• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Really Annoying sections of games That Almost Made You Say F It?

What boss? Finished it a couple times, maybe I can help 🤝
Beast Clergyman + Maliketh. Pure melee build and I don't have access to spirit ashes since apparently it's too late to find the bell.

I refuse to get help from another player, I only want to play offline 😅

Sure, any help with tactics would be appreciated, I've tried everything I can find online.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
This little cunt

God-of-War-Ragnarok-Atreus-and-Angrboda-Holding-Hands-Screenshot-1.jpg

Soodanim

Anything that forces stealth following.
Not that it made me consider quitting, but MGS4 making over half of one of only 5 chapters of the game a forced stealth follow is a massive pain. It's the worst form of auto-scroller and at best is enjoyable only the first time.

Speaking of MGS, one mission that did make me consider giving up was
Being made to replay the first mission with its lack of control and forced slow movement. It was only curiosity that made me push through that awfulness again.

bbeach123

I hated playing as a different character that not the main character in a RPG.

Would totally uninstall witcher 3 if that Ciri section 1 hours longer than it was .

CyberChulo

In FFXVI, I reached the desert level with your uncle. It was nothing but a series of go here, talk to that person like 8 times! I was so bored I started skipping the dialogue just to find out there were even more people to talk to before the main quest can continue. By the time I was done with the quest I stopped playing because I didn't want to start the next quest where there's even more talking quests. Just make them a cutscene since most of the game are cutscenes already.

Drizzlehell

Banned
The original Mafia 1 race, pre-patch.

It was maddening. I was eventually able to win it legitimately. But it was almost a game killer, and it was for so many people. I
I remember somehow figuring out how to drive that thing perfectly and always winning the race by a country mile. Many of my friends kept asking me to play through that race for them, lol.

It was actually pretty simple, really. Just make sure that you slow down on tighter corners and release the gas around wider ones, and only floor it when you're on a straight path.

Max Payne baby-cry-follow-red-line-in-dark sequence. Eat shit and die! No one wants to do that and try to guess which way you go while some baby screams at you.
Same with this one. I played through that game so many times that I have the paths through those labyrinths burned into my brain and it was really funny to read whenever someone complained about them because I knew exactly where to go.

Odyssey is my favorite of the three. Can feel like a chore if you try to do all the quests but the world and vegetation and water you’re traversing looks sooo good.
In Origin it’s just sand everywhere, and cloudy piss colored water, and the big ship combat is slow and annoying, great main character though and I generally enjoyed the story.
Valhalla have good gameplay but the characters are boring and the theme itself is just not interesting imo, I quit about 60 hours in.
If there's one thing about Ubisoft. They specialize in world building. And Odyssey looks incredible as it is. Now if only they took the design philosophy of Unity, we would have a GOTY contender right there.

Tarnpanzer

Same with this one. I played through that game so many times that I have the paths through those labyrinths burned into my brain and it was really funny to read whenever someone complained about them because I knew exactly where to go.

I replayed 1 and 2 recently and these sections are not that bad anyway. In fact there are actually very short.

Thief1987

remember somehow figuring out how to drive that thing perfectly and always winning the race by a country mile. Many of my friends kept asking me to play through that race for them, lol.

It was actually pretty simple, really. Just make sure that you slow down on tighter corners and release the gas around wider ones, and only floor it when you're on a straight path.
Trick was to get to the first place as fast as possible, AI wasn't very fast and aggressive, so yeah after you take the leadership you can ride safe and accurately and finish first without many problems.

Easily Tomb Raider Reboot. By the time the second QTE got on my nerves I quit the game altogether. Can't stand this brainless shit that's only there to piss you off.

Shut0wen

The whole of act 1 in divinity original sin, seriously the game isnt that hard but because armour stats are so fucking low its actually incredibly difficult, your literally forced to steal everything for potions

Dragons dogma with taken the cargo to main castle hub, it isnt difficult but it just goes for about 10mins

Last edited:

Wunray

The zip line mission in ass creed syndicate. And more recently the skill check in xbc 2 (all of it really but the one before you fight males to save Mothra and pyra)

Fredrik

Beast Clergyman + Maliketh. Pure melee build and I don't have access to spirit ashes since apparently it's too late to find the bell.

I refuse to get help from another player, I only want to play offline 😅

Sure, any help with tactics would be appreciated, I've tried everything I can find online.
Ooof that’s a challenge alright! Didn’t even realize you could skip getting the bell.

Do you have the Bloodhound’s Fang? I used that for my last playthrough, you can do a powerful slash where you jump back after the attack that is super useful.

Anyway in my opinion this is one of the hardest bosses, worse than Malenia for me. And without spirit ashes… Hmm. I’ve always used ashes to distract him since he can be super aggressive. I hate this guy lol

I assume you’ve already tried many strategies, and getting to Maliketh without any ashes means you’re already skilled and I’m not sure what I could tell you.

In general, you can dodge many of his attacks and the pillars can be used to get away from harm for a short while. Without ashes to distract him he’ll probably go around the pillars quickly but I would still try that. Rush for the left one at the start, that’s what I always do, never stay on the bridge.

And phase 2 is super annoying. By using melee you’re already used to be up close, it’s a good strategy in general for Maliketh imo, no research done but I think he’ll do less of the magic slashes when you’re close.

I would look up some video boss guide if I were you. Maybe there is some weapon with an ash that is extremely powerful against him. Check if you can use any items. And study the guides on Fextralife.
Sorry to not be able to give you any detailed help! 😕

Any game mostly Japanese, where characters decide they aren't going to speak, but instead just go "hhmm, ohh, ahh. I was interested in Tales of Arise and one of the Yakuzas. Not reading all that shit.

niilokin

World of Warcraft: MoP, warlock green fire quest end boss...fucking hell that's the most patient I'll ever be in my life...

RAIDEN1

Some people like Judgement and Yakuza Kiwami/2, God of War 2018.....but in the first two case the combat just got to ridiculous level towards the end of the game, ie being outnumbered or when you thought you dealt with the main bad guy he still gets up for more, when you have no health reserves to speak off because they were all taken up just trying to reach him! God of War 2018, it just became boring mini-boss after mini boss or just about surviving the battles..

Last edited:
Any stealth section in a non stealth game. They’re always fucking terrible and I don’t Know why devs insist on having them.
Totally forgot about this. Spider-Man and Gravity Rush immediately come to mind. If your game has no stealth mechanics, don't put in stealth sections. How hard is that to understand? No one likes them. They bring the game to a grinding halt. They just add artificial hours to the game.

Batman Arkham Knight. The batmobile vs tank boss battle. Have to "sneak" around and destroy weak points, or cooling systems. Awful controlling batmobile, can be killed by the boss super easily and the checkpoints are at odd places so you go right back to the start not the start of that stage. Awful in every way. The one time I beat it I died to it's final shot and the checkpoint hadn't activated. So yeah F it. I was ok with the game apart from that single fight that made me drop it. Piece of shit design.
Shit. Another one I forgot. I actually gave up on Arkham Knight after four hours because I despised the Batmobile combat.

havoc00

Batman Arkham Knight. The batmobile vs tank boss battle. Have to "sneak" around and destroy weak points, or cooling systems. Awful controlling batmobile, can be killed by the boss super easily and the checkpoints are at odd places so you go right back to the start not the start of that stage. Awful in every way. The one time I beat it I died to it's final shot and the checkpoint hadn't activated. So yeah F it. I was ok with the game apart from that single fight that made me drop it. Piece of shit design.
I hated that so much I quit and never went back after that

Roufianos

The ironwood part is the reason I probably won't ever replay Ragnarok.

Also "this game has super fast loading times" but everytime you're travelling somewhere you have to walk on top of a tree branch until a portal appears lol. I'd rather a loading screen, tyvm.
Honestly, I've replayed the 2018 one 4 times. I'll never touch Raganrok again due to the Atrues sections.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

The only game I can think of that utterly broke me was Zzzzz on the C64, I just couldnt get past this screen, for years :messenger_tears_of_joy:

LzA5paC.png

Oh, Halo had quite a few wtf moments on legendary that made me question life..

The final boss of the second Doom Eternal DLC. There's at least one other boss that's asking way too much precision on a controller in a game where you're supposed to be on the edge of dying all the time... but at least there you could use the 1 damage mode. The tug of war thing was just too much.

In FFXVI, I reached the desert level with your uncle. It was nothing but a series of go here, talk to that person like 8 times! I was so bored I started skipping the dialogue just to find out there were even more people to talk to before the main quest can continue. By the time I was done with the quest I stopped playing because I didn't want to start the next quest where there's even more talking quests. Just make them a cutscene since most of the game are cutscenes already.
Bro, this is where the game went downhill for me

El Muerto

Sekiro, those little buttholes that sit on the roof that jump around and attack you. The bosses were much easier to fight than those things.
TLOU2 - the 2nd part of the game, hated playing as Abby so much. Why would you kill off a well liked main character, then make the player spend 8 hours playing the character you just made your audience hate. I just rushed through it so i could say i finished it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Shrine of Amana in vanilla Dark Souls 2 1.0.
If you weren’t there, you have no idea.
If you don’t know what it is, imagine a linear, very long Souls area where the floor is covered in water and it’s full of hidden chasms so you can‘t just run ahead blindly and overrun everything. Meanwhile there’s a horde of mages that are constantly bombarding you from every direction with homing spells and are guarding each other’s back so while you’re trying to deal with one, another one is attacking you relentlessly and with deadly accuracy.

Ooof that’s a challenge alright! Didn’t even realize you could skip getting the bell.

Do you have the Bloodhound’s Fang? I used that for my last playthrough, you can do a powerful slash where you jump back after the attack that is super useful.

Anyway in my opinion this is one of the hardest bosses, worse than Malenia for me. And without spirit ashes… Hmm. I’ve always used ashes to distract him since he can be super aggressive. I hate this guy lol

I assume you’ve already tried many strategies, and getting to Maliketh without any ashes means you’re already skilled and I’m not sure what I could tell you.

In general, you can dodge many of his attacks and the pillars can be used to get away from harm for a short while. Without ashes to distract him he’ll probably go around the pillars quickly but I would still try that. Rush for the left one at the start, that’s what I always do, never stay on the bridge.

And phase 2 is super annoying. By using melee you’re already used to be up close, it’s a good strategy in general for Maliketh imo, no research done but I think he’ll do less of the magic slashes when you’re close.

I would look up some video boss guide if I were you. Maybe there is some weapon with an ash that is extremely powerful against him. Check if you can use any items. And study the guides on Fextralife.
Sorry to not be able to give you any detailed help! 😕
Yeah I tried all of that.. 😅 I did find a tip about the storm blade so I'm gonna try that.

It's been so frustrating that it's difficult enough to finish the first phase, so I rarely get to the point that I can practice phase 2. But with enough time.. Eventually.

SkylineRKR

Yeah I tried all of that.. 😅 I did find a tip about the storm blade so I'm gonna try that.

It's been so frustrating that it's difficult enough to finish the first phase, so I rarely get to the point that I can practice phase 2. But with enough time.. Eventually.

Maliketh is in fact really easy if you have that Claw item. All you need to do is keep distance, and wait for him to do the 3 projectiles. After the third he will fly into you, when he is flying, press the item button to activate the Blasphemous claw. You will stun him for a good while. He has another attack you can parry with it, I think its the ground stomp. The timing of the claw item is rather lenient.

Top Bottom