• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rarest Game You Own?

Mik2121

Here in my own house... none. The rarest one I have is either...

- FINAL FANTASY VII ADVENT CHILDREN COMPLETE with the FFXIII demo

or the Halo Reach LE...

At home in Spain I still have a bunch of Game Boy (the old brick) games. Those are probably the rarest ones right now.

lherre

Accurate
Mmm, I don't know what items put here ... if it's only games ...

sotc limited edition (very few units)

P1000759.jpg

P1000758.jpg

metal slug neogeo (among others)

DSC00218.jpg

GT games/presskits signed by kazunori yamauchi

P1000739.jpg

MGS signed by kojima-shinkawa

MGS-1.JPG

Hyper-neogeo 64 games and board

hn1.jpg

A lot of special editions, konamy style packs (mgs Po psp, mgs peacewalker psp, castlevania)

Dev protos-machines (x360, ps3 test, ps2 test, psx debug)

P1000729.jpg

and much more !!

RustyO

I've got nothing compared to other peoples.

Best I've got is 4 copies of Rez*, one with the Trance Vibrator, which obviously means they're not that rare.

And some kind of Devil Summoner vs evil army or something and Shin Megami Tensei : Devil Summoner, which I think are a little hard to find.

* Must sell / trade 3 of those copies of Rez someday

I guess Steel Battalion is kind of rare. I never even played it and it's still in the box. I think I opened it to look at the controller though.

Oooohh... me wants.

xist

What's the standard benchmark method for determining rarity? Surely ebay can't be the gold standard?

No idea if they count as truly rare but i have

Valkyrie Profile (Playstation)
The Lunar 2 Box everyone else seems to have which seems odd if it's rare
Castlevania SoTN (2 disc box)
Xenogears
...and MGS3 Subsistence (PS2....and Substance for that matter)

mihon

I guess all Limited Editions are rare? If so I have a bunch.

I love to have my old games complete with me, and LEs are my weak point. So I have many so far.

spats

Don't have anything super rare, but the PC version of FF7 (+ the mouse pad) is apparently worth some money.

Samba De Amigo with Maracas PAL version.

Don't think there was many made. Don't think I'd ever want to sell it.

Final Fantasy VIII on PC maybe...

Chopper

For DS, I own Ketsui Death Label, Maestro: Jump in Music, Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butouden, Rhythm de Run Run Run and Pic Pic. They're rare. Also Tetris DS, Electroplankton and Phoenix Wright. They a bit rare. And according to this thread Radiant Historia is rare? I have that too.

Otherwise, I have a promo copy of Portal 2 for PS3. And I have amazing DJ Max Portable 3 and Hot Tunes limited editions.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls limited editions, Mario AllStars 25th Anniversary for Wii, and tinned NSMBWii and Spirit Tracks aren't that rare yet.

I don't have anything particularly rare, but I do have a copy of the GBA version of Zelda ALTTP signed by Miyamoto, and a limited edition box of Sid Meier's Pirates signed and addressed to me personally, so those are my prized possessions!

I honestly don't think I currently own anything considered rare. On one had, it is kinda lonely. On the other hand, it's kinda like being a recovered addict. Feels good man.

Sponge

Banned
Anything from Rareware count? Kidding, haha.

Honestly, I don't think I have anything that rare. I'm surprised I still have a NES that functions just fine, actually.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Let's see, I own a panasonic Q (gamecube that plays dvds)
One piece unlimited adventure for the wii (man is this game super rare)
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Tetris DS
Electroplankton
Rhythm Tengoku (GBA)
Michael Jackson's moonwalker

Chopper

Let's see, I own a panasonic Q (gamecube that plays dvds)
One piece unlimited adventure for the wii (man is this game super rare)
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Tetris DS
Electroplankton
Rhythm Tengoku (GBA)
Michael Jackson's moonwalker

Ooh yeah, I forgot. I have Rhythm Tengoku too. Sweet.

*brofist*

Edit: Jelly of your Q.

Micerider

Probably Suikoden I & II on PSone.

Too bad I got rid of all my NES/SNES games when I was a teenager looking for ways to fund a Playstation purchase.

kiri

I have a PAL copy of Unlimited Saga signed by Akitoshi Kawazu.

Also, a PAL copy of Vagrant Story signed by Akihiko Yoshida.

Pretty happy with both of those.

-KRS-

2eBz2.jpg

only 300 copies worldwide ... and shrinkwrapped :p

And I'm still not decided if I should sell it or not :(

Oh my God that looks so awesome. I didn't know they did one like that for Minish Cap. There's a similar box for Majora's Mask called the Adventure Set or something like that which is like $500+ if it's opened.

Oh yeah, I have Bubble Bobble NES with the manual, but I don't quite remember if it's rare or if you need the box too.
Actually, I don't think the game is that rare. But for some reason you have to pay quite a lot for a copy. Some games are just like that because they're good games. Earthbound and Chrono Trigger aren't really that rare either for example, but people all over the world knows that they're great games and they want to have them. And then they don't sell them again so there's fewer copies in circulation. So it becomes like an artificial rarity almost. Bubble Bobble Part 2 for the NES on the other hand is actually legitimitely rare.

And then we have these new in box:

Photo08-02-12112204.jpg

:O
I always love G&W collections. They look so damn good. Especially together like that.

My fave collectible is probably my Bit Generations games:

800px-Bit_Generations_Series.JPG

(not my pic) Not sure if they're at all rare though.
Same with these, they just looks so awesome together when you have them all lined up like that. I don't have much of a GBA collection, but if I ever start collecting for it I have to get these. And the NES Classics games + NES colored GBA SP too. I bet they also look great together.

What's the standard benchmark method for determining rarity? Surely ebay can't be the gold standard?
It has to do both with how actually rare the games are, like if there are fewer than 100.000 copies of a game I'd say it's pretty rare. But also some games just become expensive based on how good they are. Some games are so good that everyone wants them. Like Chrono Trigger as I mentioned above. That's a good example of a game that's not that rare but still goes for IMO insane prices. Sure there weren't a ton of copies made either because the game was expensive even back then and didn't sell a ton. But there's still likely more than 300.000 copies of it in existance. You see it all the time on ebay so there doesn't appear to be a shortage of them. But since it has become a cult classic, that drives up the price too because now everyone wants it. And there are probably more than 300.000 people who wants it.

Beyond that I think it also has to do with market trends. Like if someone in the collecting circles paid more than average for a game he/she wanted and it was noticed by other collectors, that might raise the average price a collector is willing to pay for the game too.

I think I accidentally helped to raise the value of Mr. Gimmick in Sweden when I bought it for example. I paid 1400 SEK for a cartridge, because I just wanted it, when it usually costed around 1000-1200 SEK. I then posted on a Swedish NES forum where they keep tabs on sales prices for games on auction sites, and notified them that I had bought it for 1400 and it was added to their list. 1400 was the most anyone had ever paid for that game on that forum. After that I've seen the same game go regularly for 1300-1500 SEK and even up to 2000 SEK. 1400 SEK was around $160 when I bought it, but now it's more like $200.

But Mr. Gimmick is a game I'm not really sure what it should be worth. You see it all the time here for example. There's almost always at least one auction there. So one begins to wonder how rare it really is...

I'll post a picture of the games I mentioned in my previous post in a little bit too!

Edit: Damn, sorry for ranting a little I guess :p

HCgamer

shantae gbc cart only
harvest moon 3 gbc cart only
metal warriors snes cart only
ninja five-o gba complete
final fantasy VI gba complete
castlevania III nes complete
super mario rpg snes cart only
the adventures of batman and robin snes cart only
metal gear solid gbc cart and box
mother 3 gba complete
legandary stafi trilogy gba complete

Chopper

shantae gbc cart only
harvest moon 3 gbc cart only
metal warriors snes cart only
ninja five-o gba complete
final fantasy VI gba complete
castlevania III nes complete
super mario rpg snes cart only
the adventures of batman and robin snes cart only
metal gear solid gbc cart and box
mother 3 gba complete
legandary stafi trilogy gba complete
Ooh. Nice.

Jaxter09

Nothing outrageous, the most valuable are probably PAL versions of Skullmonkeys and Herc's Adventures for the PS1, I also have a big-box System Shock 2. All of these cost me between $1-3

abasm

I've got a Gamecube component cable, which is only rare for really stupid reasons. (Nintendo built the cable with a special chip that couldn't be duplicated by third parties, only sold it in their online store, then phased it out of later GC models.)

I also have a complete copy of Mother 3 and a Famicom GB Micro. I really love 6th-gen Nintendo stuff, I guess.

schragnasher

Neo Member
Looking on EBay my copy of Shannara on CD might be pretty rare. But not only is it itself rare it was actually on a CD for a magazine, Computer Games Entertainment i believe. A full free game. A wonderful one at that. Doubt there are many around.

Ranger X

I don't own games that are THAT rare. Maybe those?

-Suikoden
-Suikoden 2
-Super Mario Allstar + World
-Kartia The World of Fate
-Lolo 3

drspeedy

cc5b1363ada07ab9b533d010.L.jpg

Original black label.

That's the one I have - are these rare?

I don't have much worth bragging about, sadly. I'm not a very good game collector, more of a hoarder... Prime Trilogy and LoZ Collector's Edition top my list. I have a bunch of original 'black label' games, I find the "Player's Choice" and such a bit on the ugly side, so I tend to avoid those.

-KRS-

The PAL release of Mr. Gimmick on the NES. I only have the cartridge though because it's just rediculously expensive with the box and manual. I paid around $180-200$ for it.

Then I also have some other PAL-only NES games that are kind of rare but not as expensive, like Hammerin' Harry and Ufouria. Looking to buy Little Samson soon.

I have an Earthbound cartridge with a "For display only" box as well which I fortunately got before the Earthbound craze started, so I still got it relatively cheap. Only about $60 or so.

Edit: I may post a new reply tomorrow with pictures of these things.

Ok so here's pics. I just took them quickly on my unmade bed :p
I haven't resized them but I put them in quotes at least. View the image for full size.

Mr. Gimmick, Ufouria and Hammerin' Harry:

Earthbound + For display only box:
I wish the Earthbound cart was a little more shiny, but I'm not going to replace it just because of that.

HCgamer

Forgot to mention
demon's crest snes cart only
rockman and forte super famicom cart only
rockman 7 super famicom cart only
rockman x2 super famicom cart only
rockman x3 super famicom cart only
splatterhouse 2 genesis cart only
golden sun gba complete
golden sun lost age gba complete
castlevania aria of sorrow gba complete
metroid fusion gba complete
metroid zero mission gba complete
legend of zelda minish cap gba complete
fire emblem sacred stones gba complete
ct special forces back to hell gba complete
ct special forces bioterror gba complete
r-type delta ps1 complete
castlevania sotn black label ps1 complete
yakuza 2 ps2 complete
gradius v ps2 complete

I think my rarest might be Evolution (in English) for NeoGeo Pocket Color. I heard there was something like 2000 made. It wasn't all that good.

I have a sealed copy of Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon for the N64, which makes me sad, because I want to play it, but I also don't want to open it.

I also have Earthbound and Mega Man X2 for SNES, but they're cartridge-only. Best games ever.

And I have unsealed-but-complete (and in good condition!) copies of the following Dreamcast games:

Garou: Mark of the Wolves
The Last Blade II: Heart of the Samurai
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter III: Third Strike

linkboy

I have a seal copy of Starfox for the SNES (only payed $2 for it)

IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

When I bought it, it still had the original price tag stickers on it from Montgomery Ward.

Suikoden II

I went into my local Play N Trade and they pulled it out of the drawer. Some kid had traded in a PS1 and a ton of great RPGs for it. I paid $80 in store credit for a PS1 game I'd been wanting to get for a while.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
CtUMF.jpg

Found this in a used game store a few years back. I probably wouldn't have given it a second look but I think it was a topic discussed on a Retronauts episode that must have stuck with me. I'm not sure how rare it is but it's probably the pick of the litter as far as my collection is concerned (that or Earthbound).

Pretty rare indeed - http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=76
I see an ebay listing for $150 (cart only).

Top Bottom