• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Renegade X, an Unreal Tournament 3 mod based on C&C: Renegade

Syf

Banned
God, I am loving this. <3

Guess I could throw together an OT. Will do it tomorrow as I, uh, just finished my last exam and am having more than a few drinks with my roommate tonight lol.

Xater

I don't think this has been posted yet. For people new to Renegade's Multiplayer (well, or in case you've forgotten what it's all about, since it's been a while):

They released a tutorial video a couple of hours ago. I cannot wait to play this.

Holy crap this looks good. I agree someone should make an OT for this. I think the MP of C&C Re evade was ahead if it's time and current PC community could be really into this,

UnrealEck

It feels similar to the original. It is pretty glitchy though, but it should be noticed it is still in beta. This isn't the finished version. Things could do with a touch up, like the animation of the doors on buildings or the menus and UI.

Syf

Banned
Downloadin now.

Any good impressions, videos? Been forever since I touched that other test they released.
Impression for me is very good so far. The gameplay is smooth and fast, and the game looks surprisingly good graphically for a mod. Only problems I've had so far are high ping (ping display isn't working for me in the server list) and it crashing after each map. I don't think the crashing is a universal issue though, seems I'm the only one talking about it on their forum.

The Stealth Fox

It's on the level of a full MP release. There's some glitches here and there, but in general, it is a STUNNING re-imagining of the original game. Most of the old tricks are there without the glitches (tunnel nukes and using a partner to glitch over a wall to avoid the obby/AGT).

The distinctions of GDI and NOD are still there, requiring different strategies. Nod's advantages are stealth and infantry, GDI's all about armor.

I'd say the gunplay is a little more enhanced in the original with ADS and all the different sidearms/mods. Some of the tweaks to the balance are nice, such as the addition of the Marksman free class and tech buildings.

I can't wait for C&C_Under and whatever new maps the Devs have in mind. They say they might add controllable harvesters as an option as well as recon bikes on certain maps.

Syf

Banned
I can't wait for C&C_Under and whatever new maps the Devs have in mind.
I think I remember reading that they have a working version of Under but it just wasn't ready for this beta. It was probably my favorite map from the original. That or.. fuck, I forget the name, but there were two canyon bases with a small tiberium field in between and a large tunnel network. The tunnel overlooked the field at one point.

The Stealth Fox

I think I remember reading that they have a working version of Under but it just wasn't ready for this beta. It was probably my favorite map from the original.

It was the Renegade demo map. Why is it that demo maps always remain the favorite even in full releases? lol

Syf

Banned
Or was it just called Canyon? Haha, I think that might have been it.

Edit: Yep that was it. Remember this one?

WEB_CHEMIN_11237_1287538085.jpg

Such memories.

Run-M-Run

Woah..

Most people probably already forgot about this mod! I played it in alpha a little bit years ago. It was fun but very very buggy. Now that C&C is completely destroyed by EA, I really have no idea how this will fare. I hope it gets a solid community regardless as it totally deserves one. Renegade multiplayer was so much fun.

Edit: To be honest it pisses me off to no end how EA just shits on this franchise over and over and over again. Can't they see how loyal the fanbase has been no matter of the constant stream of failures? We deserve better and it seems to be the community who has to do it instead.

Syf

Banned
Edit: To be honest it pisses me off to no end how EA just shits on this franchise over and over and over again. Can't they see how loyal the fanbase has been no matter of the constant stream of failures? We deserve better and it seems to be the community who has to do it instead.
Yeah man. C&C was my favorite franchise for a long time and the day Westwood Studios was shut down by EA was a sad one. Still, at least EA let this mod happen.

valeo

W

At least they dont shut down mod communities.

The Stealth Fox

Woah..

Most people probably already forgot about this mod! I played it in alpha a little bit years ago. It was fun but very very buggy. Now that C&C is completely destroyed by EA, I really have no idea how this will fare. I hope it gets a solid community regardless as it totally deserves one. Renegade multiplayer was so much fun.

This is definitely not a buggy mess. Outside of some animation glitches, it's pretty polished. It is VERY good. This is good enough for a full release. It is TRUE Renegade without the bad netcode and some tweaks.

Here are some of my heroics today:

Being the only SBH with a nuke strike beacon to sneak into the base and then go down in a blaze of glory to swing the match which was otherwise a stalemate.

Being GDI and stealing an enemy stealth tank, going back to base, repairing it, getting an ion beacon, sneaking into their base, take out their airstrip with the beacon while running over guys in the stealth tank.

Syf

Banned
Urlay?

What are the RTS elements in this? I'm assuming it's base building since I didn't hear anything about ordering around AI.
Bases are built. The RTS element is destroying key structres. Destroy the barracks and they can't make advanced infantry. Destroy the factory, no vehicles/aircraft. Refinery, less income. Etc. And in most maps there's base defenses like the obelisk of light and advanced guard tower. It requires teamwork to win, like coordinated rushes. There's also a harvester to defend/attack for income.

It's sort of.. the players are the RTS element, if that makes sense. It's up to each team to coordinate properly. Which is fucking awesome imo.

KaiserBecks

Played a few rounds yesterday and had a lot of fun. It's been a while since I played Renegade's MP (like...10 years), but as far as I can tell, they nailed that certain feeling the original had.
Now I only hope this will get some buzz, we need more people to try it out. It's free after all. I honestly don't get how EA could ignore the potential Renegade had as a spin off.

Also: Run this in the background whilst playing the game. Makes it even more fun.

Bolivar687

Banned
This firestorm update just looks insane.

Petroglyph is also making their own spiritual successor to Renegade, Earthbreakers, based off of Forged Battalion RTS:

I've been waiting patiently for years for EA to announce a reboot of C&C: Renegade on the battlefield engine and have been consistently let down with their sam BF sequels and dumbing down of gameplay.

My hope is that the craze for AAA battle royales with massive battlefields and more and more players will eventually lead to games that have to differentiate and evolve, that they might start bringing in more elements in vein with Command and Conquer, Planetside, Warhawk, and Enemy Territory.

Maybe if this future comes EA will take another look and figure out they've been sitting on a potential goldmine with this IP.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
This looks great.

But wouldn't ea give them a cease and desist letter when this has grown potentially enough popularity? Should have called the units and all that slightly different names.

Teslerum

This looks great.

But wouldn't ea give them a cease and desist letter when this has grown potentially enough popularity? Should have called the units and all that slightly different names.

Renegade X has been going strong for a long time and EA has given them permission to use the C&C universe a long time ago.

If they C&D it now it would be much too late/make no sense.

Top Bottom