• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RARE Rebranded for 25th Anniversary

Bert

I only came in here to say that I read the title as RAPE REBRANDED FOR 25TH ANNIVERSARY. Well it has got a poor public image...

Twig

Banned
Michan said:
You're so misinformed.
Is all that stuff actually true? Not that I think you're making it up on the spot, but did you work there? Or how do you know?

That's the saddest thing. ):

watkinzez

I know the current situation isn't exactly inspiring, but I'm not sure I get the lack of output complaint. Despite cancellations, Rare has released 5 console games, an XBLA game, and 2 DS games out this generation. Insomniac hasn't managed that many, let alone Microsoft's other first parties.

The staff departures is also overblown a bit. They're not a Japanese company; some people leave, some people stay. Heck, bar the marketing dude every Rare guy that went to E3 are veterans of the N64 days.

Sydle

I really like their new website.

I hope they have something more than Kinect Sports for this year, or come out swinging in 2011.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
NINTENDO DID NOT SELL RARE BECAUSE THEY NEVER FULLY OWNED IT.

Write it a hundred times because this has been said wrong many times.

They owned 49%, and the Stamper Bros had 51%; of course Nintendo had the first choice to buy Rare, but it was the Stamper bros who sold Rare, and because it was sold to MSFT, Nintendo also sold their now useless share.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the change so much if it wasn't such a drastic transition. It would have been nicer if they eased into it slowly by releasing the core games that they were working on and then using the freed up resources to make Kinect stuff. The way they went about this, games like Kinect Sports aren't just unappealing, it also brings bitter feelings, knowing that Kameo 2 was cancelled for this shit.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
manueldelalas said:
NINTENDO DID NOT SELL RARE BECAUSE THEY NEVER FULLY OWNED IT.

Write it a hundred times because this has been said wrong many times.

They owned 49%, and the Stamper Bros had 51%; of course Nintendo had the first choice to buy Rare, but it was the Stamper bros who sold Rare, and because it was sold to MSFT, Nintendo also sold their now useless share.
Rare had already been meeting with Activision and Microsoft. Nintendo passed on buying Rare knowing full well that this would result in the company changing hands and their percentage being sold off.
Amazing quote from Nintendo of 2002:
They knew something was up.

I wish Nintendo was able to get back Banjo. That was my all time favorite platformer and game for the N64. Just seeing the Microsoft logo on the intro xylophone in the remake made me sad.

Rare!

:(

Wizpig

VGChampion said:
I wish Nintendo was able to get back Banjo. That was my all time favorite platformer and game for the N64. Just seeing the Microsoft logo on the intro xylophone in the remake made me sad.

Rare!

:(
Well, Banjo without Rare (the real Rare) is not Banjo anyway.
You need UK humor and stuff like that.

But anyways I learned a few good things from this thread.
Like how Microsoft bought Rare, and how Microsoft actually has its share of guilt in destroying Rare.

Cheer up, people, they've just reiterated they're not abandoning core game development altogether:

Meanwhile, the studio was also keen to dispel the belief - amplified by the recent rebranding - it was now focusing exclusively on casual games.

"It's been the focus for the past couple of years, but we're going to do all kinds of stuff," Burton said. "Obviously the rebrand for us was more about we wanted to freshen up the image - it was just time for a chance. We've done it before, we'll probably do it again.

"We are continually looking at what the next thing's going to be. It might be casual, it might be core, we've had such an eclectic mix over the years and we'll continue to do that."

He added: "It's not always going to be as casual as [Kinect Sports]; this is just something we got really excited about."

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Of course they are working on bigger and better things than just Kinect Sports... if they were only making Kinect shovelware, they would have had 2-3 games at launch.

szaromir

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Cheer up, people, they've just reiterated they're not abandoning core game development altogether:
I hope so, but honestly the studio "being excited" by the idea of shameless Wii Sports copying doesn't sound too serious or comforting. I honestly hope the people involved in development at least enjoy playing their title (and are in better shape than the rest of developers:lol ).

edit:and OXM rumours are pretty trustworthy, so they probably do make Perfect Dark 2.

gogojira

I've heard a lot about the key departures from Rare, but I haven't heard much about the guys at Rare who have been around for the long haul. I love classic Rare but admittedly, I'm not overly familiar with names outside of the Stamper brothers and Martin Hollis (all gone, of course).

Are there still some key figures at Rare still around from way back in the day? I'd have to imagine there are a few.

gogojira said:
I've heard a lot about the key departures from Rare, but I haven't heard much about the guys at Rare who have been around for the long haul. I love classic Rare but admittedly, I'm not overly familiar with names outside of the Stamper brothers and Martin Hollis (all gone, of course).

Are there still some key figures at Rare still around from way back in the day? I'd have to imagine there are a few.
Gregg Mayles and Mark Betteridge are the first guys who come to mind, dunno about anyone else though

Are RARE aware that their reputation has been killed? Do they know gamers perceive them as being in gradual decline since the N64?

The last RARE game I enjoyed was Star Fox Adventures on the GameCube. I have played Kameo (and was looking forward to it for a long time) but didn't think it was that good.

Their decline has been tragic. At least SEGA is still kicking in with one or two good games now and then and some exciting announcements.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Mr__Horse_by_Ren_and_Stimpy_Club.jpg

No, sir. I don't like it.

gogojira

Random bump but I didn't find this news worth a thread. Rare just updated their site with a post focusing on the newsletter. In the second to last paragraph they mention fans sending in questions.

In it, they make a humorous remark about all of the nasty e-mails they've been sent:

"Not too long and rambling, s’il vous plaît. Also not a threat to burn down our building if we don’t do a new FPS/Killer Instinct/Conker game. We don’t need any more of those ones, thanks."

Just thought it was funny, clearly fan response hasn't went over well.

Top Bottom