a similar problem early in the thread). I guess I'll have to hope and wait for tomorrow.

edit: Comp Specs
AMD PhenomII x2 550 @ 3.5GHz
4GB RAM
1GB 5870

Yes, that's it. I've tried everything to get rid of constant stuttering with no effects.
Disabling Catalyst AI finally helped but textures are obviously fucked now.
So I guess we have to wait for a new driver to be released.

garath

epmode said:
This is appreciated!

I like 90 in most stuff so I guess I'll go with 10.

I went with 90 on my 16:10 monitor and I like it. 90 is usually my "go to" FOV in other games as well.

I think someone once posted that something like 86.xx is perfect for a 16:10 but I'm fond of 90.

scitek

lqd said:
Yes, that's it. I've tried everything to get rid of constant stuttering with no effects.
Disabling Catalyst AI finally helped but textures are obviously fucked now.
So I guess we have to wait for a new driver to be released.

For me, it was RadeonPro causing the stuttering. If you're using it, close it and use CCC and force vsync and triple buffering there instead.

Damn, RAGE is unplayable

I tried a combination of solutions from Steam forums and GAF but still the game is freezing every second and texture pop in are everywhere

Spec:

ATI RADEON 5570 1GB
3GB RAM
Dual-Core processor 2.60GHz
Windows 7 64 bit OS

Seems to be okay on my PC. But I have two issues; texture pop-in is a bit too slow and textures don't always seem to meet up i.e I can see lines on people, rocks etc.

GTX480 (280.26 drivers)
Phenom IIx4 955 @3.2ghz
8GB DDR3

Any pointers to clear these issues up? Apart from that it's pretty good.

Hypatia

Used the config in the first post and updated my drivers... games been running amazingly.

Except during my 3 hours of gameplay it's stalled for 5-7 seconds a total of three times. Then, after going into a sewer and coming back out where I started, the frame rate took a huuuuuuge nose dive to sub 20 and the texture's took ages to load.

Went to bed, came back, games been running fine again for the past hour and half... until all my guns started having flickering meshes. ):

I hope this is just the AMD drivers and it gets fixed soon because when it's running properly it looks and plays amazingly.

Specs:
i7 950 @ 3.1GHz
6GB RAM
ATI HD 6950 2GB
Windows 7 64 bit OS

Running at 5292x1050 with 4xAA. Feels like 60FPS which means it's definitely running constantly at about 50 (any lower and I start to notice the drops).

derFeef

Game runs like crap for me. Stuttering, low framerate, pausing.

4ghz Phenom quad
4gb ram

tried with and without the configs, latest performacne driver installed - still crap :/

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
derFeef said:
Game runs like crap for me. Stuttering, low framerate, pausing.

4ghz Phenom quad
4gb ram

tried with and without the configs, latest performacne driver installed - still crap :/
uninstall all ati drivers completely,run drivercleaner, install latest performance drivers(second or third one, which is coming out today)
use cfg file with no more then 8k settings .

TheOctagon said:
Here's another thing. Is there actually any depth of field going on in this game? I know it's in the engine, and the early videos used it excessively (to cover up the absolute vomit behind the characters, probably).

You'll cry when you reach the dead city.

dimasok

I cant believe a game from id software and the legendary Carmack has this many problems... I think it has to do with the fact that he INSISTS on using OpenGL even when no one else is using it!

I think that's whats causing the problems, along with the megatexture.

I mean, how the hell can you play the game when most of the characters are flickering with texture pop out?!

derFeef

bloodydrake said:
uninstall all ati drivers completely,run drivercleaner, install latest performance drivers(second or third one, which is coming out today)
use cfg file with no more then 8k settings .
Just read about the new drivers that are coming, I will do that, thanks.
Tried 16k and 8k configs so far, but funny enough the 16k did run better, but still stalls.

bee

Hypatia said:
Used the config in the first post and updated my drivers... games been running amazingly.

Running at 5292x1050 with 4xAA. Feels like 60FPS which means it's definitely running constantly at about 50 (any lower and I start to notice the drops).

nice shots, just installed on my pc and running nvidia surround, using 6050 x 1080, 16384 texture config and 4xaa, uses 1950-1990mb vram so far and is locked at 60fps although i've barely played it yet

do people see no activity on gpu 2 on sli? just wondering as because i have to have both cards running for surround, afterburner is showing 70% ish on both cards but the sli config in nvidia inspector shows it set to single, hmmmm

Cyrillus

Trying to figure out if this is an AMD issue, or actually an issue of my rig being underpowered.
Phenom II 955 (@ stock)
4GB DDR3 1333
6870 @ stock

I mean, I get the usual character flickering, which I understand is an AMD issue, but the texture pop-in I find much more annoying.

The config file I'm using:
Code:
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_maxaniso 2
vt_restart
image_anisotropy 2
I tried AF at 4x, but the game has trouble staying at 60fps with that setting.

I have vsync forced and triple buffering enabled in CCC.

Just wondering if the texture pop-in is just another of the "perks" of owning an AMD card, or if it's something else.

Pimpbaa

Nymerio said:
The game plays fine on my pc but the tearing is killing me. I tried launching the game with "+r_swapInterval 1" and forcing v-sync in the nvidia panel but nothing seems to work :/
Check the profile for Rage in the nvidia control panel. Nvidia is forcing v-sync OFF for some bizarre reason. Turn it back to the default.

Smokey

bee said:
nice shots, just installed on my pc and running nvidia surround, using 6050 x 1080, 16384 texture config and 4xaa, uses 1950-1990mb vram so far and is locked at 60fps although i've barely played it yet

do people see no activity on gpu 2 on sli? just wondering as because i have to have both cards running for surround, afterburner is showing 70% ish on both cards but the sli config in nvidia inspector shows it set to single, hmmmm

I don't see much activity on my 2nd card. It may hit like 15% every now and then but most of the time it's 0. No where close to the 70% you're talking about.

What monitors are you using for your Surround? I've got a Asus 3D monitor and have been thinking of adding 2 more here pretty soon.

bee said:

an nvidia employee said:
There's a possibility that SLI won't behave properly with GPU Transcoding for the short term. I talked to the engineer today, and he says that there's a bug that causes the performance to vary on SLI. It should be fixed shortly. Sorry if it causes you any more grief. :\

bee

Smokey said:
I don't see much activity on my 2nd card. It may hit like 15% every now and then but most of the time it's 0. No where close to the 70% you're talking about.

What monitors are you using for your Surround? I've got a Asus 3D monitor and have been thinking of adding 2 more here pretty soon.

here's a screen to show it, very much doubt a single 560ti 2gb could run the game at those settings but i dunno

i have 3 x LG W2363D, only have them because the deal i got was pretty ridiculous, got all 3 delivered for £382. they have a gap of around 5mm between monitors because of the shitty bezels, so i put some black paper behind the gaps, ghetto style :p when 3D surround works though its different class entirely, i have like landmark gaming moments for me, like playing quake 3 the first time or playing mario 64 on an import machine, iracing on 3D surround is another

kitanii

Banned
Cyrillus said:
Trying to figure out if this is an AMD issue, or actually an issue of my rig being underpowered.
Phenom II 955 (@ stock)
4GB DDR3 1333
6870 @ stock

I mean, I get the usual character flickering, which I understand is an AMD issue, but the texture pop-in I find much more annoying.

The config file I'm using:
Code:
vt_maxaniso 2
vt_restart
image_anisotropy 2
I tried AF at 4x, but the game has trouble staying at 60fps with that setting.

I have vsync forced and triple buffering enabled in CCC.

Just wondering if the texture pop-in is just another of the "perks" of owning an AMD card, or if it's something else.

"image_anisotropy" only determines if you're going to use anisotropic filtering or not. I.E. 1 or 0. So remove that or set it to 1.
"vt_restart" is only needed when you're changing variables in-game. Remove that too.

Try turning off any antialiasing you might be using in the game settings. Also make sure you're not forcing antialiasing in the driver settings.

AMD has released a hotfix for Rage when it comes to the drivers. So try installing that as well.

I have a Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 3GHz, 4GB RAM and a 9800GTX+.
Running the game @ 1680x1050 with 2xAA, 4xAF and the following .cfg:
vt_maxPPF 16
vt_maxAniso 4

I get a constant 60 fps on foot. In a vehicle the game locks itself to 30 in the really large areas, but it's still smooth so I don't mind.

Oh! Have you created the cache folders the game is supposed to do on its own, but fails to do?

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Tokubetsu said:
Hope those new AMD drivers hit today.
bgxvp.jpg

Stinkdog

Neo Member
Maybe you guys can help me out...

I'm using the config file in the second post with +r_swapInterval 1 in the launch options, but I'm still getting a stupid amount of slowdown (15~20 FPS) when in the Wasteland and my textures are still popping in and out when in smaller areas like hideouts and Wellspring. I have no idea what's going on.

I have a 560 ti and 2.6ghz of RAM. I downloaded the latest drivers as well.

Nymerio

Pimpbaa said:
Check the profile for Rage in the nvidia control panel. Nvidia is forcing v-sync OFF for some bizarre reason. Turn it back to the default.

Wow thanks! Had to create a profile first but now it works! Framerate occasionally drops below 60 on my i5 with GTX 275 which doesn't really bother me that much.

Nafai1123

Banned
My friend is encountering major stuttering issues when loading new textures. Once the scene is loaded the FPS will be fine but as soon as he turns it starts stuttering.

Core 2 duo
4gig ram
ATI 5770

Already tried setting textures to 4096, no AA, at lowest resolution possible and he's still having the problem. Any fixes?

kitanii said:
"image_anisotropy" only determines if you're going to use anisotropic filtering or not. I.E. 1 or 0. So remove that or set it to 1.

id's description: "set the maximum texture anisotropy if available"

It doesn't read like an on/off switch to me.

"vt_restart" is only needed when you're changing variables in-game. Remove that too.

It only takes half a second and it doesn't harm "just to make sure" everything will work. :)

Pimpbaa

Nymerio said:
Wow thanks! Had to create a profile first but now it works! Framerate occasionally drops below 60 on my i5 with GTX 275 which doesn't really bother me that much.

Forgot to mention you should have unchecked "Show only programs found on this computer" (the driver doesn't actually seem to know whats on the computer). The profile should have been already there. Oh well, I guess your new profile must have over written the old one since it works. Wish this was among the known fixes for problems, as it is a pretty big problem that is easily fixed.

angular graphics said:
I think they could have made additional detail maps to enhance the detail of the core megatextures eg when you get straight up next to a wall, the detail map would add additional definition to the underlying surface of the megatexture, and I suspect the only reason they didn't do this is to maintain 60fps on consoles. If the tech is compatible with something like what I said, it would make a big difference IMO..

Also given that something like Crysis 2, has <500mb dedicated for all kinds of textures, I don't think that the lack of detail maps was that they didn't have space for them. Either the tech is incompatible with them, or there was no memory/rendering power to hit 60fps on consoles if they would include them.. Here's hoping for Doom 4..
well, one thing they could clearly do for some things is to make the doors models rather than part of the environment. i presume that's how they achieve stuff like the hot air balloons, and judging from textures on characters they could push plenty of detail into them.

doors that swing open... they might already be models come to think of it. that's what i'd do anyways. you see stuff like the clipboard that's got a really nice texture on it, but then you have to go in and out of a door that's really low resolution texture wise... just seems like a bit of an oversight that'd be easily fixed. i'm sure adding a handful of doors to wellspring wouldn't push them over budget, and if it did drop an npc or two.

Top Bottom