• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Realistic Expectations for Starfield?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have no expectation since I’m not really fan of Bethesda games but I imagine for those people who are this game will make them happy.

Last edited:

Rush2112

Banned
fans are going to say its the best ever
normal people will be objective and use logic.
neogaf likes mainly zelda and jrpgs so its probably gonna get shit on here because they dont have anime fetish girls in the game.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
It's Bethesda.
I'm expecting a glichfest at launch. It won't be playable until a few months after launch. And it will sell tens of millions of copies because people have more money than common sense.
When that happens, I don't wanna read or hear people bitching and whining about broken software at launch ever again.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Realistic:
AAA No Man’s Sky RPG
8.5/10

If the stars are aligned:
AAAA No Man’s Sky X Mass Effect X Skyrim
11/10, Game of the Year, RPG of the Year, Xbox game of the Year, DLSS3 modded in within the first week

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Seriously?

Possibly one of the greatest games ever made. A True, timeless, incontrovertible classic. A game that makes such an impact that people will be talking about it as one of the greats in decades to come.

Last edited:

Danknugz

i haven't watched any of the footage except for a random image or gif here and there, and i probably won't bother until i can play it.

all i ask is that there isn't some quest breaking glitch that causes me to have to rely on the slim chance that I have some old backed up save to avoid losing days of progress.

Ogbert

Having calmed down and taken stock, I’ve settled on realistic expectations.

Game of the Generation.

I’m over hype for it. It was my most game I been looking forward to. Even over ff16. Do enjoy playing 16. But I’m like, I’m want starfield

I expect a little jank here and there (I’ve never had an issue with the Bethesda jank. I’ve never had a game breaking bug…….. or anyone I know IRL. Just internet people.

I believe there will be quite a few surprises in there, I also believe there will be a land vehicle to get around, cause come on, it’s not like they showed the entire game in the direct right??

And there’s gonna be some kind of “magic” system, how it’ll be handled? I couldn’t begin to say how, but I’m sure it’ll maybe be close to Skyrim??

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Incredibubble but lets me see you playing the same part of the games for more than 30 seconds at a time so I can tells

simpatico

Solid 8.5/10 with a hundred hours of content.

A lot of barren areas

Slightly below average combat

Robust modding scene

Most everyone will enjoy it and get put on their GOTY list

A good amount of people will love it and it will be played for years.

Overall, certainly worth the $70 and the time spent playing. Looking forward to it.

gothmog

Gold Member
Realistic expectations is that it's a Bethesda game. It will probably be fun but also flawed like every other game they have made. Mods will make it better in every way if you can wait but most won't.

It's going to be the Elder Scrolls in space. Lots of exploration and a mysterious story about an ancient intelligent alien race and their artifacts.

Elder Scrolls has already been in space kind of. They've had Mananauts that used magical vehicles to explore Oblivion and the Aetherius.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
I expect a little jank here and there (I’ve never had an issue with the Bethesda jank. I’ve never had a game breaking bug…….. or anyone I know IRL. Just internet people.

I believe there will be quite a few surprises in there, I also believe there will be a land vehicle to get around, cause come on, it’s not like they showed the entire game in the direct right??

And there’s gonna be some kind of “magic” system, how it’ll be handled? I couldn’t begin to say how, but I’m sure it’ll maybe be close to Skyrim??
Agreed, I’ve never experienced a game breaking bug in a Bethesda game. I think I had some “completed” quests stay in my active quest list in Oblivion, but that never hindered progress on future quests.

And there defiantly will be surprises, plenty more left in store of course. They made that very clear with that last 5 seconds of gameplay.

Also, I really hope there is a vehicle of some sort… but at this point I don’t think it will be in the base game because of the design of ships. The cargo hold and ship door designs we have seen have not hinted towards a land vehicle at all… and Bethesda are the type to account for that in their design, so at this point I don’t think it will happen.

Unless it’s a small vehicle like a motorbike or small 4 wheeler 👍

DaGwaphics

Just hoping to get drawn into this world and end up spending an embarrassing amount of hours in the game as time goes on.

When that happens I consider it a complete success.

RickMasters

I think the first six months will be buggy. then after that it will be a typically amazing bethesda game that devours hundreds of hours over the course of years. So ill start playing six months after launch, when they fix the bugs! :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Schmendrick

At launch I expect the Bethesda typical bugfest with a lot of jank in the mechanics, also typical Bethesda, but probably still worth playing for the world design/Story which promises enormous scale.

eNT1TY

I expect a familiar but more polished Bethesda experience with some new added mechanics, i suspect planetary exploration becoming tedious with the 90% lifeless planets and the remaining 10% only a handful will be fully curated with towns/cities and the remainder either having small outposts and/or basic flora/fauna. Thats my realistic expectation. The "scale" for all intents and purposes might just be an illusion, it's a series of barren proceduraly generated instances most of the time tied together by a UI tacked onto a more familiar Bethesda structure of main hubs,cities (and now space stations and capital ships) to move the main story along. This formula worked in the past (and was quite fun) and a refined version should as well.

RickMasters

At launch I expect the Bethesda typical bugfest with a lot of jank in the mechanics, also typical Bethesda, but probably still worth playing for the world design/Story which promises enormous scale.
yup...just let everybody else beta test the quests first! Ill be playing forza and probably something out of ever growing backlog while they fix it post release. I think cyberpunk might be bug free enough to play now, and I been putting that game off, for a long time. maybe I ll start playing taht while they get starfield bug free....but maybe we are wrong for once and they get it bug free at launch...either way cyberpunk and its DLC, along with the new forza, will be my back up plan!

Guilty_AI

The biggest challenge they have to get right in this game is exploration. A lot of what made people like Skyrim was the idea of walking around and finding stuff.

How will that get implemented on a universal scale? There'll naturally be a lot of procedural content, walking around random planets will be nowhere near as interesting as walking through a skyrim or wasteland, neither will be flying through space. What's left is the handcrafted content, how will that be used and placed? Where? Will there be a few selected planets with actual interesting stuff on it? Maybe some quest that'll take you to some far off planet, only to realize there's not much else for you there?

If they just go the NMS route with this and insert some Skyrims and Oblivions in some spots of the universe, i think this game will let a lot of people down.

I don't expect much, that just leaves me open to being disappointed. I'm not even sure if it can get exploration right. The procedurally generated stuff should have everyone's alarm bell's ringing.

Top Bottom