• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reign of Fear: A NeoGAF DnD 5e Play by Post Campaign

((
So far, we have alternate gates that are probably heavily guarded and difficult to find OR a climb/swim/spelunk up the waterfall in through the glacier that lies beneath the city. Because neither of those pose difficulty.
Right. It'll be no problem at all.

I say we hoist Ludwig, a wagon, and magical horses up a raging torrent of falling water.

Alright, last call if anyone wants to get a scene at a tavern in for the evening/regroup with the party to share what's been learned before we move on to the next day
Galen's got nothing specific to go over unless someone else has something with him; just his shopping, which I could "retroactively" leave a post for, and that would just be a fun little thing.

It did sound possible Thosar and Galen might make their tent-visiting trip on the first day, so maybe there's that, and Ludwig and Nyx can always share a scene about lessening the weight of the party's liquid spoils.

The diplomatic envoy of the Endowed is still open to new members. Application's accepted at the party's meeting table.

On another note, I just realized the reply window options include "Undo" and "Redo."))

<I'm guessing what could work is that Fhiess ends up meeting up with Thosar after Thosar learned everything, and then they rejoin the party?>

((
Axel:
As long as there's plenty of downtime, it should also be possible to build those archer sheilds. If Sagishi is going to be using the Magnetic weapon property, it may also become of more use.
((Not a bad idea. Mike:
Could Ludwig get working on those archer barricades Song was talking about during the downtime?

Other than that, I think we're good. If DP and/or anyone else wants to do a getting trashed at or by the bar scene, I can be down for that. Otherwise, I'm content to say it happened and leave it in the background while the others do their meeting stuff.))

Mike M

Nick N
Axel:
((Yeah, you've got time and resources to do it if you want. I think we hammered out the cost of material and everything, but I don't remember any of it. Heh.))

((Finding out more about the rings and more about the crystal outside what Thosar already determined when it was received would be an Investigation check))

((Mike:
I couldn't remember either, so I had to go and comb the thread for it. Looks like it's in post 827, and will run 4 hours of work and 50 silver for the two 5x5x2 covers.

Song:
Since Ludwig spent every last bit of money he has on the armor and shrinking potions, can you spare 50 silver for the barricades to be built?
))

((
Finding out more about the rings and more about the crystal outside what Thosar already determined when it was received would be an Investigation check
I would figure that check for the rings would not require a library, though one might help if the information sought was about the material itself? I also believe Kittenmaster is intending to have someone else look at the crystal; would that still be an investigation check on Fhiess' part?

Song:
Since Ludwig spent every last bit of money he has on the armor and shrinking potions, can you spare 50 silver for the barricades to be built?
Axel:
While I would expect Galen should be able to cover the cost, I cannot seem to access his character sheet to double check; I am trying to log into mythweavers, but they keep telling me my information is wrong and that I have used 1 out of 5 attempts. I think the site is broken. At this time, after other costs, I can give a tentative "maybe."
))

<Yeah, Fhiess will also want to learn more about high elf political matters and if there's anybody that might know about what happened to the hobgoblins in the past. He'll want to find somebody he can talk to more than books on the subject, since they might not provide that for students.

1D20+2+1 => (12 + 2 + 1) = 15 Investigation>

Mike M

Nick N
((Yeah, an Investigation attempt with the rings would represent hitting the streets and trying to work leads rather than studying any books.))

((
I would say we should also buy winter clothes, blankets, and healing kits for each person as well as rope gear (block and tackle, couple lengths of rope). This would run us 61.5 gold.
I have decided to make quick reference for these costs; unfortunately, though, I have been unable to find information for "winter clothes," which I fully expected to have readily available.

Winter Weather Ledger said:
Blanket: 5 sp (Incidentally, Galen is has a bedroll already, so that drops the cumulative cost by a whole five silver!)
Block and Tackle: 1 gp
Kit, Healer's: 5 gp
Rope, Hempen (Silk): 1 gp - 4 gp (10 gp - 40 gp)
I think it is possible to save on some costs by not getting a whole seven healer's kits. While it would be rather convenient for everyone to carry one, it seems likely the party will not need seventy uses of the kits, and Thosar has one that is not yet totally depleted. As long as a couple forty pound ropes shouldn't be an issue, we could forgo the niceties of silk and get the heavy-duty four-strand versions.

Interestingly, on the subject of rope, the description of the block and tackle says "A set of pulleys with a cable threaded through them and a hook to attach to objects." This seems to imply that the block and tackle comes with some manner of rope already. Would this be correct?

I also find it interesting that this thread showed up twice on the second page of my "winter clothes" Google search.

Well, if its not to late, I guess I'll pitch in on the armor.
Just to point out, as Noisy Ninj4 has found, if each party member gives an equal amount, it is 56 gold each for the cost of the armor. I probably should have mentioned that before now, too make sure you saw, but it kind of slipped my mind.

Axel:
Upon realizing that the username I was trying to use was only tangentially related to what I wanted, I managed to get to my sheet. It seems to have rolled back some -site issues requiring backups from shortly before my latest version; if you have your sheet on mythweavers, you may want to check on yours- but I have been able to make sure my finances are correct and Galen does have a whole 5 gold to invest in this endeavor.

Mike:
I suppose I should specify that Galen is going to be sending that letter, though he will need to add on to it first. If I have figured everything out correctly, that should run under 2 gold to get it to its destination.

KittenMaster:
Alas! Galen is going to be asking Fhiess for that folded piece of paper from before that last fight. Since everything's in spoilers right now, the content of these spoiler tags gets to be in spoilers too!
))

((Winter clothing costs were guesstimated by using the cost for a set of adventurer gear. I quadrupled the cost for Ludwig's. I provided for a bunch of healer kits because we may not have another chance to get more for a while.
Probably don't need much standard size rope, but thick hemp braids might be nice for heavy loads.))

((
Winter clothing costs were guesstimated by using the cost for a set of adventurer gear. I quadrupled the cost for Ludwig's. I provided for a bunch of healer kits because we may not have another chance to get more for a while.
Probably don't need much standard size rope, but thick hemp braids might be nice for heavy loads.

By adventurer gear, do you mean the Traveler's Clothes, or are you referring to some adventuring kit that may give an idea of the cost of winter clothes? And I do agree that it is good to have a large collection of healing kits to keep from running out; I just wanted to point out that we shouldn't need them all immediately in case anyone prefers to keep their costs down. On the subject of cost, and I probably shouldn't mention this, wouldn't we expect a Ludwig blanket to cost more as well?))

Just to point out, as Noisy Ninj4 has found, if each party member gives an equal amount, it is 56 gold each for the cost of the armor. I probably should have mentioned that before now, too make sure you saw, but it kind of slipped my mind.

((Yeah i saw that post, it was linked in one of the other ones i think.))

Mike M

Nick N
((Winter clothes would just be book price for Traveler's Clothes at 2gp (8 for Ludwig).))

The morning after their arrival, the party is presented with a short to do list to accomplish while they're in town waiting on Ludwig's armor fitting and trying to see if they can't figure out a way into Hammerfall that bypasses the gates: Thosar has a standing appointment with Vannwinkle at the government building, Fhiess has questions to research regarding the crystal in their posession and a more in-depth picture of the history of high-elves in the region and what their relationship is with the hobgoblins that would engender such hatred, and Sagishi's curiosity has been piqued with respect to the criminal underground of Bellows and where that may lead. The rest are more than welcome to accompany any who would appreciate the company or follow their own miscellaneous pursuits.

The breakfast at the inn is little more than last night's dinner stew warmed over with some fresh-baked bread, a possible sign of shortages and the trouble that plagues the realm beneath the relatively placid surface of Bellows. Still, it's a welcome break from the unvarying provisions generated by the magical haversack, as all are sure Barrow would agree.

But Barrow is mysteriously absent this morning.

Keranos sits hunched over in a dimly lit corner of the common area, picking at his tray of leftovers with bleary eyes. He absentmindedly scarfs down sopping chunks of bread, thinking about nothing in particular.

Morning is not his favorite time of day.

Bit by bit, his awareness returns to him, and he surveys the room.He spots each of his companions with their meals at various stages of completion; nothing unusual.

He almost looks back down at his food, and then his eyes snap wide open. He rises from the bench and arches one eyebrow.

"Has anyone seen Barrow?"

Upon confirmation that, no, the wagon driver has not turned up today, Keranos stuffs his face with as much food as one mouthful can fit, then exits the establishment in search of his friend.

((Perception: [13] + 4 = 17
Charisma check to function as Gather Information: [4] + 3 = 7, plus whatever skill proficiency might apply except that it wouldn't matter since it's a pretty low roll))

Galen brings more of the stew to his mouth. He hasn't really been looking at his food, and it doesn't seem to bother him at all to be receiving the previous night's leftovers. His attention is on the room and its inhabitants around him.

Across the room, for instance, there are two young human men. When he first saw them, they were talking amicably over their breakfast -about what, he couldn't say- but they had quickly become frustrated with each other, and they now appear to be approaching the threshold of violence.

A couple tables away from those two, a party of gnomes and dwarves plays a fast-paced game of dice. Two dwarves carry large swords strapped to their backs, and one of them reaches down to stroke the fur of a large dog lying by his side. One of the gnomes, wearing a worn blue hat, long and pointy and nearly reaching the floor from his seated position, strokes his long silver beard and a small red bird hops out, leaping onto the table in a flurry of flapping feathers. It gives the gnome a quizzical look and chirps. A second dog of the same breed as the first circles the table.

In one of the corners of the room, a hulking figure, form concealed in a vast cloak, hunches over his table. He snores.

When Keranos asks about Barrow, Galen shakes his head.

"Haven't seen him," he replies. "Not that there should be cause for concern. He's probably out giving his enchanted horses a stern lecture, or perhaps he is just trying to leverage his influence to get into Hammerfall." Galen pauses and, with a small one-sided smile, raises an eyebrow. "Big fan of their politics, you know?"

((Four days of longbows. Check.

I'll wait a little more to see what all is going on before making some manner of first day write up. It will also allow us to figure out when the visit to the tent-dwellers in the courtyard takes place.

Anyway, dwarves are humanoid, correct? How hard can it be to find a specific dwarf in Bellows? Actually, that's probably kind of hard. Galen will probably do some looking, though he's not entirely concerned about their friend; Barrow's got a good head on his shoulders; he will know what he's doing, whatever it is.

Of course, as long as Galen looks for Barrow, he will be open to some help. That will probably be a Wisdom(Survival) for tracking?

Wisdom. Survival. Track.

Yeah, sure. Sounds about right.))

Ludwig wakes up feeling somewhat hung over from last night's festivities. Not wanting to suffer through breakfast, he focuses inward and channels the divine energies used to heal wounds and cure diseases to purge the hangover from his body. An egregious abuse of his gifts by the standards of most paladins, but Ludwig is not most paladins.

Now that he's feeling good as new, the J'raffa makes his way to where the rest of the party is eating breakfast and meets with them there. "You know, it's kind of amazing how good other food tastes once you get used to eating the same thing day in, day out. I need to stay around here and wait on my armor, but I don't think we have a way into Forgerun. Come to think of it, Barrow may know people there, maybe he has an idea on a way in..."

At this point, Ludwig notices that Barrow is nowhere to be seen. "Say, has anyone seen him? He's not one I'd expect to miss a meal."

Though much had changed at the museum with different arrangements of paintings and new ones replacing older, it is the same as before with all of the old paintings as Fhiess remembers back in the corner of his mind.

The old curator gives a stern look to Fhiess knowing he had done something wrong. The former student isn't supposed to be here, back as a student in the museum. He wasn't supposed to bring Nolzur's paintbrush to where it could do what it wanted.

Then the unthinkable happens.

Nolzur himself, as depicted in his own self-sketches walks in from Fhiess' view, as if Fhiess himself had brought him. The elder painter gives a look over of his own master pieces, then almost without moving from where he stands, begins pulling the priceless artifacts from their place and shattering them over his knees- the master takes a brush and splatters paint over his own meticulous constructions based on years of knowledge and practice.

Fhiess is shaken, sweating, Rudolph and the old curator both turn towards him knowing that he had brought the master in that is now destroying the paintings. Fhiess had ruined everything, he had ruined everything he had loved and would surely be punished in some way.

The elf's eyes open, his skin sore and irritable from sweat that had dried and left only left its saltiness in his wake, and an added feeling of chill from the air against the drying sweat. He can hardly breathe, the anxiety from his nightmare leaving him in a momentary struggle to regain consciousness.

He makes it to the breakfast table later than others, and eats mostly in silence without much to say about the food, or an answer to the question about Barrow.

Mike M

Nick N
((Yes, Dwarves count as humanoids, and finding a specific individual among them would be difficult. Really I'd say the proper skill check would be Investigation, but if Galen wants to make a Survival check for tracking, I'll allow it at a higher DC for success.))

Keranos leaves the inn in search of his friend, but is almost instantly stymied in his efforts. Really the only people they've had direct interaction with were the stable hands at the city gates, and while they certainly remember the dwarf and his wagon pulled by such marvelously docile horses, they have not seen him since the previous sundown.

The horses are still in the stable and the wagon still in the yard, so at least Keranos knows that Barrow has not taken their conveyance with him. Not that he probably could have convinced the horses to take him on any errand by himself, anyway.

Other avenues of approach run dry rather quickly. Barrow's most distinguishing characteristics were that he was a bald dwarf, but that's not nearly so distinguishing here in Bellows as it had been in Remdormo.

((Galen’s going to be attempting to “Track” Barrow, even if it is harder than Investigation; the revised ranger gives advantage on survival checks to track favored enemies, and our trusty bowman is already better at tracking than he is investigating. Not that Barrow is an enemy, of course. The only members of the party I expect wouldn’t be subject to this are Sagishi and Ludwig.

If anyone would like to attempt to help Galen track, he would accept, though, as previously indicated, he seems to think Barrow should be fine, and is in no real hurry.

KittenMaster:
I’m not sure if Galen should be able to pick up by Fhiess’ actions that there is something troubling him or not; what would you say on this matter?

As for preparations prior to this upcoming trek through the winter wonderland, here is what Galen may be looking at for expenses:

List of Expenses said:
  • 500 gp for Mage Slayer
  • 56 for his investment in Ludwig’s armor
  • 5 for a Healer’s Kit
  • 5 for, apparently,
    “Secret Projects”[%Spoiler]
    [*]2 for Winter Clothes
    [*]2 for a Grappling Hook
    [*]2 for a Dagger, since he doesn’t have one yet, and those two are worth more in the “Stranger’s Cloak”
    [*]1 for Block and Tackle
    [*]Somewhere less than 10 to send a letter
    [*]And 2 silver for a quarterstaff to use as a walking stick.
This is all, of course, not taking into account the cost of rope; I kept that off the list pending some discussion of how the cost will be handled. Galen could also take care of the cost of keeping all three tents. If there is something important missing, do let me know.

Also, how should I figure out inn costs, or is that being ignored?

Axel:
Galen may also be able to take care of Ludwig’s winter clothes and blanket; unless something comes up, he’ll have the 10 gold to spare.
))

<I only ever wrote down a "pooled gold" value on my character sheet and that was from before the last fight. I really should get around to catching up on finances.

As for the spoiled
It probably isn't that obvious something is wrong other than having lost some sleep, but by all means don't let that stop you from asking about it if you want.
>

((
I only ever wrote down a "pooled gold" value on my character sheet and that was from before the last fight. I really should get around to catching up on finances.
Eh, that should be easy enough. Noisy Ninj4 made a breakdown of the party's entire income since the tower crashed down, and provided how much each member gets from the spit; as long as you have Fhiess' funds from before that, catching up should be easy.

KittenMaster:
It also seems like you may have somehow been missed in regard to Ludwig's armor situation. In order to get Ludwig better armor, everyone was planning on pooling 56 gold each, which, as it was more simple for calculations, was in lieu of a party expenses pool.

Of course, I would not be opposed to simply deciding the entire pool for a set of giraffe armor was a party expenses pool.

As for the spoiled
It probably isn't that obvious something is wrong other than having lost some sleep, but by all means don't let that stop you from asking about it if you want.

KittenMaster:
Since you think it's not really obvious, it'll take more for Galen to take notice.

Axel:
As a random thought, when Ludwig goes for plate armor, rather than simply selling his splint, you could have Gorami offer a discount in exchange for giving her that prized armor to put on display. She seemed quite proud of it, after all.

Does anyone have any critique on Galen's expenses list?))

((List looks fine to me.))

There is no light, color, or sensation. An ocean of unfeeling surrounds him and quashes every thought and action. There is no escape to be had, nor even a thought to it. The only left is the nameless, unceasing terror of the void he finds himself within.

Then, a procession of light appears. Bright motes dancing in the black approach him, although how long they take is unknowable, for time and distance remain immaterial.

The motes reach him, the 12 float about his body as oneoroi about Nyx. Each lands on him, warming what feels like ice. He feels motion from them, pushing him to something he cannot see, but knows is there. He cannot see his destination, but his course is set nonetheless.

Thosar opens his eyes from the trance. Having begun his rest later than usual, he awakens alone and smelling breakfast. The smoky, savory scent of eggs, sausage, and bread are usually not to his preference, but it's a fair change to cheese and fruit each day. He prepares his books and equipment for the day, readying to meet with Vannwinkle.

He hardly notices Barrows absence and declines to search for him when Galen wishes to track the old dwarf. He sees more important work ahead for himself, reminding the group of where he plans to be and that he may be able to learn important information regarding their quest. Besides, the bearded wonder is probably fine, maybe even searching for a way into Forgerun himself.

Once finished with his meal, Thosar makes his way to the city center. The Telmurian exile government is evident by the pavilions set up among otherwise empty squares. He arrives at Vannwinkle's apartment. A sturdy midrise building, he appreciates the solid craftsmanship and simple design. While the construction bears little embellishment, the granite facade belies its age.

A small explosion breaks the quiet on the street. Thosar turns his head to see smoke billowing from a window of the building behind him, loud curses and the sound of hurried action complete the picture. "Probably one of the alchemy students buggering their alembic." He mutters.

The elf then approaches the apartment, showing the stock card given him from last night to the guard at the front door. "Here to see Vannwinkle." Thosar plainly.
"Right then, let me have a look." Taking the card in hand and examining it as a jeweler might examine an unfamiliar gem, the guard remains wary. "Never seen you here before. If you are a new visitor, I'll need you to bring a completed form A12-7 and sign an affidavit of your relation to the tenant."
"Or you could just let a decent sort like myself in. Why not have Vannwinkle vouch for me instead?" The sage wrinkles his nose, annoyed at the obstruction.
"No one has come to visit Vannwinkle in months, why the sudden interest, stranger?" The guard remains firm, clearly unimpressed with the elf's countenance.
"Just tell him Thosar is here to see him, he's waiting for my arrival."
"Very well, but there's to be no shenanigans. Wait here." He sighs, entering the door and locking it behind him.

Thosar leans against the cold stone wall, the icy wind off the mountain glaciers biting through his regular clothing. He finds a small nook to shelter in until the guard returns, Vannwinkle in tow. Vannwinkle has to peer closely, but finally recognizes his fellow scholar and Thosar is allowed into the building at last.

((
List looks fine to me.
Okay. Any thoughts on how we're handling rope? There's a couple other items that could be added, but they will wait pending how that goes.

Maybe the visit to the government folks can be in the afternoon or evening of the second day if Thosar has time.

KittenMaster:
Apparently you are getting lots of spoiler text. Anyway, I just wanted to confirm that Galen was able to receive his folded paper back when they got to Bellows. I expect that to be the case, but I figure it warrants checking as long as Fhiess is the last on record to carry it.

The Search for Barrow:
In this epic quest, Galen gets two counts of [6]+5=11. This can be assumed to fail, but I figure I might as well see if you have anything to add.
))

<Ah, I'm aware about the Ludwig armor situation, it is a good thing that our money has been pooled in this case. Using Noisy Ninja's link I'll go ahead and write down my share from that minus expenses (was it 56 gold?)

Galen:
Ah, yeah. I forgot about that but it is logical that he would give the letter back on the way back, but it might make for a good scene regardless so he'll give it back now
>

Soon, the elf lacking energy jolts slightly, "Oh, Galen! There was something I had been forgetting." He then sets the breakfast meal aside for a second then reaches into his cloak, "I found this getting dressed, then I remembered that you may need it."

He slides the tri-fold letter on the table closer to Galen, "I'm sorry, it had been sometime since it was entrusted to me, but now that we are in no danger it should be fine, right?

---

Fhiess' afternoon takes him back to the university, but he avoids the museum of art this time knowing that the paintbrush is still present in his inventory of items.

He had originally planned on finding the library, but it had occurred to him that eventually the library would only lead to him bothering people with fewer minutes to spend either way and if it is true that High Elves had oppressed the Hobgoblins they would not record history in tomes so easily accessible.

Employing a somehow familiar strategy, Fhiess moves to find the headmaster.

((
Using Noisy Ninja's link I'll go ahead and write down my share from that minus expenses (was it 56 gold?)
Yep. A whole, ginormous fifty-six. Quite the large sum.))

Oh, Galen! There was something I had been forgetting. I found this getting dressed, then I remembered that you may need it.

I'm sorry, it had been sometime since it was entrusted to me, but now that we are in no danger it should be fine, right?
Galen reaches out slightly over the table to catch the gliding paper with a small smile.

"Yeah, that'll be all right," he assures the artist. He slips the letter back into the pouch on his belt, adding, "I probably should get this taken care of while we're here, now shouldn't I?"

((Noisy Ninj4, would it be safe to assume Thosar has informed the party as to his findings regarding ways into the mountains? Er... to circumvent the shut gates? Sometime, likely the day after this, Galen might have an interest in exploring one of those avenues of approach. If Galen seems like he may be going mad, just remember "this could be really cool." Also, should we just figure Galen will take care of picking up rope?

Mike:
The block and tackle set, that would be able to use the extra strong rope, right? Llifting Ludwig was originally just a joking measure of a rope's strength, but it could end up being useful.
))

((Yeah. Either in evening prior or morning he'd have made sure to relay those unfortunate details.

Probably a good idea on having Galen grabbing rope.))

((
Yeah. Either in evening prior or morning he'd have made sure to relay those unfortunate details.

Probably a good idea on having Galen grabbing rope.
Oh, good. Crazy Galen is best Galen. Hmm. This could be fun?

Anyway, Galen will need to take a look of these avenues of approach. Just a quick look, nothing life-threatening. Sometime after those government types shoo him away. Anyone up for an adventure?

So far, I've got to write stuff for shopping and looking for Barrow, both of which should be fun. Beyond that, Galen's got a Telmurian Tent Trip and delving into the dark places of the mountains. And I managed to catch this before posting, but the party is still in excess of sixty miles of any of these entry options, so checking them out isn't happening.

Noisy Ninj4, it seems likely there will be need for the warmth of a fire through the night in these snowy regions. Does Thosar have anything planned to handle that? And what would you say to the possibility of Galen taking care of the cost of keeping the tents? They would break the wind and all. Maybe it would be better to get good, clean tents instead...

Mike, in addition to my previous nonsense, what kind of difference would you say there would be between a bedroll and a blanket? And would a bedroll be able to be split into two blankets, or is that that just more nonsense?

Also, Mike:
We could say the letter's destination is around 14 hexes down the road from Bellows, or six from the farming community. If we wanted it to be a bit off the road, we could add another hex, but it's not really important either way. This would bring it to around 84 or 90 miles. 84 miles would be one gold, six silver, and eight copper? That would bring 90 to an even one gold, eight silver, if I haven't gone and had Google do my math completely wrong.
Axel:
It looks like Galen should be able to cover the cost of Ludwig's Winter Clothes and a large blanket, if you want to go that route. Most anything to add to Galen's expenses -that I have not officially accounted for- at this point are trivial things that are just nice to say the party has.
))

((It'd be fine if you want to keep the tents, but I might recommend a single larger one since that'd retain heat better. Not to mention that Ludwig would need a bigger space anyway. As for generating warmth, Thosar doesn't have a lot directly but does Unseen Servant can tend fires and Firebolt can start them quickly. Both can be used without using spell slots.))

Mike M

Nick N
((Oy, I've been trying to get back to this thread since Friday...))

Also, how should I figure out inn costs, or is that being ignored?
((Ignored, I'm not interested in nickle and diming everyone for food and lodging.))

Mike:
The block and tackle set, that would be able to use the extra strong rope, right? Llifting Ludwig was originally just a joking measure of a rope's strength, but it could end up being useful.
))
((Yup.))

Mike, in addition to my previous nonsense, what kind of difference would you say there would be between a bedroll and a blanket? And would a bedroll be able to be split into two blankets, or is that that just more nonsense?
((A bedroll would be more like a sleeping bag or a stuffed mattress thin enough to be rolled up.))

Also, Mike:
We could say the letter's destination is around 14 hexes down the road from Bellows, or six from the farming community. If we wanted it to be a bit off the road, we could add another hex, but it's not really important either way. This would bring it to around 84 or 90 miles. 84 miles would be one gold, six silver, and eight copper? That would bring 90 to an even one gold, eight silver, if I haven't gone and had Google do my math completely
((Works for me.))

---

Vannwinkle seems just as enthused to see Thosar that morning as he had the previous evening. "Ah, Thosar! You've arrived! Come in, come in, nothing to be gained standing out here without even the least of instruments to take measurements." He turns heel and shuffles back into the building, his robes whispering as they drag along the floor at his feet.

His actual quarters are quite cramped, with a large, shallow basin made of copper and filled with water taking up most of the available space in the middle of the room. There are a variety of instruments bordering on being described as antique, stamped with the identifying mark of the university strewn about on every available surface, including some teetering stacks of books piled on the floor. It's impossible to know what the walls look like, as every available inch is covered by overlapping pieces of parchment and paper covered in scrawled notes and diagrams. There is no window, and the lack of circulation makes the air thick and heavy with the scent of incense and lamp oil.

It is a decided fire hazard.

Vannwinkle moves over to the basin and waves his hand over the surface. Only as the image of sun-bleached stone and rolling waves disappears does Thosar realize that the astrologian was conducting a scrying. "I've been trying to locate my daughter," he explains. "Shandie was something of a historian herself, you know, an archeologist. She was in Telmur that day, but I haven't been able to find her since. The spell doesn't fail, so she can't be dead, but it's almost as though she's deliberately concealing herself from me. Daft girl, why would she do that?"

Shaking his head to dismiss his own rhetorical question, he turns to Thosar and clasps his hands together. "To business!" he beams. "A meeting of the minds, an exchange of information! Where shall we begin?"

---

Fhiess returns to the university under full daylight and steers well clear of the museum that seemed to provoke such a strong reaction with the brush his employer entrusted to his stewardship. The administration office would be difficult to locate for a novice, as there is little to no consistency in the architecture of the buildings that compose the campus, but Fhiess has the benefit of previous experience.

The building in question is usually quite bustling, it's largest room being a cavernous space filled with desks that would normally be occupied by record keepers and transcribers. Now, however, it is empty and seems larger than ever as Fhiess's footsteps seem to echo like those of a giant.

The door to the headmaster's office stands open, but is at that moment unoccupied. Still, there is a heap of paper on the desk and the lamp is burning, so he must--

"*Ahem*"

The clearing of the throat behind him takes Fhiess out from his reverie. Turning around, he finds a well-dressed, middle-aged gnome wearing spectacles and holding an armload of books. "Pardon me," he says in impeccably articulated Common. As Fhiess stands aside, the gnome brushes past him and steps up on a step stool to deposit the volumes on the surface of his desk.

"The academic term is temporarily suspended," he says. "The normal schedule will be resumed as soon as the crisis is resolved, or we have all adapted to living with it. Whichever comes first."

He looks Fhiess in the eye as he gazes over the rim of his glasses. "Unless there's something else I can help you with?"

---

Despite Barrow's absence, Galen is not overly concerned. Almost as a lark, he puts his skills as a tracker to use to see if he can't find where the dwarf might have gotten off to. It's not his usual quarry, and it's not his usual terrain, but tracking is tracking.

But despite his best efforts, Galen can find no trace that Barrow has even left the inn since they arrived last night.

Fhiess is nervous. He knows he is intruding on the headmaster's time and knows he will need to be careful for what will be a not easily tested man with many manners piling up.

He takes a breath after the headmaster explains the complications of matter, then starts speaking, "Ah, on the contrary I am visiting the university to look for help. It.. has to do with the crisis that has been happening, you see. I am looking for anybody that would know about magical artifacts or somebody that would know somebody that does."

He takes a moment to consider before adding, "I am also looking for a historian, somebody that knows about Telmur's history.."

He pauses, "Ah, well. Knows history.. outside of the scope of what is taught."

Mike M

Nick N
The headmaster smiles at Fhiess as he pulls a handkerchief from his pocket and uses it to clean the lenses of his glasses. "You needn't be so nervous, lad, you're not interrupting anything," he says. "At least nothing important. It's just that I've allowed the scrivener pool to take some personal time off, but even when the wheels of academia grind to a standstill, there's still paperwork to be done. In retrospect, I probably should have asked for some volunteers to assist me. In either event, I'm glad for the distraction. Now let's see here..."

He hops down off his step stool and stares at the ornate ceiling. "Hmmmmmm," he muses as he taps his chin, lost in thought. "Who's still left on campus... Professor Halifad is our senior faculty member in our Arcane Studies department, I'd be surprised if she couldn't answer any questions about your magical artifact. Oh, and Professor Scalis! He's the one you want to speak to if you've any questions regarding esoteric history questions, I don't believe he's gone anywhere. Long way from home, that one. He's probably in the basement of the History Department, guarding his precious books from imagined looters. Just don't... make any sudden moves."

His thought process complete, he lowers his gaze enough to look up at Fhiess's face. "Shall I give you directions, or do you know your way around?"

"Ah, I was a former student here. I should be able to find the historian but I may need directions to the arcane studies since I never went far in that field," he answers.

Whenever Fhiess receives directions, he will seek out the arcane studies first while the directions are still fresh in his mind.

((
A bedroll would be more like a sleeping bag or a stuffed mattress thin enough to be rolled up.
Sorry, I probably should have specified that I was asking about differences as far as if either is better for the party members in different situations, such as if one would be warmer than another. In hindsight, I can see why my question would have been answered with an explanation of bedrolls themselves. Again, sorry about that.

Works for me.
Okay. Do you have a preference for right along that more main road or the extra hex away from it? It doesn't really matter to me. It makes sense that it would be right against that road, but it doesn't have to be.

It'd be fine if you want to keep the tents, but I might recommend a single larger one since that'd retain heat better. Not to mention that Ludwig would need a bigger space anyway. As for generating warmth, Thosar doesn't have a lot directly but does Unseen Servant can tend fires and Firebolt can start them quickly. Both can be used without using spell slots.
A larger one might be nice, though it may be more prone to catching the wind. I was still trying to figure out the best way to handle Ludwig's sleeping arrangements; it is something of a puzzle. Maybe a larger tent that is still the same height as these smaller ones would work.

There is also the question of Barrow's enchanted horses. It might be good to get them some winter adventuring gear as well. Good, but possibly out of Galen's budget for both or all four of them, or however many there are now.))

Unsurprised yet still unsettled by the state of the crackpot's abode, Thosar leads in with his pitch again. "As I had mentioned before, I have records for oneoroi movements taken over the last few years. They are recorded in primordial shorthand, which makes the notes much more compact but rather impossible to read unless you happen to know the language of the elements. You have been attempting to correlate events with celestial movements, I take it. Predicting them?"

He strokes a thin, hairless chin. "I have been looking into the possibility myself, so when you mentioned determining the True Night, it got me interested in seeing if I could help you narrow down the field, perhaps see ancillary events that correlate with this time. Prior to our unexpected exodus, I have compared past events with the movements if the Oneroi to help inform the possibility of future events. I suspect with your more accurate measurements and my historical background, we could improve our collective work." The scholar smiles inwardly. This old crackpot could be just what he needed. Either the work would go far better than expected, or no one would listen to him.

Mike M

Nick N
The headmaster removes a quill from the ink pot upon his desk and writes out the street address to the Arcane Studies department with a deft hand. Almost as an after thought, he flips the card over on the reverse and sketches out a very generalized map. "Here you go," he says cheerily. "The door should be open if Halifad is at work, and she's always at work. The laboratory is all the way at the top of the stairs, hope she can be of some help to you."

According to the map, the department isn't terribly far away from the administration building, but the arrangements of the streets and alleys aren't particularly conducive in facilitating a direct route. Still, the directions are clear enough, and within a few minutes he finds himself outside a tower topped built of white stone and topped with a gleaming dome of copper. Just as the headmaster said, the door is open.

The interior of the tower is cool, lit by clever alchemical lamps that mimic the flickering light of flames but produce no heat. At the center of the tower is a spiraling staircase that stretches up and up and up with wrought iron balconies at each level. By the time he reaches the top, Fhiess is more than a little winded from the exertion and almost falls through the door as he opens it.

The interior of the dome is dominated by a large telescope, and Fhiess belatedly realizes that the dome is in fact an observatory of some sort. There's a notable layer of dust laying over the device, however, indicating that it has not been used in some time. Indeed, the whole space seems to have been repurposed to the point that normal operation of the telescope might not even be possible for all the tables and shelves that would be in the way of the opening and rotation of the dome.

On the far side of the room, a robed woman stands with her back to Fhiess, a large braid the width of a loaf of bread reaching down her back to just above her hip. Looking as though she is conducting a symphony, she waves her hands through the air before an array of levitating books, turning their pages back and forth as her attention alternates between them and whatever lays on the workbench before her.

---

Vannwinkle busies himself as he goes about his room, pulling charts off the walls and scrap pages out from between the covers of books as he assembles his notes. "I'm afraid history is not my area of expertise," he apologizes as he heaps the haphazard collection of data upon a small table. "As I said, my daughter was the history buff. Me, I've always had an eye for the future. Still, if there's any hope that our collaboration may produce anything useful..."

((Anything in specific that Thosar is wanting to learn, or is he only interested in trying to narrow down the occurrence of the True Night?))

((Any events that might be secondary or related to what's going on, like a goblin invasion, more castles from the sky, or the like. Also was curious about a way into Forgerun.))
Thosar takes out a tome. Thick, heavily bound, and secured by multiple leather bonds, it gives the impression of a spellbook but is, in fact, his astronomic notes.

"Fortunately, I am versed well in history. It remains a primary subject of mine despite my divinatory studies. I can provide supplementary notes indicating important dates and events as well as the nature of history best corresponding to categories of celestial events."

He pauses a moment. "By the way, my expedition happens to be aimed toward the North. Would you happen to know a good way into or around Forgerun? My inquiries have thus far been rather fruitless."

Nezumi

((Good dammit, Zelda is eating up all my free time. Time to play catch up. So for Sagishi to find out more about the rings, would it be just another wisdom check for hitting the streets again? I was also thinking about asking Fhiess if he might know something about them since he lived in the town and maybe also hitting up a smith.

He would also suggest that if they'd need fake papers to get into Forgerun, they could not have come to a better place.))

It is only halfway through climbing the stairway in the tower does fatigue and physical strain start to set in. Fhiess never would have imagined a task as simple as climbing stairs would be so.. difficult.

So out of shape, he is forced to pause to let his burning throat calm for a second. He says to himself, "I had never realized until now.. that wizards underwent such intense physical training.."

Then a thought occurs to the bard, "Wizards.. They would have an answer to quickly get up these stairs, wouldn't they?" Wanting to find a similar solution, Fhiess sets down his satchel and begins exploring its contents for one of the Bardic training pamphlets he has. Flipping through it there don't seem to be any spells that would simply let him be at his destination, but he does see one spell that would spare embarrassment at this particular time. "If I cast this, I'll have the stamina of an ox!"

He casts bear's endurance on himself. Soon he feels much more energetic and ready to continue climbing the monstrous spiral stairs.

Fhiess slowly and quietly makes steps into the room, the visual portrayal of the dome's current state and a difference from what it once was. Seeing the woman at her studies, he becomes afraid to bother her. Suddenly, memories or his father being quick to anger when interrupted from studying even a single book enters his mind, causing him to expect the same outcome.

Now worried that he might upset Professor Halifad because of his interruption, he musters up the courage to speak up, "Ah, hello? Pardon my intrusion. I was told you might be able to help with something I was needing to learn about."

((
Zelda is eating up all my free time.
Ah, a very worthy issue to face, or so I hear. I avoid it rather easily: I just don't have a system to play it on yet. Or time to continue my run of Metroid games...

So for Sagishi to find out more about the rings, would it be just another wisdom check for hitting the streets again? I was also thinking about asking Fhiess if he might know something about them since he lived in the town and maybe also hitting up a smith.
Intelligence(Investigation), more likely. Actually, I think I can find a definitive answer if I just have enough time... Aha! Here it is:
Yeah, an Investigation attempt with the rings would represent hitting the streets and trying to work leads rather than studying any books.
Asking Fhiess does sound like a good idea, if only for the character interaction; it doesn't seem like something he is likely to know, but may be possible. And Sagishi should definitely find the biggest, grumpiest smith in town. I believe his name was John.

He would also suggest that if they'd need fake papers to get into Forgerun, they could not have come to a better place.
Fake papers would be cool. What sort might Sagishi be thinking? Galen has a couple items of interest to ask Sagishi when he next gets a chance, actually, after the detour he obviously takes when he fails to find Barrow.

But why take a risk with something like papers when we have an endless supply of mindless, shapeless, invisible servants to dig our way into the city? Well, probably because, while circumventing the issue in such a way would possibly be a tale for the ages, having Thosar sit in a chair under an umbrella directing Unseen Servants for whatever unbearable length of time it would take to get us in may not be the coolest, most exciting answer to the party's problems. In short, Mindless Miner's was a terrible idea.

Mike:
Would you have a preference for the location of the settlement from along the road or a hex away? Along the road makes sense, but it could also be placed in the slightly more remote option; I don't really have a preference.
Would there be any reason to get a bedroll over a blanket beyond just the flavor of the character?

It'd be fine if you want to keep the tents, but I might recommend a single larger one since that'd retain heat better. Not to mention that Ludwig would need a bigger space anyway. As for generating warmth, Thosar doesn't have a lot directly but does Unseen Servant can tend fires and Firebolt can start them quickly. Both can be used without using spell slots.
I suppose my response to this was missed, but I was forgetting a couple things anyway. Silly me, rushing my posts so often.

Anyway, the real issue with a single large tent is that a taller tent may be more prone to catch the wind, but it would be nice, especially since I had been struggling with figuring out how to handle Ludwig's sleeping arrangements. This issue could possibly be solved by just getting one that is larger in the X and Y dimensions and having Ludwig keep his head down. Ludwig would also be the one radiating the most heat, so everyone would want to be in the same tent as him anyway.

Another thing to look into is making a wall of snow to block the wind, but that may not be something that can be done quickly enough to be of much use. If it did work, though, there could be a raised area along the inner side of the wall to stand and and walk on during watches. The party might also want to gather firewood on the way.

And finally, what do we do about Barrow's horses? Are we getting them some winter gear? Are we leaving Barrow and the cart behind?))

((My thought on a larger tent would be something like a yurt with a Ludwig flap to expand the entrance. Low center of gravity with a wide base and conical top with either buried piles or a snow slope to provide some support against the wind if needed. Firewood will be of use, although a dedicated lamp heater might be more convenient depending on how long our excursion lasts.

We may have to leave the cart behind, depending on the conditions around getting into and through Forgerun. If we manage to bring them along, some winter gear is advisable... assuming these are actually living horses.))

((
My thought on a larger tent would be something like a yurt with a Ludwig flap to expand the entrance. Low center of gravity with a wide base and conical top with either buried piles or a snow slope to provide some support against the wind if needed. Firewood will be of use, although a dedicated lamp heater might be more convenient depending on how long our excursion lasts.
A yurt? I don't believe they exist.

While I am a bit lost as to what the party is using for "a dedicated lamp heater," a 10-person yurt could actually be pretty nice. I'm assuming the lamp heater isn't actually a lamp, at least.
We may have to leave the cart behind, depending on the conditions around getting into and through Forgerun. If we manage to bring them along, some winter gear is advisable... assuming these are actually living horses.
It may be prudent to leave them anyway, as the party would otherwise have to bring a cart with them through all the snow, and no dedicated paths on which to take it. The issue with that, of course, is that everything would have to be carried, and the tent might be a bit cumbersome.))

((It will likely need a hood of some sort to better disperse the heat through the tent, but, for what might end up amounting to some manner of portable fire pit, I'm sure something could be worked out. Perhaps it should be raised slightly off the ground?))

Mike M

Nick N
((I'll throw you guys a bone and point out that there's unlikely to be any actual roads in the White Wastes, let alone any suitable ones leading from Forgerun out to the polar region in the first place. Not a lot of horses underground.))

((Good dammit, Zelda is eating up all my free time. Time to play catch up. So for Sagishi to find out more about the rings, would it be just another wisdom check for hitting the streets again? I was also thinking about asking Fhiess if he might know something about them since he lived in the town and maybe also hitting up a smith.

He would also suggest that if they'd need fake papers to get into Forgerun, they could not have come to a better place.))

((To find out more about the rings would be an Investigation check. To actually lift one would be a Sleight of Hand check on someone wearing it (No need to roll to find someone wearing it). To find out more about the criminal organization would involve finding someone and either deceiving, intimidating, or persuading them into divulging more information.))

((
Mike:
Would you have a preference for the location of the settlement from along the road or a hex away? Along the road makes sense, but it could also be placed in the slightly more remote option; I don't really have a preference.

((We'll go ahead and place it a hex mark away.))

Would there be any reason to get a bedroll over a blanket beyond just the flavor of the character?

((Yeah, it's mostly a flavor thing.))

Mike M

Nick N
Once Thosar manages to acclimates himself to the data schema in Vannwinkle's astrological materials, it seems a trivial matter to cross reference the movements of the spheres with important historical dates that Thosar can think of off the top of his head. Going back beyond the furthest history known with any certitude, several dates leap out as potentially being correlated to some important occurrence. Unfortunately, these volumes are absent any historical context of events happening at the time of observation.

As Thosar studies Vannwinkle's books, the astrologer has a dry chuckle at the elf's question regarding entry to Forgerun. "Around it? Around it? My boy, there is no going around the Forgerun mountains. At least overland." He strokes his beard in thought. "I suppose if one had a boat of sufficient mass, and its keel were clad in enough steel to break its way through ice floes, it may be possible to make the voyage by sea..."

He spends a few seconds in this reverie before coming back to the present. "Well, no sense in spending too much time thinking on that, I'm sure the Royal Navy was lost with the fall of Telmur. No, no, I'm afraid there's no getting around. And Hammerfall is only admitting diplomatic envoys so that we might maintain lines of communication between the Forge Lords and the Telmurian government in exile."

Another brittle laugh escapes his lips. "Do you know what the funny thing is? With the abduction of the Boy King and the catastrophe of that tower, the Regent and I are all that remains of the Royal Council. That makes me second in command of Telmur! Who would have thought I would ever rise to such heights?"

In a fleeting moment of what might be mistaken as introspection and self-awareness, puts a fist to his mouth as his brows knit in consternation. "Also, why did I not foresee such an occurrence?"

---

Halifad glances over her shoulder at Fhiess in mild surprise. She's human, but it's difficult to determine her age. Her silver hair would seem to imply advanced age, but her face appears to be no older than middle-age. She holds up a single finger. "One moment, please."

With a flurry of hand movements and some sub-vocalized chanting, she reorders her work space, sending the books and equipment back to their proper places, neat and tidy.

Her cleanup complete, she turns to Fhiess with a beatific smile. "Now, what can I help you with, mister...?"

Codex updates:

"Fhiess Lovebliss," he introduces, "A former student from the art department. I've returned to the school looking for somebody that would know about something called 'the Endowed', and a magic item that is associated with them."

He brings out a sketch showing his depiction of the crystal in as much detail as he can muster, "This crystal is supposed to be of great importance to the Endowed, but we're not quite sure what it does or where it comes from. Perhaps you would know more about it, or know somebody that does?"

Top Bottom