• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Researcher: World of Warcaft players make better employees

Retro

Bullshit, every serious wow player I've ever worked with spent all day browsing wow forums and wowhead researching loot drop rates and strategies. You'd be better off hiring junkies because there aren't many crack and heroin forums to waste time on.

Truth.

Was working at an industrial fabrication plant for a while, a few of the heavy machines ran off of computers and were connected to the internet. Mostly to receive new blueprints and such via e-mail, but also so they could be remotely diagnosed (being damn big, complex and expensive machines).

One night we came to a full stop because the guy running the machine was on the WoW forums and crashed the computer. We didn't get started up again until it was almost time for the shift change. The day managers were beyond pissed, though I think they thought he had actually tried to install and play the game on the machine (which would have been hilarious, this huge, loud piece of heavy machinery playing WoW).

Internet withstanding, I only know 2 people in real life that play World of warcraft. And one of them straight up got fired from their salarly 9-5 job for coming into work at lunchitme regularly because they stayed up all night having epic quests or raids (or whatever the fuck you do in that game) into the wee hours of the morning.

Well, it probably helps with goal setting and understanding the diligence involved. As for the progression guild I ran, I could say that people who were good employees IRL were great raiders.

RSLAEV

When I was flown out to interview with a sizable game company a little more than a year ago, one of the main accomplishments I mentioned was that I was a main tank for one of the best guilds on my server, and I referenced times I showed my leadership in World of Warcraft since they wanted examples of me displaying leadership.

I was naive and stupid.

I wanted to quote this post and laugh but to be fair it was a *game* company.

Cyrillus

Is that harder than Kil'Jaeden pre-nerf kill? Since I stopped playing after that.
I honestly couldn't say because I stopped playing the game a few months after BC release until WotLK came out. It's my understanding that Kil'Jaeden, and all of Sunwell were a motherfucker, so maybe that's harder.

This stings. But it's so true. We love having a carrot in front of us, running after it in an endless attempt to think we've finally got it.

What's worse is getting the carrots you sought.

we.are.the.armada said:
Well, it probably helps with goal setting and understanding the diligence involved. As for the progression guild I ran, I could say that people who were good employees IRL were great raiders.

Because our time was valuable. Much of my guild rushed home (including myself), took care of business, had time with SOs (who werent' fellow WoWheads :p), raided, then went to bed. Our real life schedules couldn't change really so every hour of our restricted scheduled raid times must count.

It's probably the most prestigious achievement the game has ever had. Pre-nerf HM LK was no fucking joke.

There are no pre-nerf and especially no pre-buff LK kills.

I honestly couldn't say because I stopped playing the game a few months after BC release until WotLK came out. It's my understanding that M'uru was a motherfucker, so maybe that's harder.

Fixedfixedfixedohgodfixed.

bill0527

I dont know about this.

I played WoW from launch up until about halfway through Cataclysms life cycle. Played casual and hardcore. Participated in dozens of guilds, got to know a lot of people. Maybe it was just me, but the vast majority of people I spent any serious time with had some fucked up emotional problems, and several other psychiatric disorders. Very few people I ran into, would I want to work with at a place of employment, much less hire to work in my company. From my anecdotal evidence, the more hardcore they were the more fucked up they seemed to be, and the more casual players were always the nicest and seemed the most well balanced.

Top Bottom