• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie on CNN: "3rd-party games like CoD look dramatically better on our system"

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I agree with your first statement but fuck off on your second.

While I'm not deeply offended, can people please carry themselves a little more adult like here. No need to use that wording and just throw it around.

It gets annoying in any thread and just infuses discussion with unnecessary anger/tension.

xandaca

According to Digital Foundry, the game looks better than the PS3 version and has none of the screen tearing of either other console, but runs at a significantly lower framerate (in single player). So maybe it looks slightly better, but certainly doesn't run better.

NewFresh

According to Digital Foundry, the game looks better than the PS3 version and has none of the screen tearing of either other console, but runs at a significantly lower framerate (in single player). So maybe it looks slightly better, but certainly doesn't run better.

Don't try to help him.

Except he is, you know, straight up lying to the interviewer's face.
Dramatically so.

Even if we agree on that, given that it doesn't look better at all (not even a tiny bit) than the 360 version that would still be a lie.

No, he could point to the fact that it's also rendering on another screen, thus being "dramatically" better allready.

It's bullshit, but it's not a lie.

It's PR. To expect a good interview with a high up PR person is kind of naive.

There's a reason why people value Yoshida doing interviews, or Iwata. Both aren't in PR and actually have any interest to answer questions.

Amazing how a CNN reporter actually makes the real important questions that gaming "journalists" don't have the balls to.

Well maybe because from an outsider perspective they don't give a shit about gaming companies no longer sending them free Doritos and Games.

Pooya

Sounds like Nintendo really expected the ports to be better on Wii U, it was kind of apparent with Batman showing at E3 too. That obviously hasn't happened, maybe they overestimated their own hardware a bit.

edit: 1-2 percent tearing isn't really worth mentioning on COD ps360, no one can see that really.

Oppo

Fun hyperbole.

The Wii U online system is unfathomably bad. The audio output options are incomprehensibly limited. The controller is a brobdingnagian nightmare.

There's a place down the street that claims to have the galaxy's best burgers. I don't really hold it against them. But somehow it feels worse, more (lets say) egregious, when this sort of thing happens in person, in interview.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Because dramatically is a subjective category.

There is really no metric by which it looks better than the 360 version. Our human FRAPS machine even has evidence of a more aggressive LoD system. That's just referring to CoD, too.

I think it's pretty insulting that this would be considered anything beyond a lie.

Amir0x

Banned
No, he could point to the fact that it's also rendering on another screen, thus being "dramatically" better allready.

There's a reason why people value Yoshida doing interviews, or Iwata. Both aren't in PR and actually have any interest to answer questions.

man the parsing here is pretty good.

But I think it would have been hilarious if he said "Call of Duty looks dramatically better on our controller than the competitors controller!"

Ashes

Banned
Did she just really say:

Along with the new console, it's got a new controller. It's called the gamepad.

Wow. Gamepad. Really. Thank you for the name.

miksar

Sounds like Nintendo really expected the ports to be better on Wii U, it was kind of apparent with Batman showing on E3 too. That obviously hasn't happened, maybe they overestimated their own hardware a bit.
They should've shown at least one graphically advanced game built specifically for the system instead of preemptively announcing the likes of SSB and Bayonetta. When they were showing off Wii they had Super Mario Galaxy and it looked fabulous even with 360 already out.

Boney

Banned
reggie_not_my_prbds1.jpg
perfect lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There is really no metric by which it looks better than the 360 version. Our human FRAPS machine even has evidence of a more aggressive LoD system. That's just referring to CoD, too.

I think it's pretty insulting that this would be considered anything beyond a lie.

Digital foundry said it had none of the tearing of the other console versions and was otherwise on par with 360 - same resolution, same AA

Sounds like 'looks better', if not dramatically and only as long as you're in area where the framerate doesn't suffer.

DarkWish

Everyone is talking about Reggie's comments... but I'm impressed by CNN. Those were some good questions and they even introduced the system correctly.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Digital foundry said it had none of the tearing of the other console versions and was otherwise on par with 360 - same resolution, same AA

Sounds like 'looks better', if not dramatically and only as long as you're in area where the framerate doesn't suffer.

Tearing is part of performance, and if we're going to talk about tearing, we should talk about how it runs about half as fast in places.

And digital foundry doesn't comment on every aspect of a game's visual presentation.

Skyzard

Banned
Also it is a lie, it's not a dramatic difference with CoD, that's not subjective. If you think the visual difference is striking then you might want to get checked. (check that eurogamer link)

Everyone is talking about Reggie's comments... but I'm impressed by CNN. Those were some good questions and they even introduced the system correctly.

It was a good video and decent questions...wouldn't expect that calibre of the normal CNN tbh but CNN Hong Kong?, nice.

Takao

Banned
Did she just really say:

Along with the new console, it's got a new controller. It's called the gamepad.

Wow. Gamepad. Really. Thank you for the name.

You mock her, but in a Nintendo Direct Iwata said the exact same thing. "The Wii U controller is called the Game Pad". Well jeeze, thanks.

Part of CoD's looks is its framerate. The game runs incredibly smooth due to its high framerate. BO2 on the Wii U has be clocked at hitting sub-30fps.

Also, the tearing is extremely minimal. The 360 version only has 1% screen tearing. So you'd have to be extremely sensitive to it in order to notice it, or you'd just have to be looking for it specifically while playing.

Wow best interview ive seen for ages, puts to shame the so called gaming press she asked some hard hitting questions.
Who would have thought CNN would ask better interview questions that most of the so-called "gaming press"?
Amazing how a CNN reporter actually makes the real important questions that gaming "journalists" don't have the balls to.

This was the first thing I noticed about the interview. What an incredible job. She even fucking used "on par" and basically asked all of the questions we've wanted to ask. Gametrailers, IGN, Gamespot, whatever else are a joke compared to this, a random CNN interview. I'm really surprised.

About the interview: Tell me again why so many people have this dude's face in their avatar? He's a snake oil salesmen. He's a liar. He's a spinner. He's like the ultimate Nintendo fanboy, super saiyan lvl 99 Goku. Compare this guy to Tretton or Peter Moore when he was head of MS.

They should've shown at least one graphically advanced game built specifically for the system instead of preemptively announcing the likes of SSB and Bayonetta. When they were showing off Wii they had Super Mario Galaxy and it looked fabulous even with 360 already out.

Yes, I can understand the thoughts behind their hiding strategy to some degree, but when you're about to launch a brand new system it would actually help to throw things like that out there and hype it up quite a bit, even if it doesn't come out in the next 6 months.
It's actually quite baffling that they spend time with two tech demos showing off graphical abilities last year and yet no game in the same vein followed.

Haunted

Who would have thought CNN would ask better interview questions that most of the so-called "gaming press"?
It's almost like CNN's livelihood not depending on good advertisement relations with the people/companies they're covering has an influence on the quality of their coverage!

Gaming enthusiast press interviewing industry figures is like Fox News interviewing republicans.

Amir0x

Banned
You mock her, but in a Nintendo Direct Iwata said the exact same thing. "The Wii U controller is called the Game Pad". Well jeeze, thanks.

I think Iwata might sometime even open by explaining to people how to tie their shoes if it was relevant. All the Nintendo Direct videos have the air of trying to explain something to someone who is mentally handicapped...

Chindogg said:
PR guy saying PR bullshit and GAF gets mad at this? Oh right, "lolnintendo."

haha persecution complex. I been around here a long time, Chindogg. Guess what? neoGAF makes threads about the bullshit PR comments of ALL the console manufacturers (remember the Microsoft bs about the red rings? or Sony's bs about finding PS3 consoles on store shelves? Maybe you don't because you have a persecution complex!).

Stop acting like Nintendo fans are suffering such trials and tribulations.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Well, Iwata announced an english pronounced product to the japanese audience. It makes sense to say "これが呼び出され Gamepad-o!". In english that sentence doesnt really make too much sense as its the name for every similar device anyway.

even if COD looks on par with the other consoles, he said 3rd party games meaning all 3rd party games. None of the other 3rd party games could be considered to look even on par.

Oemenia

Banned
About the interview: Tell me again why so many people have this dude's face in their avatar? He's a snake oil salesmen. He's a liar. He's a spinner. He's like the ultimate Nintendo fanboy, super saiyan lvl 99 Goku. Compare this guy to Tretton or Peter Moore when he was head of MS.
He reminded us all how hardcore Nintendo was when casuals were getting ready to play GTA San Andreas back in 04.

Edit: Also Kristi Lu Stout is lovely!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

What are you trying to elude to here? He is lying. It's factual. Black Ops 2 IS WORSE on WiiU.

And I wouldn't compare Reggie to even Yoshida. Reggie is more of a PR tool than any of the other 2 you listed. But I can't say I don't expect anything else from a company employee :p

They have to tout the HW but lying outright doesn't sit right with the more informed gamer of today.

This was the first thing I noticed about the interview. What an incredible job. She even fucking used "on par" and basically asked all of the questions we've wanted to ask. Gametrailers, IGN, Gamespot, whatever else are a joke compared to this, a random CNN interview. I'm really surprised.
CNN have professional journalists, they do research, they check different points of views and ask the questions that should be asked. Most gaming sites don't have the training and knowledge to do that.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Will Reggie ever admit Nintendo does shit wrong? This guy is too passionately delusional with his job, or his persona is at least.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This is the reason why Reggie is a poor fit for Nintendo right now, and is a jarring contrast against Iwata.

Has Iwata, seriously, ever said anything that's a bald faced lie, or is purely empty hyperbole? (Note: Iwata being merely optimistic doesn't count. I'm talking outrageous lies and misdirection.)

Even if he's said something questionable in the past, it's nothing like Reggie's marketing attitude. Iwata = down to Earth and outright admits when they've made an error in judgement. Reggie = forward unto dawn all guns blazing throwing grenades even if everyone is on fire and has their legs blown off at the kneecaps.

His style of mindless confidence and aggressive promotion was appropriate during the heyday of the Wii. Nintendo had to take advantage of their sudden success with the mainstream market and being a household name with Americans once more. Reggie is a big beefy American guy who looks the part.

These days, Reggie is an ill fit because he looks insincere and deceptive to the tech and geek crowd that Nintendo is once again diverting a significant amount of attention to.

As for the CNN interview: that's what you get when the journalist isn't afraid of going off-script and getting their publication banned from attending events and securing interviews by Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and big game publishers.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Will Reggie ever admit Nintendo does shit wrong? This guy is too passionately delusional with his job, or his persona is at least.

He cant.

Dicer

Banned
If CNN didn't come at him like the fanboy/trolls on GAF and elsewhere, he might have worded things a bit differently...just maybe.

All those talking points came straight from forum posts.

Top Bottom