• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie Speaks in Spanish

-------------------------------------------------------------
"CN: ¿Cuándo veremos una estrategia real 'online' en los sistemas de Nintendo?

R: Estaremos hablando de online en el próximo E3. Aunque seguramente les daremos información de esto antes del show."

CN: When will we see a real 'online' strategy on Nintendo's systems?

R: We'll be talking about online at the next E3. But we'll probably give you more information about this before the show.
"CN: ¿Tiene pensado Nintendo lanzar más juegos 'Teen' y 'Mature'?

R: Sí. En el caso de juegos 'Mature' estamos trabajando internamente, así como con las licencias, para asegurarnos que se desarrollen grandes títulos para ese segmento de gente. Por ejemplo el éxito de Resident Evil, que muestra que existe gente para estos títulos en el Nintendo GameCube. Algo que el señor Iwata y Miyamoto han visto es que este tipo de juegos son exitosos, por lo que continuaremos lanzándolos a través de las licencias. Por nuestra parte seguiremos desarrollando nuestros títulos como: Mario, Metroid, Donkey Kong, etc. Algo que hacemos muy bien."

CN: Does Nintendo have plans to launch more 'Teen' and 'Mature' games?

R: Yes. In the case of 'Mature' games we're working internally, as well as with licensees, to make sure that they develop big titles for that segment of people. For example the excitement of Resident Evil, that proves that people for those titles exist on the Nintendo GameCube. Something that Iwata and Miyamoto have seen is that those types of games are exciting, for this reason we'll keep launching them through licensees. For our part we'll keep developing our titles like: Mario, Metroid, Donkey Kong, etc. Something we do very well.
"CN: ¿El Nintendo Revolution será mostrado en el E3?

R: Sí, lo vamos a mostrar."

CN: The Nintendo Revolution will be demonstrated at E3?

R: Yes, we're going to demonstrate it.
"CN: ¿Se podrá jugar o sólo será de exhibición?

R: Eso no se los puedo contestar; deben entender que Nintendo siempre se reserva la información hasta el último momento, debido a que la competencia siempre reacciona y copia todas las innovaciones, como: controles inalámbricos, juegos multijugadores, etc. Les puedo asegurar que las sorpresas que verán con 'Revolution' serán mas de las que se imaginan."

CN: Will it be playable or only an exibition?

R: This I can't answer; you have to understand that Nintendo always keeps their information until the last minute, reason because the competition always reacts and copies all the innovations, like: wireless controllers, multiplayer games, etc. I can assure you that the surprises that you'll see with 'Revolution' will be more than you can imagine.
"CN: ¿Qué hace Nintendo con casos como Resident Evil 4, que en su momento se anunciaron como exclusivos y ahora no lo son?

R: Resident Evil 4 es exclusivo en este momento. Veremos cuando salga con la competencia, cómo luce y cuáles son sus ventajas, ya que este juego fue desarrollado para aprovechar las capacidades del Nintendo GameCube. Seguramente no será igual. La pregunta sería si vamos a seguir desarrollando juegos exclusivos con las licencias; la respuesta es: sí."

CN: What does Nintendo do with cases like Resident Evil 4, that were at first announced as exclusives and now aren't?

R: Resident Evil 4 is exclusive at this moment. We'll see when the competition comes out, how it works and what are its advantages, since this game was developed to take advantage of the capacity of the Nintendo GameCube. It probably won't be the same. The question is if we're going to keep developing exclusive games with licensees; the answer is: yes.
"CN: ¿Los licenciatarios están trabajando ya en títulos para el 'Revolution'?

R: A los licenciatarios les proveemos cierta información para que puedan comenzar a desarrollar juegos. De esto hablaremos más a fondo en el Game Developers Conference de San Francisco en marzo. Ahí tendremos una nueva oportunidad para compartir información."

CN: Are the licensees working on titles for the 'Revolution' already?

R: We provided licensees certain information so they can begin to develop games. We'll talk about this in more detail at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco in March. There we'll have a new opportunity to share information.
I don't care if you idiots say it's old -- I just moved this from the existing thread to a new one to offer a full translation.

imaenReggie.jpg

If old I'm sorry, I did a search with no results. Thanks to Kaureq and grivad GCLB IGN

pj

Banned
OG_Original Gamer said:
CN: Will it be playable or only an exibition?

R: This I can't answer; you have to understand that Nintendo always keeps their information until the last minute, reason because the competition always reacts and copies all the innovations, like: wireless controllers

..Right, because both ms and sony started making wireless controllers after nintendo revealed wavebird

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Some quite good stuff.

But I wish Nintendo would give up the people copying them line. Honest to god, has anyone copied Pikmin? Is anyone including waterpacks in their platformers?

Even if things did get copied, like things from Mario 64 and Zelda's lock on targeting...they were still some of their best selling games ever! Just show the damn things, whatever it is won't be copied, and if it is then they hype you gain from showing the product should make it worth it anyway.

ourumov

This seems like the typical south american translation of an english Interview. For God's sake:

You have to say "LA GAMECUBE", "LA PS2", "LA XBOX"... Not "EL GC", "EL PS2", "EL XBOX". They are "consolas", which is a femenine word, not a masculine one.
It's worthless to try to show them this since they do what they want with both english and spanish.

CN: When will we see a real 'online' strategy on Nintendo's systems?

R: We'll be talking about online at the next E3. But we'll probably give you more information about this before the show.
The only part that mattered really. :lol Maybe we will see something this month dealing with the DS going online. I'd still be surprised though.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
ourumov said:
This seems like the typical south american translation of an english Interview. For God's sake:

You have to say "LA GAMECUBE", "LA PS2", "LA XBOX"... Not "EL GC", "EL PS2", "EL XBOX". They are "consolas", which is a femenine word, not a masculine one.
It's worthless to try to show them this since they do what they want with both english and spanish.

One of my best friends is from Spain an he complained about this to no end.... mostly about Mexican Spainish

[Main points of that interview]
-Nintendo will be talking online at E3 for Revolution and DS. (Not "No-Line!")
-Nintendo will speak of their online plans for DS and Revolution at GDC.
-Nintendo is working internally on more Teen (and possibly Mature) games.
-Nintendo is working with licensees on Teen and Mature games (duh).
-Revolution will be demonstrated at E3. (duh)
-Nintendo will develop exclusive games with licensees on Revolution and DS.
-Nintendo will continue to make Nintendo games, because that's "something we do very well." (duh)
-Certain licensees are working on Revolution titles.
-GDC will reveal more to developers about Revolution.

I've come out of this with a positive vibe. I think Revolution will still surprise people.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Cold-Steel said:

Didn't really take this from it. He didn't mention what platforms he was talking about re. Online. I'm thinking he was referring to DS.

But I do get the definite impression that they may share a little on Revolution at GDC. Whether that's done publically or privately with developers we'll have to wait and see, but Iwata's keynote certainly gives him the opportunity to talk about it more.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Rorschach said:
WTF don't blame Mexico that CN can't speak Spanish.

I didn't

I was just saying what my friend from Spain said about Mexican Spainish.. I don't really know La fro El really...

gofreak said:
Didn't really take this from it. He didn't mention what platforms he was talking about re. Online. I'm thinking he was referring to DS.

But I do get the definite impression that they may share a little on Revolution at GDC. Whether that's done publically or privately with developers we'll have to wait and see, but Iwata's keynote certainly gives him the opportunity to talk about it more.

Revolution will have an online component. I'm not going on any facts, but from a business perspective after one generation and the emphasis on the DS - Nintendo will carry this over into their home console sector.

They aren't stupid. They have hats of money.

Combine this with Reggie's interview about Xbox LIVE and community and his emphasis on creating a "community" for Revolution.

Andvary

Well, in most Mexican magazines, the consoles are refered as Sistemas or "Systems", so "El XYZ" is correct. In spain they say "las consolas", so it's just a matter of what do you like to call them, not like someone is destroying the language.

Hmph, after Iwata's always-nervewracking comments, it's nice to see something that makes one feel positive about Nintendo's game plan again, even if it may be a slightly older interview.

Iwata: "It might do well, it might not fly with third parties and bomb out, we don't know."
Reggie: "I can assure you that the surprises that you'll see with 'Revolution' will be more than you can imagine."

Which would you rather hear more from? I know Reggie's there specifically for the PR, but it's refreshing compared to Iwata talking about how awkward their next products are going to be and that people may not like them. (First said about the DS, now the Revolution.) Plus, I think this is the first serious mention of online we've seen since... last E3?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Cold-Steel said:
Revolution will have an online component. I'm not going on any facts, but from a business perspective after one generation and the emphasis on the DS - Nintendo will carry this over into their home console sector.

They aren't stupid. They have hats of money.

Combine this with Reggie's interview about Xbox LIVE and community and his emphasis on creating a "community" for Revolution.

I didn't say Rev won't be "online" (or have some sort of networking), just that I don't think we'll see it before E3. I think he was referring to the rumoured "March surprise" for DS.

R: We provided licensees certain information so they can begin to develop games. We'll talk about this in more detail at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco in March. There we'll have a new opportunity to share information.

Good!

Kulock said:
Iwata: "It might do well, it might not fly with third parties and bomb out, we don't know."
Reggie: "I can assure you that the surprises that you'll see with 'Revolution' will be more than you can imagine."

Iwata not a PR person

Reggie a PR JEDI MASTER who kicks ass and takes names

Drakken

For some reason, whenver I read a Reggie interview, I get temporarily very excited about Nintendo. He just seems to have that effect on me.

GDC can't come soon enough...

Mama Smurf said:
Some quite good stuff.

But I wish Nintendo would give up the people copying them line. Honest to god, has anyone copied Pikmin? Is anyone including waterpacks in their platformers?

Even if things did get copied, like things from Mario 64 and Zelda's lock on targeting...they were still some of their best selling games ever! Just show the damn things, whatever it is won't be copied, and if it is then they hype you gain from showing the product should make it worth it anyway.
I agree with Nintendo though. Better safe than sorry.

jett

D-Member
ourumov said:

Eh, it could be "el sistema...", you know. So, seriously, shut the fuck up.

doesn't the majority control the language though, i mean, language is dynamic, if more spanish speakers use el instead of la, doesn't that eventually make them right, even if only in the future at least?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Blackace said:
One of my best friends is from Spain an he complained about this to no end.... mostly about Mexican Spainish

most spaniards have sticks up their asses and dont realize that there are different dialects.

NWO

So will this shut up all the people saying that Nintendo doesn't listen to them about Teen and Mature rated games, online, and developers working on the Revolution?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
NWO said:
So will this shut up all the people saying that Nintendo doesn't listen to them about Teen and Mature rated games, online, and developers working on the Revolution?

No because actions speak louder than words.

Deg

Banned
:lol

No because actions speak louder than words.

Thats true they've said everything that needs to be said time and again but they never deliver. Also looks like some peope are misinterpreting his mature game comments. He makes it clear Nintendo will not make mature games.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Wouldn't "sistema" be a feminine word?

Just a few years of Spanish here... so I really know next to nothing about it. However, even if the word used is "sistema", I'm not sure I see how that would be masculine.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
quadriplegicjon said:
most spaniards have sticks up their asses and dont realize that there are different dialects.
Where the fuck did you pull this out of, all of my family, friends, and people I’ve been acquainted over there don’t really care about other dialects of the language. Not that this bothers me too much (I've heard worse ignorant stereotypes) but that's just utter bullshit. Yes I am a Spaniard, I know how bad we can get ;).

Newduck

I'm not doubting that people have certainly copied nintendos ideas on multiple occasions but its as if Reggie went out of his way to find examples where that was completely NOT the case.

Sagitario

DavidDayton said:
Wouldn't "sistema" be a feminine word?

Just a few years of Spanish here... so I really know next to nothing about it. However, even if the word used is "sistema", I'm not sure I see how that would be masculine.

Nop, "sistema" is masculine...
"EL" GCN, "EL" Xbox, "EL" PS2, "El" GBA... is pretty common here because we refer them as "systems"... when we talk about "consoles" we say "la consola PS2" for example, but most of the time we just use the name or abbreviation of the console, and the masculine 'sistema" goes implicit...

kIdMuScLe

you be suprised how spanish varies in the latin world. what may be common words in one country, it is foul words in another cuntry. that's all.

jett

D-Member
Society said:
ourumov lives in Spain. I think he would know the language better than your high school spanish teacher.

WTF? Do you think everyone but ourumov is from the states?

Sagitario

Society said:
ourumov lives in Spain. I think he would know the language better than your high school spanish teacher.

But CN is a mexican magazine... and the use of the article "EL" is right...

Mallrat83

Banned
Newduck said:
I'm not doubting that people have certainly copied nintendos ideas on multiple occasions but its as if Reggie went out of his way to find examples where that was completely NOT the case.

I don't know, I see many examples of copycatting (?) by Nintendo's competitors. Not necessarily Sony and MS, but third parties making Mario Party and Smash Bros style games, third party wireless controllers, etc.

koam

Cold-Steel said:
-Nintendo will be talking online at E3 for Revolution and DS. (Not "No-Line!")
-Nintendo is working internally on more Teen (and possibly Mature) games.
-Nintendo is working with licensees on Teen and Mature games (duh).
-Revolution will be demonstrated at E3. (duh)
-Nintendo will develop exclusive games with licensees on Revolution and DS.
-Nintendo will continue to make Nintendo games, because that's "something we do very well." (duh)
-Certain licensees are working on Revolution titles.
-GDC will reveal more to developers about Revolution.

I've come out of this with a positive vibe. I think Revolution will still surprise people.

This is the first positive thing I've ever heard of the Revolution. Usually, everyone including Nintendo themselves, make the revolution sound like a failure. More teen and Adult games is good for us old school Nintendo fans. Online is good. And I believe the GDC info is new, never heard of that.

Odnetnin

Banned
Good interview although it still boggles me how Nintendo media comes from such oblique sources. They really need to sit down and find a way to communicate with their fans; be it on nintendo.com or via some other channel that allows greater access to the company. As it stands, Nintendo needs this most of the 3 console makers. They have the most profolic crew and they really should make the most of it.

I think the teens/adult titles from Nintendo are the ones to watch out for. Definite change in dirfection and it'll be interesting to see if they lose the furry (sf + DK) or mario crew.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
koam said:
This is the first positive thing I've ever heard of the Revolution. Usually, everyone including Nintendo themselves, make the revolution sound like a failure. More teen and Adult games is good for us old school Nintendo fans. Online is good. And I believe the GDC info is new, never heard of that.
Yeah, seriously. This thread needs a title more fitting of the information found within -- as it is you'd just think it was about Reggie somehow speaking a non-English language, when actually there's some pretty significant stuff in here.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
TekunoRobby said:
Where the fuck did you pull this out of, all of my family, friends, and people I’ve been acquainted over there don’t really care about other dialects of the language. Not that this bothers me too much (I've heard worse ignorant stereotypes) but that's just utter bullshit. Yes I am a Spaniard, I know how bad we can get ;).

i pulled this out of constantly hearing from spaniards how bad 'mexican' spanish is.. wasnt there a big deal about RE4 using the mexican dialect or something?

Top Bottom