• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster has sold more than 1 million units worldwide

Hopefully, this reception is acknowledged within the development on RE2make.

You can't really take much from this, its a half priced game that never appeared elsewhere in an extremely popular series.

It says nothing definitive about the audience.

ORC did incredibly well for example.

Oh how I hope for the day. Do it Capcom!

Yeah, not sure why it is so low, but I know that I didn't bother to get it purely because I am still to finish REmake. My plan was to move on to 4 after that, and get 0 when it becomes a bit cheaper
Capcom released 0 and Dogma in the same week on PC.

Grief.exe

It barely sold 90k on Steam. Was it a bad port?

Yes, not sure why it is so low, but I know that I didn't bother to get it purely because I am still to finish REmake. My plan was to move on to 4 after that, and get 0 when it becomes a bit cheaper

It's the best version of the game by far...I think it was the lead platform even. Runsure 120hz too

I just remembered. They basically released it at the same time as Dragon's Dogma, which stole all the classic Capcom hype.

joe2187

Banned
heh, I loved RE0 and REmake.

So Im glad it did so well.

I think the bigger news is that MVC3 is number 21 at wiith 2.2 Million units sold.

Rymuth

Not my favorite RE game but hopefully this reaffirms Capcom's decision to stay from action oriented RE games (yeah they're doing it with 7 but more proof can never hurt)

I expect RE4 to do very well.

Ivan 3414

I mean, the truth is that Zero just wasn't a well liked a game. It's still not really, but it's got a bit of resurgence since a lot of hardcore fans are jonsing for classic RE gameplay and all. Even with that...it's still not even all that loved lol.

Eh...this game, with a reputation for being mediocre on enthusiast sites like GAF, still sold a million copies.

I agree with the sentiment that there's seems to be an opinion not accounted for outside of the "not well liked" narrative. Games considered to be "not well liked" generally don't sell a million copies, again.

KyleCross

I'm still surprised at the hate this entry gets, it's a solid title. Worst game in the main series? No, that's Code Veronica.

Thats pretty good considering how bad the game is.

Maybe I'm just not remembering it correctly (it's been fourteen years since I played and beat it) but how is it such a bad game? The plot might have been a bit forgettable and Billy was a take-him-or-leave-him protagonist, but the game itself wasn't all that bad.

It introduced mechanics that the series still uses today, the settting was interesting, and the gameplay itself was tried and true RE that we all know. Maybe it was because it was hot on the heels of the REmake? I don't know. My opinion of it might be a bit biased because I've loved the series, warts and all, but I wouldn't call it a "bad" game by any stretch, considering we've had far, far worse entries in the series.

joms5

Eww.
They might as well port Code Veronica now. We'll buy it.

Zero is the worst main RE by a huge margin and CV is fucking sweet.

Really?

You would rather play RE5 or RE6 over this?

I would take RE0 tens times over those other games. They were god awful.

Brilliant!

Second worst game in the classic series (I really dislike Code Veronica) but still an above average game generally.

Now give us an Onimusha remastered collection and REmake 2&3 Capcom!

Maybe I'm just not remembering it correctly (it's been fourteen years since I played and beat it) but how is it such a bad game? The plot might have been a bit forgettable and Billy was a take-him-or-leave-him protagonist, but the game itself wasn't all that bad.

It introduced mechanics that the series still uses today, the settting was interesting, and the gameplay itself was tried and true RE that we all know. Maybe it was because it was hot on the heels of the REmake? I don't know. My opinion of it might be a bit biased because I've loved the series, warts and all, but I wouldn't call it a "bad" game by any stretch, considering we've had far, far worse entries in the series.

The dual character system was an interesting peemise but it was ruined by missteps like removing the item boxes and the brain dead helper AI. It didn't feel like two people exploring, it felt like you had two different item screens to juggle and a constant reason to unnecessarily backtrack. Especially since Rebecca is the only one who can properly work with herbs so that's even more inventory management for you.

The enemies aren't scary, or even interesting. Just a bunch of lame "animal, but big and mean!" designs from RE1's cutting room floor. The leeches are dumb, Marcus is the worst main villain in the franchise (he's even worse than freaking Alfred Asheford! How can you be less intimidating than Alfred?!) Billy is boring, Rebecca is the vacant husk she always is, and the idea of all this being a prequel to RE1 just raises a ton of continuity questions in an already muddy timeline.

But it's biggest sin is that the game is just dull. There just aren't any really exciting bits, nothing scary or intimidating or even interesting. Even just trying to play it gets annoying as you constantly juggle inventory or backtrack through the entire area trying to find the one room you dropped an item you need in. Code: Veronica (which I consider to be nearly as bad) at least had the decency to limit itself to just having ugly graphics and a bad story. It at least still plays like it's predecessors.

KyleCross

Really?

You would rather play RE5 or RE6 over this?

I would take RE0 tens times over those other games. They were god awful.
RE5 and RE6 are pretty damn good, I'd rank them higher than RE0, but as I mentioned in my last post, CV is the worst I think.

The dual character system was an interesting peemise but it was ruined by missteps like removing the item boxes and the brain dead helper AI. It didn't feel like two people exploring, it felt like you had two different item screens to juggle and a constant reason to unnecessarily backtrack. Especially since Rebecca is the only one who can properly work with herbs so that's even more inventory management for you.

The enemies aren't scary, or even interesting. Just a bunch of lame "animal, but big and mean!" designs from RE1's cutting room floor. The leeches are dumb, Marcus is the worst main villain in the franchise (he's even worse than freaking Alfred Asheford! How can you be less intimidating than Alfred?!) Billy is boring, Rebecca is the vacant husk she always is, and the idea of all this being a prequel to RE1 just raises a ton of continuity questions in an already muddy timeline.

But it's biggest sin is that the game is just dull. There just aren't any really exciting bits, nothing scary or intimidating or even interesting. Even just trying to play it gets annoying as you constantly juggle inventory or backtrack through the entire area trying to find the one room you dropped an item you need in. Code: Veronica (which I consider to be nearly as bad) at least had the decency to limit itself to just having ugly graphics and a bad story. It at least still plays like it's predecessors.

Fair enough. Your description did bring back a few grievances I remember now.

I still wouldn't call it bad, but perhaps the fact I don't remember much of it is evidence enough. Still I have a soft spot for Rebecca. Hope she gets the Revelations 3 treatment.

Semajer

Good. It's nice to see the proper RE games getting rereleased.

Now I want PC ports of RE, RE2, and RE3 that consolidate the content of all the previous releases, and CVXHD - NotTooDarkToSeeShit Edition, even though CVX is garbage.

Sesha

I wonder if these numbers are actually a combination of shipped physical + sold through digital numbers. SFV hasn't moved since the last update.

Hopefully, this reception is acknowledged within the development on RE2make.

There's no doubt in my mind that RE2make won't be classic style RE, without even a modern RE control option compromise.

On PS3 and 360. The collection wasn't that big of a seller to really warrant another port for new gen. Could still happen but I don't see it.

DMC HD Collection sold 1m on PS3 and 360 alone.

did they lose the code for Onimusha or something? Capcom really doesnt care about a remaster atleast :(

They're prioritising last gen titles and their major franchises with these remasters. They'll probably move on to lesser franchises when they exhaust those.

It's almost reaching SFV, costing much less. Capcom must be loving these remasters.

They really do. So much so they made remasters a key part of their console business.

Lightning

Banned
RE Zero is not a bad game on a second playthrough cause you can eliminate all the bullshit backtracking. The game is actually pretty fun when you minimise the frustrations of the inventory system but on a second play through that's a lot easier cause you know what you need, what you'll be facing so which weapons are best suited etc and as a result the game is much more fun imo.

I actually liked the game on my second play through.

Neff

RE0 is legit. The story is garbage, the antagonist is garbage, and the final boss is horseshit incarnate, but the game itself is fine, and there's some very interesting environment design which flatters intelligent item management.

RE0 gets too much fucking hate, it is actually fantastic and one of my favorite RE games.

I'm super glad it is selling well though and I hope REmake 2 turns out as good as REmake and RE0.

The pre-rendered backgrounds in RE0 HD are so beautiful they make me want to cry when I'm playing through the game. It's definitely lower on the list of my favorite Resident Evil games, but seeing how amazing it looks reaffirms my belief that RE2 remake needs fixed camera angles, and preferably to have pre-rendered backgrounds as well. I'm so sad REmake couldn't get the same treatment and probably never will.

CV is worse.

RE0s reasons for being bad were mostly a product of its time and many don't apply anymore.

The reasons for Zero being not so great has absolutely nothing to do with being a 'product of its time.' The same issues it has now that most people dislike are still the same: half-baked co-op concept coupled with an infuriating inventory system based around the half-baked co-op concept. Add in a game that has such a recycled feel from its settings outside the train in the beginning (which isn't even that great), and lack of really new and cool enemies, you have a pretty obvious reason why it's not a favored entry both then and now.

What's different from then is that now we've had an absence of that type of Resident Evil (and that type of game in general), that many hardcore fans who hated it have warmed up to it, as opposed to when the formula was common and getting stale for many.

CV has always been overlooked. At the very least it had a fresh setting.

RootCause

I'm happy it did good. Well deserved. Now hurry up, and make 2, and 3 remakes. 🙏
I agree that CV is the worse. That game did not age well in many aspects...
I've always felt that CV was one of the worst RE games ever made, not counting Survivor.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So does that include the Resident Evil Origins Collection, or would that be digital only.

Boke1879

Nemesis is a top 5 video game villain. Man I cannot wait for that RE3 remake. I wonder if we'll see the onimusha games get remade too.

I'm right there with you man. I RE3 is personally my favorite simple because Jill and Nemesis. I have no doubts they'll remake 3 seeing as these games have success.

Played it for the first time when the HD remaster came out. I didn't think it was that bad and it's hard to find a game that plays anything like the classic RE games anyways so it was still worth playing. Even got most of the trophies.
That Leech Hunter minigame is the worst and can go fuck itself tho

Top Bottom