• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay Review Thread

UraMallas

I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the reviews but I heard JFG is getting an update that will fix the controls sometime after launch. Is this true?

Any word on what letters you collect in RC Pro A.M.?

I don't have an Xbox yet, but when I get one, probably next year, I'll be picking up this game for sure!

Green Yoshi

Can you play the 360 games on the disc without having access to the internet? As a collector I don't like the idea that something needs an external source.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wait, Blast Corps is broken?

What the hell. I've watched a ton of streams and it looked fine.
Could be like the Majora's Mask ROM and emulator on the Collector's Edition disc. Some people found it unplayable whereas I finished it from start to end with no problems whatsoever.

TedHub

Banned
If Blast Corps is broken this will be my personal MCC launch moment. Is the framerate at least solid?

I'm staying hopeful... I definitely trust ACG's review, but he's the only one I've seen point out BC's crashes... Let's hope it was just a fluke.

Have they said if the upcoming dashboard redesign is going to allow for folders? I'd really love to have all the Rare Replay titles in one place.

Seems like its just rickity. Working for some but with major issues for most.

Most disappointing news I've heard. Blast Corps was the game I was most looking forward to playing and playing it often...

Could be like the Majora's Mask ROM and emulator on the Collector's Edition disc. Some people found it unplayable whereas I finished it from start to end with no problems whatsoever.

I hope this is the case for me. I was planning to play BC often, I needed it to work flawlessly.

hawk2025

BC is a tough game with some grueling challenges.

Sure, I can power through issues on Conker to get to the game below it, but in BC it might just add more frustration.

Let's see how this goes. It will still be the first game I try.

Amazon uk saying there's a delay in the order (coming out on the 5th)

going to pre order digitally

Yeah I've just done the same, though mine wasn't going to arrive until Friday. Strange, as I've never had a similar thing using Amazon before. I don't mind too much, having the digital version will be more convenient.

What does a score for a collection like this tell you anyway? It's thirty different games, it's more interesting to review the games individually. What games have survived the test of time, what games are by today standard simply not as fun anymore.

Yeah I've just done the same, though mine wasn't going to arrive until Friday. Strange, as I've never had a similar thing using Amazon before. I don't mind too much, having the digital version will be more convenient.

Usually I wouldnt mind, but ive been looking forward to this for some time.

_woLf

Kotaku's review actually brings up the issue of Donkey Kong Country being left out of the collection.

You won’t find legendary Super Nintendo sidescroller Donkey Kong Country (1994) or its sequels, and you won’t find the N64’s James Bond game GoldenEye 007 (1997), the most popular and impactful console first-person shooter this side of Halo. Inclusion of both was presumably disqualified for licensing reasons.

Why even bring this up? It's more than just a licensing issue, Kotaku. That's like asking why Star Fox Adventures isn't in the collection.

Windows Central

It's hardly hyperbole to call Rare Replay one of the best collections of classic games ever assembled. The titles span so many different eras and platforms that gamers of any age or taste will find something to enjoy. The mostly classy presentation, new Milestones and Snapshots, and documentary videos are icing on the cake.

Rare used to make fantastic games before the allure of motion controls loomed overhead, and this collection proves it. Shame a few of the studio's best titles like the Donkey Kong Country series can't be included, though we still get plenty of quality titles here. I'd like to see more control options and DLC titles, but I still can't recommend Rare Replay enough.

hawk2025

Best part of the Kotaku review:

Fun fact: thanks to this collection, there are now more Nintendo 64 classics available to play on Xbox One than there are on the “virtual console” service on Nintendo’s own Wii U console. Shameful, Nintendo. Shameful.

Seriously, Nintendo.

Pandy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NES and the N64 didn't really have BIOS. They just got all the instructions they needed from the cartridge, no internal configuration needed.

I'm probably using the wrong term as I'm used to thinking about emulation in terms of old computer (Amiga) emulation, as opposed to cartridge based systems. If it was easy to circumvent then I'd have thought we'd be seeing more classic releases from other publishers over the years.

Is the ZX Spectrum system stuff, as I'll call it, public domain now?

EDIT: Don't think I've actually commented on topic.
I'm glad this has mostly turned out okay, although I'd be upset by the failure of Blast Corps. This is the first title I'd be putting on my shopping list if I bought an XBO.

hawk2025

(Note that some of the sticker reward conditions are absurd. You can get 10 stickers tied to Conker’s Bad Fur Day, but only one of them can be earned from playing the game’s heralded single-player campaign; the other nine come from playing the game’s more obscure multiplayer modes.)

What, why would they make multiplayer stickers :(

And so many :(

robotrock

Banned
Kotaku's review actually brings up the issue of Donkey Kong Country being left out of the collection.

Why even bring this up? It's more than just a licensing issue, Kotaku. That's like asking why Star Fox Adventures isn't in the collection.

Both games are pretty essential pieces of Rare's history. For a collection celebrating the majority of their work in some capacity, it kinda sucks they can't include those. The reason why they can't put them in is clear and obvious, but damn.

eastx

Glad to see my Windows Central review shared here!

I hope more reviews bring up Conker: Live & Reloaded. If enough people make a fuss, we'll surely get it as DLC.

ZeroCDR

Picking this up day one, can't beat $1 per game. Lots of classics here and some I never even played, very excited for this.

Kyzon

I may have missed it somewhere, but how is camera control for the N64 games that used the C-Buttons? That's my main concern as the framerate doesn't really bother me in jet force

nvm. I found the info myself

Karak

Hey man, absolutely fantastic video, it made me want the game even more and even the hiccups were very well explained. Will look more into your channel in the future :)

Thanks man I am glad. The game deserves a good look from folks so anything I can do to help a game that deserves a good solid look I will try to do!

Xbox and below do not have online MP.
Xbox 360 games have not been confirmed one way or another.

Edit: Microsoft's website says any title on BC will have multiplayer, so 360 games should be a yes.
I guess it would have been too much to ask for online multiplayer in Conker.

All the more reason to bring back Live and Reloaded.

The scores are all good but why is a disproportionate portion of most of the reviews still taking a negative or irrelevant tone? (Extended period in ACG review complaining about N64 "ghosts", Kotaku drifting off to Nintendo licensing and practice)

Reviews for this game should read: "Fuck you for even questioning buying this game. You've got 30 great games spanning the history of our past time that are all entirely playable and it costs $30."

Maybe it's reflective of the happy go lucky tone of most rare titles but I was hoping the critics could put aside some of their modern gaming fuckery to just enjoy what has been crafted as a love letter to gamers here.

I'm also aware it is hypocritical to take a negative tone when pining for a more positive tone from others so for that my apologies.

Will be happilly diving into this first thing tomorrow.

hawk2025

The scores are all good but why is a disproportionate portion of most of the reviews still taking a negative or irrelevant tone? (Extended period in ACG review complaining about N64 "ghosts", Kotaku drifting off to Nintendo licensing and practice)

Reviews for this game should read: "Fuck you for even questioning buying this game. You've got 30 great games spanning the history of our past time that are all entirely playable and it costs $30."

Maybe it's reflective of the happy go lucky tone of most rare titles but I was hoping the critics could put aside some of their modern gaming fuckery to just enjoy what has been crafted as a love letter to gamers here.

I'm also aware it is hypocritical to take a negative tone when pining for a more positive tone from others so for that my apologies.

Because they are very annoying issues, especially if they are hitting the best games in the collection.

I'm surprised anyone would complain about a review actually dealing with the game's issues, actually. I'm happy they are and am tempering my expectations accordingly. A few days ago I expected the N64 games to run at a proper 60fps.

No, we shouldn't be putting aside criticism to just enjoy whatever was pushed with this collection. It's antithetical to the very purpose of a review.

G0523

I was wondering about that too. It seems like a lot of reviews have a tone in which they look at the collection for what's missing but they don't explicitly say it. We all knew this going in that some titles wouldn't be included and that they were out of Microsoft/Rare's hands. So why is that reflected in the reviews? They should be talking about what the collection IS instead of what it isn't.

Karak

For me personally all I can say is my job isn't to pretend or ignore something just to make people feel more comfortable with a review. Issues(technical) are there and discussed and i would never presume to remove them as they deal with some of the more important titles, or at the very least some that gamers identified as their primary targets for this collection. I am only assuming that's what you mean by Ghosts...but thats pretty vague.

I was wondering about that too. It seems like a lot of reviews have a tone in which they look at the collection for what's missing but they don't explicitly say it. We all knew this going in that some titles wouldn't be included and that they were out of Microsoft/Rare's hands. So why is that reflected in the reviews? They should be talking about what the collection IS instead of what it isn't.

For my viewers at least that is factually incorrect. A large number of them didn't know what games were going to be on it. Or knew some and not others. Then again I didn't talk much about what wasn't there. A single sentence actually. Despite...some odd comment saying I did.

coughlanio

Just ordered this. Has anyone stated if online multiplayer still works in the applicable titles? I'd love to play Assault mode in PDZ for nostalgias sake.

Top Bottom