• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reign of Fear: A NeoGAF DnD 5e Play by Post Campaign

((
Hoo boy, us rising to the challenge here means the next fight will be an ancient white dragon in the icy mountains or something.
Don't be silly; it'll clearly be a Consuming Frostblight Wyrm.

Oh, yeah. Original Creation, do not steal.

The following involves Galen continuing his movement to W,25.))

The arrow sings as it glides through the air, flying true toward the mark and penetrating deep within, the adamantine plating providing little, if any, resistance. Galen watches as the metal beast begins to fall, but, confirming the felling of Oliff's chosen champion, he then casts his gaze quickly about the arena. Several quick steps back and one to the side places him in an even more advantageous position, and he removes two arrows from his quiver, readying one and keeping the other at hand.

Mike M

Nick N
As the steam golem undergoes another assault, a jet of steam sprouts from a puncture wound in its boiler tank, which explodes outward with a deafening CHOOM as the pressure explodes outward, turning the puncture into a blossom of torn metal. The golem's arms fall limp at its sides as it suffers a catastrophic loss of pneumatic pressure, the coals within still burning with ire despite its complete paralysis.

With Oliff's chosen surrogate defeated, the Hectorian Honor Guard immediately ceases their assault, snapping to attention and lowering their weapons. Vess returns down the chamber floor, her own contingent closing ranks around her as she whispers a few hurried words of healing over the only one of their number to be injured.

"No!" Oliff shouts from the promenade level, his fingers wrapped around the gilded bannister. "No no no!"

"The motion is carried!" Vess shouts from below. "We will no longer be denied!"

"You foolish woman, you foolish, foolish woman," Oliff says, shaking his bearded head. "I would have delivered on my promises to you, if only you had exercised the patience! I am the bleeding Forge Lord, now, don't you realize what kind of power that comes with it? Think of all that we can accomplish, we'd be able to progress our agenda with ten times the ease we would have otherwise!"

"There is but one item on my agenda," Vess retorts, "and you sold it out for a bit of fleeting power!"

"Fleeting? Vess, my dear, I think you underestimate my political acumen."

"Do I? Because from where I sit, you have already lost all the political capital you might have possessed, burned to cinders in your attempt to squash your own signature piece of legislation! You can expect calls for a no confidence vote within the day, your reign is over before it even began."

Snarling in rage, Oliff wheels away from the balcony and storms off. The Honor Guard file out of the chamber after him as Keranos's fog begins to dissipate, leaving the catatonic steam golem as a monument to the Forge Lord's failure.

"I cannot thank you enough," Vess says as the lawmakers begin to trickle back into the room to view the aftermath of the forcible reconsideration. "I believe I can accomplish what needs be done from this point forward under my own power, I will gladly relinquish what was gifted to me so that you can complete your quest."

"The pleasure is all ours," says Keranos, his eyes fixed on the door through which Oliff just exited. "Ms. Talbot, we may not be able to stay here to help you deal with him. I recommend you see the leader of the Chamber of Rios if you require some assistance in bringing that traitor to heel. And please take heed of the threat of mind-controlling crystals. I believe the Majority Leader of Ance would be an excellent resource, if you wish to coordinate your efforts."

He finally turns to face Vess and smiles warmly. "We congratulate you in your victory, and I am eager to see how you and your people contribute to the betterment of Forgerun society. I know you dedicate your worship to Ellistrae, but please remember that on this day, the God of Storms was also on your side."

He gives Vess his last remaining Holy Symbol replica, then looks down and cups his authentic symbol in his hand. "I'm going to need to get more of these made. Let's hope Forgerun's glass blowing industry is as robust as its smithing industry."

((Not sure who's holding the crystal but I guess that person should hand it over to Vess now?))

Fhiess releases the spell he cast on the warriors so that they aren't being held against their will.

He falls back, taking a deep breath of relief. Seeing the fight resolved so soundly is.. odd. Before he has seen countless people with lost homes starving in the cold near the fallen spire and many hobgoblins killed at their hands. He has yet to become accustomed to the very different tone of the fight, where heroes triumph and nobody dies, but his head continues to ache from stress.

He looks around. He doesn't have the crystal, and he never managed to get to know Vess like the others have. Instead, he approaches Sagishi, climbing between the desks and over the raised steps, calling out, "Sir Sagishi! Did you hear my song..?"

Pausing for a moment, a thought enters his mind, "We still have to finish our deal with the Kin, won't we..?" Another pause, "We need to think of some way to find Peaseblossom."

Ludwig takes a moment to focus on himself, cleansing away the bulk of his wounds and leaving himself just a little scarred and roughed-up looking. With a grin, he says to Vess "Always a pleasure to stick it to the man! Well, I guess by the looks of things, you may be "the man" in a short time, but it looks like we all got what we were shooting for. Congrats!"

((I think Sagishi still has the crystal.))

As the fog lifts and the chamber quiets, Thosar sees that the battle has already ended. While the others congratulate Vess and heal their wounds, he keeps an eye on Oliff's demeanor and looks for a sign of external control or hidden intent.

insight: 1D20+5+1D4 = [2]+5+[1] = 8
However, he is far too distracted by the thrill of victory to notice anything more than the sputtering of a defeated opponent.

Nezumi

Sagishi grins widely as Fhiess clambers towards him. "Of course I did! It'll be my pleasure to listen to you practice from now on, though I will, for the last time, ask you not to call me Sir. Makes me feel older than I am."

He walks towards Vess, while rummaging in his pockets for the crystal. When he finally retrieves it he immediately presents it to the drow woman.

"We are happy that we were able to help you." In answer to Keranos' exclamation he just shakes his head. "We're not finished with this city quite yet." He turns back to Vess again. "I fear we have couple of loose ends that we still must deal with before we can prepare our departure. Foremost of them a missing friend," at this he throws an icy glance at Keranos, letting the so called god know what he thinks about his disregard for other members of their group. "And a wagon load of a nefarious substance in the hands of the local organized crime lord. And then there is still the small matter of people being mind controlled... Honestly, I feel like well be asking for your assistance in return before the day is over."

"Don't look at me like that," Keranos fires back at Sagishi. "You treat that fairy as though she were one of us, but she has only been following us around for her own amusement and causing trouble more than anything else. More likely than not, she simply decided that she was bored and fluttered off to tend to her own business. Don't try to pass off your own guilt at sending her off on some cockamamie spying mission that she CLEARLY was not suited for and frame it as though I'm the one being thoughtless.

"And as for that wagon of 'nefarious substance' in the hands of the crime lord? Perhaps you've forgotten who put it there in the first place? Yes, absolutely, let's waste more time here and imperil the fate of the world because the all-knowing fountain of wisdom that is Sagishi feels bad about what he's done."

Galen slowly climbs down the stairs when Oliff and his remaining force leave, keeping an arrow loosely ready in case he decides to come back and unleash his fury.

As Keranos and Sagishi begin to bicker, though, he places his projectiles back in their quiver and holds out his hand, palm facing forward as if to calm them down.

"Perhaps," Galen says calmly, "there are those among us who do see her -as you put it- 'as though she were one of us.' Her troublemaking? Generally directed at Barrow, and harmless." He keeps his eyes on Keranos. "She is, to some extent, our responsibility, whether by our own choice or not. Can you really leave the most innocent among us in potential peril?

"Now, true, we do have doomsday coming down upon us, but we have not actually secured some manner of passage to get to the wastes themselves. Does this not provide some chance to find our friend before heading out? If some of us were to look, certainly there should be some time to find her before we have our way through the mountain."

Fhiess looks down on the instrument while following Sagishi to rejoin the others. He can play it, but should he really keep such an important family heirloom?

Before Fhiess can offer to give back the instrument, he finds Sagishi and Keranos caught in a bit of a verbal scuffle. He looks between them then attempts to mediate, "Everyone! Let's not bury our time pointing fingers. I'm also to blame for not having the foresight to object to the idea of sending Peaseblossom to scout a location she might not be able to escape from."

With a slight sigh, he approaches Vess, "I'm sorry you had to hear that. We're in somewhat of a panic and there was no way to solve this issue before the vote." He adjusts his standing posture as if to prepare to speak more calmly, "Despite our victory, is there still a chance that Oliff will still attempt to slow down the implementation of the new law? This is relevant for when we revisit the Chamber of Mafun's associates as it will affect a deal we made to get the vote."

<I'm hoping that Oliff's sudden retraction of the vote will be enough of an indication that we can delay giving the Kin the remaining amount of Glurg and buy some time before we know for sure that law is going to be in place>

Keranos looks at Fhiess and Galen and nods. "Yes, I suppose you're both right. No point in standing around bickering. Let's get down to business and finish up here while the day is still young."

He lets a withering stare linger on Sagishi for just a second longer before turning away and focusing his energy on other matters.

Nezumi

Sagishi is about to open his mouth to give Keranos a piece of his mind regarding comradery and loyalty, when Fhiess and Galen swoop in and end the fight before it could begin.

He holds Keranos' stare as the self proclaimed god turns away, answering only with a tiny smile dripped in amused smugness.

((Damn, saw this too late or Sagishi would have gotten all in :D but I guess for the sake of moving things along it is better this way.))

Ludwig sees the argument forming between most of the group when it is resolved before he can even start walking over there. Feeling more ready for a nap than anything else after that fight, the j'raffa opts to mind his own business and leave that disagreement to the others.

Mike M

Nick N
Vess seems somewhat taken aback by the sudden burst of acrimony between those that had worked together to help her and her people only moments earlier, but it is a fleeting expression as things seem to calm down as soon as they started.

Extending an arm, she lays a slender hand upon the pulsing crystal. There is a blinding flash of white, and the crystal dims. The mote within seems perhaps brighter than before, but nowhere near the intensity it had been in her presence. It lazily points in a vaguely northward direction. "Well then," Vess says, adjusting her skirts. "That is that."

"Not necessarily," Barrow mutters. "Oliff can't stop the law from taking effect, not directly. But ye can be damned sure he's going t'pull every procedural rule in the book out of his hat to make it as hard as possible. But even though he be a snake, he still be a political animal. He won't do anything dangerous, not with his power already imperiled the way it is..."

Barrow strokes his beard and frowns. "It pains me t'suggest it," he begins, "but I be thinking I might ought t'stay behind. I don't much care for the cold, and Oliff has left a right proper mess of things. Miss Talbot an'her people are going t'need someone to navigate th'system for 'em, at least in the short term. Now I know that'd leave ye wantin' for me mighty strength, but I've faith enough in ye that ye'd be able t'carry on without me while I work on settin' things t'rights in this blighted hellhole."

Fhiess finds himself engaged directly with Barrow as he is the one that answers his question. He responds, "Something near what I thought.. Though the law may be passed eventually, Oliff's activities may still be important to note."

Once Barrow states his goodbye, Fhiess almost seems startled and blinks, "Ah.. I know that you are well needed here, but I didn't expect to have to say goodbye so suddenly.." He takes a moment to take in the news and nods, "But I understand. I'm sure one of us can handle the horse drawn wagon, assuming we're still allowed to use it?"

Once the conversation has moved on and the tension has decreased somewhat, Keranos sneaks a look at Sagishi when he thinks he's not looking.

The fox-man's happy-go-lucky attitude and his tendency to always come off like he thinks he's wiser and more carefree than everyone else is grating to Keranos. All of his companions have their own personal quirks that could easily get under someone's skin, but Sagishi's unique brand of know-it-all folksiness seems to be specifically engineered to raise Keranos's hackles.

So, with the adrenaline high coming straight out of a life-or-death struggle, combined with Sagishi finally showing some vulnerability and humility for a change, Keranos could not help himself from seizing the moment and lashing out, eager to pour salt in a wound that Sagishi was still trying to heal.

Even so....

"If Peaseblossom was taken by these Kinfolk, then we ought to go directly to the source of the problem. We know where their leader resides, correct? Why don't we go pay them a visit and cut to the chase? Make them regret ever crossing the allies of the God of Storms. We no longer have to play nice in order to secure votes, so let's get down to business. Someone lead the way."

Galen nods. "It does seem they would be a good place to start," he agrees, "however..." He pauses a moment, looking at each of his companions in turn. "It may be worth having someone who has not yet approached them ask if they've seen a missing, easily distracted, friend. We don't need this to be related to some previous deal."

((
"But I understand. I'm sure one of us can handle the horse drawn wagon, assuming we're still allowed to use it?"
I'm sure it's possible, and certainly will be fun. Remember, folks, Galen is not proficient in making friends with wolves.))

<I don't know how horses work in 5e but I remember in previous games as long as you weren't trying to do any special maneuvers that would require handle animal, it was fairly trivial to operate a wagon.>

((Well, maaybee. They are indeed magic, or enchanted in some way, and Barrow didn't need to direct them during travel. However, Thosar has not examined their enchantments, and they have not been thoroughly tested. It is possible they are actually creatures of a shadow plane, disguised to appear as horses, biding their time until they strike.))

((If they do turn out to be nightmares in disguise, those are only like CR 3, so we'll be fine :p.

Yeah, moving things along with the kin sounds good to me))

Mike M

Nick N
Having secured Vess's portion of the power Endowed upon her and seemingly having no further business to attend to in the chambers of the House of Targus, the heroes of the day make their way outside to pursue the next most immediate items on their agenda; First, to determine the whereabouts of the missing Peaseblossom, and second, to secure passage through the tunnel under the mountain leading to the White Wastes.

Opportunity presents itself sooner than expected, as outside the building is the anonymous dwarf who struck the initial bargain on behalf of the Kin, having a private conversation with Speaker Svift of the Chamber of Rios. Upon noticing the Endowed coming their way--because really, who can fail to notice a J'raffa bearing down on them--they cease their discussion. "Well now," begins the bagman, "I hear that you have had a remarkably productive day on the chamber floor today. Nobody has invoked forcible reconsideration since my grandfather's day, and he lived to a ripe old age indeed. And a steam golem, no less! Oh, Oliff must have wanted to defeat you so very badly. I wish I could have been there to witness his chagrin."

Pausing, he removes a silk cloth from the breast pocket of his waistcoat and uses it to clean the lenses of his spectacles. "Am I to assume that you are here to negotiate the price of the second half of the shipment as per our agreement?"

Fhiess steps forward, putting on a genuine smile and responding to the acknowledgement of the news with a cheerful voice, "Oh indeed, Oliff was eager to display his prized weapon, but golems made of cogs and sprockets just aren't battle ready yet it seems." He clears his throat to purchase a thought and settle the tone of his speaking, "But because of Oliff's political bravado, we may need to postpone the delivery of the remaining shipments until we know for sure that he can't negate the vote that was promised."

<Rolling "Persuasian" : 1d20 + 9
Rolling 1d20 + 9
( 19 ) + 9 = 28>

Mike M

Nick N
The bagman heaves a deep sigh as he returns his glasses to their place. "Now, unfortunately, that presents a problem for us," he says. "Our bargain was not conditional on the legislation standing, only on Mafun voting in its favor. I think, under the circumstances, you will agree that we have exercised an extreme amount of patience with you. We struck a deal in good faith, only for you to betray the trust we granted you for your affiliation with one of our own. Or did you think we would not find your little spy among the barrels?

"An unsolicited word of advice, but if you're going to engage in skullduggery, you need to be more selective with your chosen agents."

He looks up again, his eyes like ice. "Her safe return in exchange for immediate delivery of the remainder of the shipment. Oh, and you will be returning Hogan's ring as well."

Fhiess' brow curls slightly. It was inevitable they would have been found out, and it seems like an easy exchange- Oliff's gambit is not guaranteed to work, and they need to get Peaseblossom back..

But why would they hand over a faerie that has undoubtedly gathered information? Although Hogan was likely a very dishonest man under the guise of a merchant of many tricks of the trade, someone like him would still know how to spot someone that is hiding something about their end of a deal. Knowledge which is about to be useful even now.

<Insight roll for if the Kin representative is being honest about releasing Peaseblossom: Rolling 1d20 + 6
( 16 ) + 6 = 22>

Mike M

Nick N
Fhiess's attempt at sizing up the Kin member doesn't reveal much more than the man makes outwardly apparent. He possesses certain core convictions and desires that he won't be swayed from and is generally quite forthright in making those desires known. He seems sincere in his offer to release Peaseblossom, which probably means that the Kin value the chance to obtain the rest of the Glurg with a minimum of fuss quite highly.

Keranos narrows his eyes at the nerve of this arrogant little worm. He mentally delivers a message: Ludwig, Galen, surround this snake so to prevent his escape. Sagishi, in case he slips past them, be ready to pursue.

"I have a counter offer for you," he says menacingly. "We do not take kindly to kidnapping, nor to threats. You will release the fairy immediately, or we will destroy the glurg in our possession, we will seek out and destroy the glurg that has already been delivered, and we will so thoroughly and convincingly disrupt your organization's operations in this city that your masters will live to regret ever crossing us."

He pauses for a beat before adding "Oh, and you're not leaving. You will come with us to deliver this offer, and if it is not accepted then you will not be leaving our custody."

He meets the man's icy stare with lightning ((figuratively)).

Intimidate: [9] + 7 =

Although Fhiess can take advantage of their desperation, he is stopped by thoughts of what would happen should Peaseblossom does get hurt because of a risk.

"Keranos, wait... It's not worth it."

He takes Hogan's ring from his satchel and tosses it to the man, "I'm willing to give you the shipment in return of the pixie's return, but we have to be assured that she will be given back."

Keranos 's lip curls. He doesn't stop Fhiess, but he also does not indicate, with body language or otherwise, that he's backing down.

"You can have the shipment for 10,000 gold," he adds after Fhiess has spoken. "We get the fairy back regardless."

Mentally, he says to Fhiess, These men are bullies, Fhiess. Bad men. You do not cave in to bullies and allow them to push you around. You fight strength with strength. They know how formidable we are, and they know we will retaliate if Peaseblossom is harmed. It will likely never come to violence. Relax.

Around the time the bagman finishes making his offer, Ludwig takes a step forward. "Allow me to interject. While it does seem true that my friends here have added a bit of their own extra conditions to the deal, it appears your side has as well. As I recall when told about it earlier, the deal was to simply negotiate in good faith the sale of the remaining glurg in exchange for Mafun's vote."

As he gets Keranos's telepathic message, he begins to pace so he ends up behind the bagman. "I don't particularly blame you for holding on to Peaceblossom. It's a perfectly rational move for an organized crime syndicate to make. But please understand that our group, myself included, has moral reservations about selling a dangerous poison to such an organization. My friends inexplicably agreed to negotiate doing so, and in acting on that discomfort sent her to see just how bad your possession of it would be, but holding on to her only affirms our worst fears. Without our return, we have a good faith basis to refuse selling any more-" At this point, Keranos has made his harsher, more ultimatum laced counteroffer.

Ludwig's brow furrows, and he says "Okaaay, I guess we're dropping the civilized pretenses that hold deals like this together. The point is clear though, release her or-" He is out-initiatived yet again by Fheiss interjecting over Keranos and offering to give up his ring. The J'raffa puts himself off balance for a moment by throwing his hooves up in the air in exasperation and says "Ok, fuck it! I give up on keeping up with all this, one of you strike a deal with the representative here, and try to be halfway consistent about it. I'm going to craft the phrase Dhura'gar in huge wooden letters and hang it up next time we find ourselves thrown into shaking down a small child or something. FUCK!" With an irritated look, he addresses the bagman one last time and says "Best of luck getting a deal out of our motley crew, it looks like you're going to need it. At least if this falls through so hard we have to go to war to get Peaceblossom back, you can watch the chaos knowing you tried to deal with us like we're a group of rational actors."

Ludwig continues blocking the dwarf's path, but pulls out his woodworking tools and begins carving, having declared a fuck it on this exchange.

Fhiess holds up a hand, as if trying to give pause to the thoughts being put into his head until he can address them at a later time when they can discuss strategies in private. He waits for the dwarf's answer to his decision.

Mike M

Nick N
The bagman looks to Keranos, Ludwig, and Fhiess as the conversation seems to ricochet between the three of them before snatching the ring from the air as Fhiess throws it to him. A slight smile plays upon his lips as he folds his arms across his chest and says, "There seems to be some manner of disagreement among you. Do you need a moment to collect your thoughts and sort your disagreements out? I have time.

"Though I would be remiss if I did not point out that you do not possess nearly the leverage this demanding young gentleman seems to think you do, so allow me to disabuse you of any misconceptions you may be operating under: If any harm comes to me, your friend's life is forfeit. If any harm comes to our operations, your friend's life is forfeit. Moreover, taking any such actions would be placing yourselves in imminent legal jeopardy and subject you to detention by the authorities. Assault and battery, vandalism, and destruction of property just off the top of my head, though I'm certain we could come up with something far more imaginative to charge you with while you're thinking about your poor choices in the gaol."

Clasping his hands behind his back, he rocks forward onto the balls of his feet before returning his weight to his heels. "Now then, shall we start again? The fairy for the shipment, that is our offer. Should you refuse, well, I suppose it's just fortunate that pixie dust fetches such a fine price that we might be able to defray our losses. To say nothing of how much the wings go for, among other parts."

((For the record, I'm not ignoring your rolls for the sake of drama, but his Intimidate and Persuasion DCs are north of anything rolled so far))

Thosar looks at the proceedings with increasing annoyance. He says small prayer to Boccob as the party argues. After the little bagman threatens Peaseblosom, however, his eyes widen and he puts a plan into action.

"Wait, you're the ones holding her? You have to release her immediately, for your own safety, you don't know what you're dealing with! If she comes to harm or stays in place too long we'll..."
He pauses a moment, looking at the others. "I'm sorry I kept this from you, but... Peaseblossom is unwell, actually she's cursed. This is why she came to us in the first place, for help. Apparently, one of the creatures that came from the tower that fell upon Telmur placed a... well what amounts to a tracking device inside her. If she remains in one place for long enough, another tower will arrive and disgorge an army to destroy everything around them just like in Telmur. I've convinced her not to tell anyone about this, for her safety. Thus, the deception."
He turns back to the bagman. "You see, we've been traveling north to the White Wastes. I told them it was for an archaeological expedition but in reality it's to find the cure for this curse and is connected to the aurora that points that direction... If only I'd noticed when they sent her... Look, I apologize for my friend's indiscretion but everyone is in terrible danger. Peaseblossom and ourselves must get out of this city as soon as possible."

((MikeM:
Using that 2 roll that didn't end up getting used on this guy's insight roll.
Deception: _: 1D20+1D4-1 = [17]+[4]-1 = 20
))

Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=177048]Insight: 1D20 + 4 = [12]+4 = 16
[/url]
Ludwig is still sitting there, early into crafting the first character of his Dhura'gar sculpture, when he looks up and says "Wait what?"

Keranos looks at Thosar, clearly dumbfounded. He balls his fists in so much barely restrained rage. His breathing intensifies, but he manages not to make a scene about how bad an idea it was to keep this curse a secret.

"You need say no more, I know what you must think of me. I hope you are willing to see our mission through though, if only for her sake." Thosar address the bagman again. "You can have your poison, but we need that pixie *and* a way to the white wastes. I don't really know how much longer we have so make some haste if you can."

Mike M

Nick N
Thosar's little scheme is the first that seems to make any impact on the unflappable bagman, who's cool facade falters for just the barest fraction of a second to reveal something that might be akin to fear. His eyes flit to the ceiling as though he expects another tower to come careening through the stone above. "We can arrange passage," he says cautiously. "The fairy and the means to go to the White Wastes in exchange for the rest of the substance. I can have both in hand within an hour. Is this a final agreement?" He asks this last part while pointedly looking back and forth between Keranos and Ludwig.

Keranos's fists really do clench when Thosar STILL offers up the glurg. That is almost enough to justify torpedoing the whole negotiation, but on further consideration, he decides that they are at least getting something in exchange for the stuff, and so, even though it's hard to say exactly how much passage through the white wastes is worth, he shrugs his shoulders.

"No objections here," he says, "Though we require three days before we leave town, in order to properly resupply. If whatever you're offering is time sensitive, then perhaps we'll need to reschedule that part of the deal."

((Forgot to throw in a comment with my last post, but yeah, this scene has been a riot. Dysfunctional parties are best parties :) ))

A bead of sweat goes down Ludwig's face when Keranos demands three days. "I hope we have three days..." "But fine, no objections here." He puts his wood crafting supplies up, and stands back up to move out of the bagman's way."

Fhiess butts in to mitigate any squandering of the deal, to help make it appear the Kin are in control, "We'll ask for a day, not three. The, ah, faerie's curse is something of great urgency and we can't afford three days' rest."

He hopes the classic haggling trick works: get asked for little, ask for a lot, settle with much lower but still higher than what they first demanded.

<I think everybody is going to hate Fhiess by the end of the day>

Top Bottom