• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me some genesis hidden gems

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Moonwalker also Shining Force 1 & 2.

Michael_Jackson%27s_Moonwalker_Boxshot.jpg

I'll try to stick to Genesis exclusives and/or games that were better on that platform.

Haunting: Staring Polterguy - You're a ghost that needs to possess various objects and scare a family out of a house. Definitely a hidden gem.

Road Rash (any) - Fantastic fighting/racing series that didn't appear on the SNES.

Comix Zone - Late life genesis game. A side-scrolling beat-em up but graphically looks like you're moving from panel to panel in a comic.

Toe Jam & Earl - Honestly, don't bother with the first one unless you have a friend, but it's damn good if you do. The sequel is also a pretty good platformer, but nothing like the first.

Herzog Zwei - Like Toe Jam, don't bother unless you have someone to play with. It's a real-time strategy game but you control this transforming mech as well.

Dynamite Heady, Gunstar Heroes, Ristar - Really good platformers / action platformers.

Steel Empire - Shoot 'em ups aren't really my thing, but this one was really good. Steam punk themed before Steam-punk was really a thing.

Landstalker - Action-adventure RPG from a 3/4 perspective. There's platforming elements that can get frustrating, but it's worth it. Really enjoyed this one back in the day.

Sol-Feace - Another SHUMP, but I really liked this one a lot. Great music, and a cool upgrade system.

Arcus Odyssey - An action-adventure from a 3/4 perspective.

Those are off the top of my head and I think I'm tapped for the moment.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Can't remember the name but there was a very cool top down vertical F1 game on the Megadrive I bought as an import not released locally. Might be called F1 Circus.

MrDoctor

Twinkle Tale
Panorama Cotton

they'll cost you your house, though. and that's assuming you can even find them in the first place

Target Earth
Hellfire
Batman and Robin

But seriously, Gain Ground. Awesome overhead action game that lets you chose from tons of different characters with various skills. You start with a caveman with a bow and arrow but can rescue new characters to play as throughout the game. It has a nice strategic element because of the skills each character has and knowing when to sacrifice fodder characters and hanging onto the precious ones for when you really need them. Takes place in several time periods and the characters you find will be everything from samurai to robots.

Best part is starting on "hard" mode and being able to select from all the characters from the beginning. Great 2-player game too.

mokeyjoe

Megadrive Sensible Soccer is a solid port. And if you've never played one of the greatest games ever made then you should.

Apathy

Mickey mania is the bomb for the Genesis. The animations are top notch and it's a fun game. I still got my boxed copy

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Saint Sword is one I discovered very recently, it's a Taito sidescroller reminiscent of Rastan. You play as a barbarian and you can change into a centaur, a birdman, or a mermaid (for underwater traversal). The levels are slightly nonlinear and you need to track down a monster with the key to the exit (usually in the same spot but the monster differs) before unlocking the exit. The soundtrack is really awesome. I just have no idea why this game doesn't come up more in Genesis discussions.

Also, Gleylancer is a badass shmup from Masaya, but it's Japan only and ungodly expensive. Like the Thunder Force series, but not as punishing.

Twinkle Tale is another cool overhead shmup like Pocky and Rocky.

Crusader of Centy is really expensive but still great, a Zelda 3 esque adventure where you can talk to animals and get different animals with different abilities to join your party.

Star Odyssey (Japan: Blue Almanac) is a game heavily influenced by Phantasy Star 2, though not as good. It was slated to be released in America back in the early 90's, but got canceled at the last moment (I think because Sage's Creation was experience financial trouble at the time). A few years ago it got a release with a cleaned-up translation by WM or Super Fighter Team or one of those guys.

They may be fairly well-known but the Langrisser series is amazing. Langrisser 1 actually got a US release as Warsong, it's a SRPG with a great metal soundtrack and large-scale battles (you have up to 8 captains and they have armies of 8 that all move individually).

robot

Most of them have been named, but would like to add:

Midnight Resistance
Mcdonald's Treasure Land Adventure
Castlevania Bloodlines (not really hidden tho)

Castef

Banned
My advices:
- Jewel Master (challenging arcade game with cool attack customization options and good OST)
jewel-master-usa-europe-rev-a.png

- Soleil (action-RPG, very, very good, with a "catch'em all" element)
genesis_soleil_2.gif

harz-marz

Aladdin still holds up and plays well today. I play through it regularly - incredible game.

Also Micro Machines was fairly unique due to the extra ports on the cartridge:

222340-micro-machines-turbo-tournament-96-genesis-media.jpg

weekev

Banned
NBA Jam
Road Rash 2
Speedball 2 : brutal deluxe
Jungle strike
Sonic Spinball
Tazmania
Toejam and Earl

You are welcome

Spman2099

Contra: Hard Corps and Castlevania: Bloodlines were both largely overlooked in their day. Now, I know more people give them their due now, but I feel like a lot of people still haven't played them. They aren't easy. They aren't for the faint of heart. However, both games are absolute gems.

Oh, and Treasure is a brilliant company that only pumps out classics, so if you don't know them already, Gunstar Heroes and Alien Soldier (though the latter is pretty expensive these days) are freaking awesome.

These are all JP boxart, but they were all released in the west too.

Wardner - Ghouls & Ghosts-like arcade conversion platformer, can be hard, but fun, very under-rated because of the underwhelming visuals
IKUfF.jpg

Marvel Land - Namco theme park themed platform arcade conversion - lots of variety in levels (rollercoaster, Janken bosses like Alex Kidd), lots of shortcuts and secrets, and look out for the Namco character cameos (personal favourite of mine this one)
XjnhK.jpg

Gain Ground - Unqieu top-down puzzle/shooter with light strategy elements, you rescue new characters who you can then use, they all have different weapons/abilities.
QD0lu.jpg

Burning Force - nice little Space Harrier clone from Namco
obXHM.jpg

DJ Boy - Kind of hard, frustrating but fun scrolling beat 'em up, arcade conversation
rlVRD.jpg

Elemental Master - Top-down shooter from Technosoft (Thunderforce series), amazing soundtrack!
hPMSE.jpg

Ghostbusters - Fun Mega Man-like platformer
6uJfi.jpg

Magical Hat Adventure - Cool platformer, very similar to Pyscho Fox on Master System, reskinned and released in west as Decap Attack
9lQGZ.jpg

Devil Crash/Crush - Cool pinball game, nice graphics, horror theme and great music,
5HblC.jpg

Rolling Thunder 2 - Classic Namco platformer, Shinobi-esque
M07mE.jpg

(Sword Of) Vermillion - Decent RPG, not as good as Phantasy Star or Shining Force series' though but I really enjoyed it as a kid, it was my first RPG I think.
zMmwk.jpg

Toki / Ju Ju Densetsu - Monkey platformer, arcade conversion
hEqap.jpg

Wonder Boy V: Monster World 3 - Must buy platform/action RPG.
Az3NF.jpg

Hellfire - Nice space shooter, decent music
la5RQ.jpg

Crackdown - Arcade conversion, top-down puzzle/shooter - charge bombs and get out before the timer counts down.
S0iQh.jpg

b3b0p

Came in for hidden gems. Disappointed.

Please, Genesis fans checkout the Genesis Gems podcast. It's very good. Not as high production as Giant Bomb or Retronauts, but they improve and get better every time.

http://genesisgems.podomatic.com

https://www.facebook.com/GenesisGemsPodcast/

I'm far from a Genesis knowledge base, but here a couple I'd place in hidden gems category that are new to me now (thanks to Genesis Gems) recently. So far, everyone has listed known games that received a good amount of media attention and advertising back the days when we had magazines and went to the stores to buy games.

Saturday Night Slam Masters

Mazin Saga Mutant Fighter

Phelios

WolfChild

Shawdow Blasters

Ex-Mutants

Crue Ball

Zero Tolerance

Normy's Beach Babe-O-Rama

Dino Land (Pinball)

Haunting Starring Polterguy

Jerry Glanville's Pigskin Football

Crystal's Pony Tale

and I'll throw in Crusader of Centy because I only heard about it a few years ago

Not sure if Super Hydlide would be considered a hidden gem or not.

Chester Cheetah had a GamePro cover, an epic issue. It's actually a good game too, so I don't consider it really hidden, definitely a gem.

The Sega CD. I know that's not exactly what you're asking, but you need a genesis in order to play it so I will play the technicality card. FMV games are something everyone should experience. I know you said you weren't into sonic, but Sonic CD is amazing. Batman Returns is pretty darn good too.

Vectorman : both are good but I prefer one over two. Basically shootem up platforming style game. Gameplay is reminiscent of Earthworm Jim. But the real star is the music and sound design. Has some interesting transformation mechanics and in general is a bit of a showcase for early 3D-Console tech.

Boogerman : Fun and genuinely funny with responsive controls. I dont wanna say more for risk of spoiling some of the humor.

X-men 2: Clone Wars : Secretly the best soundtrack on Genesis. No exaggeration.Helps that its also a remarkably fun beat em up platformer. The only drawback is there is no saving and the campaign is actually quite long. Highly recommended.

Qasiel

It's been mentioned a couple of times already, but I'd definitely recommend Dynamite Headdy. Game was a masterpiece of platforming.

Alien Soldier - One of Treasure's best games. A complicated, challenging run-and-gun shooter with insane, system-pushing presentation, tons of cool bosses, and bullet parrying. It's a boss rush game, so stages only serve to act as refuel stations and small changes of pace before the next real battle.

Ranger X - A sidescrolling action game where you pilot a mech and its support unit vehicle (used for weapon switching, also gives you higher movement speed and an extra health bar when boarded). Has a fairly high learning curve, but isn't that difficult once you understand how the game works. The game has phenomena attention to detail and a variety of creative stages.

Herzog Zwei - An early take on RTS. You and your opponent both control machines that can switch between mech and jet forms. Your objective is to manufacture armies (of soldiers, tanks, mounted rocket launchers, missile boats, etc.), deploy them onto the map, and order them to take outposts around the map (allowing you more resources to create units with) and eventually the enemy's main base itself. What sets it apart from modern RTS games is the slight action game bent that comes with your character being a physical avatar who must move around the map in order to manufacture and deploy units and fight off enemy units (or the enemy player themselves) when needed. Best played in multiplayer; the single-player campaign isn't very interesting.

Twinkle Tale - A top-down shooter (not quite a shmup / STG, think more Pocky and Rocky). Mechanically it's pretty straightforward - you have three weapons you can switch between (and level up as you collect items) and a few types of screen-clearing "smart bomb" items you can keep in stock. Has strong pacing and good stage variety, so the levels never feel rote.

Contra: Hard Corps, Castlevania Bloodlines, and Rocket Knight Adventures are all excellent games too.

James Pond 2: Codename Robocod. This game was weeeeeiiiiiird and trippy. (not sure I would call it a 'gem' though, haha!)

Just realised it was published by EA. Man, the 90s were weird.

00e39771602cd117ad9eb2ec7ae00f1b.jpg

Also, Klax (not sure I would call it 'hidden').

Dizzy-4U

eQjShYd.png

Played through this recently and enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't know if it's a hidden gem or not since I didn't have a genesis back in the day.

Opa-Pa

Lots of great suggestions. Some not very hidden gem-ey at all... but very good still, and I learned about a game or two either way.

As for me, I'll recommend Super Fantasy Zone

Super_Fantasy_Zone_title.png

It's the third main entry in the Fantasy Zone franchise, a series of horizontal cute 'em up with great music, some good but fair challenge, very unique mechanics like buying temporal upgrades with the money you get from enemies in a shop that appears mid-stages, and surprisingly tragic stories.

This one was developed by SunSoft and while it's my least favorite of the three, it's still pretty damn good

sfz-7.png

sfz-4.png

There's OutRun 2019 too, which I think isn't very well liked and it's definitely almost nothing like OutRun, but I thought it was a fairly good F-Zero clone with an interesting soundtrack and nice (if a bit boring) visuals

outrun2019-1.png

Came in for hidden gems. Disappointed.

Please, Genesis fans checkout the Genesis Gems podcast. It's very good. Not as high production as Giant Bomb or Retronauts, but they improve and get better every time.

http://genesisgems.podomatic.com

https://www.facebook.com/GenesisGemsPodcast/

I'm far from a Genesis knowledge base, but here a couple I'd place in hidden gems category that are new to me now (thanks to Genesis Gems) recently. So far, everyone has listed known games that received a good amount of media attention and advertising back the days when we had magazines and went to the stores to buy games.

Saturday Night Slam Masters

Mazin Saga Mutant Fighter

Phelios

WolfChild

Shawdow Blasters

Ex-Mutants

Crue Ball

Zero Tolerance

Normy's Beach Babe-O-Rama

Dino Land (Pinball)

Haunting Starring Polterguy

Jerry Glanville's Pigskin Football

Crystal's Pony Tale

and I'll throw in Crusader of Centy because I only heard about it a few years ago

Not sure if Super Hydlide would be considered a hidden gem or not.

Chester Cheetah had a GamePro cover, an epic issue. It's actually a good game too, so I don't consider it really hidden, definitely a gem.

Finally, someone mentioned Ex-Mutants: http://planetarbitrary.com/2013/11/ex-mutants-the-hardest-game-to-stop-playing/

Kaji AF16

Alien Soldier (a true gem, although it´s considerably difficult).
Comix Zone
General Chaos
Robocop vs. Terminator

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Your picks are good, OP.

Beyond Oasis is fantastic, like Zelda but with good combat. It's also fairly short, doesn't overstay its welcome. Highly recommended.

Phantasy Star II aged poorly but Phantasy Star IV is still great. You don't need to have played the others, you can start with IV (I did, back in the day).

Shining Force I and II are timeless classics.

Other recs:

Wonder Boy 5 / Monster World 3, excellent side-scrolling, action-adventure with an interconnected world

Gunstar Heroes, best action/shooter ever tbh

Vectorman, great action/platformer

Castlevania Bloodlines

(I guess none of those are really hidden but the games you listed as looking at aren't either so I figure that's within the scope of the thread!)

mindatlarge

Since you mentioned the Phantasy Star series, do yourself a favor and at least play Phantasy Star IV. Hands down one of the best JRPGs of the 16-bit era. Music, sprite work and the story are all topnotch. It has aged pretty good as well.

zoodoo

Since you mentioned the Phantasy Star series, do yourself a favor and at least play Phantasy Star IV. Hands down one of the best JRPGs of the 16-bit era. Music, sprite work and the story are all topnotch. It has aged pretty good as well.

Can I skip the other ones?

mindatlarge

Can I skip the other ones?
In my opinion, yes, with so many great games to play on the Mega Drive and it's not necessary to play the other games for the story of IV to make sense. I don't think there is much debate that IV is the best game in the series. The other games are still good, but IV is the gem of the series.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Powerball

Growl

Also Phantasy Star IV. As someone who couldn't actually bear to play the other PS games (PS2 is so grindy and barebones and Nei sucks. PS3 is completely unrelated to the others to the point it could be a completely different game.)

The only thing you really miss out on is the irony of a certain plot twist. (Though even in isolation, it s pretty surprising.)

Coda

Alien_Soldier_Coverart.png

Alien Soldier, the Mega Drive game that pushed the console to it's limits and also the game tons of people never played because it was officially only released in Japan. Considered to be one of the best run 'n gun games ever made and also one of the hardest.

tumblr_inline_o4zysoQf611ri4d3y_540.gif

edl6xa4wrjm4b3yftu9m.gif

1439274343935.gif

tumblr_o32nti6MBQ1rypw9yo1_500.gif

zoodoo

Alien Soldier, the Mega Drive game that pushed the console to it's limits and also the game tons of people never played because it was officially only released in Japan. Considered to be one of the best run 'n gun games ever made and also one of the hardest.
Yeah, I remember trying this one on emulator. Amazing game but way to hard for me :(

Top Bottom