• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie on CNN: "3rd-party games like CoD look dramatically better on our system"

miksar

Not to defend his blatantly untrue quote, but it's his job to spin and lie, so why are people acting surprised and angry when he's doing his job?
It's several things. First, Nintendo still didn't convince anyone that it will have decent 3rd party support on par with other consoles. Second, Nintendo didn't address how 3rd parties are supposed to be on board when Orbis and Durango come out. Third, they are confused that while the system should be more powerful than PS360 most developers have hard time even making versions that are on par, and no evidence so far was shown that will see the games that look as good as Uncharted on it, for example. And only fourth, it is Nintendo haters who will visit every thread about Wii U to "loltendo", etc.

Nintendo plans comeback with Wii U

this is just as bad as his lie

what comeback?

In North America at least, Nintendo has been in 3rd place in monthly console sales since about March 2011, and hasn't been consistently #1 since May 2010.

So if the Wii U comes flying out of the gate, it would be a "comeback" of sorts to their sales in the 2007-2009 period.

For CNN and for the standards of this (game) industry, I don't see how the interview was terrible. She is asking about timing, correlations, competition with tablets in the market, getting families in the living room, etc.

Hell, she didn't even have Doritos or Mountain Dew in her hands.

A lot of people claim the Wii U version does look better. So better just stop with the overly dramatic 'Oh Reggie you LIAR!!'
This is true. I separate "running better" from "looking better" though they very well could be linked together. But purely based on visuals, Black Ops 2 for the Wii U looks slightly but noticeably better than the other versions. Weird that some are noting his gross hyperbole, he'd fit right in here with them.

Zuly

If CNN didn't come at him like the fanboy/trolls on GAF and elsewhere, he might have worded things a bit differently...just maybe.

All those talking points came straight from forum posts.
No, the interviewer did a great job. Unlike so called "gaming journalists" that spoon feed the gaming industry.

Skyzard

Banned
You should play it cause in multiplayer it looks better. Hands down.

I can't but I checked the eurogamer face-off link for details on mulitplayer..:

There is some good news, however. In terms of rendering, the multiplayer component of the game poses far fewer challenges than the campaign, meaning that you get an experience that is very, very close to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game. You just need to bear in mind that the Wii U's online community is pretty sparse at the moment, and that COD may not be its focus. To put things into perspective, during our online testing there were 321,502 concurrent players online with the PlayStation 3 version of the game. Curiously, that beat out the Xbox 360 version, which clocked in at 282,683. The Wii U version could only boast 452 players. Now granted, the Wii U has only just been released in the US and the timezone difference would factor into that. While we would expect that number to grow significantly once the system is out in Europe, it's safe to say that the community isn't really there yet. This may not necessarily be a bad thing - it may even give those with little COD experience an easier ride as they get to know the game, but it does mean that there's a ghost-town feel to some of the modes.

madmackem

even if COD looks on par with the other consoles, he said 3rd party games meaning all 3rd party games. None of the other 3rd party games could be considered to look even on par.

Nearly as bad as him, ac3 looks the same, me3 doesnt look much different at all.

What are you trying to elude to here? He is lying. It's factual. Black Ops 2 IS WORSE on WiiU.

And I wouldn't compare Reggie to even Yoshida. Reggie is more of a PR tool than any of the other 2 you listed. But I can't say I don't expect anything else from a company employee :p

They have to tout the HW but lying outright doesn't sit right with the more informed gamer of today.

Do you lack the capacity to understand those funny little specks on your screen that I've typed in on my keyboard or what?

I said that Yoshida and Iwata are better persons to interview because they aren't in PR. They actually want to answer questions instead of selling a corporate image.
Interviewing any PR speaksperson is about as usefull as just repost the pamphlet and press releases. It adds a "human" face to a CI.

And why a more informed gamer of today would even take anything in press releases at face value is beyond me honestly. It's a circus that is meticulously designed to push a biased agenda (imagine that).

Do you see people post angry tirades about the newest Ariel advertisement that claims to re-dye your clothes to technicolor glory when that is physically impossible unless you dye the rest of your clothes as well.

The graphics are better, the only problem with what Reggie said is the adjective he used. Performance wise 360 has it by 7 frames on average but the Wii u version doesnt have any screen tearing. I own the game and playing multiplayer doesnt make me want to rip my eyes out. Its all good though, its launching titles and we should all know you dont judge what a console can do with launch titles. Well most people do. Lol

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
It's several things. First, Nintendo still didn't convince anyone that it will have decent 3rd party support on par with other consoles. Second, Nintendo didn't address how 3rd parties are supposed to be on board when Orbis and Durango come out. Third, they are confused that while the system should be more powerful than PS360 most developers have hard time even making versions that are on par, and no evidence so far was shown that will see the games that look as good as Uncharted on it, for example. And only fourth, it is Nintendo haters who will visit every thread about Wii U to "loltendo", etc.

Nintendo haven't had anything resembling worthwhile third party support since the SNES, so I really don't get how anyone, including the Nintendo faithful, thought it would be different this time around just because Redmond Reggie, a guy who is paid to spin and lie, tells them all is fine at the House of Mario. It's like the Liverpool fans who have convinced themselves that next year is always their year, regardless of Liverpool not having won the league in, what, two decades?

As for games not looking better than PS360, it's still early days. Sure, the HW in the Wii U is probably not much better than PS360 (arguably even worse in some areas, as mindblowing as that is), but I'd blame the lackluster third party launch games as much on unoptimized ports as on Nintendo re-rehashing the GCN CPU and using RAM cribbed from their old office PCs.

It just runs 10-15 FPS slower.
Just leaving another one for reference:
http://www.lensoftruth.com/heads-up-call-of-duty-black-ops-ii-analysis-wii-ups3xbox-360/

On average it runs 3 fps slower than PS3 and 8 fps than 360, but has no screen tear.

I'm so sad people think a shit framerate isn't part of "looks." If a game is running like a slideshow for huge portions of the game, it's looking nasty!
Except that it is not the case with BOps on Wii U? And I personally find screen tearing very distracting.

Sid

There is really no metric by which it looks better than the 360 version. Our human FRAPS machine even has evidence of a more aggressive LoD system. That's just referring to CoD, too.

I think it's pretty insulting that this would be considered anything beyond a lie.
Interesting.

Reggie is gonna Reggie. He's a mouthpiece, It's his job to spout the company line...I think people misunderstood my point. CNN took a forum posters style approach to this "interview" it's was terrible and lazy.

But as shown people are way too quick to fly off the handle at a "Nintendo fanboy" that would be the case if I don't own pretty much ever system that has come out (FM Towns and/X86000/PC-FX) non withstanding lol

You are serious. What´s wrong with you?

Reggie has become detrimental to Nintendo.

And some people here need to stop lumping all Nintendo fans into a single hivemind.

Also, THIS is the topic CNN decides to be journalists on? After they let the election go by with only a few (Soledad) interviews like this?

Gravijah

And some people here need to stop lumping all Nintendo fans into a single hivemind.

hmmm.

Also, THIS is the topic CNN decides to be journalists on? After they let the election go by with only a few (Soledad) interviews like this?

Go right ahead, no one is stopping you. Just dont be surprise when the system start pushing out titles that surpass current console games in the future.

oh, i won't be.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Seems the Wii U version is the best looking(not running) version on the consoles. Not "dramatically" but yeah.
No, it looks exactly the same as the 360 version (same resolution, same method of AA) but runs at a much slower framerate.

Reggie specifically says "dramatically better" in reference to visual quality, however, so even a slight lead in image quality (which is not the case) wouldn't jive with his statement.

"Misleading" is one thing, blatant lying is another.

If this is Reggie's idea of selling the console, he needs to be put out to pasture. Blatant-lie-PR never really works with Sony/MS, I've no clue why he thinks it would work with Nintendo.

Skyzard

Banned
@Hobbestetrician - CNN Honk Kong.

Your quote says nothing about graphics. How does it have anything to do with my comments about the graphics being better?

Actually, they don't specifically mention it there. But I find it hard to believe they upgraded the graphics for the multiplayer, and just in the WiiU version.

Just leaving this here:
http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2hea...ps-ii-screenshot-comparison-wii-ups3xbox-360/

It may not look dramatically better, but it is definitely better than PS3 and maybe even partially better than 360.

The textures look cleaner than PS3 in those shots but it is missing shadows/bodies/fog.

Meelow

Banned
Just leaving this here:
http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2hea...ps-ii-screenshot-comparison-wii-ups3xbox-360/

It may not look dramatically better, but it is definitely better than PS3 and maybe even partially better than 360.

You can easily tell here comparison to the PS3 pick (It won't let me copy it)

wii-rollover_07.jpg

Just leaving another one for reference:
http://www.lensoftruth.com/heads-up-call-of-duty-black-ops-ii-analysis-wii-ups3xbox-360/

On average it runs 3 fps slower than PS3 and 8 fps than 360, but has no screen tear.

Except that it is not the case with BOps on Wii U? And I personally find screen tearing very distracting.
People need to stop with the screen tear bullshit. The PS3/360 versions tear at the very top of the screen, in a place where 99% of people will never notice. I never saw it during my play through on 360 and I'm sensitive to it. It's not an advantage for WiiU in any sense of the word, especially when it can't keep pace in framerate, something especially important in a COD game.

Top Bottom