• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie in WSJ: EA's Boogie is "quite provocative"

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
chriskzoo said:
Not sure if I understand your Engrish
Short version: the word "snowjob" probably doesn't mean what you think it does.
chriskzoo said:
but we've all discussed it before - people want what they can't have. Nintendo has done a great job of hitting the supply/demand curve just right, erring on the side of undersupply. Whether that is a true manufacturing problem (which I think it was at the beginning) or just smart marketing (which I think it is at this point), it's the same outcome.
and you're as delusional and as stupid as the previous times gaf tried to educate you.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Meier said:
Damn, that's some serious smack talk. I wish I had the "Not my problem" image archived. :lol
6b1zi3q.jpg

taconinja

Yixian said:
Ugh, jesus, I'm getting sick of these professional trolls from MS and Nintendo. I know Sony would be doing exactly the same if they were in their place, but they're not, so here's a big middle finger to those who are.

Nintendo isn't as guilty of it a MS though - Kaplan seems more interested in trolling pre-Wii Nintendo fans than anybody else, but there's not a day that goes by without some useless tosser from Microsoft giving his worthless opinion on why he prefers the console of the company that pays his wages over it's competitor.
I think it's safe to say that Sony participates as well. Did you miss Karraker's "real gamers" interview? I'm sure others can point out instances where all three players have people going after the other companies. Heck, it's part of a PR person's job to do that.

pswii60

I know GAF hates it, but I like all this fighting talk, it's just like the old Genesis vs SNES days.

Now I want Peter and Phil to do an interview and bash Reggie and each other respectively.

koam

Yixian said:
Ugh, jesus, I'm getting sick of these professional trolls from MS and Nintendo. I know Sony would be doing exactly the same if they were in their place, but they're not, so here's a big middle finger to those who are.

Nintendo isn't as guilty of it a MS though - Kaplan seems more interested in trolling pre-Wii Nintendo fans than anybody else, but there's not a day that goes by without some useless tosser from Microsoft giving his worthless opinion on why he prefers the console of the company that pays his wages over it's competitor.

Do you not remember Sony's commercials back in the 1990s? "Who's laughing now plumber boy"

btw

chriskzoo said:
The Wii shortage snowjob continues - and is probably one of the most brilliant marketing strategies any company has ever done. The moment that we start to see units on the floor at every retailer we walk into is the day the Wii market levels off.

i109737_chart.jpg

Shut up.

Hagi23 said:
Reggie's finally able to troll after 10 years :lol

Reggie's only been with the company for three years.

chriskzoo said:
If they are able to push the console market to 200 million units, they truely have carved out a new niche.

Quite a big new niche' might I add considering the size of a 50 million difference on a graph.

GhaleonQ

I was surprised when I picked up that edition, since the Wall Street Journal usually does amazing interviews, in whatever format they publish them.

Mrbob

AdmiralViscen said:
btw

i109737_chart.jpg

Shut up.

Add Europe and Nintendo is probably clearing near a million units SOLD per month.

Waggle future confirmed.

The Wii fad will start fading in 2011 when Nintendo releases their successor.

Just like DVD is good enough for most people, I have a feeling Wii graphics will be "good enough" 4 to 5 years from now. Then people will want HD as it'll be mass penetration by then.

Deku

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
EA is going to market the **** out of Boogie

That's my concern actually. To borrow Harrison-speak, it's not in their DNA. The music genre is new to them, there's a chance they'll screw it up. Either the game sucks or they forget to market is properly.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait till 5 years from now.

Reggie: You know, sonys content was future proofed, which is why our new system is on spec with the playstation 3 and slightly cheaper!..... If I can just direct your attention to this new innovative controller for a second.....

Deku

Banned
catfish said:
I can't wait till 5 years from now.

Reggie: You know, sonys content was future proofed, which is why our new system is on spec with the playstation 3 and slightly cheaper!..... If I can just direct your attention to this new innovative controller for a second.....

$250 Nintendo PS3 in 2011? Sold.

Terrell

Jamesfrom818 said:
Post it at ps3forums and see what they say.
I'd rather not set foot in ps3forums, I treasure the last vestiges of my sanity far too much. Besides, depending on the thread, GAF gives me all the glimpse of ps3forums I need. :D

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
AdmiralViscen said:
btw

i109737_chart.jpg

Shut up.

Think a lot of this has to do with Sony pushing a lot of it's own heavy hitters back to early Fall, and a lot of 3rd party games pushing themselves back too, JUST because Sony did it.

I'm sure a lot of games could have been released by now but they wanted to make sure some polish was put on them, unlike FEAR. If you remember what the PS3 devs were saying about release dates back at E306, they were saying Heavenly Sword "might not make it by the end of 2006" and several others were supposed to come out earlier.

I think I can safely say though, that the long string of game delays will die with the year. As more games come in the sales of the PS3 should increase with. Along with the fact that people spend more money in the fall, more people will be able to afford the PS3 this fall. I expect the PS3 sales to increase expontentially. Things are looking up!

Seriously if you want to know more about this you should read The Origin of Wealth: Evolution, Complexity, and the Radical Remaking of Economics by Eric Beinhocker

grandjedi6 said:
Think a lot of this has to do with Sony pushing a lot of it's own heavy hitters back to early Fall, and a lot of 3rd party games pushing themselves back too, JUST because Sony did it.

I'm sure a lot of games could have been released by now but they wanted to make sure some polish was put on them, unlike FEAR. If you remember what the PS3 devs were saying about release dates back at E306, they were saying Heavenly Sword "might not make it by the end of 2006" and several others were supposed to come out earlier.

I think I can safely say though, that the long string of game delays will die with the year. As more games come in the sales of the PS3 should increase with. Along with the fact that people spend more money in the fall, more people will be able to afford the PS3 this fall. I expect the PS3 sales to increase expontentially. Things are looking up!

Seriously if you want to know more about this you should read The Origin of Wealth: Evolution, Complexity, and the Radical Remaking of Economics by Eric Beinhocker

but on the other hand, the PS3 had the opportunity to smash the Wii's reletively poor spring line-up with the likes of Heavenly Sword; now they'll be directly competing with Smash Bros, Mario Galaxy and (for what it's worth) Metroid, as well as Halo 3 over on the xbox front. I'm just saying, it's going to get a lot more complex for the PS3 than it would have been in the spring.

Mrbob

grandjedi6 said:

If we ever meet up, I'm going to punch you for that false link. :D

Everything is getting Rockroll'd. Better check it before clicking!

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Reggie said:
From our perspective, this industry is about entertainment and it's about driving a consumer interface and engagement with content. That's why people want to play games. From that standpoint, our strategy is certainly working and we believe it's going to work into the future. What that future is going to look like and what's the content -- stay tuned.

Show us the ****ing content for God's sake! We want to know!

LCGeek

formerly sane
tanasten said:
Show us the ****ing content for God's sake! We want to know!

No point, nintendo is handing their competitors their doom with a lineup that is largely lackluster in some regards, when competitors can force nintendo to show their hands they will no reason to break the mold just because we have need to know.

andthebeatgoeson

chriskzoo said:
Not sure if I understand your Engrish, but we've all discussed it before - people want what they can't have. Nintendo has done a great job of hitting the supply/demand curve just right, erring on the side of undersupply. Whether that is a true manufacturing problem (which I think it was at the beginning) or just smart marketing (which I think it is at this point), it's the same outcome.

You'll ignore it for sure but it never hurts to drop this fact on people. No console or handheld has ever produced NOR sold 6 million pieces of hardware in their 1st 6 months. Except Wii. It's hard to call that undersupply. What does undersupply mean? I guess any manufacturer could build 6 million units if they had enough manufacturing plants. Sony is not immune. Neither is Microsoft. But they haven't nor come close. It all comes down to context. You can claim that the Wii is easy to produce. But that still doesn't explain the market supply and demand. Gauging from all other recent competitors, the Wii has outpaced each and every one of them.

And that ignores that Nintendo also managed to sell that many. The gap grows bigger if you count up how many consoles have sold in their 1st six months. No where close to 6 million in the 1st six months. I'm repeating that because it's a simple fact. Demand for the Wii is outpacing all other consoles, present and past. Supply is outpacing all other consoles, present and past. Numbers don't mean a thing w/o context. Undersupply doesn't mean a thing w/o context.

Deku said:
That's my concern actually. To borrow Harrison-speak, it's not in their DNA. The music genre is new to them, there's a chance they'll screw it up. Either the game sucks or they forget to market is properly.
Well they can easily screw up the dancing part but it'll be hard even for EA to screw up the singing part. They have some neat ideas already. They ability to control the volume of the vocal playback is great and is missed in Singstar (where you can only control the overall volume, music and vocals).

chriskzoo said:
The Wii shortage snowjob continues - and is probably one of the most brilliant marketing strategies any company has ever done. The moment that we start to see units on the floor at every retailer we walk into is the day the Wii market levels off.

I agree - most likely at about 450K/month.

Mrbob

The scary thing is the Wii is still $249.99, which isn't exactly cheap.

Can you imagine if sales start accellerating when the systems hits $199.99 or $149.99? I also think Wiisports will be a pack in always, as it is the main system seller.

Kafel

Banned
Deku said:

At the moment it sucks. It's what I've read everywhere. Not really a game, not as enjoyable as it should be.

EA has clearly a wannabe hit in their hands, they really should take care of it.

Mudhoney

Mrbob said:

Can you imagine if sales start accellerating when the systems hits $199.99 or $149.99? I also think Wiisports will be a pack in always, as it is the main system seller.
Or else they might allow the buyer to choose between several starter games (Wii Health, Wii Sports, Wii Music, etc.).

As for Boogie, I really hope EA can make it a good game. The fact that so many things can go wrong with the implementation of voice and motion control interfaces scares me since this seems to be a new area for EA. If they nail it though, and with a little marketing help, I think this game could be very nice from a gameplay and a sales perspective.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Some surprisingly great answers in that interview. Actually, the whole interview was surprisingly solid.

Eteric Rice

Mrbob said:

And what happens when the Wii's other system sellers come out...

Destruction!

Mejilan said:
Some surprisingly great answers in that interview. Actually, the whole interview was surprisingly solid.

Whenever the WSJ has tackled gaming subjects seriously, they usually remind people how horrible video game "journalism" actually is.

Top Bottom