• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn responds to "concern" over The Order: 1886 campaign length

noshten

Personally I think developers that want to make interactive movies should just go and pitch their ideas to Netflix and Amazon. QTE are not gameplay for me, just get that QTE stuff on the smart TVs and make shows on Netflix that provide interactivity for the viewer if this is what you want to make.

Apathy

Personally I think developers that want to make interactive movies should just go and pitch their ideas to Netflix and Amazon. QTE are not gameplay for me, just get that QTE stuff on the smart TVs and make shows on Netflix that provide interactivity for the viewer if this is what you want to make.

Why? is someone forcing you to buy those games? You have a choice to not buy them. I like those kinds of games, and I want them to keep getting released. Just because you don't like something does not mean it has to stop.

hal9001

Banned

Thats your opinion but everyone else seems to enjoy them so who are you to say otherwise. Variety is not a bad thing. What threat do you perceive from such games existing alongside more "traditional" ones?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I beat mgs3 in less than 3 hours and mgs4 im over one... I Beat tlou twice on a Sunday... Point I'm making is, if you steamroll a game, it's going to appear short.. Especially on easy.

And people who have watched the YouTube playthrough that is getting a bunch of controversy are saying that it wasn't a steamroll. He died multiple times and dallied around in spots, but didn't actively go for the collectibles and didn't really actively investigate his surroundings.

Why? is someone forcing you to buy those games? You have a choice to not buy them. I like those kinds of games, and I want them to keep getting released. Just because you don't like something does not mean it has to stop.
Excatly!
I love these games.
And people who have watched the YouTube playthrough that is getting a bunch of controversy are saying that it wasn't a steamroll. He died multiple times and dallied around in spots, but didn't actively go for the collectibles and didn't really actively investigate his surrounding.
Dying a few times doesn't mean he did not rush through the game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dying a few times doesn't mean he did not rush through the game.

The definition of "rush" is subjective, so it's kind of pointless to argue over it.

The fact stands that it wasn't some "easy mode" speedrun by a player who had played through the game before. It was a first run through the game.

It doesn't mean it's going to be everyone's experience. GAF posts indicate otherwise, but if you're the type who doesn't care about "soaking in the atmosphere," then it may be.

I'm OK with these reports, some of my favorite story driven games have been short, but I'm still cancelling my preorder. I just don't have time for it right now and Bloodbourne is right around the corner. I have an overwhelming feeling that the price on this game is going to be pretty low by the time I can play it too.

Soak in the environments. Explore when you can. Read the bits of lore and correspondence you find. And set the difficulty on high (or at least medium) so that you get a proper challenge. This will take you well over five hours, though how long exactly I can’t quite say—and, of course, it will also depend on player skill.

So raise the difficulty, soak in the environments, and read the bits of lore gets the game over five hours? Aren't those artificial ways to extend a games length?

Imru’ al-Qays;152346245 said:
It's hard to say since I don't think anyone keeps track of exactly how much time they spend poking around in corners for trinkets in Uncharted, but yeah, it does seem like the game is a few (2-4) hours shorter than Uncharted 2 or 3 at least. And a few hours is pretty significant when we're talking 10-hour games.

In that case I understand the controversy. I thought it was all a bit of hyperbole since games like Uncharted (and even MGS) are quite short when you take out the cutscenes.

Alxjn

Anyone who would watch an entire walkthrough of a game just before it comes out leads me to believe they had no intention on playing it in the first place and for that reason makes me suspicious of any conclusions they draw from it.

I was interested in the game because of the setting and art direction, but not quite sold on the gameplay. The gunplay looked solid, but what they showed in the media leading up to release featured a lot of things I wasn't sure about. I ended up watching the first hour when that leaked to get a better idea of how the game was structured. The more I watched, the more I saw design decisions that I didn't like. Wanted to see if the rest of the game was like this. Turns out it was.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
While this looks like good news, he's doing what a lot of people are mistakingly doing by comparing speedruns to first playthroughs.

Calling it a speedrun is actively spreading misinformation.

The Forbes contributor article (why these keep getting linked is beyond me...) has this gem to follow:

"Soak in the environments. Explore when you can. Read the bits of lore and correspondence you find. And set the difficulty on high (or at least medium) so that you get a proper challenge. This will take you well over five hours, though how long exactly I can’t quite say—and, of course, it will also depend on player skill."

Literally giving people advice on how to pad out their experience after claiming that the YouTube playthrough was "rushed" and that the player didn't skip the cutscenes only because they aren't skippable. It's a bunch of bullshit and is no better than some crazed post you might find in any The Order thread around here.

meanspartan

So raise the difficulty, soak in the environments, and read the bits of lore gets the game over five hours? Aren't those artificial ways to extent a games length?

Uh.....doing those makes it an over five hour game? I would have expected doing all that would make a 5 hour game a 7-8 hour game.

I know, I know, length isn't everything and it might be the best 5 hours ever. But $60 for 5 hours of entertainment (I don't often replay linear games, Last of Us Remastered and Max Payne 3 being the most notable of my exceptions) is just....too much for me.

If this is indeed true, $30-40 in a few months for me.

So raise the difficulty, soak in the environments, and read the bits of lore gets the game over five hours? Aren't those artificial ways to extent a games length?
Well if you don't "soak in (explore) the environments", don't actively go for the collectibles and don't really actively investigate your surroundings.... maybe it's simply not a genre/typ of game for you? And.... that's all.

Nafai1123

Banned

The Forbes contributor article (why these keep getting linked is beyond me...) has this gem to follow:

"Soak in the environments. Explore when you can. Read the bits of lore and correspondence you find. And set the difficulty on high (or at least medium) so that you get a proper challenge. This will take you well over five hours, though how long exactly I can’t quite say—and, of course, it will also depend on player skill."

Literally giving people advice on how to pad out their experience after claiming that the YouTube playthrough was "rushed" and that the player didn't skip the cutscenes only because they aren't skippable. It's a bunch of bullshit and is no better than some crazed post you might find in any The Order thread around here.

Almost as crazy as setting the expectation of game length at 5 hours when the average length for GAFers that have beaten the game is well above that.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well if you don't "soak in the environments", don't actively go for the collectibles and don't really actively investigate your surroundings.... maybe it's simply not a genre/typ of game for you? And.... that's all.

Or, the developers let you skip that stuff because they felt they weren't critical to the experience. They are there for those who want to get more out of it, but aren't essential like the cutscenes.

-MD-

Well if you don't "soak in the environments", don't actively go for the collectibles and don't really actively investigate your surroundings.... maybe it's simply not a genre/typ of game for you? And.... that's all.

Or he just wants to focus on the combat and story sections. Ya know, the primary parts of the game.

A lot of people don't give a shit about finding collectables, I rarely ever do regardless of what genre it is.

So raise the difficulty, soak in the environments, and read the bits of lore gets the game over five hours? Aren't those artificial ways to extend a games length?

I don't see them as artificial if they add to the story and lore, sure if I am going around picking up useless stuff that offers no context, then yes artificial. But a game that is so invested in its story, there is value.

Pop

He also stated he gunned his way through the levels on top of everything else.

People will believe want they want, evident by this thread.

Meia

It's not advice on how to "pad" out the game to increase the length. It's about actually playing the game like, well, you're supposed to. You don't have to read things in any environment in a game, really, but they enrich the experience. If you don't care about such things and just want to plow through the game anyway, I'd just be baffled about why you'd want to play it in the first place...

"Soak in the environments" is a bit silly, but reading things placed in the game to improve the lore of what you're experiencing and not picking a "kiddie" difficulty setting so enemy encounters may become more challenging(thus taking longer to figure out how to get through them) are valid ideas. /shrug

Or, the developers let you skip that stuff because they felt they weren't critical to the experience. They are there for those who want to get more out of it, but aren't essential like the cutscenes.

Why should the skip that stuff? There are people like me who like this stuff.
So again, maybe it's simply not your type of game. And that's it.
Or he just wants to focus on the combat and story sections. Ya know, the primary parts of the game.

A lot of people don't give a shit about finding collectables, I rarely ever do regardless of what genre it is.
Well these people should buy/play a different game then. Because it clearly seems like this isn't the right game for them.
"Exploring" in these kind of games is one of the primary parts I love.
So you know, it's not your cup of tea. Doesn't mean the devs have to change it, just to satisfy them all.
Which is impossible!

braves01

Banned
The youtube playthrough hardly seems rushed, but then again it's all that's out there right now. Maybe a thorough playthrough that's soaks it all in will get posted at some point for comparison.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I went on YouTube just to see if RAD did anything and I didn't see any spoilers, just a bunch of a-holes with their "The Order 1885 is 5 hours. Sony sucks!". It's even worse on Twitter. This is like the only thing trending. I did the YT search yesterday. It's very annoying. Why don't all these people buy a copy and wait a while to act like this? I can't believe it has to trend like it's some obnoxious place header for everyone to gawk at. What do young people get by making such a big deal out of it. No one outside the spectrum wants to hear it either and they don't have anything to replace it with except their own rant or snarly comment.

Knowing some people they're playing through it talking to themselves, probably giving themselves the finger just to make it seem like a bigger problem than it is and it's only the 16th of February.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

Yet another person with the game who claims the length is well over 5 hours. Which comes out to 100% of the written impressions saying the exact same thing. Of course this guy is either mistaken or lying, just like the rest of the consensus.

All playthroughs are created equal. It obviously makes sense to pick out the shortest possible one and anoint that as the standard length of the game. Should we judge it by the mean? No, we should judge it by the least-flattering outlier.

noshten

Lets say gameplay isn't a central concern for a developer.
They wish to make an interactive story, an interactive story doesn't require a gaming machine. All it would require is a way to interact with it. Most of the functions can easily be performed by a smart tv and such stories can be priced accordingly of the resources that it took. If they find the right channel they are also able to reach out to a new market.
It doesn't make sense to me that these types of experiences require a PC or a Console to work. For me developers who want to make a cinematic experience should just go and find the route to make one and partner with companies like Amazon and Netflix who are able to flash out the rest.
Regarding your second question, I never said they shouldn't be released just a different medium would make more sense to me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

You really need to stop this kind of drawing lines in the sand nonsense.

If the developers felt it was essential to the experience, they would have made it mandatory like the combat scenarios, QTEs, and non-interactive cutscenes.

People who want to get more out of the world and lore can engage with the side stuff they put in the game. I know that I am this kind of person, but I also fully realize that a lot of people will only be interested in the combat and cutscenes. That's perfectly valid, too.

meanspartan

That's a pretty blanket statement to make. I don't give a shit about collecting trinkets except when they enhance the story (like Infinite's audio logs), and perhaps the time I take to enjoy the surroundings is shorter than yours but I still appreciate them (the same way some people at an art museum enjoy a painting for a couple minutes and move on while others look for much longer at a single painting).

I love plenty of linear action games with a fleshed out world, but I wouldn't say I have to explore every square inch of them.

I'm sure if you play this "Right" and collect everything and explore everything, you will get more than 6 hours from the game. But that doesn't mean people who beat it in 5-6 should go play different types of games lol.

Zabka

I really wish companies would just get the game out as soon as possible instead of shipping finished copies and allowing weeks of misinformation for the official rollout.

Nafai1123

Banned
Yet another person with the game who claims the length is well over 5 hours. Which comes out to 100% of the written impressions saying the exact same thing. Of course this guy is either mistaken or lying, just like the rest of the consensus.

All playthroughs are created equal. It obviously makes sense to pick out the shortest possible one and anoint that as the standard length of the game. Should we judge it by the mean? No, we should judge it by the least-flattering outlier.

I can't wait to hear the complaints about Uncharted 4 being too short because the optional side stuff is clearly "not vital to the game as evident by it's optional nature."

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's not advice on how to "pad" out the game to increase the length. It's about actually playing the game like, well, you're supposed to. You don't have to read things in any environment in a game, really, but they enrich the experience. If you don't care about such things and just want to plow through the game anyway, I'd just be baffled about why you'd want to play it in the first place...

"Soak in the environments" is a bit silly, but reading things placed in the game to improve the lore of what you're experiencing and not picking a "kiddie" difficulty setting so enemy encounters may become more challenging(thus taking longer to figure out how to get through them) are valid ideas. /shrug

It's on the developers to make sure that the default difficulty is valid. They need to warn people in advance if it's actually "the kiddie" difficulty. It was probably just right for the guy who posted his playthrough on YouTube since he reportedly did die a few times.

I will be soaking in the environments and reading all of the lore stuff, but that doesn't mean someone who doesn't is doing a goddamn speed run.

On Demand

Banned

You're so narrow minded. Games don't have a set style. Developers can make whatever fits their vision. The Order has a right to be called game play just as any other game. You don't like it don't buy it. Don't ask for a game play mechanicto be removed from game design.

-MD-

Well these people should buy/play a different game then. Because it clearly seems like this isn't the right game for them.
So you know, it's not your cup of tea. Doesn't mean the devs have to change it, just to satisfy them all.
Which is impossible!

Nobody in the world is buying this game specifically to find collectables, to tell someone that this game or genre isn't for them because they don't want to seek out optional collectables that do absolutely nothing is just odd.

meanspartan

Which is impossible!

So people shouldn't play this linear cinematic action game, because they don't like collecting stuff, which is OBVIOUSLY crucial to this genre.

Huh?

EL CUCO

Maybe because he's actually reviewing it?

On Demand

Banned
They wish to make an interactive story, an interactive story doesn't require a gaming machine. All it would require is a way to interact with it. Most of the functions can easily be performed by a smart tv and such stories can be priced accordingly of the resources that it took. If they find the right channel they are also able to reach out to a new market.
It doesn't make sense to me that these types of experiences require a PC or a Console to work. For me developers who want to make a cinematic experience should just go and find the route to make one and partner with companies like Amazon and Netflix who are able to flash out the rest.
Regarding your second question, I never said they shouldn't be released just a different medium would make more sense to me.

This makes absolutely zero sense. Sorry.

Arnie

I beat mgs3 in less than 3 hours and mgs4 im over one... I Beat tlou twice on a Sunday... Point I'm making is, if you steamroll a game, it's going to appear short.. Especially on easy.
You spent a day of your life playing the same game twice, non-stop.

Fucking hell, the things you read.

It's all worthless unless those suggestions improve the experience for the player. Soak in the environments because there are story details there. Find the collectables because they open up great little subplots and flesh out the world, or give you substantial rewards. Increase the difficulty because it actually makes the encounters more fun and strategic, rather than simply lowering player health and boosting the enemy's. If any of these things are advised simply so you make the experience longer (through pointlessly slow progress and/or dying repeatedly), it comes across as artificial. I can't even imagine lounging around a linear title just to lengthen the game. If your brain's pleasure center is telling you to progress to find more pleasure, get going. If that makes the experience 6 hours long, so be it, the game was 6 hours long.

I'm sure if you play this "Right" and collect everything and explore everything, you will get more than 6 hours from the game. But that doesn't mean people who beat it in 5-6 should go play different types of games lol.
And it doesn't mean the devs should have changed anything.
It's their vision, a lot of people love this stuff.
It doesn't mean you have to ignore the entire genre, but as it seems,
this game right here isn't for you, because what they are doing isn't exactly your cup of tea.
Some of us love to explore everything, look after collectable stuff, etc.
Some don't like it, ingore all that... and think the game is too short?
Yep, not your type of game.
Nobody in the world is buying this game specifically to find collectables, to tell someone that this game or genre isn't for them because they don't want to seek out optional collectables that do absolutely nothing is just odd.
Of course not ONLY! But it's the total package that counts.
The Order: 1886 simply isn't for you as it seems, if you don't like the way it goes.
So people shouldn't play this linear cinematic action game, because they don't like collecting stuff, which is OBVIOUSLY crucial to this genre.

Huh?
If you think it's too short and it's not worth 60$, because you ignore all that stuff, then yeah.... this game isn't exactly your cup of tea, as it seems.

Wow, RAD should have hired you years ago. Any games with an emphasis on a crafting a good story must forever be banished to the world of Amazon and Netflix.

FWIW, it is possible to combine story and gameplay to create a great game. Have you ever played TLoU or MGS where gameplay heavily drives a lot of the story?

Top Bottom