• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reign of Fear: A NeoGAF DnD 5e Play by Post Campaign

Nezumi

((Yeah I think technically Sagishi still has it. And I wanted to suggest that Sagishi has jumped of Ludwig a bit before they made contact. How does the area look? I.e. are there enough bushes etc. that Sagishi could sneak around and determine who the person is that the crystal points towards? Which just leaves the question how he would inform Fhiess of who it is. Maybe different bird calls?))

<Oops, yeah. I forgot Fhiess gave it back to Sagishi. I'll also consider Fhiess worrying about how people will react to seeing a fox a retcon. I'm not sure if Fhiess would understand different bird calls.>

Once Fhiess remembers that he had passed the crystal to Sagishi, he stops rummaging in his bag. He responds, "Ah, of course."

He fails to think of a valid reasoning for being in this part of town, so he attempts to drive the conversation past the thought, "I should ask since we had all witnessed the tragedy at the procession- how had the well being of the people there fared since then? I know there was a group of tieflings there that we never heard back from."

Nezumi

When the first glimpse of the party they are following comes into view and Ludwig slows down to a canter, Sagishi leaps from Fhiess' lap and vanishes into the bushes on the roadside. When he has reached the party of elves he transforms into a human again and crouches in the bushes. He gets out the crystal and tries to determine which is the individual it points to.

Stealth: 1D20+7 = [13]+7 = 20

Mike M

Nick N
((Mike:
I had been considering having Galen follow behind the Gubernatorial Pursuit Force on foot, but have been having issues finding the proper rules to determine exactly how much faster to expect Ludwig to travel, and am therefore unsure on if Galen would bother trying or if he would stay behind. I do not know if I'm just looking in the wrong places or if it's because the only information I have had available the past few days has been what is in the grand "hypertext D20 SRD." Basically, Galen would want to approach a short distance behind his companions rather than show up with them, as though he were just another traveler on the road. If it's not too late, of course, I could ask about taking advantage of Sagishi's opened spot and being dropped off a short distance away. I had also been hoping to see what Nyx would do, but it seems events are already in motion.

((I'm not sure what the exact rules are short of calculating movement speeds and the distance to the governor, but I'll say that even accounting for the weight of equipment and riders, Galen would need a horse to keep pace with a giraffe.))

Mike M

Nick N
((Also, I wasn't entirely clear on this point, but Crullus and his men are humans.))

As Crullus patiently explains to Fhiess that he and the regent were evacuated via magical means by a court astrologer that the governor had initially taken for a loon, Sagishi is able to approach unnoticed without effort. It's a good thing that he's not a hobgoblin spy...

Drawing forth the crystal, the pulsing mote within that indicates direction has increased its frequency that it's practically a steady glow. No matter how Sagishi holds or points the crystal, the light remains unequivocally aligned toward Crullus.

Nezumi

Having determined the target Sagishi ponders how to best inform the others of his findings. Just popping up might not be the best idea but then again...
Not knowing any other way he transforms back into a fox and darts out of the bushes, directly at Crullus, he dashes through the man's legs and lets out a short sharp yelp before vanishing into a thicket on the other side of the road, hoping that the others understood his signal.

The signal in conjunction with the fact that Thosar basically explained that the gem's signal is connected to Crullus makes it pretty easy for Ludwig to get the confirmation. He'll wait a little longer for Fheiss to make a pitch, but he's growing impatient, and now that he's seen they're a group of paladins, doesn't quite get why they're being so roundabout. If the topic isn't broached soon and Crullus begins to depart, Ludwig decides he'll take matters into his own hooves

"I see, so your party had also left the premises quickly then."

Fhiess momentarily enters a panic when an orange blur darts its way through the crowd. It happens before he can ask about their group's future plans. He gives a nervous laugh then tries to play it cool, "That isn't something you see every evening. Where does your company plan on heading off to, anyway?", he finally manages to ask, hoping that if they can't keep the governor occupied, they might go to where he is at a later time.

Mike M

Nick N
Crullus's horse chuffs and sidesteps slightly as a random fox darts past, across the road, and into the foliage on the other side. A well-trained beast of seeming infinite patience, as opposed to its rider, who's patience is growing increasingly strained with Fhiess's small talk.

"We're bound for the Castle Stonegate in Durmas," he says, lifting his sash from his breast with his thumb to draw attention to the mark of the green dragon on it. "It is a rather long journey, and I know not what has transpired in my absence. I would prefer to not be delayed any more than absolutely necessary."

Fhiess would know that a trip to anywhere in Westreach would involve traveling south to Remdormo, then west to the Pillars of the Sky and navigating the mountain pass. Even making good time, that's a week-long journey at the least.

((
I'm not sure what the exact rules are short of calculating movement speeds and the distance to the governor, but I'll say that even accounting for the weight of equipment and riders, Galen would need a horse to keep pace with a giraffe.
Okay; thanks for the ruling.
I kind of expected as much, but I also did not want to bother Ludwig with it if it could be helped.

This being said, it seems Galen is being a bit of a bother. Axel, with Sagishi making more space by curling up as a fox on Fhiess' lap, would Ludwig be willing to bring Galen along and drop him off an inconspicuous distance -though within 500 feet- away from the pursued party? Though he does not expect any issues, Galen would like to be around in case things turn to violence, so, while he would be that inconspicuous distance away, he would have his bow in hand, though mostly hidden behind his back, and ready for action. His goal would be to appear to any who saw him as some random traveler on the road.

This is, of course, as long as it does not die by Mike's power of veto.))

((Yeah, that's fine if he allows it. The way things are going right now, Ludwig's just going to tell the guy why they're really there, talk to him paladin to paladin, and see if he's able to impart his essence to the gem or figure out how it works if Fheiss's diplomacy doesn't work out. In the event he's some kind of evil government paladin and tries to swipe the gem, Galen's presence certainly wouldn't hurt.))

<Ah, sorry. I was super tired last night and I was waiting for Ludwig's post. I'm still not sure if up front saying "oh, and we're here to take life essence from you" would resonate well with the Paladin, though>

Nezumi

((Totally dumb question but since it is coming up over and over again, where exactly was it explained that the crystal will take a 'life essence' of a person? I'm trying to remember where this was brought up, but it wasn't in any of the Halifax posts so... ))

((The identify spell basically said that the crystal is a mix of sending stone and lich phylactery. It stores the intangible thing that the Endowed have, which is sort of like a life essence. I don't think it's lethal or debilitating.))

<So wait.. Fhiess apparently knows the route. Perhaps based on past experience or understanding trade routes, that he might know a faster route that would let the Paladins stay an extra day.>

Nature: 1D20+1+3 => (19 + 1 + 3) = 23 (If nature doesn't apply, then that's still a 19 or 20 roll)

Mike M

Nick N
Fhiess wracks his brain, trying to see if he can recall another way to Crullus's destination that might be faster and useful for leverage in convincing the governor to remain at least one more day.

But he has to admit to himself what he already knows; there's only the one pass through the mountains from the interior of Aglea to Westreach, and they're already on the fastest route to Remdormo already. Even if he were to come up with a quicker route, Crullus would probably only use that information to return all the quicker.

Crullus coughs into a gauntleted fist. "It gladens my heart that any were able to survive the disaster," he says. "Perhaps we will meet again."

He spurs his horse, and the group begins moving again, though not at any speed that someone running couldn't keep up until fatigue overtook them.

((Heh, glad you posted you were waiting KM. I was waiting for Fheiss to wrap up, so we would have had quite the catch-22 there. Looks like Crullus and company are moving anyway, so here goes Ludwig's attempt.))

Ludwig waits patiently while Fheiss talks to Crullus. As the group of paladins begins to return to the road without a single mention of the crystal, the J'raffa is on the verge of facehoofing. He mutters "Oh for fuck's sake," gallops after the group, and calls out "I don't know why my friend was beating around the bush so much to a group of paladins, but yeah, I didn't run out here from Bellows to tell you about goblins and gnolls!"

"In the aftermath of the attack on the city, we met an old man. He claimed he was from a world that had fallen to the guy who made the black tower, told us that we, and other people around the world, have been endowed with some power that can stop him, and gave us a crystal to find those people, at which point he disintegrated. The crystal pointed your way, which makes us think you got some endowed essence in you or something."

He fumbles around for the crystal, looks to Fheiss, then remembers Sagishi's darting trick. "Oi! Sagishi! Get over here with the crystal! These are paladins we're talking to, not bandits! No need for all this subterfuge and shit!"

Assuming the crystal is brought to Ludwig as continues to pace with Crullus's horse, he says "This is what I was talking about. As you can see, the light from it is motioning your way. I don't really trust government officials and, on a normal day, wouldn't be chasing after you or talking to you at all. But this is bigger than any of us. I'm not speaking to you as J'raffa to a governor, or as adventurer to a noble." Ludwig begins to channel, his hooves becoming a pale blue color as divine energy flows around him. "This is paladin to paladin, about the best lead we have to save Dio and do something about that tower. If you have any idea how this crystal works, how to move whatever extra essence got put in us after the tower arose, it could very well be a life or death matter."

Nezumi

Fhiess' blundering about is almost painful to watch for Sagishi. If their journey were to continue smoothly it was time that they got some confidence into that boy. Back in Nodoff that would have been a simple matter of getting him to a bar with some friends and have him miraculously win a competition for the attention of a beautiful lady. Of course the lady in question had been hired by the very same friends that were doing their best to pretend how devasted they were about their loss. This triumph combined with a night in the professional hands of a very professional woman usually had done the trick. Sure, there had been a couple of unfortunate instances, where the boy in question had mistakingly assumed to have found the love of his life, and also one rather funny case in which it had been the other way around, but all in all the method had proven to be quite successful.

Still, somehow Sagishi doubts that in Fhiess' specific case the attention of a pretty lady and a good night's fucking would be enough to straighten the young man's backbone. Some more drastic methods were needed to shake him up, Sagishi just didn't know yet what they would be. He might have to talk to Ludwig and the rest about this...

Thinking of the devil, the J'raffa's voice interrupts Sagishi's thoughts. Apparently Ludwig seems their situation is safe enough and so Sagishi transforms back before stepping out of his hiding place. He greets Crullus and his entourage with a slight nod of his head."Govenour."

As Ludwig goes on with the explanation, he gets out the crystal and indicates the rapidly pulsating light while the J'raffa speaks.

<Not really, I think had I thought to have Fhiess talk about their role as Endowed and not what the crystal probably does he probably would have, but my brain just didn't want to consider that angle.>

Unfortunately, Fhiess' concerns with politeness and trying to buy time have left him unable to come up with the proper way to actually introduce the concept of Endowed. When Ludwig leaps in to talk about it, Fhiess trembles, realizing how simple it actually could have been.

He probably won't be asked to handle matters of diplomacy anymore.

Mike M

Nick N
((It was pretty in keeping with what we've seen from Fhiess so far, LOL))

Crullus takes in Ludwig's words, a neutral expression on his face as the J'raffa spins a tale that would seem ludicrous and outlandish had they not all experienced it first hand. "Yes," he says with a distant expression. "I've had dreams of a man such as you describe. He stands before me, looking frantic as he tries to tell me something, but no words escape his lips. Then, before the dawn breaks, he blows away into sand and I awake."

Clenching his fist before his face, he studies it contemplatively. "I have noticed I've been possessed of a certain... vitality since then. I had taken it for the effects of adrenaline at first, but the effects do not wane. Endowed... yes, that is a good word to describe it."

The rest of the men seem startled at Sagishi's unexpected emergence, but Crullus is too taken by the events unfolding around him to react. He gazes upon the crystal for a moment before extending his open hand. "May I?"

Nezumi

((Yeah KM, definitely count me towards the people that thought this was intentional :D Don't worry, Sagishi will absolutely love to come up with ways that are to strengthen Fhiess' confidence but will probably lead to him being even more startled ;) ))

Sagishi throws a quickly glance at his comrades, sure this guy looks trustworthy, at least in the more common sense of the word, but just handing him the crystal that had been entrusted to them... What if the unheard words of the old man in the governor's dream had been curses that told him to go to hell?

The moment of doubt passes and though still reluctant, Sagishi hands over the crystal, but doesn't leave it out of his sight a single moment. If the paladin tries anything funny he'll be ready to snatch it back with a moment's notice.

((I thought it was Fheiss being Fheiss initially too. It's all good. In terms of character induced complications, "almost botching a diplomacy moment by awkwardness" isn't any worse than "trigger an owlbear ambush" or "almost force the party to fight Baphomet." :p))

When Crullus asks for the crystal, Ludwig gives Sagishi a nod, motioning him to let the other paladin see it.

Fhiess tries to save face, scratching the back of his head, "I-.. I was meaning to get to that."

He hopes nothing bad happens once the governor receives the crystal.

Mike M

Nick N
The crystal flares when it enters into Crullus's hand, illuminating his face with its golden glow. "Yes," he says, more to himself than anyone else. "Yes, I think I understand."

The awe vanishes from his voice as his mouth turns down into a slight frown. The glow dies down to what it was prior to his handling of it. He passes it back to Sagishi. "The crystal, it--well, spoke to me isn't quite the right word, but I understand what it wants from me. But I am afraid I cannot relinquish it. Not yet." He waves toward the beam of light weaving its way over the horizon to the west. "Not until I've had the chance to face whatever lies at the end of that beam in the heart of my constituency. Once I have seen to that, I promise I will pledge this borrowed power to your quest if you ask it of me."

Nezumi

The crystal vanishes back into Sagishi's pocket as soon as the governor has released it even though the last shimmer of mistrust has vanished from his mind and expression. He nods.

"Well, if you take care of whatever it is that causes this light over in the west, that's one thing we don't have to worry about. If you don't manage...," the kitsune shrugs, "... we'll end up in your part of the world sooner or later anyway. So I'm fine with you going along for now." He looks at the rest of his party. "What do you guys think?"

Ludwig nods in agreement. "We need to hurry back to Bellows for tomorrow's expedition anyway, and we have an idea of where to find him when that's done. He's holding on to it for what sounds like a good cause, so yeah, sounds reasonable to me."

((
I'm sorry guys, I was seriously drawing a blank at what I was supposed to say and ended up panicking.
I'll just be redundant and say it: I had thought for sure it was intended, as it seems quite in line with Fhiess' character. And even if it was by accident, Ludwig got to have an actual friendly chat with a government official. I think everything went well on your part.
Totally dumb question but since it is coming up over and over again, where exactly was it explained that the crystal will take a 'life essence' of a person?
This has already been addressed, but I'll just add that I keep claiming the rock devours people's souls.

Galen will be pleased to not have to shoot anybody.))

Relieved that the crystal seems to only take some kind of excess life and not... his actual life and making him a husk, Fhiess smiles and nods, "I'm sure fate will have us meet again, and with success to hear."

Mike M

Nick N
((I think that's it for Bellows. If anyone wants to do anything on the way to Hammerfall, let me know, otherwise I'm just going to do another travel montage and move things along.))

((Once per day during the montage, Keranos is going to put some slight distance between himself and the wagon, get out of sight, and shout to the heavens for Talos to show himself. He will not use special effects, so he shouldn't draw attention from the rest of the party, but he's also not being super secretive about it either, so if someone specifically tries to follow him then they'll be able to without any trouble))

((Galen hasn't really anything in Bellows, though he does have a couple questions for some of his companions on this last night before departure.
For Sagishi: Would Sagishi be interested in trying to make a harness with attached block and tackle so that one could easily pull themselves up instead of climbing, and what are Sagishi's thoughts on sleeping gas bombs?

For Ludwig: Galen would like to ask about the Hegemony of Dragons, and it is probably best to do so while not in Avrice's company.

Just to double-check, how long does the party remain in Bellows before heading out with the good Ambassador?

During the trip itself rather depends on if other party members have anything going on.

I also did my NaNoWriMo for the day, and have the tale of Galen's perfectly normal shopping experience in Bellows. It actually turned out to be rather long, so just adding it to this post might not work the best. Is there some preferred method for sharing this uninteresting string of words?

In any case, here's the result of Galen's shopping:
  • Mage Slayer Bow Enhancement
  • Winter Clothes (3)
  • Giraffe Winter Clothes
  • Blankets (10)
  • Giraffe Blanket
  • Yurt (10 Occupant)
  • Sled
  • Block and Tackle (4)
  • Grappling Hook
  • Dagger
  • Quarterstaff Walking Stick
  • Healer's Kit
  • Heavy Rope (4)
  • Normal Rope (2)
  • Iron Spikes (20)
  • Sacks (10)
  • Torches (15)
  • Shovel
  • Backpacks (3)
  • Sledge Hammer
  • Pitons (20)
  • Oil Flasks (15)
  • Lantern (Type Pending)
The lantern type is pending because Galen has a little more than enough to make it a bullseye lantern rather than hooded. In other words, whichever type is prefered by the party is what the party is getting.

Galen has also relieved himself of funds through the magics of:
  • Giraffe Armor Funding
  • Secret Projects with Giraffes
  • Postage - No Giraffes Required
So, basically, Galen has almost no money now, but he has enough to possibly help buy stuff to burn in Thosar's brazier if there is need for something other than wood.

And finally, in regard to Galen's letter, before sending it, he adds to the end the following spoilers:
So Let it be Written: Sine Die said:
My group has engaged with an encampment of goblins in the woods, and it is through this that we have learned of the meddling of one goblin god, Maglubiyet, who is gathering all manner of goblinoids under the banner of the Red Hand. Elves, it seems, bear the brunt of their hatred.

Even with this troubling news, we make preparations to venture north, beyond Forgerun, in our task to stand against the forces at work against our world. In the event we return, we may be heading your way before long, toward Westreach or Landsend, I do not know.

I look forward to that time, should Fate smile down upon us.
Galen
Thanks for keeping that safe, Fhiess.))

((The day after meeting with Paladin Governer Crullus, we meet Avrice in the morning and head out with him following breakfast unless anyone has further business.

The lantern type is probably better as a bullseye, since most of the party can see in the dark. Don't worry too much about purchasing fuel for the brazier. A day's worth of firewood is generally a copper and starter oil isn't terribly pricey either. Thosar can purchase them as well since he has some gold to spare. Not sure how long we plan to stay up North, but I figure 10 day's worth is a safe bet without overloading ourselves.))

Nezumi

((@Galen I'm not sure whether Sagishi can actually pull of to build such a harness, his use of tinker tools was limited to build fireworks. As for the sleeping gas bombs I guess if someone taught him how to create a sleeping gas from different dry components he could probably make that into a bomb, but I don't think he would know that without anyone telling him. Let's hear Mike's&#8203; ruling on both cases.

Other than that I don't have anything else to add. I guess during the journey Galen and him will continue their longbow training and Sagishi will every now and then make some friendly quips on behalf of Barrow because of the Peaseblossom incident. Dress the fairy up like a monster and have her jump out at him and stuff.))

((
I'm not sure whether Sagishi can actually pull of to build such a harness, his use of tinker tools was limited to build fireworks. As for the sleeping gas bombs I guess if someone taught him how to create a sleeping gas from different dry components he could probably make that into a bomb, but I don't think he would know that without anyone telling him. Let's hear Mike's&#8203; ruling on both cases.
I don't know if Sagishi actually can, either; Galen is asking because he seems like the type to be able to pull off the harness and might at least like the idea of sleeping gas bombs. Galen won't be too terribly disappointed in him if these are beyond his limitations.

I guess during the journey Galen and him will continue their longbow training
Yeah, would that be three days in Bellows before heading out, or two, as far as keeping track is concerned?

The lantern type is probably better as a bullseye, since most of the party can see in the dark.
Okay. Also, something to consider:
the lantern can be carried ahead of the group by Thosar's Unseen Servant, so an attack on the lantern won't be directed toward a party member.

Don't worry too much about purchasing fuel for the brazier. A day's worth of firewood is generally a copper and starter oil isn't terribly pricey either. Thosar can purchase them as well since he has some gold to spare. Not sure how long we plan to stay up North, but I figure 10 day's worth is a safe bet without overloading ourselves.
Just figured I'd ask in case wood, for some reason, wouldn't do the trick. I would think the party could gather firewood on the way to Forgerun anyway, so that could help keep costs down, if it's worth the effort at all. Galen picked up 90 lantern-hours of oil, if that needs to be factored into purchases. It's cheap, but he didn't want to have too much.

We could also be terribly ridiculous and have
the Unseen Servant carry a lit brazier the whole journey.
))

Mike M

Nick N
((Yeah, a harness and sleeping gas bombs are outside of Sagishi's areas of expertise. For keeping track of days, this is the first full day in Bellows. You got in the previous evening, and Avrice will be waiting to leave the following morning.))

((
For keeping track of days, this is the first full day in Bellows. You got in the previous evening, and Avrice will be waiting to leave the following morning.
Okay, so three days on the road to get to Bellows, including the first evening there; one full day in the city; and leaving in the morning. So it will be a count of four days when the party departs?

Also, Axel, while it's on my mind,
Ludwig could definitely reveal the archer shields before the party leaves. Since it's been discussed in spoilers the whole time.
If I wanted to share a wordy tale of shopping, would it be best done with a maximum word count per post in two successive posts, or might it be good to leave it in a single post?))

Mike M

Nick N
((Your call how you want to post it. I have to write up there next part, so it'll at least give everyone something to read in there interim.))

((
Your call how you want to post it. I have to write up there next part, so it'll at least give everyone something to read in there interim.
It'll give everyone something to read, as well as trust issues directed at Galen for sure. Black magics and all in this story.

But here it is, a walk through parts of Galen's stay in Bellows, even broken into three separate sections:))

((A Venture into the Artisans Quarter))

Once the party has settled in for their stay in Bellows, has acquired and distributed a greater store of funds, and has had a chance to talk things over, Galen hits the streets. His first order of business is to see to his bow. While well-used, it remains in good condition, but such maintenance is not quite what he has in mind. Galen makes his way to the Artisans Quarter, examining each shop or stand he passes and trying to get a feel of the most reliable of the peddlers of magical enchantments.

”You," states a hoarse voice from behind him. ”You with the curvy stick."

Galen turns around to find a small shop &#8211;just a room within a larger building, opened up with a wide, uncovered window with a hinged shelf in strangely the exact same dimensions as the window itself&#8211; manned by what appears to be a young man with wild blonde hair. ”Yeah, you," the man says nonchalantly in his raspy voice. ”You're the one. I know exactly what you are looking for, even if you don't know yet yourself." He ducks below the opening and rummages through the piles of objects that fill the space.

”You&#8211;" Galen begins before he is cut off as the man rises with a finger held up to silence him.

”See here." The shop's keeper drones, indicating a thick blue cloth in his hand. ”This is a headband of great power: when worn over one's eyes, it magically afflicts the bearer with temporary blindness."

”But why do I want such a thing?" Galen questions.

”Why, because unsight is a rare gift," his new acquaintance explains: ”With this headband, you can prevent yourself from seeing horrible sights that you cannot bear; you can face the sun directly and not go blind; you can even hide from monsters simply by not seeing them." The man's face never changes as he speaks, and his lips hardly move as the words escape his mouth. ”This is truly a wonder, good sir with the curvy stick. Truly a wonder indeed."

”I am sorry," Galen says carefully, ”but my curvy stick relies on my sight, and, using my sight, it protects me, and more importantly, it protects my friends. If I cannot see, my curvy stick cannot see, and if my curvy stick cannot see, everyone will die, and my curvy stick will fall into a great, dark sadness. It, also, will not be able to see, as I cannot see if I am dead." Galen looks very seriously at the man. ”You would not want that, would you?"

”No, good sir with the curvy stick, you are right: your curvy stick must be able to see. I understand." The man's face remains unchanged. ”If I may, I will offer you instead a flask of water that will take away your thirst for five minutes."

”As intriguing as that sounds," Galen answers, ”I have something else I would like."

The man looks at Galen expectantly.

”Silence sounds really good right now."

The man lifts a finger and disappears below sight. When he returns, he is holding a glass jar.

”The Silent Jar," he says. ”It holds no noise inside, and it releases its silence when opened."

”Uh huh." Galen says. He hums for a few seconds, acting as though deep in thought. ”Yeah, I think we're done here."

Galen continues on his way, and the man calmly says as he leaves, ”Maybe another time, good sir with the curvy stick." Galen does not intend to offer the man another time.

Having had this encounter, Galen decides to expedite his decision-making and, no longer intending to look at too many more possibilities, he finds a place that appears reasonable. He enters the building and finds himself in a room with soft, light blue carpeting, plain walls, a couple chairs sitting in a corner, and a counter running from one wall all the way to the other side. On a small cushion at the end of the counter lies a bronze-colored lizard, sleeping, and behind the counter &#8211;opposite the lizard&#8211; is an open doorway to another room. The room Galen is in is well-lit by a chandelier spinning slowly about a foot away from the ceiling.

He walks up to the counter, pulling out his bow and holding it at his side. Nothing happens, and he gets ready to knock on the surface before him so as to signal his presence, but, as he does so, a woman hurriedly strides out from the other room, head down, fiddling with some object in her hands. Her burgundy robe billows about her legs, and her chestnut hair is unkempt. On her shoulder is perched what appears to be a small, pale blue dragon, and a pair of glasses with nearly rectangular lenses rests atop her head. She can be heard muttering to herself as she walks.

Suddenly, she stops, silent, and slowly turns toward Galen, raising her gaze to look at him. She blinks a couple times before quickly shoving the object onto a shelf below the counter.

”Sorry about that," she apologizes. ”Servi normally&#8211;" She stops when she looks at the lizard off to the side. ”Is sleeping." She takes a deep breath. ”Is there something you're looking for?" She pauses before remembering that, perhaps, it might be a good idea to continue. ”We&#8211; I mostly deal with enhancing... magical enhancements to otherwise generally mundane objects." She looks him up and down before adding, ”That is what you're looking for, yes?"

Galen lifts his bow and places it on the counter. ”I'm just looking for something to add to this," he explains.

The woman reaches for the longbow, pausing to look at him for permission, and picks it up. She pulls her glasses in front of her eyes and examines the bow through their sapphire lenses. Once she has looked at it, she returns her attention to Galen. ”Maybe you would like it to send forth projectiles that scream gibbering nonsense at a target in Draconic?" she asks excitedly, a grin appearing on her face.

Galen shakes his head. ”I'm afraid not," he answers. ”I am looking for something decidedly more useful in these times." The woman behind the counter gives him a disappointed look, and he continues. ”After the recent events in Telmur, my traveling companions and I have run into a couple difficulties along the road, and it nearly ended in one of our deaths. I need to be able to prevent a repeat of that near tragedy."

He receives a nod in response. ”Understood. Brutes are taking advantage of the chaos that has erupted from the city's crushing destruction and are waylaying groups of armed travelers." A pause. ”I don't think arrows can be made to heal the target."

Galen smiles. ”No, and I don't think a couple of my companions would be too thrilled to be that target.

Maybe something for a powerful enemy." He pauses before asking, ”Something anti-mage?"

The woman cocks her head to the side, mouthing silent syllables as she thinks. She puts the bow down.

”Anti-mage?"

”Possibly."

”And maybe Draconic gibbering nonsense? Perhaps with a code word?"

”Maybe another time."

”A sparkling trail of color behind the arrows?"

”Is a trail to where they come from. Probably not the most useful."

”Just something anti-mage?" She places her elbow on the counter, resting her cheek in her palm.

”For now, at least."

”Tea?"

”Pardon?" Galen gives a quizzical look.

”Would you like some tea?"

”Not right now, thank you."

She sighs, pulling a few papers out onto the counter and looking at them quickly. ”It looks like Anti-mage will cost you five-hundred gold coins. That's okay with you?"

”It'll be acceptable."

The woman's eyes suddenly go wide, and she stands up straight, thrusting out her arm toward Galen.

”I'm terribly sorry!" she exclaims, ”We never introduced ourselves. Ariadine Ven."

Galen accepts the offered hand and shakes it. ”Galen."

She smirks. ”I'll get to work on your bow. Come by tomorrow."

Galen makes it out of the building alive; he's certainly seen stranger. He makes his way to the mercantile district, where he picks out a specific shop to visit.

((Traveler's Stop))

The inside of the store has seemingly random tools and merchandise strewn around the floor and shelves, and a large, pale-skinned man greets him as he enters. ”Good day," the man drawls, ”and welcome to Travelers' Stop, the stop for all your traveler needs. What may I help you with, traveler?"

”I'm here to speak with your boss, Mr..." Galen trails off.

”Carlos," the man offers. ”Carlos Smidgen."

”Mr. Smidgen. I am here to speak with your boss."

”I am sorry, traveler, but he is unavailable. Perhaps you would like to leave me with a message?"

”Very well," says Galen. ”Please inform him that&#8211;"

The two are interrupted by an excited voice. ”Galen!" it cries. ”Galen Keene! I thought I shouldn't be seeing you again." A small gnome scurries out from the back, stopping before Galen. ”Thought you'd turn up dead. Food for the foxes for sure." The gnome glances around, as though he expects someone might join them. ”What can I do you for? Always happy to help you big folk." A pause as Carlos experiences the exchange, shocked. ”You've gotten older," the gnome adds.

Galen crosses his arms and slowly shakes his head. ”You certainly do have an imagination, Ostad. Food for the foxes." The gnome looks like he might interject, but Galen continues. ”As it turns out, I've found myself in a bit of an odd situation," he explains. ”You see, with a large structure falling from the sky and crushing an important city" &#8211;Galen gives a sidelong, fleeting look at Carlos&#8211; ”I've need to prepare for winter. You can help me with that, right? A few sets of good, warm clothes &#8211;as warm as you've got&#8211; and several blankets?"

The gnome, Ostad, shakes his head violently, trying to sort things out. ”A large structure is creating winter?"

”Not quite. I need to prepare for winter."

”All right, all right. Not my place to question your madness."

”I also need a special set of winter clothing," Galen adds. ”Something large. Think like a horse, but longer legs and a much longer neck. Make it majestic."

The gnome looks at him with a blank face. ”An odd request."

Galen nods. ”I will also be needing a yurt. Ten occupant. My size."

The gnome now looks at him like he's gone mad. ”Whatever could you need a party-size tent for?"

”Yurt. Camping with the elves."

”Camping with the elves? In a tent? The old man's mad. Elves don't camp. What manner of crazy story did he come up with this time? Flying goblins?"

”Flying goblins on horseback, I'm afraid." Galen laughs. ”Always one for stories, now isn't he?" Before the gnome can answer, Galen returns to business: ”I could also use a walking stick."

((Artisans Quarter: Redux))

The next day, after Galen has added to and sent a certain letter &#8211;requiring another trip to visit a bewildered gnome&#8211; he makes his way carefully through the Artisans Quarter, making certain to avoid the area where he had been introduced to a little shop of oddities.

He enters Ariadine's shop and finds her seated behind the counter, hair straight and pulled back, petting her miniature dragon, and his bow waiting on the counter's surface. She looks up with a bright smile, glasses nowhere to be seen. ”Mr. Galen!" she greets him, rising to her feet with her dragon still in hand. ”As you can see, your bow is ready."

Galen crosses over to the counter. ”I do see. Five-hundred, was it?"

Ariadine nods. ”I do believe so." Her bronze colored lizard climbs up onto the counter, looks at Galen, and begins scurrying across the counter's surface, leaping over the bow with smoke trailing from its mouth.

Galen pulls out the payment, already counted, and hands it over. As he does so, Ariadine places a hand in front of the small dragon in her arms. ”Careful. Aris bites."

After being encouraged to come back for repeat business, Galen once again makes it out alive, and, as he walks away from the building, he hears a sudden thud from a nearby wall, and a raspy voice behind him calmly states, ”Good sir with the curvy stick. It is good to see you again."

((Looking at this again, I clearly need some manner of help.

Or Galen needs to get out more.))

Top Bottom