• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore Definitive Edition coming soon

EvB

I'm looking forward to this, I liked what I played of it, it had a BG&E vibe. But it was pretty Janky

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Hope this makes a surprise appearance on Steam/GOG etc. Been wanting to play it for ages but not got around to it, loved the demo.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hope this makes a surprise appearance on Steam/GOG etc. Been wanting to play it for ages but not got around to it, loved the demo.

Microsoft doesn't sell games on GOG, unfortunately. Ori wouldn't be on there if it weren't for Nordic.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this game, fan of the Devs so I picked it up on Xbox after launch and Played it exclusively on my PC. Despite a limp and padded ending, the mechanics and characters were really enjoyable and a spruced up version would be a nice little gem In the catalogue

Oh great, now we are getting definitive editions in the same generation. The video game industry is so dirty compared to other entertainment industries.

Edit: they will probably announce this at their gamescom presentation next weekend.

Kent

How are the load times on PC with an SSD?

I think the longest load time I've seen on PC was 16 seconds - and this the area (the largest one in the game) that the Xbox One version took, if I remember right, about two and a half minutes to load. You could say it's a bit of an improvement.

This was also prior to the game receiving any of the patches that supposedly reduced loading times.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Recore had a really solid core and if it had more time it could of been amazing. Maybe this version will be what we deserve.

kevin1025

Banned
I really hope the definitive edition is a free upgrade, or, at worst, a $5 upgrade like Ori had. I bought it back on Black Friday and had been holding out since this rumor started. Gamescom shall deliver!

Sold poorly is always dependent to the target they had. What for us looks like low sales may have been their expectations.

True. It just seems like Microsoft normally has pretty high sales expectations. But maybe they didn't with this one. I would also love to see a sequel. There is strong potential for a great game there.

EvB

True. It just seems like Microsoft normally has pretty high sales expectations. But maybe they didn't with this one. I would also love to see a sequel. There is strong potential for a great game there.

It was a budget release, so it wasn’t being treated as a AAA game.

ReCore has the potential to be a bigger deal. The protagonist has an alright design and gameplay seems to have some really enjoyable aspects. If Armature is allowed to do another one, we could have a very good title

Novocaine

ReCore has the potential to be a bigger deal. The protagonist has an alright design and gameplay seems to have some really enjoyable aspects. If Armature is allowed to do another one, we could have a very good title

I really hope they get a chance. Even for all of the problems with the game it was a joy to play.

It was a budget release, so it wasn’t being treated as a AAA game.

Oh OK. I didn't follow too closely...did it release cheaper than $60? With a budget price and therefore likely a less expensive than normal development budget, that could bode well for a sequel. Maybe it would only need about 750,000 to 1 million in sales?

Theorry

Oh OK. I didn't follow too closely...did it release cheaper than $60? With a budget price and therefore a less expensive than normal development budget, that could bode well for a sequel. Maybe it would only need about 750,000 to 1 million in sales?

40 bucks.

I really hope the definitive edition is a free upgrade, or, at worst, a $5 upgrade like Ori had. I bought it back on Black Friday and had been holding out since this rumor started. Gamescom shall deliver!
Didn't they say it will be a free upgrade, at least the T8NK bot?

blakep267

Oh OK. I didn't follow too closely...did it release cheaper than $60? With a budget price and therefore likely a less expensive than normal development budget, that could bode well for a sequel. Maybe it would only need about 750,000 to 1 million in sales?
I doubt it would've needed to sell 1 million copies. Assume it's the same budget as a slightly bigger indie game. Those def don't need to sell 1 million to be considered a success. I'm thinking more along the lines of a few hundred thousand at most

I doubt it would've needed to sell 1 million copies. Assume it's the same budget as a slightly bigger indie game. Those def don't need to sell 1 million to be considered a success. I'm thinking more along the lines of a few hundred thousand at most

If that's the case, I feel it probably hit targets based on worldwide sales. I suspect it cleared 500,000. I would be curious to see some sales figures.

Oh great, now we are getting definitive editions in the same generation. The video game industry is so dirty compared to other entertainment industries.

Edit: they will probably announce this at their gamescom presentation next weekend.

Movies do the same stuff, definitely not exclusive to video games. Lord of the Rings released the standard editions on bluray and held off for quite a while before the extended editions came out, 3D Star Wars TFA took months to release after the standard bluray.
And now they do fun things where the digital version of some movies get exclusive features like commentaries or behind-the-scenes footage that are included or not depending on what service you bought it from.

And Disney does like 3 versions of all their movies. Platinum Edition, 50th Anniversary edition, Gold Edition, etc. and the make them available for limited times so they can get hard to find after a while.

In Recore's case, it's not really any different than the usual "GOTY" or "Complete" editions that come out for most games.

The waypoint system needs fixing, I hope they fix that, I look at what Hello Games is doing with No Man Sky updates & improvements and hoping for something similar here.

Selling a improved version is probably is probably one of the least scummiest things a entertainment industry could do.

I assume they're not going to physically rerelease this with how many copies are out there already?

If that's the case, I feel it probably hit targets based on worldwide sales. I suspect it cleared 500,000. I would be curious to see some sales figures.

I definitely don't think it hit 500k. Also how many copies were actually sold at full-price as opposed to sub-$20?

I remember it doing like sub-100k in the NPD debut.

Chris1

500,000 is way too high if you ask me

maybe like 300,000 if it's lucky

but I do think it hit closer to the targets than any of their other new IP barring Ori, and the game seems to have potential so I think a sequel is on the cards at some point

Well, obviously MS is paying them to continue support in some form.

What the game really needs though is some sort of collectibles map built into the game so that I do not have to wander aimlessly for hundreds of collectibles. It's literally idiotic design in this day and age. I never finished the game after the soft ending simply because I would have had to waste hours upon hours wandering around searching for collectibles.

500,000 is way too high if you ask me

maybe like 300,000 if it's lucky

but I do think it hit closer to the targets than any of their other new IP barring Ori, and the game seems to have potential so I think a sequel is on the cards at some point

I hope you're right about the sequel. I want to see more single-player focused stuff out of Microsoft.

Here is their potential list of upcoming sequels:
- Halo 6
- Gears 5
- Forza Horizon & Motorsport
- Ori 2
- State of Decay 2
- Recore 2

That's not too bad. The two that sting and I feel are really missing: Sunset Overdrive 2 and a new Fable game. If those 2 things were on the cards, I feel people would be looking much more favorably at their lineup.

What the game really needs though is some sort of collectibles map built into the game so that I do not have to wander aimlessly for hundreds of collectibles...
Note that at least some of the collectibles are in fact marked on the in-game map.

It has been a while since I finished the game so I'm not sure what proportion is marked and what proportion is unmarked, but the videos below should give an idea:
Glad my earlier post was helpful! It's tough to answer this type of question without specifics, so I spent some time (with help from the IGN Wiki) to create an outline of the structure of the game:

Open/Overworld – 38 Cores Are Collectable
Area 1:
Granite Steps
6 Cores Collectable
Demonstration (IGN): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJTbeth6hZ0
Area 2:
Lonely Basin
12 Cores Collectable
Demonstration (IGN): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO4cyinjgl4
Area 3:
The Cradle
10 Cores Collectable
Demonstration (IGN): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_px1-_q-Tw
Starting at 1:41 they show you the in-game map, then they zoom in on the location of a Prismatic Core (a core that is also marked on the in-game map), then they proceed to grab it. You'll see that the next core that they pinpoint (starting at 3:31) is not marked on the in-game map, but the one after that (starting at 4:53) is marked. So from the in-game map shown in these videos, you can see that a great many of the core locations are marked on the in-game map.
Area 4:
Shifting Sands
10 Cores Collectable
Demonstration (IGN): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Rf0qmnAV0

[...]

I hope you're right about the sequel. I want to see more single-player focused stuff out of Microsoft.

Here is their potential list of upcoming sequels:
- Halo 6
- Gears 5
- Forza Horizon & Motorsport
- Ori 2
- State of Decay 2
- Recore 2

That's not too bad. The two that sting and I feel are really missing: Sunset Overdrive 2 and a new Fable game. If those 2 things were on the cards, I feel people would be looking much more favorably at their lineup.

Sunset Overdrive 2 with 4p co-op, mmmmmmmm

Chaos Mode was cool, but it would've been so much better if played with friends in the entire city.

Lutherian

I never felt so sad to see "By the team that bought you Metroid Prime".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjo9HURdqhA

How did they fucked up the game to this p... oh... I see.

588112-inafune_capcom_wii.jpg

It's better than nothing, I guess.

bede-x

Absolutely. They have a solid line-up, it's just very unbalanced. A few single player AAA games would do much, though Crackdown style co-op would fit a Sunset Overdrive sequel perfectly.

I'm hoping them making a definitive version of Recore is a sign they haven't moved on from the franchise and are considering doing another one.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
The more time passes, the more I realise that I can't wait for another playthrough of ReCore.

Really looking forward to this definitive edition finally releasing. Not long to wait now, hopefully.

I guess with some of the comment here I see why mid tier games have kinds gone away. So much negativity for this game and it wasn't full price.

For me it was great for what it was and I hope the addittions make it better.

I guess I am with game like I am with movies where I'll see anything and have fun where as some people will only pay to see blockbusters.

I guess with some of the comment here I see why mid tier games have kinds gone away. So much negativity for this game and it wasn't full price.

I guess I am with game like I am with movies where I'll see anything and have fun where as some people will only pay to see blockbusters.
I never got that far in it due to loading time issues, missing content, etc. I'm hoping this is a free update, I would love to jump back in to the "improved" product

I'm actually doing this with a few games...Halo 5, Gears 4, Recore, Witcher 3...all waiting to start/finish based on Xbox One X enhancements

Definitely see what you're saying and I loved Recore too, however the game did have some genuine issues regardless of price point. It's fine to present a game that's at a lower price and in turn present something more modest; smaller in scope, not the bleeding edge visuals and so on. I don't think that's the same as actually putting the game out with areas that are incomplete though, I do think there's a very big distinction there. Definitely looking forward to a revised edition though and another play.

Lagamorph

Might have to give this another play through from the start when this drops.
Really enjoyed my time with the game after getting it on Xbox at launch, especially once the load time patch hit.

Top Bottom