• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommendations for a new PC gamer

Emulation, son.

Time to break out your very favorite PS2 and Wii games and experience them in a whole new light.

You haven't seen games like FFXII and Super Mario Galaxy 2 until you've seen 'em in high resolutions with proper antialiasing and anisotropic filtering yo.
1q2zzs.png
dolphin2015-01-2312-4v5uuf.png
2g5xrh.png

Also, what kind of mouse and keyboard do you own? A good mouse with some extra programmable buttons really blows the lid off of what you can do on a moment to moment basis in many games.

Lingitiz

As much as people shit on it, Skyrim is actually a good way to ease yourself into what modding is like and how much you can improve the experience over consoles.

Other than that, another great starter game is TF2.

Lingitiz

I don't think anybody shits on Skyrim's status as the king of modding communities. I could barely choke down the main plot of that game but it's still worth a buy without question. Amazing playground for mods, and to Bethesda's credit they've done a good job supporting that at a time when even PC first developers sometimes aren't doing their best on that front.

Yeah I gravely dislike the main story and have never finished it despite putting a ton of hours into the game. It is mostly a good way to have a ridiculous modded sandbox experience and you can even make it look really nice with some ENB setups.

Also by the time I got to Skyrim they had Steam workshop and the Nexus Mod Manager, so those are really the easiest ways to install things. It's pretty much idiot proof.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Stalker is a good choice as well, and very cheap.

960 2GB/4GB is just in an odd place for value slotted between the older AMD cards and the 970. I'd just always suggest 970 as a stretch simply due to the performance gains, or the AMD alternative.

That said 960 is still a fine card so don't sweat too much. New, actual good cards (HBM2) will be here eventually™ so there's a good upgrade around the corner when you want it.

sleepykyo

I want either DayZ, H1Z1, Ark: Survival Evolved or Rust. I am also considering CounterStrike: GO and Garry's Mod. I'm not sure about Garry's Mod because there doesn't seem to be much to do and I am wary of CounterStrike: GO because it looks hard (I'm not skilled with the mouse) and the gameplay videos were boring (probably because the player had a 100% hitrate).

Well CounterStrike: GO has a ladder/ranking system so you should get be playing against players at a similar skill level. H1Z1 has turned into a battle royal game. I guess Ark wins out.

AlexBasch

I still got some keys from a Origin bundle sale a few years ago, haha. If you feel like trying them out (Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Crysis 2 and Burnout Paradise) throw me a PM. :)

You mentioned you're a console gamer, but Crysis 2 would be a good eye candy for your PC, I suppose. :p

Walpurgis

Banned
I still got some keys from a Origin bundle sale a few years ago, haha. If you feel like trying them out (Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Crysis 2 and Burnout Paradise) throw me a PM. :)

You mentioned you're a console gamer, but Crysis 2 would be a good eye candy for your PC, I suppose. :p
Wow, thanks a lot!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Your i5-4460 is pretty close to my i5-4590. However, I'm not sure what games a 960 can handle. Anyway, just looking through my Steam library here are some games that I'd recommend looking into and they should be fine with your PC:

1. Alien: Isolation
  2. Bioshock 1/2/Infinite
  3. Borderlands 2
  4. Cities: Skylines
  5. Counterstrike: GO
  6. Divinity: Original Sin
  7. DOTA 2
  8. Half Life 2, Ep 1, Ep 2
  9. Kerbal Space Program
  10. Homeworld: Remastered
  11. Left 4 Dead 2
  12. Portal 1 & 2 (I have a spare copy of Portal 1 on Steam. If you want it let me know your Steam ID and I'll gift you it)
  13. Torchlight 2
  14. Towerfall Ascension
  15. The Witcher 1 & 2 (Not sure how 3 runs on a 960)

Other games I'd recommend.

1. League of Legends (Riot Games)
  2. Heroes of the Storm (Blizzard / Battle.net)
  3. Diablo 3 (Blizzard / Battle.net)
  4. Battlefield 4 (EA / Origin)
  5. World of Warcraft (Blizzard / Battle.net)
  6. Final Fantasy XIV (Steam / Standalone)
  7. Elder Scrolls Online (Steam / Standalone)

If you want to play some older classic PC games then check out GOG.com. Also, you can find great deals on code sites (I use Green Man Gaming/CD Keys/Game Keys Now). Steam sales are the biggest/best. Don't pay full price for a game unless you want it now. Owning a PC isn't just about playing the latest games at the highest quality. There are so many games out there that are only available on PC. I only have a few games that really truly push my PC. Most of the time I play old/lightweight games. Just have fun :)

tbd

Now you can finally play CRPGs, strategy games and (ego) shooters which, in my book, are a mess on consols (try rocket-jumping with a controller in Team Fortress 2 if you feel like it). Just go wild, enjoy your mods and 60 FPS.

And also take into consideration that you can play all your PS2, GC or Wii games in 1080p.

impact

Banned
Emulation, son.

Time to break out your very favorite PS2 and Wii games and experience them in a whole new light.

You haven't seen games like FFXII and Super Mario Galaxy 2 until you've seen 'em in high resolutions with proper antialiasing and anisotropic filtering yo.

Also, what kind of mouse and keyboard do you own? A good mouse with some extra programmable buttons really blows the lid off of what you can do on a moment to moment basis in many games.

Can confirm Mario Galaxy 2 is amazing on Dolphin at 4x resolution, AA/AF and most importantly a proper controller. Thought I'd never be able to play SMG and DKCR because of that garbage Wiimote but Dolphin saves the day. BEST EMULATOR.

Top Bottom