• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me a new PC gaming headset.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I'm looking for the best sounding PC gaming headset for PC. I've tried the wireless Arctis 7 Pro earlier, but there is just too much white noise in the background when there is no sound playing. I don't know if this is a faulty batch because the Arctic 7 doesn't have this issue.

Suggestions? Money is not an issue.

I'm looking for the best sounding PC gaming headset for PC. I've tried the wireless Arctis 7 Pro earlier, but there is just too much white noise in the background when there is no sound playing. I don't know if this is a faulty batch because the Arctic 7 doesn't have this issue.

Suggestions? Money is not an issue.
Buy me a 2080ti.

Eliciel

It has to be wireless? Or can it be wired?
Your current description is already a problem, because I really didn't like any of the Arctic Headsets...

Last edited:
That's when money starts becoming an issue. I'm stuck with a 2070 Super myself for now. Could be upgrading before Cyberpunk releases.
1080ti myself, waiting on the 3080. My headset is the Hyper X Cloud 2, which does the job well. There are better, more expensive options, though.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Sennheiser !

I have the Game ONE, perfection. And before that I had the PC360 Game and it lasted for 8 years.

teezzy

Banned
I have both the Logitech G430, and the Corsair Vengeance 2100. Both sound great with their pseudo surround sound trickery. The Corsair is wireless, but the ear cups are too stiff for my liking. I largely prefer my Logitech as a result.

My Sony cans are the comfiest though, with the best audio quality. Ever consider a pair of solid headphones and a Blue Yeti? Some people swear by those sorts of combos.

but there is just too much white noise in the background

Sounds like an issue with the headset.

As for recommendations have a look https://www.rtings.com/headphones

If money is not an issue why not go beyond just a gaming headset and for some audiophile headset like Beyerdynamic. If however you want a personal opinion so far my best headset for gaming that I used was from Sennheiser, I'm using the GSP 600 atm and you can easily use their gamebooster DAC. Expensive stuff but should be perfect. If price is an issue and you want best for your buck hyper x cloud are without a doubt top stuff.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Sounds like an issue with the headset.

As for recommendations have a look https://www.rtings.com/headphones

If money is not an issue why not go beyond just a gaming headset and for some audiophile headset like Beyerdynamic. If however you want a personal opinion so far my best headset for gaming that I used was from Sennheiser, I'm using the GSP 600 atm and you can easily use their gamebooster DAC. Expensive stuff but should be perfect. If price is an issue and you want best for your buck hyper x cloud are without a doubt top stuff.

I would like to get my hands on a wireless Arctis Pro headset without this issue, but it seems hard to get. Do you own this headset? I already have the wireless Arctis 7, and it's just fine.

Eliciel

Oops

ever tried the HyperX Cloud 2’s

(I love the Steelseries Arctic 7’s , shame they didn’t work out for you)

yes, exactly, this is the one I would have recommended. HyperX Cloud II

I am wearing this for maybe 4-5 years. Tried many many others, never stopped using this. It is outstandingly comfortable for full days of listening to music, stream, playing games and speaking with friends over TS, Discord whatever. The best I ever had to be honest...the best part is the detachable micrphone and the easy handling..!

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Got teh cash? Sennheiser HD 800 seems to be among the best for gaming. :lollipop_grinning: :lollipop_grinning: :lollipop_grinning:

Dunno how important a microphone is to you since these are headphones only though.

Or order a Sennheiser HE 1 for only 60K $ :p
x1_desktop_orpheus_gallery-1.jpg

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I was originally using some Superlux HD668Bs with a DAC. Eventually I wanted more bass, so I did away with them. Currently using some HyperX Cloud 2s and honestly they're pretty damn solid through and through! Bass levels, highs, lows, everything inbetween. Plus the price tag ain't too bad either!

DonF

I'm using the hyper x cloud 2 usb Dongle with Sony 1000xm3 and the sound is great. Still, the best sound I've got is from a dac (in my case the turtle beach dss2) and the same headphones. It's a more complicated setup but the sound difference is noticeable

I would like to get my hands on a wireless Arctis Pro headset without this issue, but it seems hard to get. Do you own this headset? I already have the wireless Arctis 7, and it's just fine.

Nope sorry I dont own it. I only tested them a bit. Why are they hard to get?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am yet to find better headphones than Koss Porta Pro... especially for gaming since they are light, open and bass is great.
But that would mean You need a mic still.

I need one that has sidetone. Current setups mic monitoring has too much gain noise.

hd6xx
Soundblaster x3
modmic

might just want to simplify the whole thing with and all in one headset/mic, with mic monitoring.

I meant that many of these headsets have the white noise issue. I don't want to gamble :/

Was it the DAC version? Maybe faulty dac? No idea, I don't remember any white noise nor have I had that issue in my headsets. There are plenty of other headsets with a dac that people have recommended. Astro A50 is pretty much the same as Arctis in terms of quality if you wanna go this route.

kingbean

I would stay away from "gaming" headsets and buy a proper audio headphone with a modmic. Some ideas:

Sennheiser HD58X, 6XX, HD 599, HD660S
Hifiman Sundara
Phillips Fidelio X2
Beyerdynamics DT1990 Pro

AKG K7xx are what I've settled on after playing with a few different high-endish brands.

The Beyerdynamics were awesome, but I ultimately ended up selling them because the AKGs did everything I wanted while being more comfortable.

Last edited:

shaddam

I'm using a Superlux HD668B and a cheap clip on mic on PS4 and PC. Budget solution as hell, but works really well. My 70 USD DAC is more expensive though :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I still have my turtle beach px5, I still love it, but it was more expensive and feels like cheap gaming plastic. And changing, rencharging batteries are pain in the ass

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Beyer dynamic DT770PRO 80ohm + focusrite 4i4+ rode nt1a. And some dank audio tweaking for voice. And ur g o l d e n.

kingbean

Beyer dynamic DT770PRO 80ohm + focusrite 4i4+ rode nt1a. And some dank audio tweaking for voice. And ur g o l d e n.

For everyone telling the OP to get the HyperX Cloud IIs, the Beyerdynamic DT770Pros are what those headphones wish they were.

Those are some of the best closed back headphones for the price IMO and they're pretty easy to drive.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I game with senheisser HD 660s. Awesome open back headphones. Incredible for music and excellent for games as well.

I have a shitty clip on mic but I only use a mic with one friend. Its something I'll upgrade in the future but those headphones are incredible.

I game with senheisser HD 660s. Awesome open back headphones. Incredible for music and excellent for games as well.

I have a shitty clip on mic but I only use a mic with one friend. Its something I'll upgrade in the future but those headphones are incredible.

I will have to check these out, well reviewed on Amazon

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
DT 770 studio + Focusrite Scarlett Solo (Or a more dedicated DAC/amp) + shitty clip on mic = PC
DT 770 Studio + Optical audio set up + DAC/AMP to Optical receiver to headphones + shitty clip on/bluetooth mic = Console

Audio chipsets on motherboards in the "Money is no object," range are solid; consoles doesn't really matter what you toss on it, it's shit audio chipsets. Bluetooth is bad for audio and just a convenience thing. It doesn't let the third party control the audio completely, but should let you manipulate your audio signals THROUGH it, for the right price

PC you can install all sorts of third party audio drivers for balancing audio and ranges, consoles you can't which is why you grab the 3rd component (Receiver) to balance and mix your audio there.

tldr;
If you don't care that much, just buy some mid range headset; if you're not like "OMG PLANAR DRIVERS VERSUS ELECTROSTATIC DRIVERS!!!!" you don't actually care as much as you think and you should just buy whatever you think is good on display on like Best Buy or whatever.
EDIT: Also any music store that sells audio equipment is a DECENT place to ask about head phones, depending on the people who work there. If they have a lot of people who do audio work, they'll guide you in the right direction and have displays as well so you can try it out. Only issue is that the audio on those displays is balanced and mixed at a baseline, and typically not per set of cans

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If it allows you should try an open back pair.

And what I mean by that is sound will leak when you play so anyone in the room hears it as well.

Absolutely love my Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pros when my wife isn't in the room.

When she is I enjoy the sound from my HyperX Cloud Alphas but nothing compares to the sound stage of open backs.

A great pair of open backs to test are the Phillips SHP9500s which can be found on sale for around $50 and are killer for the price.

Even full price on amazon atm is $75 and pair that with the V-MODA mic and you have a nice set up.

D.Final

Banned

This

Ironbunny

I use modmic + akg 712 pro. Just broke em and ordered new ones. Been using them for years as they have a great sound stage and for the price excellent sound. Any gaming headset will sound muffled and like crap compared to these. I use a headphone amp too though which adds up the price.

Highly recommend them. They are not bass heavy nor closed back so background noise will be heard while listening. Super comfy too.

akg-712b-pro-front-angle_700x700.jpg

Last edited:

SyberWolf

i use a sennheiser HD598sr and a separate mic (hd598cs is the closed back version) it is a very comfortable pair of headphones with great sound.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Can I bump this? I always wanted wireless headset. I want simple, usb dongle headset that works with ps4 slim and pc.
I've found these so far: Cloud Flight and flight S, corsair hs70, cooler master mh670, razer nari/ultimate, logitech stuff.
I don't care for voice/chat quality. I just want simple plug and play, comfortable, no 3d fake stuff. just good audio quality and minimal white noise. I like some bass too

I've gone through 2 sets of Astro A50's in the past 2 years. The first pair won't hold a charge anymore and the second pair, well the battery literally exploded on me. I don't have the tech skills to crack them open and replace the battery so, I bought a wired Razer headset and am very happy with it. When buying wireless headsets, consider battery life.

GetemMa

Sennheiser Game One is a really good headset for around $150 but they are wired. The Game Zero is the closed back version for around the same price.

Industry leading mic for a gaming headset, very comfortable, and sound quality is also very strong, but again these are wired sets. Going wireless on higher quality sets will always jack the price way up so manufacturers generally cut corners on Wireless sets unless you are paying around $300.

I use the Sennheiser HD 650's with an added Antlion ModMic. That added up to about $300 but this is a wired setup.

All of that plugs into the Sennheiser GSX 1000 Sound AMP, which converts stereo sound into Surround with amazing accuracy. I can't recommend it enough but that alone costs $230, so all of takes my sound set up into the $550 dollar range. Sound quality is stellar though and offers huge advantages in games like PUBG, and R6 Siege.

I'm not an audiophile by any means, but over the years I've really come to appreciate sound in games more and more and I consider this investment worth it because unlike other PC hardware, this stuff will stay relevant for a really long time.

Top Bottom