• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart PC features revealed

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I might have to start utilizing my PC more for single player games it seems. Need an OLED monitor now.
Having been mainly used to 4k monitors it did take me awhile to adjust to this 45" OLED ultra wide resolution as its PPI is low but especially in gaming it looks amazing

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Having been mainly used to 4k monitors it did take me awhile to adjust to this 45" OLED ultra wide resolution as its PPI is low but especially in gaming it looks amazing
I think I'm waiting for the next wave of OLED monitors in Q1/Q2 2024. Not sure if anything else is coming out this year.

pasterpl

Waiting for Black Friday sale to get this on my pc. Will be interesting to see it with proper RTX and play it at native 4k with over 100 fps.

Last edited by a moderator:

th4tguy

“It would be impossible without SSD!”

Game that literally runs straight from a spinning disc on PlayStation 3:

This isn't really the same thing. If you have played both games, you know how the different portal vs time manipulation is different.
Ratchet and clank has you instantly shifting between entire maps and warping across those maps.
The underlying tech is actually loading those areas in as needed on the fly.
Whereas in Singularity, you are either manipulating existing meshes in scripted fashion or changing time and reverting a map into a different version of the same map. Only that small chunk of the map is really what is changed as most of it is limited to small corridors.

Mostly the same info we already know.

Next week, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is launching on PC! Many of you have asked for details about the technologies used and system requirements. Today we are answering those questions, and on top of that, we have some exciting new feature announcements.

To ensure a smooth dimension-hopping experience, our team implemented DirectStorage 1.2 in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC, including GPU decompression.

Richard van der Laan, Senior Lead Programmer at Nixxes Software, explains: “To enable quick loading and instant transition between dimensions, the game needs to be able to load assets quickly. DirectStorage ensures quick loading times, and GPU decompression is used at high graphics settings to stream assets in the background while playing. Traditionally, this decompression is handled by the CPU, but at a certain point, there is an advantage to letting the GPU handle this, as this enables a higher bandwidth for streaming assets from storage to the graphics card. We use this to quickly load high-quality textures and environments with a high level of detail.”

Principal Programmer Alex Bartholomeus: “For Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC, we added adaptive streaming based on live measurement of the available hardware bandwidth. This allows us to tailor the texture streaming strategy for the best possible texture streaming on any configuration. With DirectStorage, the use of a fast NVMe SSD and GPU decompression, this results in very responsive texture streaming even at the highest settings.”

DirectStorage is developed to fully utilize the speed of fast PCIe NVMe SSDs, but the technology is also compatible with SATA SSDs and even traditional hard disk drives. This means Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC can use the same technology for loading data, regardless of the storage device in your system.

Ray-Traced Ambient Occlusion and XeGTAO​

In our initial announcement, we shared that Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC will feature ray-traced reflections and newly added ray-traced shadows for natural outdoor light. Today we can reveal the addition of another option that will further enhance the realism of light in the game: Ray-Traced Ambient Occlusion, with various quality levels to choose from.

Graphics Programmer Menno Bil explains: “Ambient occlusion is a technique used in games to simulate how ambient lighting affects a scene. Ambient lighting is a form of indirect lighting: the light reflected from other surfaces. This effect mostly appears at creases, cracks, and corners where surfaces are close to each other. Commonly used AO techniques are SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion) and HBAO+ (Horizon-Based Ambient Occlusion). These are not very demanding on the hardware, but they do not provide physically accurate results. RTAO utilizes ray tracing further to enhance the realism of ambient occlusion in the game. We have implemented RTAO as an addition for those with high-end systems with ray-tracing compatible hardware and processing power to spare.”

Menno and the team also implemented XeGTAO, Intel’s implementation of Ground-Truth Ambient Occlusion. Like SSAO and HBAO+, this solution is based on screen space. Therefore, this technique does not enable the level of realism that RTAO does, but the performance cost is much lower and comparable to that of the HBAO+ implementation. XeGTAO is selectable as an option in the game and works with graphics cards from all vendors.

“XeGTAO generates a very high-resolution ambient occlusion that shows even the smallest details in geometry,” says Bil. “Overall, the output quality of XeGTAO is very high and results in a pleasant look.”

System Requirements​

Now that we have detailed all the features of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart for PC, it is time to tell you more about the system requirements. When making a PC version of a game, we put a lot of work into scalability. Additions like ray-traced shadows, ray-traced ambient occlusion, and triple-screen support are aimed at those with the latest and greatest hardware so they can push their systems. With highly customizable graphics and features, we make the game scale to less powerful systems to make it accessible for as many gamers as possible. Below is an overview of the recommended specifications for a variety of graphical presets.

53052590507_573f74be02_h.jpg

While Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart can be enjoyed using an HDD and the minimum system requirements, we encourage players to use an SSD in combination with the recommended system requirements or higher, to experience the game’s signature dimension-hopping gameplay as originally intended.

T-Cake

Ooh, it'll be like the Xbox 360 days again. I'll be playing at 720p60 on my PC by the looks of it. LMAO.

Holammer

I might have to start utilizing my PC more for single player games it seems. Need an OLED monitor now.
Get one of these. If you have money burning in your pocket.
Three 4:3 monitors worth of space, so you can play Buggy Boy, Darius & Ninja Warriors in MAME as they were meant to be played.

A friend owns the previous slightly less wide version and he's in love with the thing.

HTK

Banned
Get one of these. If you have money burning in your pocket.
Three 4:3 monitors worth of space, so you can play Buggy Boy, Darius & Ninja Warriors in MAME as they were meant to be played.

A friend owns the previous slightly less wide version and he's in love with the thing.

I'm not the biggest fan of curved monitors, but then again I've never really given one a try.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I'm not the biggest fan of curved monitors, but then again I've never really given one a try.
When they're that wide, the curve makes sense. Anything above 32" is fine. Those aren't 16:9 displays but 21:9 or 32:9. That's an extremely wide FOV.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
While Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart can be enjoyed using an HDD and the minimum system requirements, we encourage players to use an SSD in combination with the recommended system requirements or higher, to experience the game’s signature dimension-hopping gameplay as originally intended.

Will this stop one particular goofball in this and other Ratchet threads from attempting to prove a nonexistent point with his 12900k, 4090, and 5400rpm HDD, instead of simply enjoying what looks to be a fantastic PC port???

ronald mcdonald no GIF by McDonald's CZ/SK

Spidey on PC uses IGTI which is Insomniac's solution. Nobody uses though because it's worse than DLSS, FSR or XeSS.

ITGI pc implementation isn't as performant on PC as it is on console. I know DLSS is superior above all other solutions, but I wonder how console implementation compares to FSR2 and XeSS. I've never seen DF complain about ITGI artifacts as much as they have with FSR2.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Will this stop one particular goofball in this and other Ratchet threads from attempting to prove a nonexistent point with his 12900k, 4090, and 5400rpm HDD, instead of simply enjoying what looks to be a fantastic PC port???

ronald mcdonald no GIF by McDonald's CZ/SK's CZ/SK

It's odd to see so many people be so excited to be Anti-Sony in all Ratchet Rift Apart threads. I've never seen PC gamers so excited to want to play a game in 720p resolution at 30 fps in my life (until now).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I will be supporting this venture. Great games and solid industry leading ports deserve the success.

No better game to showcase this as it's a very applicable game that both kids and adults can pick up.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It's odd to see so many people be so excited to be Anti-Sony in all Ratchet Rift Apart threads. I've never seen PC gamers so excited to want to play a game in 720p resolution at 30 fps in my life (until now).
Don't get it twisted, most of these "gamers" will not play the game. This is just system war bait and some have been waiting for years to "get back" at others.

This is also puzzling:

DirectStorage ensures quick loading times, and GPU decompression is used at high graphics settings to stream assets in the background while playing.

Not sure what this means. GPU decompression will not be used at lower than high settings?

Last edited:

T-Cake

Don't get it twisted, most of these "gamers" will not play the game. This is just system war bait and some have been waiting for years to "get back" at others.

This is also puzzling:

Not sure what this means. GPU decompression will not be used at lower than high settings?

Presumably lower res textures will not need to be compressed as their file sizes will be small to begin with? I dunno.

winjer

Gold Member
Today's update for Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC contains various improvements and bug fixes, based on player reports and data from our crash reporting system. We have made changes to improve stability on AMD Radeon RX 7000 series GPUs and we have made changes to improve frame pacing on GPUs with 8GB of VRAM or less, when using weapons that shoot many bullets, like the Burst Pistol and the Enforcer.
This patch also updates AMD FSR to version 2.2, enables Dynamic Resolution Scaling in combination with Intel XeSS, and adds a water deformation animation when the player character is swimming. Also, the Phantom Dash effect is no longer affected by the frame rate, and the option to disable the Phantom Dash effect now works correctly. Check out the patch notes below for more details.
Thanks again for playing Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and for sharing your feedback!

Patch Notes
  • Stability improvements for AMD Radeon RX 7000 GPUs.
  • Improved frame pacing on GPUs with 8GB VRAM or less when hitting certain surfaces with large amounts of bullets.
  • Updated AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution to version 2.2.
  • Ray-tracing options are now available on compatible AMD GPUs in Linux.
  • Dynamic Resolution Scaling can now be used in combination with Intel XeSS.
  • Added water deforming animation when the player character swims.
  • Hover Boots acceleration now works correctly at frame rates above 60 FPS.
  • Phantom Dash animation is no longer affected by the frame rate.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the Phantom Dash effect to remain visible when toggled off.
  • Various user interface bugfixes.
  • Adjusted the launcher to fit on screens with low resolutions or high DPI scaling settings.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Today's update for Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC contains various improvements and bug fixes, based on player reports and data from our crash reporting system. We have made changes to improve stability on AMD Radeon RX 7000 series GPUs and we have made changes to improve frame pacing on GPUs with 8GB of VRAM or less, when using weapons that shoot many bullets, like the Burst Pistol and the Enforcer.
This patch also updates AMD FSR to version 2.2, enables Dynamic Resolution Scaling in combination with Intel XeSS, and adds a water deformation animation when the player character is swimming. Also, the Phantom Dash effect is no longer affected by the frame rate, and the option to disable the Phantom Dash effect now works correctly. Check out the patch notes below for more details.
Thanks again for playing Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and for sharing your feedback!

Patch Notes
  • Stability improvements for AMD Radeon RX 7000 GPUs.
  • Improved frame pacing on GPUs with 8GB VRAM or less when hitting certain surfaces with large amounts of bullets.
  • Updated AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution to version 2.2.
  • Ray-tracing options are now available on compatible AMD GPUs in Linux.
  • Dynamic Resolution Scaling can now be used in combination with Intel XeSS.
  • Added water deforming animation when the player character swims.
  • Hover Boots acceleration now works correctly at frame rates above 60 FPS.
  • Phantom Dash animation is no longer affected by the frame rate.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the Phantom Dash effect to remain visible when toggled off.
  • Various user interface bugfixes.
  • Adjusted the launcher to fit on screens with low resolutions or high DPI scaling settings.

Seems like a really nice patch for those with AMD hardware.

Tempted to pick this up now.

Top Bottom