• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

KodaRuss

I guess being able to hit someone that is outside by shooting through the floor of the bedroom next to the fireplace in Chalet is still a think. Ill post a pic/gif of it later but I thought that was patched out a long time ago.

CrayToes

Wow, I dont think they could be worse if they tried. Fuze is cool, every other one is just awful.

What the hell is going on with Valkyrie? Did she watch Mad Max too many times and miss her mouth?

They look like they were designed by 9 year olds. I wish I was joking.

Auctopus

Besides the awful designs, the actual image quality of all the uniforms as dropped drastically in the last 6 months. Half of the operator's gear is like a 500kb texture. Mute's most noticeably.

It's awful. Ubisofts others games don't have "bad" graphics but Siege's operators suffer from terrible texture quality.

Besides the awful designs, the actual image quality of all the uniforms as dropped drastically in the last 6 months. Half of the operator's gear is like a 500kb texture. Mute's most noticeably.

It's awful. Ubisofts others games don't have "bad" graphics but Siege's operators suffer from terrible texture quality.

Who knows, a couple of these clearly aren't 'final', so they might get more rounded out when we see them next.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
zXohIuy.gif

nOoblet16

I'll most likely end up high gold/play on PS4 and silver on Xbox one lol. My Xbox group has been checking up a lot cause everytime I join them they are tired as they had already been playing for a while before I join them.

andycapps

I have the new TTS build downloaded and ready to go for tonight. Gonna try to check it out with a friend. Can stream if people want to see anything specific. Supposed to have one step matchmaking, hit box tweaks, and alpha packs in this version.

XAL

I assume that you don't get to keep anything from playing on the TTS?

Do you get anything for participating?

andycapps

I assume that you don't get to keep anything from playing on the TTS?

Do you get anything for participating?
I don't know if they give anything for participating. You don't keep anything from it. They reset stats once the test is over.

Alpha packs are interesting. I didn't actually play any games on the TTS last night, just the regular game. But I did unlock a bunch of packs with the 100k they gave to mess around with.

The prices are placeholder AFAIK but they were 4500 renown each. You may also get them just from playing the game? If you get something you already have, you get renown back, and that varies based on the rarity of the item. Anywhere from 500 renown to 12000ish renown.

Again, all that could be placeholder but that's what it is now.

Auctopus

With the disparity between "common" and "rare" item prices on the current store, I honestly think this will benefit the player in terms of how much customisaiton items they get to play with.

Most standard items are between 1900-5000 renown right now, not a huge investment. After that, there is a price jump to around 18,000 for other camos and seasonal skins, that's quite a lot of playtime to save up for just one camo set. If 4500-5000 renown gives you a chance (albeit slim one) to instantly unlock a higher priced customisation item, then I can dig it.

I'll probably end up spending 20k on alpha-packs and unlocking 5 skins worth 5k lol

andycapps

With the disparity between "common" and "rare" item prices on the current store, I honestly think this will benefit the player in terms of how much customisaiton items they get to play with.

Most standard items are between 1900-5000 renown right now, not a huge investment. After that, there is a price jump to around 18,000 for other camos and seasonal skins, that's quite a lot of playtime to save up for just one camo set. If 4500-5000 renown gives you a chance (albeit slim one) to instantly unlock a higher priced customisation item, then I can dig it.

I'll probably end up spending 20k on alpha-packs and unlocking 5 skins worth 5k lol
Odds are you're going to have to open a decent amount of packs to get one of the more rare items. 5-10 packs probably. I think 4500 is fine considering the prices in the store. I don't understand why they don't put this out in 2.2.1 since it's already on the TTS with the other features.

KodaRuss

Hope this starts to really turn things around for Siege, everyone loves (free) loot crates!

I am not sure how loot crates are going to solve their problems? If they do what they say they are going to do with Operation Health that will do more than anything.

Further if they actually do the Polish map at some point this year that will make me happy.

Polish map thing irks me quite a bit.

I know that the bugs and other issues are in need of sorting but generally, the majority of my games are error free and would not have concluded that a compromise between delivering content in full, on time and working on game health had to be made.

After all, I don't see any reason why these planned fixes won't be the same as the "fix one thing, break something else" patches the game gets

andycapps

Think we can all agree the game had issues that needed to be fixed, and what they've outlined in project health to be fixed are things that need to be.

There are two questions, 1)should they have postponed or cancelled plans for actual content to do this? and 2) will these health fixes prevent or reduce future problems?

For me, these changes needed to happen. Should they have postponed or cancelled things to fix the underlying structure of how they deploy code and the other fixes they're doing? No, but long term if (and this is a huge if) it prevents or eliminates future problems I'm good with it. In a perfect world, the game gets fixed and we get the new content on time. In a perfect world, the game isn't in this situation in the first place because of better coding practices and deployments.

But for me, I'd rather the game be fixed primarily than throwing out new, buggy content that breaks other things. Fix the game.

Loaded up the tech test. Second game was an infinite loading screen with players in chat begging for a merciful end from Ubisoft. Also I don't know about this Casual only TTS. I feel like some of the bugs are Ranked only. Or are at least more frequent in Ranked. I don't know.

And the Glaz nerf on TTS... he loses damn near half his damage... (44% or so?). Hey if you see a Glaz on the wing grab a Rook pack and run out there and just do teabag circles for a minute. Unless he hits you in the head you're coming back home alive, lol.

And the Glaz nerf on TTS... he loses damn near half his damage... (44% or so?). Hey if you see a Glaz on the wing grab a Rook pack and run out there and just do teabag circles for a minute. Unless he hits you in the head you're coming back home alive, lol.

Damn RIP Glaz. Have to bury him next to Blackbeard :'(

DQDQDQ

should have been more clear, which preset do you use for audio

Typically I use the generic "Shooter" preset on 2. I have in the past tried other ones on 2 and just used default #1 instead of going through the hassle of reloading #2 and never had a problem on the default either.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://rainbow6.ubisoft.com/siege/en-US/news/152-291800-16/operation-health-diagnosis-hitbox-refactor

Operation Health: Diagnosis – Hitbox Refactor

06/02/2017 12:00 PM

Title Update 2.2.1 is the first major effort to improve some longstanding issues in Rainbow Six: Siege, and the Hitbox Refactor is one of the stars of the TU 2.2.1 show.

First, it’s probably a good idea to explain how the hitboxes ended up the way they are now, because it goes back to a few game design concepts that exist at the heart of Siege. Chief among those game design concepts was “everything should react” (which you might notice applies beyond just the Operators). To provide clarity in the feedback that you receive as a player, it was decided that the entirety of an Operator’s character model would be included in the hitbox.

As time went on, however, our Designers began to see new issues emerge based on the structure of some of our Operator’s models, specifically:

Some Operators have accessories that cause issues because they intuitively make lousy targets (like Blitz’s earmuffs).
Subsequent Operator’s required unique visual customizations to differentiate them from other Operators (and we didn’t want to restrict our character artists from creating cool looking Operators). A good example of this is Frost’s collar, which we ended up removing from her hitbox because it made her too easy to hit.
The differences between hitbox behavior between newer Operators and older Operators became confusing for everyone, but especially new players – this lack of consistency was only going to grow over time as we introduce new Operators.

Consistency is essential for Siege to be considered competition-compatible, and so we have decided to take some time in Operation Health to focus on bringing hitboxes into complete alignment under a new game design concept: only human body parts count.

As a result, in Title Update 2.2.1, you will see a first phase of this change take effect. Highlighted below are visual examples of how these changes have been implemented (note: final changes may differ).

blitz_hitbox%20%28002%29_292223.png

Pillars

We’ve reviewed every character to ensure that they’re in-line with our new mantra: only the human body counts in damage hitboxes. With these changes implemented, you should start to see damage occur in a more intuitive way as you’d expect.

This comprises Step 1 of our Hitbox Refactor and will go live in Title Update 2.2.1, but we have a Step 2 that we hope to work on that will revisit the initial Game Design philosophy: everything should react. In Step 2 we hope to include visual and audio cues for parts of the hitbox that don’t result in damage – so if you hit a metallic accessory (like IQ’s headset), you’ll see a spark visual effect and hear a ricochet sound. As you can imagine, adding another full layer of hit detection for reactions to non-damaging strikes will take quite a bit of work, which is why we don’t have a more precise ETA for the implementation of Step 2.

OG Kush

Yeah I agree with the map thing. I doubt the team who design maps are involved with bu fixing. They're designers. It's not like they're resources could have been used elsewhere.

He's ridiculous right now so that change is very welcome for me. On ranked literally 80% of the strats revolve around Glaz smoke-pushing the objective and just facetanking the enemy team because they can't even see him. It reminds me of when Blackbeard was at his worst and the entire game revolved around him. No Op should be that strong.

HariKari

Hope this starts to really turn things around for Siege, everyone loves (free) loot crates!

Even though they are free, they aren't exactly easy to roll for just by playing. And when you finally do get one and open one up, the fact that it was free won't really spare you the annoyance when you get a common charm/stuff you never want.

I think Siege has a surprising lack of stuff that's good and worth buying/shooting for in a pack. The lack of uniform variety in particular is really weird to me. For a game that's wanting to monetize as much as possible, you'd expect more to be available. It seems like the content team is really small.

Going by the variety of styles/quality, I assumed a while back that customisation items are outsourced.

It is very bizzare how slow the drip-feed of cosmetics is. Considering Ubi is trying (or are they?) to get Siege taken seriously, they really don't seem to be throwing many resources behind it.

Loaded up the tech test. Second game was an infinite loading screen with players in chat begging for a merciful end from Ubisoft. Also I don't know about this Casual only TTS. I feel like some of the bugs are Ranked only. Or are at least more frequent in Ranked. I don't know.

...Jesus christ

Auctopus

Honestly, this game is deteriorating by the day.

Blackbeard dies 3 seconds later via C4 detonation. Hit-reg issues in this game go so far beyond character models.

That's not even mentioning ping issues, it take this 120ms player half a second to spin whilst being suppressed and to not even face me on my screen.

giphy.gif

Of course on his screen, he's seen hip firing whilst standing relatively still.

This game sends me to the absolute edge. In the last week, I feel like I've encountered some sort of BS every night - I honestly don't think they'll be able to fix this without a sequel. Even if this instant wasn't shenanigans and was just absurd luck that he span and hip fire headshot someone from 20m away, this dude pulled similar stuff constantly throughout the match.

Honestly, this game is deteriorating by the day.

Blackbeard dies 3 seconds later via C4 detonation. Hit-reg issues in this game go so far beyond character models.

Yep. I have no idea what's causing it but it's clear and obvious headshots aren't killing in a lot of instances. Combined with the lag/peekers advantage, the game feels like it's in the worst place it has ever been in regards to the minute to minute gameplay.

Top Bottom