• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition (Nintendo Switch)- Interview with Ancel

nubbe

Ubi is of course going to outsource this type of port to the lowest bidder
While Ubi's internal staff is working on the next SSS game

I'm concerned that most people already own this game if they want it and low sales will lead to other games not being released. It has been released on every major console including the Wii U, and I'm pretty sure I got it for less that $10 on PS4. It may have even been a PS+ release. It's an awesome game, and I would likely pick it up some day, but not at a price that I imagine Ubisoft being very excited about.

I don't know, maybe a handful of new Nintendo themed stages would make a huge difference.

Turrican3

Because Uni has enough studios to do ports. Just would go on to show which priority the system has for them.
Hmm, not sure about that.

I mean, it's just a (quite) old port, and that's it: I'd argue that it's the mere existence of this game that shows Ubi doesn't care that much*, more than the studio that's working on it.

* at least until we know once and for all whether there's really a Mario RPG and/or a BG&E2 or not in the works (and yet, I'd argue in this case it's not necessarily a demonstration of major support from them, even though I believe the RPG might be a good fit for the system/audience)

Ridley327

Because Uni has enough studios to do ports. Just would go on to show which priority the system has for them.
Would you waste an internal studio's time on a port of a 4-year-old game? If the Mario x Rabbids RPG and BG&E2 rumors pan out, that's plenty of direct support from Ubi as it is.

Lylo

Every time i think of how good this game will look on the Switch screen i have to force myself to not consider buying it for a third time...

True, whoever came up with the Murphy bullshit should be punished.

Just like when they outsourced the Zombi ports for PS4/X1, huh? Those consoles must be low-priority as well.

Or it could just be the priority of the game they're porting. I suppose that wouldn't fit your narrative though, would it?

If the leaderboards were anything to go by, the PS4 version overtook and outpaced Wii U despite releasing later.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=891242&page=4

Are you using more recent numbers than the ones in that thread? The thread says Wii U is about 300k , PC is about 110k and PS4+Wii U + PC is about 680k, so PS4 was still lagging slightly at 270k then.

I'd be entirely surprised if PS4 hadn't overtaken Wii U of course, after a decent digital sale, given the disparity in userbase size.

Shiggy

Rayman sales on X1 and PS4 might not tell the full picture; the game was handed out for free on both systems.

Just like when they outsourced the Zombi ports for PS4/X1, huh? Those consoles must be low-priority as well.

Or it could just be the priority of the game they're porting. I suppose that wouldn't fit your narrative though, would it?

Given that Switch is only getting a late Rayman Port and a Steep port right now, while missing out on Ubisoft's big new games (the next Assassin's Creed and Farcry), it's pretty clear - especially when the Rayman port is outsourced (previous ports were handled in-house). At least the Rabbids Invasion Team has the Mario/Rabbids game; when Nintendo hands out it's IPs, every publisher will support the Switch...

Would you waste an internal studio's time on a port of a 4-year-old game? If the Mario x Rabbids RPG and BG&E2 rumors pan out, that's plenty of direct support from Ubi as it is.

The Mario&Rabbids game is coming, everyone is talking about it and leaking details. BGE2 for Switch is still an unknown; we only have LKD's word on that and her track record in software isn't the best. She also said the next AC game would be coming to Switch.

probably not, PastaGames does have a policy of producing two games for publishers for every original game they produce themselves, and so far they've only done one game since PIX the CAT: The revival of Pang for DotEmu. So Rayman Legends DE could be the second.

Do you know if they had a hand in Rayman Adventures?

If this is reasonably priced (like $30, not sure if I'd go more than that since I already own it for Vita) I'll probably pick it up for the Switch.

Even with the Vita version, I like the idea of the Switch's bigger screen and being able to play co-op with joycons (I assume you'll be able to) would be great.

I'm also curious about how they'll do the Murphy levels, since in portable mode you have a touch screen, but in console mode you wouldn't. Maybe they'll have both options (the console versions didn't have touch but made those levels work with a semi-automated Murphy i think). Or maybe they'll make use of the joycon with the sensor and give you a pointer on the screen (I think I saw World of Goo did this on the Switch already).

I think the smart choice would be to give people the option of choosing how they want it, given how polarizing the Murphy levels were in this game

If this is reasonably priced (like $30, not sure if I'd go more than that since I already own it for Vita) I'll probably pick it up for the Switch.

Even with the Vita version, I like the idea of the Switch's bigger screen and being able to play co-op with joycons (I assume you'll be able to) would be great.

I'm also curious about how they'll do the Murphy levels, since in portable mode you have a touch screen, but in console mode you wouldn't. Maybe they'll have both options (the console versions didn't have touch but made those levels work with a semi-automated Murphy i think). Or maybe they'll make use of the joycon with the sensor and give you a pointer on the screen (I think I saw World of Goo did this on the Switch already).

I think the smart choice would be to give people the option of choosing how they want it, given how polarizing the Murphy levels were in this game

On PS4 you just hit circle to do the Murphy bullshit. It was so much better than the Vita version imo.

Shin-Ra

Are you using more recent numbers than the ones in that thread? The thread says Wii U is about 300k , PC is about 110k and PS4+Wii U + PC is about 680k, so PS4 was still lagging slightly at 270k then.

I'd be entirely surprised if PS4 hadn't overtaken Wii U of course, after a decent digital sale, given the disparity in userbase size.
The crossover's right on the page I linked. 11-22-2014 and then pulling further away 1-7-2015.

I'm also curious about how they'll do the Murphy levels, since in portable mode you have console versions didn't have touch but made those levels work with a semi-automated a touch screen, but in console mode you wouldn't. Maybe they'll have both options (the Murphy i think). Or maybe they'll make use of the joycon with the sensor and give you a pointer on the screen (I think I saw World of Goo did this on the Switch already).

I would think they'd offer both control interfaces, but logically speaking if the system is docked and you can't access the screen, that would dictate that you'd be playing it like the playstation and xbox versions at least in that instance. If you're playing handheld mode than the Murphy touch controls come into play since you have the screen there. Personally I thought the Murphy touch levels worked better on the Vita because you were only interacting with one screen. On the Wii U you were using the gamepad to control Murphy but in the process was missing out the TV action.... I imagine that's why some people didn't like that control method.

Either way, I'm in for a Switch version, sold my wii U version the moment I saw it announced for Switch. Would love another play-through... I'm hoping they add more music levels. Those were awesome.

As other people have mentioned, I'm very curious to see how they handle the Murphy levels. I only ever played the Wii U version and played it co-op the whole way through so I actually really enjoyed the Murphy levels with one person controlling Rayman on the TV and the second player using the game pad to control Murphy. I'm still not sure how each version handled this depending on whether it was played solo or with/without a touch screen.

I too preferred Origins but still really enjoyed this too.

I bought and beat the Wii U game 100%. Had a ton of fun with it, but I sold it after getting it as a free game on XB1 with Games with Gold.

I have no intention of rebuying it on Switch unless it offers significant extra content, which I highly doubt, as we'd know by now if it did.

Anybody who hasn't played the original should *definitely* be getting this however. It's one of the best 2D platformers, period.

KentBlake

I hope we get a sequel someday.

Rayman Legends is my all time favorite 2D platformer. Especially the PS4 version, that had ZERO loading times. It's awesome and I still keep it installed in my PS4 and play it sometimes.

maxcriden

I hope we get a sequel someday.

Rayman Legends is my all time favorite 2D platformer. Especially the PS4 version, that had ZERO loading times. It's awesome and I still keep it installed in my PS4 and play it sometimes.

Just out of curiosity, have you played Origins? Or the original Rayman or Rayman 3 GBA? You may enjoy those also.

Top Bottom