• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reflecting on why Hillary Clinton lost

phanphare

Banned
The idea of white identity really is a funny belief

that section of the michael moore post really was something else. can't believe how on the money he was.

The Last Stand of the Angry White Man. Our male-dominated, 240-year run of the USA is coming to an end. A woman is about to take over! How did this happen?! On our watch! There were warning signs, but we ignored them. Nixon, the gender traitor, imposing Title IX on us, the rule that said girls in school should get an equal chance at playing sports. Then they let them fly commercial jets. Before we knew it, Beyoncé stormed on the field at this year’s Super Bowl (our game!) with an army of Black Women, fists raised, declaring that our domination was hereby terminated! Oh, the humanity!

Estoc

So white women identified more with a braindead senile white man than an accomplished white woman?

Most people don't have the elite background of Clinton. By comparison, Trump seemed like a bumbling idiot that we all are, we all have said/done something we regret(though I doubt Trump regrets anything he did). You've just got to ignored the part about him inheriting a lot of money from his father, then he's just a average human, just like us, with our flaws and tendency to walk into woman's changing room, and grabbing kitties without consent, because that's what we do when we are famous.

At least that's how I take it when people say that "Trump is easily to connect to", Hillary is almost perfect, at least her image, that is just too common to see in politicians campaigning for presidency or otherwise. However, on the other side, we have a literal idiot that struggling to keep his image positive.

At the end, I blame the DNC for screwing my Bernie, that probably made quite a few people voted Trump just to spite them.

dottme

its really just comes down to the rust belt (and Florida i suppose). Hillary had the votes. They just weren't in the right place. She lost those working class whites and whites w/no degrees, groups that were essential to Obama's victories.

Trump capitalized on that with all his empty rhetoric (Coal is coming back guys! And guess what? It's clean too!!) They didn’t care that Trump never relayed an actual plan. They just liked that it sounded like Trump was on their side. (America first!) All of the other problems with Trump (misogyny, racism, etc you know the rest) could bite it because Trump was gonna bring the jobs!!!

Hillary also wanted to help job market and get workers better prepared for the future and also had policy to do so but that message was cluttered up by other message that the white working didn’t particularly care about (lgbt rights, mass incarceration, women's rights, anti-discrimination, environmental protection etc etc).

so by comparison, on the surface, it looked too many that Trump was the one to be trusted. because he wrapped himself up in an American flag and harped "jobs, jobs, jobs" "the Mexicans and the Chinese are taking them! No its not the white billionaires that are holding all the money. Not at all. And you can trust me because I'm one of them. the Clinton's are the bad rich people.

Trump (and the right wing media) portrayed Hillary as untrustworthy. and trustworthiness is a huuuuge deal for voters. and the Comey letter was the last bullet of that assault.
A lot of people on GAF should read this.

Steel

Banned
Well I mostly mean how he says things that just stick with people. From the "You're fired" from his stint on "The Apprentice" to the "lock her up," "make America great again," etc. His catch phrases (if you can call it that) makes him memorable and sticking out (for whatever reason) makes you a media darling. And he knew how to sell himself.

I kinda get what youn mean. The hilarious thing about that is that, by all accounts, the MAGA catchphrase was something invented by Bannon.

It's sad that both Al Gore and Hillary Clinton (both who would have been great Presidents with real goals and outlined plans) lost because they weren't cool enough. I guess we know now for sure that policy is no longer essential and isn't even really necessary. Doubly sad because they were chosen by the people instead of an antiquated and outdated system.

Policy is extremely important

Everything that comes out of Trump's mouth is a policy, however incoherent it is.

20 years ago Libertarians were just seen as selfish conservatives with an anti-governent bent.

Now they're a bonafide movement.

We gotta watch out for these folks, you give them an inch and they grow an empire.

that section of the michael moore post really was something else. can't believe how on the money he was.

Where did the whole white and black thing come from by the way?

Like people actually enjoy being called white lol. There are some people who've been triggered because I said I'd only call them Caucasians and I don't know why they're so invested in that idea of identity. Too much power to let go?

digdug2k

She wasn't well-liked, which made her a terrible candidate to prop up against another terrible candidate. Anecdotally, everyone I knew who voted for her specifically would say things like, "Lesser of two evils" or "Anything but Trump". I know two friends-of-friends that were true Clinton believers and post election, one remains a true-believer and constantly blames "Bernie-bros" for her loss, the other has flipped, and thinks that Bernie would have won.
I sorta think the DNC is in a hard spot with this. They want to court the young, millennial, super-liberal vote, but those kids just weren't the type to get on the bandwagon and cheer for someone. So instead they wound up with a bunch of kids running around online sharing this "well, she's not my first choice, but I guess I'll vote for her" which is just a fucking losing campaign.

But the DNC just did a really fucking awful job marketing. They always do.
Most people don't have the elite background of Clinton
Hillary was born to an upper middle class family in Chicago. I think you'd be hard pressed to call her background "elite".

Basically the Comey Letter, losing the white working class votes, the undecided switched at the last minute to Trump, people normally chose people they identify with rather than policy. The polls didn't really get it wrong, it was within margin of error, it was just that all the polls had Clinton ahead but trump was still a possibility. It went from 6-1 to 3-1.

That's his conclusion? Hah, no. Those are all secondary factors.

The better explanation is that most voters are low information voters and make their decisions based upon what their peers are doing, the candidates' physical appearance, and perhaps a wedge issue or two. Seriously, studies have shown that candidates with angular looking faces poll better than those with rounder looking faces.

Hillary lost for the same reason as Al Gore. They're both policy wonks who look phony when they try to do retail politics. Sounds superficial, but that's really how many voters look at it. Clinton, Dubya, and Obama, OTOH, look like the proverbial "guy you'd want to get a beer with".

Who wants to get a beer with Bob Dole or John Kerry? That's why Hillary lost.

He did. The US media is complicit in Trump's election. I think a lot of Americans have forgotten that because Trump has been bashing them. Like, I have a hard time feeling sympathy for CNN or even MSNBC. Ya'll thought it was so great to air Trump 24/7 for ratings.

CBS is trash, that company is terrible.

Crazy to see how spot-on the dude was.

And I do remember how utterly dissected and ridiculed that blog post was here on GAF. Everyone here was in the bubble.

Not me lol.
I think I would have gotten a lashing if I could have said anything tho, given the climate here at the time

I sorta think the DNC is in a hard spot with this. They want to court the young, millennial, super-liberal vote, but those kids just weren't the type to get on the bandwagon and cheer for someone. So instead they wound up with a bunch of kids running around online sharing this "well, she's not my first choice, but I guess I'll vote for her" which is just a fucking losing campaign.

But the DNC just did a really fucking awful job marketing. They always do.

Hillary was born to an upper middle class family in Chicago. I think you'd be hard pressed to call her background "elite".

That's elite to a lot of us in the working class man.

Pretty scary how Michael Moore literally predicted all this.

I mean, it was pretty obvious to anyone who wasnt in the Pro-Clinton Camp at the time.
You actually talked to people who werent hardline democrats and it became even clearer.

At the time it was really hard to get my parents to vote for Bernie in the Primary because the whole Bernie-Bro rhetoric the media was running with really made him seem unelectable to people who were the base of the democratic party. I was wiling to push him because he had the number

And no matter how you slice it, Black folks arent the majority of this country, we know this ourselves. Alot of people weren't even going to push Obama if he hadnt shown he could court the majority during his time. Speaking of which, what Ms Clinton and her supporters did during the primaries of 2008 really was unforgivable. Sad to see those same peope tanked the chances for the party moving forward in 2016. I hate PUMAs.

That's his conclusion? Hah, no. Those are all secondary factors.

The better explanation is that most voters are low information voters and make their decisions based upon what their peers are doing, the candidates' physical appearance, and perhaps a wedge issue or two. Seriously, studies have shown that candidates with angular looking faces poll better than those with rounder looking faces.

Hillary lost for the same reason as Al Gore. They're both policy wonks who look phony when they try to do retail politics. Sounds superficial, but that's really how many voters look at it. Clinton, Dubya, and Obama, OTOH, look like the proverbial "guy you'd want to get a beer with".

Who wants to get a beer with Bob Dole or John Kerry? That's why Hillary lost.

I still can't see what is likeable about Trump and why would I have a beer with him. All other presidents? hell yeah. But I honestly don't see what is charismatic about Trump, he looks more phony to me than Hillary. But that's just me

I still can't see what is likeable about Trump and why would I have a beer with him. All other presidents? hell yeah. But I honestly don't see what is charismatic about Trump, he looks more phony to me than Hillary. But that's just me

He's what the average american wants to be.

A complete and total know nothing, lazy douchebag who somehow gets wealthy when he's banging hookers. An unreliable person who's never held accountable for anything they do

Just look at the Jeff Bezos thread for the deets lmao.

Dude Abides

Banned
Frankly, the EC works exactly as it was meant to. The whole concept here is that people in Urban areas (major population centers) can't and won't have the same issues as people in rural areas. There needs to be a way to weight votes so that rural areas have equal representation in government.

The reason EC doesn't seem to make sense is that we literally only use it for presidential elections. So we only interact with it every 4 years. Less exposure leads to less understanding. The foundational concept is there, even if the application seems flawed.

The reason it doesn't make sense is because there's no good reason that people in low population states should be overrepresented (not equal representation as you erroneously assert) relative to people in high population states.

digdug2k

Frankly, the EC works exactly as it was meant to. The whole concept here is that people in Urban areas (major population centers) can't and won't have the same issues as people in rural areas. There needs to be a way to weight votes so that rural areas have equal representation in government.

The reason EC doesn't seem to make sense is that we literally only use it for presidential elections. So we only interact with it every 4 years. Less exposure leads to less understanding. The foundational concept is there, even if the application seems flawed.
Except the entire point of the US Senate is also to give those rural voters a voice. And the house is gerrymandered to high hell to also give them extra voice at this point. There's really no need to give them even more say in what the president also does.

But even if we did need to, the point of the EC was to try and find candidates who could appeal to everyone (which is a dumb, impossible goal in and of itself). Instead we've still just got candidates that only appeal to rural areas and candidates that only appeal to urban ones. If we really wanted to force the president to have near universal appeal, we'd do better to just force some "You must win that majority/60% of the vote to win" condition (and then we'd basically just be giving up on the office, which frankly, might be a better idea as well).

I know Hillary made her mistakes but that Comey Letter timing was seriously uncalled for. Trump also got all the free publicity in the world.

Hopefully Comey will get his due for interfering with the election, too. Sure he was investigating Trump, but he was basically doing the same thing. He needs to go down as well.

Kabouter

"He's just like us" I could retire if I got a dollar everytime I heard that IRL

While that's ridiculous in some senses (being born into wealth et al), it's not wholly ridiculous. Trump might be economically as far apart from the typical American as can be, in terms of his sensibilities he has far more in common with the typical American than people generally care to admit. This is a president who gets his information in the same way that many of his voters do (TV), who speaks in simple language, who takes complex issues and presents them as simple, who has what would often be called an unrefined taste in art and so on and so forth.

Ironic that a video from Fareed Zakaria, a well documented repeat plagiarist, is no longer available "on copyright grounds".

Lmao.

MetalGearZed said:
Trump (and the right wing media) portrayed Hillary as untrustworthy. and trustworthiness is a huuuuge deal for voters. and the Comey letter was the last bullet of that assault.

There were probably 3 big reasons Hillary lost that didn't revolve around partisanship and sexism.

#1 reason is that major critiques levied against her i.e. electoral strategy, her political record, donations, and so on were dismissed as claims without merit. Reality was legitimate criticisms.

#2 was that she boxed herself in trying to talk up the good of the status quo/establishment/Obama legacy while dismissing and understating problems other candidates were raising. She was a staunch defender of the system and existing law yet also a real change candidate who knows how to get things done. In other words, everything is good and I can fix everything that's wrong. A total mess.

If things were as fantastic as she and her team of surrogates suggested, then candidates like Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders wouldn't have been able to gain traction.

Finally #3 is that the overall story that she tried to peddle about her candidacy was phony. The idea that folks like Hillary Clinton and those in her orbit are going to go out of their way to make your life better is such an obvious lie. They're in all likelihood going to enrich themselves and ruin your life by way of their ideology instead.

Hillary Clinton and her team represented credentialed intellectuals who offer an opinion on a major issue, get it spectacularly dead wrong then pretend like it never happened. This group (of mostly affluent whites) admire and schmooze with the worst in business rather than the folks trying to do the right thing in an environment where bad ethics drives out those doing good. They fail their way up. They suggest there's no alternative other than what they think.

Look at America over the last 40 years or so. It's truly sad stuff and the results speak for themselves. There's no way the people who rigged the system and couldn't care less about you are going to get you to where you want to be. They're only in it to enrich themselves and keep things the way they are. That's why folks like Trump and Sanders had to come along and turn over the apple cart in order to make America great again.

They both had record high unfavorable ratings for major party candidates. My guess would be that voters held their nose and picked the candidate that seemed more authentic, that is the guy who has no filter on any thought that crops up into his head.

BreakAtmo

The reason it doesn't make sense is because there's no good reason that people in low population states should be overrepresented (not equal representation as you erroneously assert) relative to people in high population states.

This. I wonder if all the people who are so OK with certain people having more voting power than others based on geography would also be OK with non-white people, gay people or trans people getting multiple votes to 'make up for' their minority status? Once you decide a certain group of people deserve extra voting power because reasons, where should it end?

mlclmtckr

Banned
While that's ridiculous in some senses (being born into wealth et al), it's not wholly ridiculous. Trump might be economically as far apart from the typical American as can be, in terms of his sensibilities he has far more in common with the typical American than people generally care to admit. This is a president who gets his information in the same way that many of his voters do (TV), who speaks in simple language, who takes complex issues and presents them as simple, who has what would often be called an unrefined taste in art and so on and so forth.

Yep. He's rich but not classy, famous but not talented, powerful but not smart. He's a thumb in the eye of every 'elite' who said he couldn't win.

People saw themselves in him. That's the saddest and most fucked up thing.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Hillary just is not a campaigner. She does not know how, or chooses not to, put serious effort and energy into rallying her cause. She made the same mistake when she went up against Obama.

Piecake

A successful politician proposes simple solutions to complex problems in a charismatic and inspirational way that can emotionally connect with the voters.

Hilary didn't do that.

If there's one absolute takeaway from 2016 election for me, it's that US presidential election is a pageantry. It does not matter if you have books on policies, decades worth of experience, or an answer to every single question in a debate. What matters is your ability to "connect" to voters. Everything else is just gravy.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Hillary just is not a campaigner. She does not know how, or chooses not to, put serious effort and energy into rallying her cause. She made the same mistake when she went up against Obama.

it's more that she hires bad strategists

Mook is way more of a fuckup than Hillary herself will ever be

Justin Bailey

------ ------
it's more that she hires bad strategists

Mook is way more of a fuckup than Hillary herself will ever be

Yeah, definitely bad strategy. But it's almost like she focuses too much on that. She should have focused on herself and working on her own persona on the campaign. She was trying to use clever strategies to win, when what she really needed to do was figure out how to get people to listen to and believe in her.

Monocle

The One and Done™;245734494 said:
She lostb because she ran. She will NEVER be President no matter how much she wants it. She's unelectable
So unelectable that she won the popular vote by nearly 3 million despite Russian interference and Comey's horseshit, lol.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Hopefully Comey will get his due for interfering with the election, too. Sure he was investigating Trump, but he was basically doing the same thing. He needs to go down as well.
To be fair the release of the access Hollywood tape (which was years old and could be released any time) was an October surprise as well. They were both saving bombshells for late in the campaign.

Mahadev

So unelectable that she won the popular vote by nearly 3 million despite Russian interference and Comey's horseshit, lol.

Yeah, she only had the entire status quo supporting her afterall, from corporate media to celebrities and internet giants. How could she win under these terrible conditions, how?

rudger

Yeah, she only had the entire status quo supporting her afterall, from corporate media to celebrities and internet giants. How could she win under these terrible conditions, how?

The media was in support of Trump. Their words were for Hillary, but all of their actions promoted Trump. Same with the internet giants (though that seemed more due to carelessness than any ratings obsession).

...she is also just an awful candidate. She's been running for years and I still couldn't tell you what she really stands for. What issues she believes so strongly in that I can't help but associate her with. As full of shit as Trump is, I can still point to his absurd policy proposals (the wall, for instance) - same with Bernie (the 1%!).

If there's one absolute takeaway from 2016 election for me, it's that US presidential election is a pageantry. It does not matter if you have books on policies, decades worth of experience, or an answer to every single question in a debate. What matters is your ability to "connect" to voters. Everything else is just gravy.
We've known this since JFK. This was true with Carter. This was true with Gore. This was true with Obama.

You guys need to stop coddling the mythical white working class that Clinton supposedly lost.

No Democrat has won the White vote going back to 1976, and I'm sure it extends further to at least 1968.

ropercenter.cornell.edu/polls/us-elections/how-groups-voted/how-groups-voted-1992/

Trump won every possible permutation of white voters with the exception of white LGBT and college educated white women. In that respect, he's no different from Romney, McCain, Bush Jr., Dole, Bush Sr or Reagan.

You know how Democrats win elections? By mobilizing their base - people of colour. Obama won in 2008 and 2012 despite garnering only 40% of the white vote. Democratic voters vote Democrat or not at all. If you're able to get the Not At All people to get out and vote, you should win every election.

Republicans vote Republicans and only for Republicans. Trump's victory is not special in any respect except for that it definitively proves that the Republicans will literally vote for anyone as long as they are Republicans.

Top Bottom