• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Even though it should be a big movie you watch late at night with popcorn and such, I watched Rogue One on a boring afternoon...I think that might have decreased my enjoyment a bit since it lost that "event" feeling.

Davey Cakes

I usually try to stay on the positive side of Rogue One, defending its good aspects.

The honest, personal truth is, I felt kind of dead watching it. The action meant nothing without the story and characters to back it up.

"Worth watching" is the best grade I can give the movie, because at the very least I understand that people need to make up their own minds.

EVOL 100%

It's a serious war movie about the rebel cause, you don't understand. You really understand the plight and sacrifices of the rebels after watching the film!

And then Vadar the space facist SS dude shows up to kill faceless rebel soldiers in a pointless dumb fan service moment which undermines that whole 'serious war army' shit but it's totally badass lol

The best thing I can say about Rogue One, is that it's a good looking movie. And I don't mean it in the RLM meme way of "AND THE VISTAS!", but sincerely. It looks great. Great material for wallpapers, if you're into that (which I'm not).

The Vader scene meant absolutely nothing to me.

EVOL 100%

The best thing I can say about Rogue One, is that it's a good looking movie. And I don't mean it in the RLM meme way of "AND THE VISTAS!", but sincerely. It looks great. Great material for wallpapers, if you're into that (which I'm not).

The Vader scene meant absolutely nothing to me.

I found the Vader scenes and R2D2 CP3O scenes embarrassing and endemic of the problems of the movie.

I guess I found them so grating because I don't really care about Star Wars and find forced attempts and inducing nostalgia nauseating.

I found the Vader scenes and R2D2 CP3O scenes embarrassing and endemic of the problems of the movie.

I guess I found them so grating because I don't really care about Star Wars and find forced attempts and inducing nostalgia nauseating.

Believe me, it's much worse as a fan. Unless you're the "I clapped when I saw an x-wing!" sort of person, I guess. Then it's the best thing you've ever seen in your entire life.

Schlorgan

The C3P0 bit bugged me the most as those two were supposed to be on Leia's ship which (as far as I know) was already on its way to Scarif.

I feel conflicted about the vader scene

On the one hand, it's blatant, pointless fan service to get sheeple to clap at how bad ass vader

On the other hand, I clapped and enjoyed how bad ass vader looked like a sheeple

I'm glad to see people start being more critical of Rogue One. I felt gaf's wrath by saying the Vader scene at the end was fucking dumb. Oh man...

Edit: also, most of the cameos felt real dumb considering that there's no reason most of those characters shouldn't be at that particular place at that time. Not to mention that the full is nice looking visually but a dull slog that gets better at the end and then fucks it up with pointless fan service.

Schlorgan

Come on, guys, Rogue One is on a much higher level than something like Terminator: Genesys when it comes to big-budget fan fiction films. ;P

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Their content has never been better to me

I didnt care much for HITB other than special case ones like the Grown Ups one. But now we Re:View, BOTW, WOTW, and Nerd Crew

jviggy43

I'm glad to see people start being more critical of Rogue One. I felt gaf's wrath by saying the Vader scene at the end was fucking dumb. Oh man...

Edit: also, most of the cameos felt real dumb considering that there's no reason most of those characters shouldn't be at that particular place at that time. Not to mention that the full is nice looking visually but a dull slog that gets better at the end and then fucks it up with pointless fan service.
Try telling star wars gaf that we don't need a movie to flesh out every little thing an established character does off screen. Rich Evans hit the nail on the head with his assessment that star wars is the biggest smallest universe ever. It feels so big but every fucking movie has to revolve around the same characters and the same things over and over again. It's nauseating

aravuus

I feel conflicted about the vader scene

On the one hand, it's blatant, pointless fan service to get sheeple to clap at how bad ass vader

On the other hand, I clapped and enjoyed how bad ass vader looked like a sheeple

Hahah, this is pretty much how I still feel about it. It's blatant and dumb as fuck, but I won't deny the fact that my reaction at the time was something like "THAT WAS FUCKING COOL"

But Rogue One as a whole is still shit

Try telling star wars gaf that we don't need a movie to flesh out every little thing an established character does off screen. Rich Evans hit the nail on the head with his assessment that star wars is the biggest smallest universe ever. It feels so big but every fucking movie has to revolve around the same characters and the same things over and over again. It's nauseating

This is what my main problem with the Star Wars universe is: it doesn't understand that some things should be left unexplained. Recently, I found out that there was a comic released that explained why C3PO has a red arm in TFA, and I groaned. The reason I liked the red arm bit was that the reason for it is never explained, and you can imagine C3PO loosing his arm as part of some crazy adventure. Part of the fun of a fictional universe comes from the parts you never see; that fans can speculate and theorize about, but are never given a clear answer on. Another reason is that fans have a lot of imagination, and they probably have theories or ideas that are cooler than what the creators thought up. As a fan of Doctor Who, this is one of my biggest problems with Steven Moffat's mysteries on the show; he teases them so much that the fan end up speculating better plots than his. I haven't read the comic, but I can guarantee that some fan thought up a better explanation for the red arm than the official one.

One of my favourite new worlds is that of John Wick, which leaves several things vague, and even when it gives you answers, does it in a way that leaves you with only more questions. That's one of my favourite parts of that universe: that it's so vast and deep that you can only just scratch the surface of what it contains (much like our own universe).

"STD"

I'm dying from that....

I haven't seen the first episode of STD yet, so I am spoiling myself by watching this review. But whatever. I might have to check the show out.

Mike makes a great point about previous Star Trek shows being set in universes that you want to live in. The positive thinking future is a part of Star Trek's appeal.

I wonder if Jay will do a Re-View for Twin Peaks season 3?

All's fun, but the going by previous naming conventions the official abbreviation would be DIS

Good point. But in my head cannon, it will be STD.

Also, they are right about The Orville being TNG fan fiction... I have seen the first two episodes, and yeah...

namabiiru

Rogue One is light on the characters, but the last hour is fantastic. I'd definitely give it a watch, but it's not a film you're likely to watch a second time.

LakeEarth

Mike subscribes to the horrible TNG and VOY interpretation of the Prime Directive, "Fuck em and let them die"
I always imagined the Prime Directive to mean things like stopping war, injustice or the Enterprise example where a disease was killing only one of two intelligent species on the planet. I don't like when they apply that to a sun exploding, or something of that nature. If they can stop that, they should even though it's technically a "natural progression [completion]" of the species.

Cheerilee

Mike subscribes to the horrible TNG and VOY interpretation of the Prime Directive, "Fuck em and let them die"

I think Mike was more pointing out that the Prime Directive exists, rather than looking deeper into it and making a moral judgement on whether or not it should exist.

The Captain and First Officer are mucking around with guns on some planet (for it's people's own good), and they bring up the Prime Directive, but immediately dismiss it as "Eh, it's fine, so long as nobody sees what we're doing." (And then they get seen by the natives anyways.)

Mike's response: "Didn't dozens of episodes of TV tell me that's not how the Prime Directive works?"

But then, Mike also added that maybe the Prime Directive got more strict as they went along, and I think that's the ticket, but STD didn't seem to do a good job of pointing that out, since STD has a kind of weird fit in the timeline (it seems to exist much later in time than it does, and in the wrong JJ Abrams timeline). STD is a sequel to Enterprise, and Enterprise didn't have the Prime Directive yet (wink wink, nudge nudge). Sooo... STD has the Prime Directive now. But in a few years, Captain Kirk totally thinks it's his business to shove bloody planetary warfare down a civilization's throat, because he thinks those pussies need to know what "real war" looks like. Which is something that Picard says is a big no-no (while giving a softer endorsement of genocide). And then we've got Janeway saying that genocide is the only true way. There does seem to be a shift in attitudes, where the Prime Directive starts out as a good idea, a helpful guideline, until years later it becomes a harmful absolute.

Since STD sits somewhere between Captain Kirk's "cowboy diplomacy" and Archer's "I have no idea what I'm doing", it's reasonable for it to bounce around with the idea of the Prime Directive... but I don't think any of that context was made clear in the episode. The episode just opens up with our main characters breaking the Prime Directive for someone's own good (something that Star Trek repeatedly told us was bad), and then wandering away and leaving the issue without comment.

"STD"

I'm dying from that....
That's what she said.

I always imagined the Prime Directive to mean things like stopping war, injustice or the Enterprise example where a disease was killing only one of two intelligent species on the planet. I don't like when they apply that to a sun exploding, or something of that nature. If they can stop that, they should even though it's technically a "natural progression [completion]" of the species.
The Enterprise example is a horrible example. Please see SFDebris' review of that episode (and it's accompanying look at the Prime Directive) for an explanation of why Dr Phlox is a genocidal madman who could make even Janeway blush.
http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/e113.php

But then, Mike also added that maybe the Prime Directive got more strict as they went along, and I think that's the ticket, but STD didn't seem to do a good job of pointing that out, since STD has a kind of weird fit in the timeline (it seems to exist much later in time than it does, and in the wrong JJ Abrams timeline). STD is a sequel to Enterprise, and Enterprise didn't have the Prime Directive yet (wink wink, nudge nudge). Sooo... STD has the Prime Directive now. But in a few years, Captain Kirk totally thinks it's his business to shove bloody planetary warfare down a civilization's throat, because he thinks those pussies need to know what "real war" looks like. Which is something that Picard says is a big no-no (while giving a softer endorsement of genocide). And then we've got Janeway saying that genocide is the only true way. There does seem to be a shift in attitudes, where the Prime Directive starts out as a good idea, a helpful guideline, until years later it becomes a harmful absolute.

Which is honestly why I would like them to do a sequel series, because there's something to the idea of an ethical imperative to help out in other to save lives. The Prime Directive was established because it's kind of hard to make that call on a civilization-wide scale, but the absolutism isn't particularly helpful or moral either.

It was easy to miss but I believe they mentioned in STD that the drought was specifically triggered by a federation industrial accident nearby, which was their handwave of the PD via a vis getting the water.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Straight up not gonna lie, im gonna watch the new Star Trek just to imrpove my enjoyment of ths re:view episode.

I actually went to see Dunkirk expecting a full episode about it... But Mike and Jay got me hard =/

ooooh noooooo, I haven't even watched these yet. Sigh. *opens netflix* The shit I do for hack frauds on the internet.
I feel ya.

Top Bottom