• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebel Moon has had 80-90 million views on Netflix, directors cuts for both parts will release simultaneously

near

Gold Member

In a pretty great and insightful podcast with Joe Rogan, Zack Snyder shared some details about he's Netflix deal for Rebel Moon. He also mentions that Rebel Moon currently sits at around 80-90 million views on the streaming service, and the 3-hour R-Rated cuts for Part 1 & 2 will be releasing simultaneously. I've timestamped some other interesting parts below:

On the deal Snyder made with Netflix and why he always has to make director's cuts of he's film - 1:22:22

He's favourite sequence in any of he's films is the Dr. Manhattan birth sequence in Watchmen - 1:38:19

Rebel Moon is currently at 80-90 million Netflix views - 1:49:40

R-Rated cuts for Rebel Moon will release at the end of summer - 1:53:32

The directors cuts are about an hour longer than PG-13 variants and are entirely different movies, not extended versions - 1:55:10

Both parts of the R-Rated cuts will release on the same day - 1:56:25

On why AI can't replace movie directors - 2:00:17

jason10mm

Gold Member
What's the conversion rate for a streaming movie viewer versus theatrical? 5:1? 10:1? Anyone thinking Rebel Moon woulda pulled 80-90 million theater tickets is delusional, I'd have that film pegged at a 150 mill tops flop, unless it got one of those unpredictable overseas windfalls to push it to 500 mill.

The PG-13 cut was such a mess, though I have to admit some curiosity to a R cut with some sort of significant different story though I feel like I'm being catfished.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I dropped out of the movie like half an hour in, but I'm hoping the R-rated cuts will be great.

Doom85

Heard it’s one of the easiest skips ever. Not just for containing a bunch of scenes and elements ripped straight from prior films, but also that the film takes what is normally a montage or a few scenes in a standard film of “assembling the crew”* and stretches it to take up like 80% of the film, ugh.

Unless the word says Part 2 is far better when it releases, this series will be a pass for me.

*I’m not saying that couldn’t potentially work in a specific way, Blues Brothers was basically that, but that was a fun comedy. But how I’ve heard Rebel Moon handles it, it sounds like a drag.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Heard it’s one of the easiest skips ever. Not just for containing a bunch of scenes and elements ripped straight from prior films
I couldn't fully enjoy the movie because my mind would go:

-Oh here's the Star Wars opening scene with the long ass ship and a downward camera pan on a planet.

-Let's go to the cantina and recruit a dashing rogue.

And other stuff I won't spoil.

There's a thin line between paying tribute and downright copy/pasting what you saw in other movies.

I hated myself for comparing but couldn't help it.

Doom85

I couldn't fully enjoy the movie because my mind would go:

-Oh here's the Star Wars opening scene with the long ass ship and a downward camera pan on a planet.

-Let's go to the cantina and recruit a dashing rogue.

And other stuff I won't spoil.

There's a thin line between paying tribute and downright copy/pasting what you saw in other movies.

I hated myself for comparing but couldn't help it.

I’ve heard Inglorious Bastards and Harry Potter: Prisoner of Azkaban as two others that this movies had a scene each that felt straight lifted from those films.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
6740Kzj.jpg

Time to stock up on some rebel moon popcorn and eat it out of a rebel moon popcorn bowl.

poppabk

Heard it’s one of the easiest skips ever. Not just for containing a bunch of scenes and elements ripped straight from prior films, but also that the film takes what is normally a montage or a few scenes in a standard film of “assembling the crew”* and stretches it to take up like 80% of the film, ugh.

Unless the word says Part 2 is far better when it releases, this series will be a pass for me.

*I’m not saying that couldn’t potentially work in a specific way, Blues Brothers was basically that, but that was a fun comedy. But how I’ve heard Rebel Moon handles it, it sounds like a drag.
Yup the film has its moments but each character getting a mini movie introduction and a lame as fuck rug pull ending cheapened the while thing.

Dural

I enjoyed it for what it was, nothing really spectacular, just dumb fantasy sci-fi. I wasn't a fan of the ship design, felt really amateurish.

Will check out the sequel and extended versions when they land.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
It is just so incredibly boring. Jesus, farmer settlement in 2024, really?
I found myself getting annoyed at the Snyder-isms too, which aren't usually something that put me off. I'm not like a Snyder cultist, but I thought the BvS Ultimate cut was great, and I was surprised at how much I liked his Justice League. Haven't been so hot on his Netflix output.

poppabk

I found myself getting annoyed at the Snyder-isms too, which aren't usually something that put me off. I'm not like a Snyder cultist, but I thought the BvS Ultimate cut was great, and I was surprised at how much I liked his Justice League. Haven't been so hot on his Netflix output.
Army of Thieves was the best of 'his' Netflix stuff and I have a feeling he wasn't much involved.

Last edited:

jonnyp

I agree. But he has semi got me hyped for the r-rated cut, by emphasising its differences and referencing Heavy Metal. I feel like the parts I really disliked are possibly salvageable.

B3nATT4FPkb3G.webp

I mean, I applaud your positivity but I just cannot see how this shitshow is redeemable.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I agree. But he has semi got me hyped for the r-rated cut, by emphasising its differences and referencing Heavy Metal. I feel like the parts I really disliked are possibly salvageable.

B3nATT4FPkb3G.webp
NGL, Snyder doing some of the Heavy Metal '82 segments in live action sounds pretty dope. Den especially, full R rating, is something we NEED.

6iJodce.jpg

This casting seems OBVIOUS!

Y7y8prn.jpg

and if we throw in Taarna

U8mU9Q9.gif

dare we hope for...
uGuHx3K.jpg

Vestal

Gold Member
Watched it.. If I had paid to watch it in theaters I would have been disappointed.. Since it was streaming, it was ok.. .. Its party gathering & "OP Hero in hiding" by the numbers, with some very familiar themes and execution.

The movie has no soul.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
What's the conversion rate for a streaming movie viewer versus theatrical? 5:1? 10:1? Anyone thinking Rebel Moon woulda pulled 80-90 million theater tickets is delusional, I'd have that film pegged at a 150 mill tops flop, unless it got one of those unpredictable overseas windfalls to push it to 500 mill.

The PG-13 cut was such a mess, though I have to admit some curiosity to a R cut with some sort of significant different story though I feel like I'm being catfished.

To be fair, ZSJL was vastly superior to the theatrical release and it's almost a totally different film.

Now imagine 90 million views with ad breaks.

money-nigerian.gif

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Congratulations on the success, Zack.

I personally thought the film was utter shit. Not as bad as Army of the Dead, but close enough for me to have an angry fap after viewing.

Krathoon

I liked it. It kind of felt a little like Warhammer with the bad guys.

It was like a mixture of Warhammer and Star Wars.

Top Bottom