• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports: North Korea have fired ballistic missile test

To be fair, no on in history has yet tried to just ignore a belligerant nuclear power. Maybe if they get no reaction after bombing Seoul and forming the "Greater Korean Republic", Kim will just get bored and leave the world in peace.

The whole brinkmanship game evolved from ever evolving sanctions against the country. Let's face it, if North Korea suffered quietly no one would give a fuck, least of all the West. But status quo in North Korea actually happens to be rather 'useful' for the powers that be, both East and West unfortunately. But the matter is one of great import at the moment.

Cagey

Banned
I think the same thing will happen but for the opposite reason you do:

It's entirely rational for NK to want to become a nuclear power.

I've said it before but I don't really know where some of you get your ideas about Kim Jong Un being an especially wild-eyed nutcase. He seems like a relatively stable tyrannical dictator, as tyrannical dictators go. Oh he murdered his uncle? These guys always purge disloyalists on their way to the throne. His father did it too when he ascended to power. That's the name of the game.

He seems less of a crazy irrational diva than his father, I'd say. Or for that matter: Trump.

The role itself makes him an evil bastard, to be sure.
Right. The fallacy along the US public and some pols is to view DRPK as an irrational actor.

They're rational. We just conflate bad intentions and crazy too often.

Juche guides the decisions and it's not the philosophy of a loose cannon.

I think people the problem is people try to view North Korea as a part of the world community, and judge the rationality of North Korean leadership's actions based on that supposition. The problem is that they are not members of the world community, so behavior that would be completely irrational for leaders in that position becomes completely rational for them.

Their behavior is consistent with relatively rational choices made by people who are in a completely insane situation. I think most people who actually have to deal with them (Trump aside) understand that, it's just that there's no particularly clean or reasonable resolution to their situation that anyone's found. They're neck-deep in this thing, and they aren't going to be able to get back out without blood.

This is just what Trump needs right now. He'll huff and puff and appear "strong," taking the story away from the FBI stuff.
Yup, but if Trump ever really intends to use a war for the biggest possible distraction it'll be against North Korea and as things heat up domestically for him the chances only go up. It's like Kim is digging his own grave.

I don't get it.

TaterTots

Banned
What happens when they are successful is what I want to know. Do we just roll with it, or do we shut that down? NK having a legit threat to back up their b.s. is a whole other story.

Tovarisc

Here is full WH release. They really are asking "What you gonna do now, huh?" from Putin.

C_wZoFFUwAAxiK7.jpg

https://twitter.com/annafifield/status/863593406202748929

Kyzer

Banned
I think the same thing will happen but for the opposite reason you do:

I've said it before but I don't really know where some of you get your ideas about Kim Jong Un being an especially wild-eyed nutcase. He seems like a relatively stable tyrannical dictator, as tyrannical dictators go. Oh he murdered his uncle? These guys always purge disloyalists on their way to the throne. His father did it too when he ascended to power. That's the name of the game.

He seems less of a crazy irrational diva than his father, I'd say. Or for that matter: Trump.

The role itself makes him an evil bastard, to be sure.

Your priorities are twisted if you take the drama that is trump to be worse than kim jong un, who executes people with anti aircraft machine weapons and dogs, puts generations of families into slave labor, starves his own people, and vows the nuclear destruction of countries almost daily.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Your priorities are twisted if you take the drama that is trump to be worse than kim jong un, who executes people with anti aircraft machine weapons and dogs, puts generations of families into slave labor, starves his own people, and vows the nuclear destruction of countries almost daily.
Just imagine Trump in the role of North Korean leader. Now that would be scary.

Kim seems like a rather docile actor playing out the role laid out for him by his predecessors. Nearly all of his evil is pretty much what he's expected to do as that leader, and doesn't come out of his personality in particular. He seems to me to be a bland piece of tofu that takes on the flavor of the political pot he was put into.

Kyzer

Banned

Kim seems like a rather docile actor playing out the role laid out for him by his predecessors. Nearly all of his evil is pretty much what he's expected to do as that leader, and doesn't come out of his personality in particular. He seems to me to be a bland piece of tofu that takes on the flavor of the political pot he was put into.

Either you live on a different planet or youve created headcanon based on imagination

you do know he killed his brother, other relatives and his own generals right? The man is paranoid and he has a nuke stockpile. He's actively pushing to improve missile tech that can reach the United States.

Top Bottom