• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recent PS4 SDK update unlocked 7th CPU core for gaming

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You're thinking backwards. Most textures are made with the ~3.5GB of memory most games probably use out of the available 5.5 in mind, and then the Ultra settings on PC includes original textures which were dumbed down on consoles for going over budget. If you give another gigabyte to games, and average RAM consumption stays the same, then you've increased the texture budget a whole lot.

I understand it gives more leeway, i am refuting a point made that textures were low or mid for these consoles. In the seventh gen, sure, but this gen we actually have consoles that can give good texture res with the amount of ram they've got, and that should be pointed out

B_Boss

This is awesome news any way you look at it really lol. Now if only Sony would improve that media player....

Behlel

The war is over

wCIo5Iu.gif

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
LordOfChaos said:
You left out the part where the GB people specifically address Linus's criticism.
That's more a "he said/she said" than addressing things. And equating Virtual Machine to Physics or Rendering inner loops as an argument for small code-blocks dominating performance is just plain ignorance.

It is also worth mentioning that certain CPU makers are pushing runtime software solutions(think of it as JIT for machine code) that make the most difference to things like hot-loops. And while that does improve average CPU performance, it tends to also break synthetic benchmarks, especially those relying on small loops

Renekton

Linus gets mad at a lot of things. I have mad respect for him, but he's not always right. And his criticism is quite weird since he must know what a geometric mean is. And as much as I respect his work, I kind of think at this point in his life he mouths off more than he should to grab some headlines.

Remember this bit of maturity?
http://m1.paperblog.com/i/161/1614777/nvidia-f_ck-you-no-digo-dice-linus-torvalds-L-qnel0H.jpeg

And nowhere does he say anything about your initial claim of it being "oriented around Mobile".
Eh I think this is attacking Torvald's character to disprove that GB's results are suspect.

Regarding mobile. He alluded to it with the really small loop sizes:
"Looking at the other GB3 ‘benchmarks,’ they are mainly small kernels: not really much different from dhrystone. I suspect most of them have a code footprint that basically fits in a L1 cache."

Then the engadget article which led me to Linus in the first place: http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/14/ipad-pro-a9x-chip/
But what of the benchmark tests that show the iPad Pro outperforming Intel's Core M processor, and even coming close to Intel's MacBook Pro range? Don't believe them. Patrick Moorhead, a highly respected analyst with a strong background in chips, urges caution, especially when it comes to comparing GeekBench numbers, as many have. "GeekBench is a synthetic, mobile benchmark," Moorhead tells Engadget. "The benchmark code is more like mobile application code than it is desktop code." Using GeekBench to test A9X versus Intel chips is "like comparing apples and oranges or an SUV with a sedan on the straight-away," he explains.
Yes they already answered that by asserting desktop apps using small kernel/loops are the future. That remains to be seen, including for gaming workloads.

I admit this is convincing me that Jaguar sucks haha :)

Squozen

I wonder how this will affect the PS4s available memory bandwidth.

It won't affect it at all. Bandwidth to the memory is a fixed value regardless of how many cores you have (assuming a single CPU, things can and do change with a multi-CPU motherboard).

thelastword

Banned
Yes, it's about time, there's been so many improvements to the SONY SDK over the last two years, there's even more they will release to devs in the future as well. Another 1.5 - 2GB's of memory is likely as far as ram/vram is concerned. An upclock may not be off the cards either, once there are no heating issues that may surface. It's about time they put the ARM/ secondary chip to better use as well.....

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yes, it's about time, there's been so many improvements to the SONY SDK over the last two years, there's even more they will release to devs in the future as well. Another 1.5 - 2GB's of memory is likely as far as ram/vram is concerned. An upclock may not be off the cards either, once there are no heating issues that may surface. It's about time they put the ARM/ secondary chip to better use as well.....

You don't upclock after the system is out for retail.

For newer models, maybe. It's extremely unlikely developers would be told to make the most of it though and I'd imagine a lower TDP would be preferred by Sony.

IIRC, MS forced latency into the S models of the 360 as moving everything on package from a separate CPU and GPU socket made the system faster.

If it's anything like the stealth Vita revisions (Danganronpa AE), it may prevent you from opening certain OS functions, such as Trophies or Party Chat.

A decent, albeit awkward trade off for performance boosts.
That's a deal breaker (I don't care about the web browser or the PS store though, just Party Chat/trophies), although I think you're talking about Vita's "expanded memory" mode. This has nothing to do with the CPU.

valkyre

Will this have any effect in already released titles that had some issues with CPU (Unity for ex), or does this have to be coded from the get go in order to enjoy the benefits?

That's great, I wonder what ps4 games will look like at the end of this generation cycle. I also can't wait for the next ps/xbox generation and see what type of jump we will get then.

Will this have any effect in already released titles that had some issues with CPU (Unity for ex), or does this have to be coded from the get go in order to enjoy the benefits?
In theory, if the engine was designed to scale to an arbitrary number of cores, so in practice, typically not.

I'm still puzzled as why they haven't reduced the amount of ram the OS is taking up, which is like 3GB.
Who says they haven't? They don't publicize any changes to the SDK, including this one. You're not supposed to know or care about the stuff if you're not a developer. If you do care, consider becoming a developer. :)

I understand it gives more leeway, i am refuting a point made that textures were low or mid for these consoles. In the seventh gen, sure, but this gen we actually have consoles that can give good texture res with the amount of ram they've got, and that should be pointed out

I completely agree with Luke (as long as that extra gig of memory had the necessary bandwidth of course) and I agree with you as well. Consoles are obviously limited by their form factor and clearly have less/different AA, draw distance, frame rate, etc; but texture quality is clearly there in most games. It seems like most smaller area/map games seem to be much closer in quality than large ones (duh).

As per the topic, I was initially thinking that I hoped for devs not to squander this opportunity but lets be real, it would be pretty silly not to use all the resources available to you. Of course they will use it, I guess we will have to find out when it happens. And when it does, will any devs/companies even mention it? I doubt we will see any articles to the tune of "X game has better graphics due to 7th core!" But I am sure I will be suprised haha.

I completely agree with Luke (as long as that extra gig of memory had the necessary bandwidth of course) and I agree with you as well. Consoles are obviously limited by their form factor and clearly have less/different AA, draw distance, frame rate, etc; but texture quality is clearly there in most games. It seems like most smaller area/map games seem to be much closer in quality than large ones (duh).

As per the topic, I was initially thinking that I hoped for devs not to squander this opportunity but lets be real, it would be pretty silly not to use all the resources available to you. Of course they will use it, I guess we will have to find out when it happens. And when it does, will any devs/companies even mention it? I doubt we will see any articles to the tune of "X game has better graphics due to 7th core!" But I am sure I will be suprised haha.
Information like that will come via GDC sessions; it makes normal ears bleed.

That's a deal breaker (I don't care about the web browser or the PS store though, just Party Chat/trophies), although I think you're talking about Vita's "expanded memory" mode. This has nothing to do with the CPU.

I see no reason why that would happen anyway, the system's running FreeBSD underneath and Unix based OSs have been multitasking on single cores since the 1970s.

d9b

Banned
What about parity? Will 3rd party devs take full advantage of this or will they try to balance things out with XboxOne to keep Microsoft happy (and relevant)?
Serious question.

c0de

What about parity? Will 3rd party devs take full advantage of this or will they try to balance things out with XboxOne to keep Microsoft happy (and relevant)?
Serious question.

Both now have more than 6 cores available. Xbone had it earlier unlocked to a certain degree but as we didn't have a leak of the XDK in recent times, we don't know the current state (and yes, if it was any substantial, MS would shout it from the roof-tops, relax guys).
The difference in both machines for one core is already small and even smaller comparing both consoles and their technical capability.

LeonSPBR

Jobs: It is a way to encapsulate/fine-grain every little computation the game engine needs to do (usually called jobs/tasks) so these can be freely distributed to any available CPU core (it just picks the next queued-job once it finishes the current one). So if your console and/or computer receives more cores overnight then not much work is needed (if at all) to put them into use.

More and more game engines have switched over to this method over the last few years as a great means to harness multi-core CPU's and to be able to easily scale as more advanced CPU's with more cores are introduced. This was ecspecially useful on the PS3 CELL as it had one master-core and six slave-cores (SPU's).

Naughty Dog has taken it a step further with their PS4 engine starting with TLOU: Remastered. Usually you have one CPU core dedicated to 'orchestrating'/manage the whole Jobs system but ND's PS4 engine is fully parallelized in that it doesn't need this at all. All of the six cores are happily computing jobs (and with this new SDK they have seven). This thanks to the magic fairy dust of 'fibers' (jobs-within-jobs) that can cooperatively yield to each other and resume their work where they left of later on combined with core-locked worker threads... Basically: Their engine is more or less perfectly scalable. Enabling and fully utilizing a 7th core (or in theory: a hundred more cores) probably took them 30mins of coding.

They have a really cool technical talk here (one hour long): http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1022186/Parallelizing-the-Naughty-Dog-Engine

Awesome explanation, and will watch the video. Thanks for those BTW.

Top Bottom