• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Raving Rabbids can’t make official threads, but they can make sequels!!

Doodlebug

Dragona Akehi said:
Just imagine an awesome Lemmings-like clone where you've got all of these crazy rabbids units to get through crazy rabbid (or even real world) scenarios!

Completely fucking awesome

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
artwork_bunny.jpg

artwork_samurai_1280.jpg

artwork_wave.jpg

Endgegner

Dragona Akehi said:
You know, for character design as completely fuck awesome as the rabbids, I really wish the game did not suck donkey arse.

Just imagine an awesome Lemmings-like clone where you've got all of these crazy rabbids units to get through crazy rabbid (or even real world) scenarios!

That idea is totally awesome. And would work so well with game scenario and wiimote controls. I guess it one of those "makes too much sense" things.

grandjedi6 said:

-------------------------
[B][U][I]Hilarious Videos[/I][/U][/B]
------------------------

Rabbids invade [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COn_cjbp9pE"]NEW ZEALAND[/URL]
Rabbids invade [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFM5FUxXkjQ"]JAPAN[/URL]

[/QUOTE]

:lol :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Dragona Akehi said:
You know, for character design as completely fuck awesome as the rabbids, I really wish the game did not suck donkey arse.

Totally agree. You can't help but look at the OP and think "ooh, I want this game," regardless of what you think of the series. Too bad.

I'm asking for it for Christmas. I got the last one for Christmas and my mother thought it was hilarious. I find it generally easier to point her towards things she's familiar with when asking for games.

I do not buy this game, because I've sworn to not buy any Ubi Game until they change their way in making games without support, patches, etc pp.

At the moment I really HATE Ubisoft! All their games on PC are unplayable if you buy them day one! They are full of bugs.

Ramenman

I've said this since we've had the first info. I was totally against a RRR sequel.

But there's 4 player simultaneously for every mini game, and you play as a fucking customisable rabbit.

So yeah, given that Mario Party 8 wasn't that great, I'm totally getting this one for the love of laugh worthy wackyness and omnipresent parody.

grandjedi6 said:
Back to battle the Rabbids and stop the invasion is Rayman, who will infiltrate the Rabbids by disguising himself as one of them

Haha, so they did manage a way to make you play as a rabbit while not making the title sound too weird.

DreD

IGN's review

http://wii.ign.com/articles/834/834853p1.html

Closing Comments
Rabbids 2 is a sequel that has more style than substance. It's unfortunate, but it's true. While Ubisoft has added 50 new minis and colored the experience with unlockable costumes and Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection support (for high score tracking), the core games are less enjoyable than those in the first, which is very disappointing. If you plan to pick the game up to play with friends, you will still have some fun -- some of the minis still deliver -- but don't expect a compete package as varied as the original. And as a single-player game, I wouldn't bother. Ubisoft does have the laughs down, but if there's to a be a third installment, I hope it will focus on minis that really use the Wii remote and nunchuk in unique and intuitive ways.

Rating Description
7.0 Presentation
The Rabbids are still funny, but the novelty has worn off some.
7.0 Graphics
A mixed bag of different minis, some of which look good and others downright ugly. Rayman aside, character designs are still great. Now runs in pro-scan, unlike the first.
7.0 Sound
The bunny calls were pretty funny for the first game, but the sound bytes are so overused in this sequel that you'll pray for variation. Even Rayman speaks like a bunny in many of the minis.
6.0 Gameplay
Still fun as a multiplayer game, but the minis are far less entertaining than they were in the original game due to dumbed down controls.
6.0 Lasting Appeal
50 new minis that aren't quite as fun. A few games stand out and can be played again with friends. Also, there's WFC support for high scores.
Passable OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Dragona Akehi said:

This is a fantastically good idea.

Bildi

The main problems I had with the first were:

1) No widescreen
2) Had to stand very close to the screen
3) It was kinda shit

I suspect the majority of these issues are not addressed so it will be interesting to see if it sells like it deserves to this time around.

ivysaur12

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:

I agree completely. The Rabbids are amazing, but their games suck.

grandjedi6

No! Completely expected mediocre reviews for a game no one cares about. My official thread will never flourish :(

kinggroin

Banned
^^^
Yep.

This game's minis consist of nothing more than waggle (I mean literally, only left-to-right waggle). Sometimes even making you waggle at various moments (like ONLY waggle when the teacher turns around). No slapping rabbits, or pumping your carrot gun like a mini-gun, or smashing heads like a hammer, or spinning the wiimote like a lasso. Just waggle.

Even the cool-looking FMV based rail shooting minigame is dumbed down. You only have the plunger shot, and reload is now simply pressing A. Pathetic.

Avoid this one like the plague.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
kinggroin said:
^^^
Yep.

This game's minis consist of nothing more than waggle (I mean literally, only left-to-right waggle). Sometimes even making you waggle at various moments (like ONLY waggle when the teacher turns around). No slapping rabbits, or pumping your carrot gun like a mini-gun, or smashing heads like a hammer, or spinning the wiimote like a lasso. Just waggle.

Even the cool-looking FMV based rail shooting minigame is dumbed down. You only have the plunger shot, and reload is now simply pressing A. Pathetic.

Avoid this one like the plague.
Ugh. :(

Guess I'll go with Ghost Squad next week instead along with the new Trauma Center.

Apenheul

I had the opportunity to play this with 4 players today and then it's not nearly as bad as kinggroin puts it. He's right about most minigames resolving around waggling, but not all. The shooting was something to get used to: when you get hit you don't loose a life, you just loose points of your score. The trick is not to shoot as many bunnies as possible and surviving (I mean, most bunnies don't even attack you), it's about making combos and getting a perfect hit-rate. I think if you're into multiplayer and liked the first game you will like this one more.

CTLance

Bought this today in preparation for an evening with a bunch of friends.

Boy did we have fun with the game. Nonetheless it left a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak.

* That Rayman-rabbid voice - although explained in the intro - feels extremely odd.
* It somehow feels like there are way less minigames than in the first part.
* There are some visual flaws, too. For example (parts of) the costume of a drowning rabbit sometimes only shows up above the water.
* The shooter sequences are rather tedious and slow in comparison to RRR1, a major disappointment. Only for two players max, too. Gotta find the guy(s) responsible for fucking this up so badly and kick their asses. What a fucking waste.
* Costumes... eh. Nifty and good for a laugh from time to time, but not really outstanding or anything.
* The (one to three) explanation screens before starting a minigame are lacking, many swap automatically between two pages of text with no way to pause that. Some goals aren't explained very toroughly (or even mentioned). At least the huge animated Rabbid on the side of the screens shows you how to use the Wiimote/Nunchuck.
* Only player one can advance the game between minigames... it would have been nice if the others could skip to the next screen after a short time (Somehow Player one ALWAYS drinks something/chats with the significant other/has his hands full with snacks/etc).

On the other hand the Band minigame is totally awesome and a marked improvement to the first games' dancing stages. If you miss a beat the music reflects it, which is a really nice touch.

The interface has been improved (it's more accessible), and AFAICS all normal minigames are 4-Player compatible, and save one or two simultaneous at that, a marked improvement over RRR1.

The game withstood a party test this evening, even people who couldn't be coaxed into playing RRR1 were utterly engrossed in the game.

What I'm trying to say is... It's fun, but it's short and kinda "unfinished". It's a great party game despite its flaws. It would have been a great first entry in the series, but for a sequel it's kinda disappointing. Nonetheless, if you can stand the rabbids or if you need a 4-player Party game collection this game is for you. Single player is neither challenging nor long enough to warrant a purchase IMHO.

Conclusion: Buy it - but buy it when it's cheap. This is not a full price game (55 Eurobucks in Germany - SMG was 45).

I'd like to stress again that this game is hella fun with four people. The paper-throwing/cellphone listening/band minigames are a blast in "coop".

And I'd like to reiterate that I'll go berzerk if I ever come withing strangling distance of the guy that handled the on-rail-shooting segments. I'm of the firm belief that no jury would ever convict me.

DDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Rabbids are awesome characters. Just watch the commercials, avoid the game, and I get 90% of the fun there is to be had from them - for free.

grandjedi6

I can't believe Ubisoft actually managed to mes up the plunger shooter. A improved multiplayer plunger game was the only reason I was buying this. Well that and the rabbids.

maxmars

Thanks for the impressions, skipping it at the moment. I also had the feeling that the concept here is better than the implementation.

grandjedi6

I'm bumping this thread soley because I finally found out why my photobucket kept crashing from this thread. Some Brazilian site copied my OP and images and posted it on their site (they didn't even rehost the images). What I find funny though is they bothered to translate my OP word for word into Portuguese.

Oh and did anyone else pick up this game?

SexConker

Banned
Picked up the first one (Actually, girlfriend's roommate did) for $30 this weekend.

What the hell? The game is unfinished.
In the manual, I am promised widescreen and surround sound options in the options menu.
Oh wait, no options menu. There's an AUDIO options menu, but only for controlling the volume.

The rabbids are great, and the game is a perfect game for her. I REALLY wish they would up the ante on these games and not drive it into the ground. Looks like 2 is crap. Maybe when it's cheap...

Any word on sales for the sequel (and the original, for comparison)?

I believe a third game is all but guaranteed. I hope they put some real effort into it. Even Mario Party is a more cohesive, polished experience.
Might as well just make "Rayman Rabbids Rave".

Shiggy

Does anyone have the credit list for this game? Is it made by the Red Steel team or were only some of those guys involved?

markatisu

Did not see a thread about the newest release but the Raving Rabbids TV Party is greatly improved over the previous two, the shooter part is much better than it was in #2 and the Balance Board integration is rock solid (similar to quality of Shaun White Wii)

Davey Cakes

I really haven't heard anything about TV Party. It's completely slipping under the radar.

This is probably due to two things: a) Raving Rabbids 2 was disappointing, and b) people just ignore Ubi's Wii games now because Ubi sucks at developing for Wii.

markatisu

Rash said:
I really haven't heard anything about TV Party. It's completely slipping under the radar.

This is probably due to two things: a) Raving Rabbids 2 was disappointing, and b) people just ignore Ubi's Wii games now because Ubi sucks at developing for Wii.

Yeah its a shame because out of the 3 releases I am liking it the most. IGN gave it a favorable review (it got a lower score than 1 or 2 because they felt some of the games were just rehashes, still fun but just rehashes) and the graphics are the best so far since this follows the lines of Shaun White and uses more animated style (with integrated flash type animation between games) than the CGI/poly intensive 1st two games.

It really does use the Balance Board well, and the new dancing game where you mimic the motions (not the standard one where you just shake the wiimote or nunchuck at given times) its well done with real licensed music instead of the rabbids singing

Its almost like Ubi has multiple personalities, they release tons of crap and because of that people do not take them seriously but games like Shaun White and RRRTV obviously had a lot of work and effort put into them

Top Bottom