• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor from a single tweet: Target to stop selling physical media (movies and series) in-store and online by 2025

bender

What time is it?
Wario's been posting a ton of closeout deals on games from Walmart which got me thinking about the report that surfaced late last year about them no longer carrying Xbox software.

radewagon

I wonder if this is going to go like the reverse of the streaming model. With streaming, everyone saw there was money in it, so they flooded the market and now there's too much competition for it to be as profitable as they expected. With physical media, if everyone's pulling out, will this allow the few leftover sellers to make out like bandits as they consolidate the market share of a small but committed group of consumers? I kind of hope so. I would love to see physical media continue to exist considering how much the digital-only future is proving to not care at all about consumers or the preservation of media. Things just vanish now.

What if physical media becomes the special edition, in the form of a butt plug shaped like the game's character, and is released one year later, after fixing all the issues with the game?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
In store:
Dallas Cowboys Eye Roll GIF by ScooterMagruder

ONLINE:
computer rage GIF

Like who does this benefit? Why remove online in particular?

Last edited:
I wonder if this is going to go like the reverse of the streaming model. With streaming, everyone saw there was money in it, so they flooded the market and now there's too much competition for it to be as profitable as they expected. With physical media, if everyone's pulling out, will this allow the few leftover sellers to make out like bandits as they consolidate the market share of a small but committed group of consumers? I kind of hope so. I would love to see physical media continue to exist considering how much the digital-only future is proving to not care at all about consumers or the preservation of media. Things just vanish now.
If so my gamefly subscription is either going to become very valuable or gf will go bankrupt.

I hope they don't stop physical games. It's going to become even more expensive as we will have no choice but to buy digitally.

DaGwaphics

Source is an Uncle at Target? :messenger_winking_tongue: All I see is that one line quoted. Sometimes the embeds don't show for me there.

Can't say I'd be surprised if it were true. Digital gives the publishers the same money (maybe more without any bargain binning) without any of the costs and they don't have to worry about used sales. Seems like a win for them all the way around, not so much for consumers that like games on disk though.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m part of the problem. I buy all of my games digitally.

But I also don’t totally see the issue. Every digital game released in the last 15 years has been backed up somewhere, meaning it’s not lost to time. I don’t see a future where digital games aren’t archived somewhere.

TransTrender

Gold Member
If true, the simple answer is that their store and warehouse floor space are better served with other, more profitable products.
Like high density housing on the existing shelves for millennials and zoomers.
This way the wagey can literally stay in their cagey.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You know what's amazing if stores get rid of physical game discs?

If you walk around the corner to the next aisles in the electronics aisle, you'll still see for sale CDs of Britney Spears Greatest Hits and The Best of Kenny Rogers for $9.99. Yup. That small shelf of music discs will outlive game discs! lol

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
PC gaming has been all digital for many years, mobile gaming has only been digital, most of console gaming is now digital.

I don’t see why this is such a big deal. Most of the world has already adapted to this change.

Aside from some Switch games, I think Final Fantasy XV was the last physical game I bought.

You know what's amazing if stores get rid of physical game discs?

If you walk around the corner to the next aisles in the electronics aisle, you'll still see for sale CDs of Britney Spears Greatest Hits and The Best of Kenny Rogers for $9.99. Yup. That small shelf of music discs will outlive game discs! lol
The tweet says “physical media” not just physical game software.

Wouldn’t it be crazy if books + vinyl were the only physical media to survive?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The tweet says “physical media” not just physical game software.

Wouldn’t it be crazy if books + vinyl were the only physical media to survive?
Oh shit. I spoke too quick.

But what if Target stopping selling physical also means no books or magazines or vinyls either? We dont have Targets here, but I'll assume they at least carry a big shelf of popular books and mags like other big stores.

Well, floor space is precious. For those that don't know, stores will analyze financials based on thresholds like Sales/Square Foot, and the way digital sales have zoomed up the charts since maybe around 2016 or 2017(?) when a lot of us console gamers shifted from discs to digital, that sales ratio for the game shelves must be rock bottom. The size of the electronics section might be similar, but they are trying to increase sales with all the peripherals and weird shit to fill the glass cases. Kind of like Gamestop flooding their stores with Funko and board games.

They could also adjust their sections and just cast off some floor space to another category. In those kind of areas, nearby sections are usually Toys, outdoorsy shit like Bikes and exercise equipment or Pets.

Dthomp

In-store I can understand, precious shelf space.

But Online too? That's a harbinger of bad things.

Yeah I mean Target did really need 1 and a half more aisles of cell phones and phone accessories so I guess it is what it is :)

I will just have to go out of my way to find sites that will keep selling physical because there is no world where I continue to support a console that is only digital. If I wanted to live in that world I would have swapped to PC. Thank god for backlogs, emulation and old systems to play classics on if this is the way.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Let’s just all agree it sucks but physical media is going away for nextbox and ps6. I think switch 2 will stay around but they are full transitioning to digital.

Unknown?

Yeah I mean Target did really need 1 and a half more aisles of cell phones and phone accessories so I guess it is what it is :)

I will just have to go out of my way to find sites that will keep selling physical because there is no world where I continue to support a console that is only digital. If I wanted to live in that world I would have swapped to PC. Thank god for backlogs, emulation and old systems to play classics on if this is the way.
It's too bad that PC is digital but worse than that everything is bought through storefronts and sold as a license rather than owning the darned software!

Puscifer

Or just drop out of the cesspool that is modern gaming and play retro games until the end.
My Steam deck is a glorified emulator and place for my 2015 and back games on a glorious OLED screen.

Even after selling my analog pocket I bought another one (wtf was I thinking lmao) during their recent restock along with a dock and a couple 8 bit do controllers.

Gonna snag that N64 FPGA, we know it's gonna be jail broken.

Death Stranding 2 is the only game that excites me in the near future and GTA 6, especially after RDR 2 Isn't even on my radar. My PS5 was turned on for the Stellar Blade demo and off again since I finished Ragnarok, I'm keeping it for DS 2. I have to say something about Ragnarok was the final straw for me, or damn close, in terms of what excites me. I mostly watched my on again, off again boyfriend play Spiderman 2 and we'd swap controllers here and there. But playing it I just didn't feel it. And you know what? That's ok with me honestly. Modern gaming is for a different audience that doesn't include me and that's fine, my only regret is building my PC with a 4080 and basically maxing out RE 4 and having it idle while I play older games like System Shock 2 in 4K lol.

I feel like Chris Sawyer, the roller coaster tycoon creator.

Are you playing any games at the moment? Do you play modern games? Are you a fan of any particular genres, or game developers?

Chris Sawyer: To be honest I rarely play games these days. The world of games moved on and I didn't, and I miss the flawed style and clunky simplicity of games from 20 years ago. I admire the amazing graphics and awesome size and realism of many modern games but for some reason can't summon much enthusiasm to play them. Perhaps some are too realistic? I don't know, but bringing a game too close to realism doesn't work for me. I have a subscription to only one games magazine: Retro Gamer!

Three

Source is an Uncle at Target? :messenger_winking_tongue: All I see is that one line quoted. Sometimes the embeds don't show for me there.
It's about movies and music and it's probably true. The rumour was doing the rounds in September last year. The twitter account is a movie specific account.

They're likely to still sell physical games even in 2025 in store and especially online. People still buy a lot of physical games, particularly in the fall.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

This will happen 100%. If 35% of all console games sales are physical, then SOMEBODY has to be selling them. And they can't ALL be from Amazon.

mdkirby

If it was profitable for them to stock them (relative to alternative products), they would. It clearly isn’t worth it for them. “Most” buy digitally now, or have subscriptions, for games and film, and those numbers aren’t going to reverse, physical will become more and more “speciality” each year, and be the preserve of collectors. Wallmart is not a place for stocking speciality niche items for collectors. It’s for mass market goods. Simple as that. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

While I haven't bought hard copies in about 6 years, this is still not good. Need to rack up on my blu ray collection before its vaporware altogether. I never thought an all-digital future was this close. Ugh...

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
While I haven't bought hard copies in about 6 years, this is still not good. Need to rack up on my blu ray collection before its vaporware altogether. I never thought an all-digital future was this close. Ugh...

I'm hoping blu rays and 4k Blu rays have years left. Gaming seems to be a no no though.

We just need a governing body to step in to make sure you can purchase digital content from various sources, cant just have a platform holder retain full control.

Top Bottom