• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy Says There Are Still No Plans for a Physical Version of Alan Wake 2; Explains Why American Nightmare Wasn’t Remastered

near

Gold Member
Show us the detailed numbers, then. We all knew it would sell "millions" on PC, but let's see the specific PS5 numbers.
Don't think there are any, but pre-order metrics were in line with it performing really well at the time if I recall correctly.

So much drama because of piece of plastic lol
Agreed.

I do get the thing about physical media as I buy LPs but modern physical games just suck ass.
Usually the covers are boring, no booklet and just the mile long walk from couch to console is horrible.

However most of my triple-A PS5 games are physical copies just because of the price difference is just ridiculous.

In Alan Wake 2's situation the price is pretty good so it's a no-brainer for me. I even pre ordered the deluxe edition.

near

Gold Member
Pre-orders don't mean shit. People cancel those all the time.
Perhaps, but it's no secret that digital sales are significantly on the rise, and a minor example that digital only does not affect the commercial success of AAA games. With very few business incentives to release physical copies, this will become more common, Remedy won't be the first or last to do this.

Perhaps, but it's no secret that digital sales are significantly on the rise, and a minor example that digital only does not affect the commercial success of AAA games. With very few business incentives to release physical copies, this will become more common, Remedy won't be the first or last to do this.
Their loss. Tons of players around the world still don't have access to good internet, so that's a ton of missed sales right there, and no sales from physical buyers will add up too.

K' Dash

My hype is all down.
Aw is one of my fav games… or rather was.

I’ve finished it many times on 60 and pc. Now few years have passed and I am playing remaster on ps5.
Dualsense is great, graphics too… but the game is really not.

I mean it’s ok but it’s dragging and you are just running, watching a cutscene and shooting 2 dudes.
The worst of it is controls and camera. It’s so floaty and the camera constantly changes shoulder. It’s so annoying.
But I loved that game and now it’s just ok. That’s a 2nd time this year I refresh older title only to ruin it for myself. Lost planet 1 suffered same fate :p

Combine that with how bad qb was and how really bad and repetitive control was and I couldn’t be less excited. I still think AW is better than qb and control.

Edit; and he is constantly tired. You can’t sprint for 5 seconds. How. I loved that game so much…

Edit2: I still can’t believe how mid the game is and I finished it like 5 times back then. It’s not bad. Just worse than I remember. American nightmare wasn’t great either but I finished it only two times…
Anyway - their excuses are shit. We all know they are just epic and tencent owned studio and that’s it. They are pushing for epic sells.
no game is for everybody, Alan Wake is not your cup of tea. The game is, in fact, great. I’ve been playing the Remaster on PS5, just started the first special episode and it’s still fun to play and go through.

near

Gold Member
Their loss. Tons of players around the world still don't have access to good internet, so that's a ton of missed sales right there, and no sales from physical buyers will add up too.
That is probably the only argument that isn't arbitrary, but I don't think the vocal minority place enough emphasis on this point. Moreover, the counter business perspective is one that targets the majority, it's unfortunate, but that's just how they operate.

That is probably the only argument that isn't arbitrary, but I don't think the vocal minority place enough emphasis on this point. Moreover, the counter business perspective is one that targets the majority, it's unfortunate, but that's just how they operate.
So, fuck 'em? Yikes.

Aren't like the vast majority of sales digital now? I feel for collectors and people with bad internet but digital is very clearly the future and it's just a matter of time before physical basically doesn't exist on console (like it already more or less doesn't exist on PC anymore)

How many sales will they gain from people going digital instead of buying used games or renting though (which gives the devs/publishers absolutely nothing)?

Ofc Epic had to be involved in the idea of not releasing a physical edition.

Been waitinf so many years for the sequel, but i'll skip it. don't want to buy it digitally.
That's why I'm not as hopeful as others about a potential GOTY edition or a limited release, like other digital launched games got down the line. It seems Epic is in control here and they are simply not in the business of making fullfledged console releases?

I want to believe that Remedy wouldn't hesitate to produce a disc release, but Epic is funding their dream project and that's just how it is now.

Here's why it's digital only and why games like the PS4 RDR remaster had a delayed physical release:

There is one disc replicator plant remaining in all of North America (in Mexico City). This plant has to produce ALL of the Blu-Ray, 4K, and game discs for everyone. As there is a capacity limit with all such places, there's a long list of scheduling to get your product produced there. That's why you see most 4K UHD movie releases basically being limited edition; once they sell out it'll be a year or so until more can be made. Because Alan Wake 2 is releasing during the holiday season and there are games from Sony and other BIGGER publishers coming out, Epic couldn't get the game on the waitlist in time and either had to go digital only or have a delayed physical release sometime in 2024.

Ultimately, every rinky-dink indie game can get released on bluray these days, so these kind of excuses fall flat to me.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
no game is for everybody, Alan Wake is not your cup of tea. The game is, in fact, great. I’ve been playing the Remaster on PS5, just started the first special episode and it’s still fun to play and go through.
I hate this. I hate that whenever I am negative, then "the game is not for me".
No. I am a huge Alan Wake fan. Or at least was. it is all about atmosphere in games I like

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Okay, but i was wondering about sales of alan wake 2
Are they ok or not?
Nearly 2 months and radio silence.
If they are good it's surprising they ain't celebrating it.

Megatron

I’ll never buy it, I’m sure they are happy with their current sales though. Physical is a dying medium after all as most people don’t give a shit and won’t until it impacts them somehow.
Never is a strong word, but yeah, this crap has made me wait on it. I will pick it up on a big sale at some point. I’m not going to,support this crap. And Alan Wake was my game of the year that year. if it were physical I’d have put it on my Christmas list, lol.

So physical sales only reach up to 20% according to you and that 20% isn't significant? 🤭
20% is the best case scenario. Also we are not talking about 2m, 5m or even 10m physical sales. Though I think AW2 sold around 2-3m copies. Post TGA they might get additional sales too - Remedy games have a good wom.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

20% is the best case scenario. Also we are not talking about 2m, 5m or even 10m physical sales. Though I think AW2 sold around 2-3m copies. Post TGA they might get additional sales too - Remedy games have a good wom.
So again physical versions only sell 20% and 20% isn't significant?

I say physical games are much higher of a percentage on average but if they were up to 20% that would still be significant.

I say physical games are much higher of a percentage on average
No, I don't think so. You should keep in mind that even PS (Nintendo aside) who the highest physical skew is 70-80% digital and PC is 99% digital. Xbox is around 90% at this point too.

Physical sales are big only on Nintendo at this point.

S0ULZB0URNE

No, I don't think so. You should keep in mind that even PS (Nintendo aside) who the highest physical skew is 70-80% digital and PC is 99% digital. Xbox is around 90% at this point too.

Physical sales are big only on Nintendo at this point.
PC cant be included as they been 99% digital only also you mentioned xbox as example which is a significantly smaller market and we can't keep a large Nintendo market out of this.

Going by just Nintendo and Sony's combined physical numbers the market is still pretty significant.

we can't keep a large Nintendo market out of this.
Yes we can because a lot of modern games are not coming to Nintendo and AW is not there.
PC cant be included as they been 99% digital only
It can be included because AW (and most of games) does not sell there.
So physical release won't affect physical sales on PC (because there is none), it won't affect Xbox (because - aside smaller market share - the physical is small on Xbox). So it leaves only Playstation.
The whole discussion is about AW2 sales after all.

Show us the detailed numbers, then. We all knew it would sell "millions" on PC, but let's see the specific PS5 numbers.
Did they announce numbers for PC?

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah 10%, maybe even lower depending on the title. At best it might reach 20%, but again it won't enough to change much for the sales.
The numbers you are using are revenue on a whole that includes all digital titles that aren't released physically and are $10 indie games, DLC and similar titles.
As per release, if something like RE4 sells 5.45 mill in a month and 2.6m are confirmed Digital the remaining isn't 10% which would be physical.
The real number is more 60/40 depending on the game.
But when it comes to revenue digital easily takes the cake with additional budget digital only impulse buys, DLC, Season Passes and a higher sale price for mainstream releases.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm a physical first guy but this is an easy game to make an exception for. Fantastic title.

Jesb

My mind is blown that so many people don't care about actually owning stuff they bought* with their hard earned money with no ability to trade or sell it. Sony/MS/Nintendo fuck us in the ass and many people love it.

* - more like rental lol.
The value for reselling games is very low. And the console makers screw us anyway. Try putting a PS3 disc in PS4 or PS5 and see if you can play it.

My mind is blown that so many people don't care about actually owning stuff they bought* with their hard earned money with no ability to trade or sell it. Sony/MS/Nintendo fuck us in the ass and many people love it.

* - more like rental lol.
Pirate the game and burn it on a Blu-ray then. I presume this is still possible? Haven't done it in 15 years.

Top Bottom