• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

ScaredHitless

Neo Member
Just picked this up today and I'm impressed by how well these games have held up. Really nice to go down the nostalgia road and relive my childhood. Thanks GAF, probably would have skipped this one had it not been for this thread.

Is there any tips for Perfect Dark cross hair aiming sensitivity?
There seems to be this minor dead zone in the middle and then it just spazzes out of control. Like even when my finger isn't moving, the cross hair still is, its way too sensitive.
I've tried just not aiming, but now missions are requiring it and I just get frustrated.

watdaeff4

When this was first announced, I had no intentions on getting it. However, the other day I decided to buy it digitally. Wow, really glad I did. So much fun to be had with this. Haven't really done much but sample quite a bit of the old games and discovered the snapshots section. Really enjoying just playing through the snapshots ATM.

CLINGER WINGER

OH MY GOD

If you completed Battletoads on NES back in the day, you have my deepest respect. This game is INSANELY CHEAP.

Battletoads Arcade, on the other hand, is freakin' awesome! Soooo glad they included it on the collection.

Lothar

Banned
I've seen some people say that Clinger Winger was one of the easiest levels in the game on a CRT TV. Only on HDTV is it really hard. I can do it but it usually takes a lot of lives.

It can still be super easy if you just pause at every turn. Because then you have all the time in the world to think about which direction to go. But only do that if you want to cheat it.

I've seen some people say that Clinger Winger was one of the easiest levels in the game on a CRT TV. Only on HDTV is it really hard. I can do it but it usually takes a lot of lives.

It can still be super easy if you just pause at every turn. Because then you have all the time in the world to think about which direction to go. But only do that if you want to cheat it.

The pause trick was what I used to finish it lol

I NEVER would have been able to complete it otherwise.

Also, I noticed the sound is messed up in Battletoads Arcade. Everything plays at a higher pitch. Hopefully Rare patches it.

Something is wrong with the controls in Killer Instinct Gold. The moves and such are much harder to pull off than they should be. I have the cart for N64 and have played it very recently and the special moves are much easier to perform. I don't think it's just the controller, either.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Gah, I have all the notes on mumbo mountain, but the jiggy is nowhere to be seen.

So, the jiggys you might have missed while still getting all notes:
- collect all five Jinjos
- In the eye of Mumbo's skull
- kill the totem pole by shooting eggs into its mouths
- shoot the ape Conga with eggs

Unlikely:
- at the top of the termite building
- on the slope next to the start (need Kazooie's walk)
- in one of the houses around Mumbo's hut
- Where you get the Kazooie walk, you need to walk on the stone structure that thas the grey slope in front of it - very unlikely to miss, because it's at the end of a nore trail

I think impossible for you to have missed because you'd have to miss at least two puzzle pieces:
- Get orange for chimpy
- get Conga to throw oranges on orange buttons:

bumpkin

So Grunty's Furnace Fun is a pain in the ass... Is it still possible to get the "Quiz Master" achievement when using a trick/glitch to skip most of the board?

bumpkin

S'ok buddy. Im here for you, im here for you

Trick here is to stick to left side of the board. There are two joker cards you want to get right becauss each gives you two skip cards which allow you to,er, skip a square. So nab those. Use them to skip the skull squares that insta-kill you if you get the answer wrong. You should be able to reach the end using 3 skips.

The rest? Trial and error. Its not too bad as you begin memorizing some of them.
Every time I attempt it, it's like the game knows exactly which challenges to throw at me so I'm screwed (mostly timed things I'm awful at). It doesn't help that every time I get a Game Over, I have to traverse halfway across the world to get back and retry. That makes failure even more painful.

Mcdohl

Wow, that final boss in Snake Rattle N Roll... Rare certainly knew how to do difficulty! Somehow I managed to get it done, though typically, when I first did I immediately got run over by those boulders. A few rewinds later and I *finally* managed it!

Just finished the game as well. Had to spam attack like a madman to kill the final boss.

Did you know there's a sequel for this game?

Only on Game Boy though. :(

46700_front.jpg

Probably already asked but what are the best games from this?

And I'm wondering if there's any my young son would enjoy. Grabbed By The Ghoulies I think he would, are there any others? Maybe Banjo Kazooie but that may be too difficult for him. Anything else for a younger kid?

illusionary

Just finished the game as well. Had to spam attack like a madman to kill the final boss.

Did you know there's a sequel for this game?

Only on Game Boy though. :(

46700_front.jpg
Time to crack out my GBA SP then, perhaps? :D

On second thoughts, I think I've had my fill of the game now... seeing them sruggle a bit even on that GDQ run from a few years back certainly emphasises the challenge!

Of course, now that I'm on to Battletoads there's clearly even harder parts of the collection... I think my 100%-ing run is going to be bested by 'Beyond the Imposssible'. 46 seconds for the snapshot was hard enough (even if I was a getting a little tired at the time) - I don't think there's much chance of me managing over 2 minutes.

Probably already asked but what are the best games from this?

And I'm wondering if there's any my young son would enjoy. Grabbed By The Ghoulies I think he would, are there any others? Maybe Banjo Kazooie but that may be too difficult for him. Anything else for a younger kid?
Banjo Kazooie, Tooie and Perfect Dark are the best games there for my money. That said, I never did give enough time to Trouble in Paradise when I had it on 360, and by all accounts it's also excellent.

daTRUballin

An interesting thought had crossed my mind recently. Does anybody realize if a new Banjo or Conker game were to be made by Rare, then it could be considered "fan-made" in a way?

It seems like most of the people who are employed at Rare nowadays are younger people who grew up with many old Rare classics and consider themselves fans of these games. If you think about it, doesn't that kinda mean a new Banjo, Conker or Perfect Dark game made by the "new" Rare could be considered fan-made in some ways? :p

I know that it technically wouldn't be fan-made since it would be a new official Banjo or Conker game made by Rare, but it'd be no different if a bunch of Gaffers joined Rare and made a sequel to one of these franchises or something. :p

Stopdoor

An interesting thought had crossed my mind recently. Does anybody realize if a new Banjo or Conker game were to be made by Rare, then it could be considered "fan-made" in a way?

It seems like most of the people who are employed at Rare nowadays are younger people who grew up with many old Rare classics and consider themselves fans of these games. If you think about it, doesn't that kinda mean a new Banjo, Conker or Perfect Dark game made by the "new" Rare could be considered fan-made in some ways? :p

I know that it technically wouldn't be fan-made since it would be a new official Banjo or Conker game made by Rare, but it'd be no different if a bunch of Gaffers joined Rare and made a sequel to one of these franchises or something. :p

That may be partly true, except that at the very least Gregg Mayles, the lead designer of BK is still there.

Lothar

Banned
Why were the games they developed for LJN so bad and the ones they developed for Nintendo and Tradewest so good?

It's not like they started off bad and became good. Wizards and Warriors and RC Pro Am were among their first games.

daTRUballin

Why were the games they developed for LJN so bad and the ones they developed for Nintendo and Tradewest so good?

It's not like they started off bad and became good. Wizards and Warriors and RC Pro Am were among their first games.

Who knows? Maybe LJN's influence was that bad. :p

Edit: Although I've heard some good things about A Nightmare on Elm Street.

So I'm finally getting round to installing this and it's taking it's time...

How long is the install supposed to take? It's already been like 20 minutes....

So I'm finally getting round to installing this and it's taking it's time...

How long is the install supposed to take? It's already been like 20 minutes....
Did you only install Rare Replay or all of the titles?

I am missing five musical notes in Treasure Trove Cove in BK. I've scoured the place, but just can't seem to find them. I am certain they're in a clump, since it is exactly five, but where?

Perfect Dark Zero is rough. The game itself seems okay-ish but the FPS drops like crazy every time an explosion happens. I wonder if it's the XBone backwards compatibility problem.

Gartooth

Ooh, I look forward to seeing that 2.5 D Banjo! Would also love if they showed more of things like Dream, Twelve Tails, Gamecube PD Zero, or Banjo X. Dinosaur Planet and Donkey Kong Racing would be cool too but they are probably off-limits.

Finished Grabbed by the Ghoulies last night. Don't know if I have it in me to hunt down the 30 Rare books I'm missing since I have no idea which rooms I didn't get them in. Pretty fun game that is a bit shallow in terms of gameplay, but it has that classic Rare feel. Using Grim Reaper to kill annoying ghoulies like the vampires is pretty satisfying. Wish the game had a block or parry button since I would sometimes be cornered.

Not really sure where to go to next. Maybe I will do the campaign for Jet Force Gemini or continue Blast Corps. I think I'm giving up on getting 100% for this collection though. Some of those Spectrum/NES games aren't that good, and I dread of hunting for achievements in Perfect Dark Zero and the Viva Pinata games. (I played the hell out of VP on 360 and didn't get them all!)

Gartooth

Oh my god I just remembered that Stop n' Swap II was a secret in Banjo-Tooie XBLA!!

In the game they seemed to act like hidden achievements. I wonder if they can carry over from the 360 version? (already unlocked all of them then) Regardless, with Rare Replay it would now make it possible for B-K 4 to implement the new rewards. Best gaming mystery ever! lol

I played every single game in the collection except for a couple of games that I want to beat the predecessors for first (Banjo Tooie, Perfect Dark Zero, Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, Battletoads Arcade, etc).

So far I love love love it! The presentation is super awesome and I always fire up the intro so I can sing along to it. Right now I want to focus on beating Banjo Kazooie, which I always wanted to play as a little kid but never got around to it. I'm currently in the pirate area and it's super great! I look forward to getting farther in it!

Kinsei

Banned
I've conquered all of the N64 games!

Ghoulies is pretty fun so far (currently two thirds through the second episode I believe), but I can;t see it staying fun for the entire game.

Lothar

Banned

Ghoulies is pretty fun so far (currently two thirds through the second episode I believe), but I can;t see it staying fun for the entire game.

Unless you got all the platinums on Blast Corps, you conquered nothing.

Kinsei

Banned
Unless you got all the platinums on Blast Corps, you conquered nothing.

It was a play on the final N64 game in the collection being Conker.

Why would I want to put myself through that when less than half of the levels in Blast Corps are actually good?

Lothar

Banned
It was a play on the final N64 game in the collection being Conker.

Why would I want to put myself through that when less than half of the levels in Blast Corps are actually good?

So you can have the satisfaction of knowing you did one of the toughest things in video games.

Also you can't let the game win.

Gartooth

Congrats! I dread going through Blast Corps since I suck at getting top ranks. The Backlash is evil for me too.

Ghoulies starts off pretty well but wears thin like you mentioned. Some encounter designs are poor, and the mechanics needed fleshing out. (Why can't I block or parry?) Still it is a very charming game and can be fun in small chunks.

daTRUballin

Not as serious as you when you said a Gregg Mayles made Banjo game would be fan made.

Gregg Mayles is still there, yes, but it's no secret that most of the original members are gone and have been replaced by newer, younger talent.

Gregg isn't the only one who worked on the old Banjo games, you know.

Started Tooie this morning for the first time. Not sure what to think of it.

Confused, sorry.

Did you break the door down to get into the lighthouse? Did you enter the giant crabs shell?

To get to the light house, take flight and go between the two rock walls with water in between. If you fly from pirate ship, there is a tiny cove to the rock wall on left. Enter the door here to get to lighthouse. On e there, jump and attack using kazooies beak to break door
Yep. I actually have everything in the level *except* those five notes. That in particular is driving me crazy.

Is there any way to check how many mumbo tokens/skulls you've found on each level? I am 100%inf each level but I noticed the skulls arent included. I would hate too 100% everything in the game only to realize I missed like two skulls god knows where

the main bad guy adjusting your health in grabbed by the ghoulies is an interesting feature

the game is ok so far , dont see why it got so much hate when it released though, main character is SHOOK

Top Bottom