• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replaying Breath of the Wild Has Changed My Opinion On This Game

NSESN

No, but ideally reviewers would let a little time go by before posting their reviews instead of immediately reviewing a game while in the honeymoon period. Let the high wear off, so to speak.

You know that the main reason that reviews exist is to help people decide to buy or not a game right? Waiting the honeymoon period pass woud make reviews useless.

But ideally people would like to have their reviews before the game comes out lol

Ah yes. That's kind of the thing that reviewers have way too much influence in the industry. I'm just saying I can appreciate someone like Angry Joe who typically doesn't have a review ready at launch and takes his time with it. It's fine to give your early impressions but don't give it a review when you just beat it 3 hours ago.

All of them. I also got the second ring of stamina asap, since hearts dont really matter because of how armor defense works, investing on stamina and upgrades made for a really pleasant experiennce.

If you climb the slopier ones and press B, you can just walk up the slope while regaining your stamina.

I defeated Ganon with 20 hearts and only upgraded my stamina twice as in 8 spirit orbs total with only two climbing clothing that probably increased speed 10-15% only. And the only region I didnt explore fully was the Gerudo Highlands and The Faron Jungle.

Also got Revali's gale after visiting Hebra and Mount Lanaryu.

phanphare

Banned
If you would quote the entire sentence then you wouldn't have to ask me this question????????

sigh why do i even bother

the rest of the sentence is just you bringing up that bias exists which is a given. trying to review a game without any bias or subjectivity is a fool's errand.

so yeah, the question still needed to be asked because you are saying that a 10/10 with flaws is contradictory which is silly

oh wait, I meant "sigh, why do I even bother"

/snark

andthebeatgoeson

Usually, i see dungeons as a way to extend gameplay. Offer variety that the overworld can't accomplish due to memory limitations. To me, that's not necessary.

I'm geeked about a replay but will wait till hard mode is released so i can do my 💯% walkthrough.

Then I googled 100% and Nintendo really sticks it to ya. Not your typical 💯%. But i tip my hat. They are focused on exploration and it shines thru.

Kyuur

Yes OP, I agree. The one thing you can absolutely not fault the game on is its commitment to non-linearity.

Me and my fiancee played through the game concurrently. I watched her while playing on my own on the side, something that would be nearly impossible to do with almost any other game due to long stretches of 'sameness'. Besides having completely different routes through the game, we even solved many puzzles and combat situations in completely different ways. It was mind blowing to
actually be able to enter Zora's Domain differently and be greeted with different voiced cutscenes
. Just amazing.

antibolo

Banned
If you had explored you would've. Also I'm pretty sure they sell that set in Kakariko Village. Unless you ignored one of the few markers the game ever gives you, you can't miss it

No, the Kakariko shop sells the stealth gear. The climbing gear comes from chests in shrines. The climbing headscarf is in one of the earliest shrines in the game.

180 hours into my first playthrough and my opinion of the game just keeps improving. So I kinda feel you, OP. People claiming this is a Skyward Sword situation are delusional.

I have this on WiiU but as a Switch owner I'm thinking about restarting it on that system, lol. Maybe after the DLC drops. Either way, it's good to know the replay won't be a slog.

LordKasual

Banned
the rest of the sentence is just you bringing up that bias exists which is a given. trying to review a game without any bias or subjectivity is a fool's errand.

so yeah, the question still needed to be asked because you are saying that a 10/10 with flaws is contradictory which is silly

oh wait, I meant "sigh, why do I even bother"

/snark

if it's such a given then why would you waste your time asking me whether or not we need to have discussion over a concept we both already understand?

how is the contradiction confusing to you if you already understand that it's inherently inevitable? Furthermore, why would you even ask me about this when I very clearly accept its nature following the comma that you so very conveniently removed from your post?

why did you quote me to complain about 10/10 review scores when the topic of my post was about a sensationalist article title that didn't even include a review score?

Now that you've finally read the rest of the sentence, go ahead and read the rest of the post please

Edit:

or dont, dont really care

phanphare

Banned
if it's such a given then why would you waste your time asking me whether or not we need to have discussion over a concept we both already understand?

how is the contradiction confusing to you if you already understand that it's inherently inevitable? Furthermore, why would you even ask me about this when I very clearly accept its nature following the comma that you so very conveniently removed from your post?

why did you quote me to complain about 10/10 review scores when the topic of my post was about a sensationalist article title that didn't even include a review score?

Now that you've finally read the rest of the sentence, go ahead and read the rest of the post please

I read the entire post and I quoted the part that I wanted to address

either way the point I was making was exceedingly simple and certainly didn't warrant the posts that you've made in response to it. basically no 10/10 is without flaws.

does that help?

Anteo

If you climb the slopier ones and press B, you can just walk up the slope while regaining your stamina.

I defeated Ganon with 20 hearts and only upgraded my stamina twice as in 8 spirit orbs total with only two climbing clothing that probably increased speed 10-15% only. And the only region I didnt explore fully was the Gerudo Highlands and The Faron Jungle.

Also got Revali's gale after visiting Hebra and Mount Lanaryu.

I know about that. 2 wheels plus that means I can jump everywhere even if the wall dornst have many slopes. Also I beat the game at 8 hearts and only 2 beasts. Revalis gale was sometjing I got as the last beast way after ganon.

Breath of the Wild is certainly a landmark title in gaming. In an era of making games in an open world just because, Zelda sets out to answer the question of why a game should be in an open world, and how game design could take advantage of being in an open world.

Its special, don't miss out.

ghibli99

I loved it my first time through (120 hours, 100 shrines, 200 some-odd seeds), and playing it through a second time has felt even more liberating. I'm spending less time scouring the world for shrines and seeds, and instead exploring areas I never did before. After putting that much time into it, I'm amazed that this playthrough still makes the game feel fresh, exciting, with that same sense of discovery that hooked me the first time.

Not

Banned
It was mind blowing to
actually be able to enter Zora's Domain differently and be greeted with different voiced cutscenes
. Just amazing.

Wait, huhWHAT?

I entered from the front roads every time. There are different cutscenes?
Like do you not follow Sidon up the river every time?

Wow, I just figured-- wow!

I'm roughly 25 hours in on my first playthrough and I'm so damn hooked. I'm following the main missions, but I'm constantly being distracted. I mean just now I spent about 6 hours talking to everyone while exploring Hateno Village.

The game is just magical with a glorious sense of wonder and discovery. It only took 19 years, but Ocarina of Time has finally been dethroned!

Let me ask you again in a year from now when your honey moon is finishen with the game :p
Anyway this feeling usually happens to me.
But cant take away its a superb game!

antibolo

Banned
Wait, huhWHAT?

I'm kinda surprised to learn that it's even possible, I always assumed the whole reason the region was permanently rainy before beating the divine beast (other than narrative-wise) was to make it impossible to climb your way into it and force you to use "the right way".

either way the point I was making was exceedingly simple and certainly didn't warrant the posts that you've made in response to it. basically no 10/10 is without flaws.

does that help?

Your effort is admirable, but I'd save myself the trouble if I were you.

On topic, I think there's a really interesting conversation to be had here. The OP mentions that on the first playthrough, there wasn't a lot of exploration or side content done. And, even having loved every minute of Breath of the Wild, I have to admit that if I'd mostly focused on main quest content I probably would have found the game pretty underwhelming. This is a strange instance of a game that I think is much worse off if you're looking mostly for the "meat" of the experience in the core narrative. What would typically be filler content in other games is one of the strongest aspects of BotW.

I'm kinda surprised to learn that it's even possible, I always assumed the whole reason the region was permanently rainy before beating the divine beast (other than narrative-wise) was to make it impossible to climb your way into it and force you to use "the right way".

I entered Zora's Domain by paragliding down from the highest peak in the region. The rain was simply another obstacle to overcome.

jariw

Wait, huhWHAT?

What,
you can follow Sidon
? I climbed over the rainy mountains (just for the challenge) and glided into the city.

Dr.Hadji

I've been thinking how I would approach the game on a replay. For the time being I've been getting great pleasure from watching my little sister and other family members play the game. Seeing the other path as others play. I'm surprised how well they can handle the game and how well the game welcomes various skill levels.

That's me. Been playing since day one and even just yesterday I'm coming across areas I've never seen before. It's crazy.

something something honeymoon period
There will never be another discussion about a highly rated game on GAF, that manages to make it through to the end without people who didn't like the game as much posting about honeymoon periods

with the obvious suggestion that public opinion will clearly turn, people will see the game for what it really is (or in other words, exactly how I see it rn, because, like, I'm immune to the honeymoon period, and so very discerning)

Poppy

yeah the dungeons are prettymuch butt and they dont make you do anything in hyrule castle, theoretically, other than haul ass up the side of it and go fight the boss, so that also felt like an anticlimax. i respect the game and it is definitely a good experience, really makes you rethink zelda games a little bit.

however, that being said, it needs a bit more linearity and a stronger narrative. i dont really care about this regaining memory junk, im not compelled to go seek them out, im not compelled by the dungeons at all, i was left overall mild at the end of the experience. but i certainly found an immense amount of value in the tens of hours of exploration and shenanigans i got up to before stepping foot in even one dungeon. they just need to shore up the core narrative and give us more drive to do the main game, cuz it was not great as it stands

LordKasual

Banned

does that help?

You quoted me essentially asking whether or not I understood that no 10/10 is without flaws. And that is particularly annoying because I immediately addressed that in the remainder of the same sentence that you quoted. You've taken me out of context and started a whole side thing out of it.

It's not fun to be taken out of context. See, look at this:

Why is it absurd that BotW could be one of the best games ever?

*Read's LordK's other posts ITT*

Actually, nvm...

It isn't absurd

i think it IS one of the best games ever

but that isn't what I was calling absurd

*clicks*

"Is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild the best-designed game ever?"

*exits*

I used that exact tagline in a satire post not too long ago, and here it actually exists. holy shit rofl
Lots of people consider Breath of the Wild one of the best games ever. What's so surprising about that statement as a result?
because it's absurd

and the answer is obviously "no"
nah that's just your opinion man.
Yeah it actually has nothing to do with my opinion. Even reviewers that handed out 10/10 scores to the game are able to cite design flaws with the experience, which in itself is self-contradictory, but i think everyone is able to agree upon the fact that review scores cannot exist outside of bias in that case. But an article that intends to dissect the game probably should refrain from showing such bias off the jump.

"Breath of the Wild is an astoundingly well designed game" is a great title. Stance is clear, give due praise to the game, and i'm ready to read the reasoning behind what you're about to say.

"Is Breath of the Wild the best-designed game ever?" is sensationalist, and a pretty silly title for someone who plans to then attempt to objectively review the game, because the first sentence anyone reads of the article is so deeply charged in clear bias. It immediately puts into question the reviewer's capacity to be critical of the game's flaws, which inherently devalues the entire article...at least, it does for anyone looking for an objective review of its design.

context!!!!

I'm not disputing how good the game is, or complaining about review scores. I was talking about the title of a specific article.

i don't know why I bother dude

But at the same time it was still quite disappointing; characters overall weren't very memorable either.

What? One of BoTW's strengths are its characters and NPCs. Kass, Sidon, Riju, the champions, Hudson, firefly girl, the little kids from Kakariko, I can go on and on. This is probably the most headscratching critique of this game...

Twookie

I can totally understand if some people changes their opinion on the game after already playing it. A lot of the great fun (atleast it was for me) was to explore new areas in blissful adventurous wonder not knowing what lies ahead and knowing that there are NO wrong paths to take. Knowing what actually lies ahead and where you should probably go might take that type of fun away from you, and it won't be as fun as when you first played it.

I'm planning on replaying it when the hard mode comes out, but I doubt I'll change my mind on this game - I can understand if other people will do so.

jts

...hate me...
This game is an instant classic and I believe that will be sealed with a shower of GOTY awards.

It's more than just a GOTY to me anyway. It's one of the games of my life, in some ways the most special one.

Cathcart

Even reviewers that handed out 10/10 scores to the game are able to cite design flaws with the experience, which in itself is self-contradictory
Only if you make the mistake of thinking that 10/10 means that a game is flawless, which it absolutely does not mean.

jts

...hate me...
I still have never found this bloody scarf

I didn't find it at first either, but when I did I felt stupid because I must have passed by it very early in the game. Maybe my shrine sensor wasn't on, but still clearly I hadn't looked around well enough. One can say I had tunnel vision at that point.

Kyzer

Banned
You quoted me essentially asking whether or not I understood that no 10/10 is without flaws. And that is particularly annoying because I immediately addressed that in the remainder of the same sentence that you quoted. You've taken me out of context and started a whole side thing out of it.

It's not fun to be taken out of context. See, look at this:

It isn't absurd

i think it IS one of the best games ever

but that isn't what I was calling absurd

context!!!!

I'm not disputing how good the game is, or complaining about review scores. I was talking about the title of a specific article.

i don't know why I bother dude

What do you think is the best designed game ever? Out of curiosity

I will replay this game in the summer with the first wave of DLCs. Want to see how the new map functionality and the Korok Mask change up the experience. But contrary to how some people might feel I think this is the perfect game to replay. I will take a different route to fill out my map and do the Divine Beasts in a different order. The game is so big and I've been divorced from it long enough that I anticipate it will feel fresh.

bionic77

What do you think is the best designed game ever? Out of curiosity
I think his problem is with calling any game the best anything.

I think he is saying you should say it is really good or one of the best and avoid that problem.

I kind of agree with him. And this is coming from someone who thinks Zelda is a masterpiece.

spekkeh

Banned
Best designed does not mean 10/10, it just means better than the rest. Best is a comparative statement not an absolute one.

(A better retort would be more 'best designed to do what?'. A game can be the best designed piece of shit if the intention was in fact to create a piece of shit game. Best designed open world exploration game though? I can dig it)

phanphare

Banned
I think his problem is with calling any game the best anything.

I think he is saying you should say it is really good or one of the best and avoid that problem.

I kind of agree with him. And this is coming from someone who thinks Zelda is a masterpiece.

you're probably right, my only issue was that even the best designed game of all time (whether it's BotW or not) likely has multiple flaws which was referenced as self-contradictory which I thought was silly.

like I said, I feel like only things like tetris even come close to being perfect and even then that's not the case

Realeza

Banned
When the DLC is released and people go back to it, it will remind them why BOTW is a strong contender for game of all time. There's just nothing like it in the market, and it nails pretty much everything it sets out to do.

LotusHD

Banned
What? One of BoTW's strengths are its characters and NPCs. Kass, Sidon, Riju, the champions, Hudson, firefly girl, the little kids from Kakariko, I can go on and on. This is probably the most headscratching critique of this game...

Ah, I should've clarified, I meant the "main" characters, namely the champions, their descendants/family, and Zelda. The champions in particular disappointed me. Ya just roll up into the Divine Beast, with them only mostly only talking to you while you're activating consoles and to assist you with the boss. Then once you beat it, they say some stuff, and that's that. They're portrayed as being these really close friends/companions of Link, but eh, I wasn't feeling it at all. Their respective memories didn't do anything for me either.
Also Mipha's voice sucked.

As for the descendants, I just swoop in, talk to the leader, and then head immediately to the Divine Beast with their assistance. I mean, Sidon and Riju were alright, but nothing particularly noteworthy (they make for good fanart though). But yea, just those 2 really.

For Zelda, I did like the little I got to see of her, with this being especially cute. Wish I could actually hang out with her.

Maybe instead of memorable I should've just said I didn't care for them, but either way, the majority of them will not be something I look back as one of the reasons why I enjoyed this game.

The dungeons are the worst part of this game.

Wholly unremarkable and forgettable.

Compared to OoT where ever dungeon is so damn iconic.

Top Bottom