• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall is ceasing development. Players will be refunded

Draugoth

Gold Member
Update from IGN:
  • Arkane Austin was planning a big update to release later this month, the layoffs came as a shock to everyone
  • The May update would have included the ability to play the game offline
  • The two new heroes that were promised in the Hero Pass were planned to be launched on Halloween this year
https://www.ign.com/articles/arkane-austin-redfall-update-closure-xbox

GM-tAkIXwAABLJc

Last edited:
I don't know the sales numbers, but I would think half hearted reskinned hero creations would be cheaper, done by the remaining team that was doing something there, than refunding. But while a refund is at least fair and probably legally required, it still must leave a bad taste not only in the actual buyers of that edition, more so than at least getting some basic bland but sort of always cosmetics like hero update.

Saber

Gold Member
Redfall is the only game in history to be released as a dead game and now they gonna officially put a dead game out of its misery.
Would like to feel sad for this game and people who like it, but people were so damn stupid and stubborn that I honestly think they deserve that.

Last edited:

fatmarco

I mean, Redfall was bad to a degree that it made the studio seem unsalvageable. There was basically nothing about the game that redeemed it outside of maybe the shooting being fairly solid.

Everything else, from the art, the lore, the gameplay systems, the balance, the quest designs, the narrative, the graphics, and the performance were just so bad that, given just how much money was spent and how much time they had for any individual to do a good job within their respective area, that it seems this studio had no real potential going forward.

Tango on the other hand is a completely different story...

ButchCat

Imagine the pressure in Lyon knowing that the smallest misstep on Blade could mean that they will follow. It's sad to see how a beloved studio that tries to adapt to modern trends in order to pay the bills and continue making what they love i.e immersive sims but ultimately fails.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
They shut down Tango(Hi-fi Rush) and Alpha Dog(Mighty Doom Mobile) too. Multiple studios were gutted and shut down.

I wonder how Steam players are getting reimbursed.

Imagine the pressure in Lyon knowing that the smallest misstep on Blade could mean that they will follow. It's sad to see how a beloved studio that tries to adapt to modern trends in order to pay the bills so they can continue making what they love i.e immersive sims but then ultimately fail.
When you get the Marvel IP, you know your days are numbered. Very similar to EIDOS. Mega bomb with Deus Ex. Then you get a last chance with the most mainstream IP you can get. Bombs again. Then you get sold or closed.

Arkane Lyon already bombed with Deathloop so they're in stage 2.

ButchCat

When you get the Marvel IP, you know your days are numbered. Very similar to EIDOS. Mega bomb with Deus Ex. Then you get a last chance with the most mainstream IP you can get. Bombs again. Then you get sold or closed.

Arkane Lyon already bombed with Deathloop so they're in stage 2.
That would be the obvious answer yes but a part me also thinks all these recent releases have a GAAS model (DC IP too), so maybe just don't do GAAS?

I played the beginning of Redfall for the first time two days ago. Wanted to see for myself what it's like.
I actually thought the linear scripted beginning was not that bad.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It needed major polish, but wasn’t the worst game I played at launch in GP. Even if polished up, it’s still the most mediocre action exploration game ever.

I don’t know if true, but I remember articles saying arcane didn’t even want to make the game, or they started it and wanted to bail, but management said keep going to the end. Should had cut the cord.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This game looked stupid right from the first reveal. It should’ve been canned long before it even got revealed to the public.
Assuming it was a quality game, just the visuals and premise alone screamed 10 years ago anyway. It looks like something released at the end of 360 or beginning of Xbox one era.

Last edited:
Top Bottom