• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the MonoCase - a PC gamer's PS4 sized gaming PC

z7z0unM.jpg

8mH9Em4.jpg

More images at the album.

Here's a video of the PC in action with the RGB LEDs.

Created by Reddit user nztdm, this gaming PC case is designed to be approximately the size of a PS4 while still maintaining good temps and being able to use full sized parts. He submitted it to Cooler Master's Case Mod World Series, and I'd guess that's probably a decent chance he wins!

The specs are as follows:
SIZE: 5.07 litres. 311x267x61mm (PS4 is 4.45 Litres. 305x274x53)
This case is just 14% larger!
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 @ 3.8GHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 3.5GB @ 1500MHz (shortest non-ITX GPU, perfect fit)
RAM: Kingston 1x8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Low-Profile
Cooler:* Silverstone NT07-115X (smaller than Intel stock cooler. similar performance)
Motherboard: Gigabyte H87N-WiFi
WiFi: Realtek RTL8919SE (The Intel 7260 sucked)
PSU: Athena AP-MFATX50P8 (modified)
LED: Custom serial RGB LED controller with temperature sensors

He also notes that:
  • CPU and GPU temps max out around 73ºC
  • Semi-passive cooling. Front USB3.0 x 2, and HD Audio jacks
  • Can fit a small backpack, pillowcase, his lap, with ease
  • >13000 Graphics score in 3DMark Firestrike
What do you think, GAF? Personally, the fact that this can use full desktop parts at that size fucking astounds me. I want it, and I want it bad. I'd pay quite a bit to get a case like that in matte black, though I bet it wouldn't be expensive to mass produce with the amount of plastic that would be used per case. My specs are similar to that PC but I use a full sized tower - I'd love to get a box that size for ease of portability and taking up less desk space.

Nzyme32

Love the small form factor movement at the moment. Best of luck to him and his entry. Makes me wonder why we have no new on the valve prototype case / CAD files

RM8

Cool! Small gaming PCs need to be a thing.

EDIT: I bought an Alienware Alpha, but it's pretty much the exception, there are very few options, and you can't upgrade the GPU.

Ahh, hehe. I didn't zoom in on the pics - Just noticed there wasn't any storage on the spec list. 840 EVO is a killer drive.

If this case becomes commercially available, I'm in a mindset where I'll get a 2TB SSD. Just need Samsung to drop those 850 Pro 2TB...

Even if he doesn't win if he can manage to sell these in droves he'll make tons of money. I want one too

More case makers need to sell the case, not over charged on weak ass prebuilt ones

If I was him, I'd look in to trying to talk to a case manufacturer about it.

That is really fucking ugly.

Yeah. It would look so much better in a matte black plastic

Looks fantastic, though I would personally prefer a case that wasn't clear if I were to buy a retail version. Speaking of which, I wish more PCs were this small, I'm starting to get tired of giant 1/4 fridge sized behemoths, such immense sizes seem unnecessary in 2015 when we no longer need DVDs drives and CPUs run much cooler than in the past.

Seanspeed

Banned
Extremely impressive, especially with the CPU at 3.8Ghz and the GTX970 at 1500Mhz. I'd want a large capacity HDD, though.

First I though it was ugly, but it grew on me in 10 seconds. Clear is functional I guess.
Don't particularly care for LEDs, unless they can be programmed to indicate temperature.
Hopefully commercial cases take a leaf, or that this becomes available for consumers.

Chinbo37

Not sure what his budget was but he should really build a second one with a slick matte black case and get rid of hte LEDs and throw some sort of a logo on it.

The clear one is cool to show how everything fits but he might really be able to sell them if they are not super ugly.

KHlover

Banned
Inb4 "but where is the BD drive"

OT: Looks really nice, reminds me of the old transparent versions of the GB Nintendo used to release. I love seeing the hardware inside the case :D

Justinh

For the sake of demonstration I assume

This makes sense.

It's cool that something like this does (or could) exist, but it's not for me. I like having the convenience and more options from a bigger case.

Hope he wins the contest, though

Yeah. It would look so much better in a matte black plastic

If the above is sarcasm: Yes. It would. To be honest it'd look better if it was housed in Timmy's First Desktop and was covered in garish LEDs.

It looks shit but if the point of it is to be almost as compact as a PS4 (while being more powerful, I assume) then the person succeeded.

Dr Dogg

That's crazy that you can get all of that in there and temps are outstanding given that and limited cooling options.

ToD_

I'd definitely buy something like this (minus the LEDs) to hook up to the projector or TV if the noise levels are low. Having such a powerful CPU and GPU in such a small box is impressive.

If the above is sarcasm: Yes. It would. To be honest it'd look better if it was housed in Timmy's First Desktop and was covered in garish LEDs.

It looks shit but if the point of it is to be almost as compact as a PS4 (while being more powerful, I assume) then the person succeeded.

Why would it be sarcasm? I'm serious, lol. I want one that's matte black.

Yeah, matte black plastic would be great for mass production. As someone else said, the LEDs (or just an LED please) could serve to indicate component temperature. Those two things would have this case selling like hot cakes.

I'm interested in building a smaller PC in the not too distant future, but this is too small for me.

The clear plastic should have been coloured for that nineties look. Otherwise it's alright I guess?

nampad

Looks super ugly. Most people want smaller cases for a living room PC but I can't imagine an abomination like this in my living room.

That's a really nice case. As someone who built an HTPC last year it's much harder than you would imagine to be able to find a well-built smaller case, love to see more ones like this come out.

Sorcerer

Love the small form factor movement at the moment. Best of luck to him and his entry. Makes me wonder why we have no new on the valve prototype case / CAD files

Probably because Valve's partners would not be too happy if Valve gave out those cad files before their own machines hit the market.

The sentiment is basically that anyone can build a better pc for cheaper than what the Steam Machine vendors are offering. (Check out the recent hate on the Steam Alienware Steam Machine forums)

Releasing those cad files would just add fuel to the fire..

Seanspeed

Banned
Looks super ugly. Most people want smaller cases for a living room PC but I can't imagine an abomination like this in my living room.
I really think people are getting way too hung up on the use of a clear plastic(which is mostly likely just to demonstrate the packaging) rather than appreciate what has been accomplished here.

Top Bottom