• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember the guy who helped a thousand people get their eyesight back?

Spyxos

Recently, Mr beast helped 1000 people to see again. Which was not well received by some?? And now again has helped 1000 with deafness. And again people are upset. How dare he try to help other people.

Last edited:

Doom85

“Someone who helps tons of people out of the goodness of their heart?! Clearly they must be a monster!”

Yeeeeaaaaaah, a classic comic book villain has the same “logic” towards a guy who was just trying to help people:

SSL8tBa.jpg

He does it because it generates money, which is fair, at least he is helping people. They do not like it, because he makes money, which otherwise those people who receive the benefit could not get it otherwise.

Season 6 Starz GIF by Outlander

I just want to know how his teams comes up with those thumbnails. They perfected this science. There is no doubt in my mind that they're based on actual lab research of how to trigger particular social simian responses.

Laieon

I just want to know how his teams comes up with those thumbnails. They perfected this science. There is no doubt in my mind that they're based on actual lab research of how to trigger particular social simian responses.

This is 6 years old and while thumbnails across the board aren't this bad anymore, I'm sure the general rule of thumb still applies for just about anyone:

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Pretty much. He's been on Rogan and Schultz podcasts and he talks about how meticulous he was with fine tuning and trying to understand every aspect of YouTube.

Cyberpunkd

He does it because it generates money, which is fair, at least he is helping people. They do not like it, because he makes money, which otherwise those people who receive the benefit could not get it otherwise.
I think the main issue is - would he be doing it if it didn’t bring him money? If not - then his main trigger is making money, not helping others.
Still good what he does but people protesting have a point as well.

SJRB

Gold Member
"Look at this rich asshole, he should use his money to help people"
*dude spends a fortune to help 1000 people see, and another 1000 people hear*
"No not like that..! I was talking about me! I want that money!"

Never trust anyone who gets actually upset over Mr. Beat helping out people.

Last edited:

Braag

I mean he helps people, his vids get a ton of views which generate money. I don't see the issue. Much better than these other tubers doing stupid shit to try to get views.

HL3.exe

Yes, it's a great/sympathetic move on his part, and it generated positive attention and clout for him.

Yes, it lays bare how fucked up the healthcare system in the US is, especially compared to other countries like in the EU.

2 things can be true.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Funny that, I saw a deaf comic at the weekend who had a joke about how certain deaf people hate his routine because he's not "all the way deaf". Like being able to only hear 20% of everything your whole life is somehow some blessing.

Obviously he should’ve donated his money to the government first, then 75% would’ve rightly gone to ActBlue, and then maybe 10 people could get their hearing restored. Don’t worry the politicians will definitely vote for lower prices in medical care so the other 990 people could get their treatment.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
He is not doing it to help people, its to generate clicks. He is using the misfortune of others to gain money. At least that's how his thumbnails come across, never watched his videos. Dudes face gives me the creeps.

Blade2.0

The problem is we shouldn't have to rely on philanthropic rich people to get problems like this accomplished. We could be doing these things as a society through universal healthcare but instead we have to wait for one guy to deem the cause worthy enough to solve. It isn't Mr. Beast's fault, however, it just isn't something that should need doing in the first place.

zcaa0g

Banned
The problem is we shouldn't have to rely on philanthropic rich people to get problems like this accomplished. We could be doing these things as a society through universal healthcare but instead we have to wait for one guy to deem the cause worthy enough to solve. It isn't Mr. Beast's fault, however, it just isn't something that should need doing in the first place.

Show me how universal healthcare works mathematically with a population of 340 million people.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It's funny you should mention that because I remember reading that some in the "deaf community" consider it wrong to "fix" deaf people. I really wish this was a parody.

Most deaf people won't be helped with a cochlear implant or hearing aids... And you can't "fix" deafness. We already have a culture and a language.

I'm late life deaf so a cochlear implant helped but I'm still deaf ... When I take off my sound processor, I can't hear a thing. But I can sign and that was a lifesaver before the implant.

zcaa0g

Banned
It would work because everyone would pay into it. It's called proportionality.

And that would be enough to cover close to 40 trillion dollars? And just to add to that, that close to 40 trillion dollars would only cover a decade at most. What then? It's not mathematically possible. We need to focus more on realistic preventative measures, so there aren't so many health issues in the first place.

daffyduck

He is not doing it to help people, its to generate clicks. He is using the misfortune of others to gain money. At least that's how his thumbnails come across, never watched his videos. Dudes face gives me the creeps.
Except he needs the clicks to be able to pay for those procedures in the first place.

Agree about the cringe thumbnails/soy face though.

Blade2.0

Show me how universal healthcare works mathematically with a population of 340 million people.
That's a terrible argument, and you know it. #1 Economies of scale says it will be cheaper to produce for a bigger population. #2 More people = more people to do the jobs needed at the scale required.

How do we accomplish anything for a 350+ million population if having a large population is such a detriment to scalability?

zcaa0g

Banned
That's a terrible argument, and you know it. #1 Economies of scale says it will be cheaper to produce for a bigger population. #2 More people = more people to do the jobs needed at the scale required.

How do we accomplish anything for a 350+ million population if having a large population is such a detriment to scalability?

And read my follow up. You're living in fantasy land and can't do basic math.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Take away all those aide packages and military protection from UH countries, and said UH will plummet when monies have to be diverted into their own defense budgets.

With that said, the health industry is broken and by far overly bloated (monetarily) in this country.

I think the main issue is - would he be doing it if it didn’t bring him money? If not - then his main trigger is making money, not helping others.
Still good what he does but people protesting have a point as well.
Seems he's giving back a second time due to that, now isn't he?

Protestors don't have a point. Lazy slacktivist shits that they are. All that energy could be used to actually help people.

Blade2.0

And read my follow up. You're living in fantasy land and can't do basic math.
You're living in a fantasy land. Healthcare is provided in giant sprawling metropolises just as, if not better, than rural populaces. If scaling was such an issue why can we scale everything else proportionally? please answer the question instead of dodging it.

Jsisto

So there’s something WRONG with being deaf and blind that he feels he has to fix? That’s so ableist. We should be celebrating our blind, deaf and dumb Kings, Queens, and Theys. Slay!

HoodWinked

One big angle is that it's also tribal/political.

Mr. Beast has liked tweets from Elon Musk and just by being a millionaire is put into one camp. So a lot of these weirdos will invent a rationalization that will turn him into a villain in their mind. But then Hasan will do something similar and they'll praise him for it. Also Mr. Beast being the top youtuber will just have the envious, resentful and hate from some since it's impossible to be universally liked.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
So there’s something WRONG with being deaf and blind that he feels he has to fix? That’s so ableist. We should be celebrating our blind, deaf and dumb Kings, Queens, and Theys. Slay!

Most deaf people would actually be offended that you or anyone thinks they need to be fixed and that they shouldn't be who they are. There is a real deaf culture!

I don't appreciate you saying "blind, deaf and dumb" ... THAT is ableist and offensive!

Top Bottom