• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RDR2: Question about robberies and bounties

Stafford

So I'm just doing some misc stuff in the game, like robbing a train. Before I jumped onto the train via horseback I put on a mask, one of those executioner hoods you can buy from the fence.

I did end up killing a few lawmen and soon it said "wanted." and then once I evaded them it said there was a bounty on my head. But how? They never saw Arthur's face. Did I do something wrong or will a train robbery pretty much always end up with a bounty on my head? Which in that case it's not really worth it, and pretty disappointing too. What good are masks then?

Boneless

The bounty is based on other characteristics, the way you walk and how you body is shaped for instance.

Also, you smelled of poopoo.

Guilty_AI

Because the bounty and law systems are retarded. Supposedly you should wear different clothes, but under arbitrary circunstances the game can make Arthur be insta-recognized anyway. Don't even bother trying to make sense of the systems in this game.

Last edited:
It's basically hard coded to auto bounty you under very specific conditions. Namely killing someone in front of another person basically insta gets you a bounty regardless if you have a mask on or not. If no one's a witness to the actual crime then you're good but if someone sees you commit the crime then masks are meaningless.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
You just discovered my only flaw with the game. Emergent criminal activity will pretty much always net you a bounty even if you wear a mask, change clothes, change horses, and do everything else correctly. It's easily the worst part of the game and I gave up on most side stuff like that because of it.

It pisses me off to no end that they created this amazing sandbox with an eye to detail and realism, but if I'm alone on a mountain top with one other guy and shoot him, I still get in trouble. This was an issue in GTAV as well and one I had really hoped they'd address in RDR2.

Still didn't stop me from putting about 1000 hours into the single player though. Love this game to death.

Larxia

The bounty system is the main problem of this game for me, I hate it, and I see that I'm not the only one.

What frustrated me the most is how you will often become wanted if you do something illegal even in the middle of nowhere, with no witness. Afew seconds later you will also get police that teleport near you, even if you are on a mountain or in the forest... And they will always know exactly where you are as long as you're in the "wanted" zone, you can't hide or anything, they magically see through everything and know where you are.

I really don't get why they did this, it's the most immersion killer thing in a game that's otherwise incredibly immersive with all its other elements.

Here's an example that really frustrated me, I was doing a mission online, trying to do it all stealth.
It was all going very well, I was super happy with my run, until I randomly become wanted at 2:05, and the police arrive at around 2:40, and I can't do anything about it, they know exactly in what room I am and everything, it's awful.

Okay maybe someone found a body outside you will say, but even if that's the case, there should just be some police investigating, I shouldn't become wanted if no one saw ME, and the fact that they know exactly where I am, I don't know, I hate games that do things like this.

It's otherwise an incredible game, but the bounty / police system is terrible and it really hurts the immersion as a whole because it will make a lot of interaction and situations really weird, unrealistic, non immersive.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I'm near the end of RDR2 playing on PS5, I put it down about a year ago waiting to see if R* would release a PS5 patch/update for 60fps. I think that ship has sailed. I now have 3080 gaming PC and was thinking of picking it up on PC but I really can't be fucked going through most of it again. As much as I liked the game, it is a slog. I wish it had cross save/progression.

Last edited:
The bounty system is the main problem of this game for me, I hate it, and I see that I'm not the only one.

What frustrated me the most is how you will often become wanted if you do something illegal even in the middle of nowhere, with no witness. Afew seconds later you will also get police that teleport near you, even if you are on a mountain or in the forest... And they will always know exactly where you are as long as you're in the "wanted" zone, you can't hide or anything, they magically see through everything and know where you are.

I really don't get why they did this, it's the most immersion killer thing in a game that's otherwise incredibly immersive with all its other elements.

Here's an example that really frustrated me, I was doing a mission online, trying to do it all stealth.
It was all going very well, I was super happy with my run, until I randomly become wanted at 2:05, and the police arrive at around 2:40, and I can't do anything about it, they know exactly in what room I am and everything, it's awful.

Okay maybe someone found a body outside you will say, but even if that's the case, there should just be some police investigating, I shouldn't become wanted if no one saw ME, and the fact that they know exactly where I am, I don't know, I hate games that do things like this.

It's otherwise an incredible game, but the bounty / police system is terrible and it really hurts the immersion as a whole because it will make a lot of interaction and situations really weird, unrealistic, non immersive.

Ugh! I hate this sooo much!! It's like that want you to constantly pay for crimes even in the middle of nowhere!!! It's absolutely stupid and unnecessary!!!!! Didn't RDR 1 not have this like at all??? I wish that we didn't have to mod these dumbass features out via PC.

Larxia

Ugh! I hate this sooo much!! It's like that want you to constantly pay for crimes even in the middle of nowhere!!! It's absolutely stupid and unnecessary!!!!! Didn't RDR 1 not have this like at all??? I wish that we didn't have to mod these dumbass features out via PC.
Is that even fixable with mods? I wouldn't think so.

Gambit2483

It's really jarring considering that even in GTAV they allowed you to escape pursuit as long as you were able to stay out of sight while the police searched for you. Like you could litterally duck into an alley at night and turn off your car, and as long as they don't see you they will end their pursuit. Also you could switch vehicles during pursuit and as long as they don't physically see your character they will completely ignore the new car you're now driving in.

I'm hoping GTA6 borrows from RDR2 and allows you to actually get away with some crimes if you wear a mask and/or change your appearance.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned

I'm so glad I couldn't get into this game. Its a fastidious simulation and it still wants to be fun like RDR1 but it can't be both.

I actually gave up on it when i klled a golden beast but lost the carcass. Turns out it doesnt matter, the carcass magically appears somewhere else. I turned it off and never restarted.

Having Police pop up.out of nowhere and wanted levels in the wilderness was part of RdR1's charm because those were the game rules. When you give Arthur choices like hairlength and quilt patterns you expect realism when you lose a carcass or commit a crime nobody sees.

Not for me.

Larxia

It's really jarring considering that even in GTAV they allowed you to escape pursuit as long as you were able to stay out of sight while the police searched for you. Like you could litterally duck into an alley at night and turn off your car, and as long as they don't see you they will end their pursuit. Also you could switch vehicles during pursuit and as long as they don't physically see your character they will completely ignore the new car you're now driving in.

I'm hoping GTA6 borrows from RDR2 and allows you to actually get away with some crimes if you wear a mask and/or change your appearance.
Yes I often thought about GTA 5 when having these problems in RDR2. Even on foot, you can run and hide in a parking underground or whatever and escape the police like that, it was much more immersive, and you wouldn't get police teleporting out of nowhere either.
I really don't know what they were thinking with this in RDR2.

Top Bottom