• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

Grief.exe

ibkR4LkmENugNJ.png

Resident Evil 4 is a third-person survival horror game originally released in 2005 on Nintendo’s GameCube. Directed by the famous Shinji Mikami, the game immediately ascended to high acclaim, including GAF’s 2005 GOTY award. The game has since been ported to the PS2, PC, Wii, 360, PS3, and there is even a mobile version. The original PC release, however, was fraught with issues. Broken controls, bad textures, PS2 geometry, and other issues. Is still believed to be one of the worst ports of all time.

Capcom surprised everyone with this release, seemingly atoning for their past sins on the platform. Basing this version on the 360/PS3 HD versions that were originally based on the GameCube/Wii versions. Featuring full mouse/keyboard controls, achievements, cloud save, leaderboards, full controller support, and trading cards. Best of all? The first time ever that the game has ran at 60 frames per second.

Preordering the game unlocks a 62 track music album as well as an art book. Preload is currently available.

Steam $19.99
GameFly $19.99
Green Man Gaming $19.99 $15.99

Beta Patch:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/254700/discussions/0/558753803722588548/
Beta Patch 1.06

Instructions
  • From your Steam ‘LIBRARY’ list, right-click on Resident Evil 4 / Biohazard 4 and select 'Properties'
  • Select the ‘BETAS’ tab.
  • Type RE4BETAoptin (case-sensitive) in the 'Enter beta access code' field and then click CHECK CODE.
  • Select the latest Beta from the drop down menu.

Fixes & Tweaks:
Re-tuned water reflection animation speed when played in 60fps mode
Removed static texture on burning candles in the church (Separate Ways/Another Order)
Re-tuned speed at which cannon shells are launched in Chapter 4 of Separate Ways/Another Order
Fixed one pixel-width vertical line that was uncovered on the left side of the screen in Credits and Options menu
Removed orange-ish post process screen effect when Leon and Ashley reenters the church after the Saddler cutscene.
Added back wake effect in 60fps mode after defeating Del Lago.

New Feature:
"Anisotropy" setting can now be saved when altered in the config.ini file. Valid settings are "0" "2" "4" "8" "16" without the quotation mark. Smaller value will result in blurrier textures, but this may help rendering performance for PCs that are at or below minimum specs.
Added a 4th color filter option in the graphics setting menu which slightly reduces the overall 'warm' color effect of the screen (Red and Green toned down on the RGB scale)

ibhOzN7OtSxChl.jpg

Martin's Shader Fix

Adds in the missing graphical features that were present in the GameCube and Wii versions. Fixes Bump Mapping, Specular Highlights, and other effects that were previously exclusive to Nintendo hardware.

Cris and Albert's Resident Evil 4 Texture Mod Project

A mod aimed at a complete graphical overhaul of Resident Evil 4, work is moving along quite quickly, but the project won't be completed for awhile.

ibpySbHY7sE2hC.jpg

All footage is at 60 frames per second.

iT1aANzAGAcdt.jpg

(Updated Mar. 13, 2014)

Q: What is in the Beta patch and how do I access it?
A: http://steamcommunity.com/app/254700/discussions/0/558750544148269482/

Q: What are the available graphics options?
A: RE4 is optimized for 1920x1080 at 60fps. Anything beyond 1080p has not formally been tested but we have seen it perform fine on 2560x1600, 2560x1440, 1920x1200, and 1440x900. The game will also have anti-aliasing up to 8X, three shadow quality settings, HD/SD texture quality toggle, and a post-process toggle which adds a different screen effect such as monotone filter as revealed during our recent Twitch stream. Tinkerers will also find other graphics options that work best for them :)

Q: I hear the game now natively supports mouse controls How does it work?
A: Traversal: Mouse movement will be used to free-roam camera view during traversal while WASD keys controls character movement on the map (keys are remappable).

Shooting mechanics: Hold down the right-click button to enter aim mode. During aim-mode, mouse movement will be used to control the laser pointer. Simply point the laser to the desired target and tap left-click to fire. Same for knifing - hold Space bar and tap left-click. Really simple.

Q: What customization options are available in the game?
A: Control options wise, it will have the following:
1. Custom key binding per action for keyboard users
2. Three preset control schemes for gamepad users
3. Inverted aim ON/OFF
4. Mouse acceleration ON/OFF
5. Mouse sensitivity 1 ~ 30
6. game pad vibration ON/OFF

Q: What version of RE4 is the new Steam version based on?
A: It's based on the Xbox 360 version, which in turn is based on the GameCube / Wii versions.

Q: Why is the game 11.1GB when past versions were much smaller? [(Updated)]
A: About 11GB of the data is the game itself. 1.6GB for the original SD textures, 5GB for the HD texture pack, 2.4GB for audio/sound effects, 1GB for some pre-recorded movies, primarily from the Separate Ways bonus mission that was later introduced from the PS2. The rest are scripting, levels, and other miscellaneous logic files.

Q: Can v-sync be turned on/off?
A: A number of other undocumented graphics settings including v-sync can be tweaked via config.ini, but these functions are not officially supported by Capcom. Use at your own risk.

Q: What is the maximum frame rate?
A: The in-game menu provides two options - Fixed 30fps and Fixed 60fps

Q: Screen seems too bright/dark. Can it be adjusted?
A: Yes, there is a slider in the menu that allows you to fine-tune the brightness level.

Q: Are cutscenes realtime or pre-rendered movie files?
A: Only the "Separate Ways" cutscenes are movie files. The rest of the game cutscenes are real time.

Q: What are the available controller options?
A: The game supports full mouse/keyboard control as well as XInput-based devices such as the Xbox 360 game pad. Inventory management is also done via keyboard or game pad.

Q: When will I receive my pre-purchase bonus content? (Updated)
A: The digital soundtrack and digital archives will be available on launch day (Feb 28, 2014). Bonus content is located in Resident Evil 4's installation folder under ...\Steam\SteamApps\common\Resident Evil 4\.

Q: I'm a huge RE4 fan! Tell me more about the Pre-purchase bonus content. What exactly is included?
A: Soundtrack: The soundtrack comes from a two-disc CD compilation sold in Japan. It's sampled at 320kbps/48Hz in MP3 format for maximum compatibility while keeping file size manageable for your portable device. Disc 1 "Darkness Side" contains 32 tracks while Disc 2 "Aggressive Side" includes 30 tracks. All in all, 140+ minutes for your listening pleasure.

Full Color Digital Archive: The 80+ page Digital Archive is not your typical art book. It comes from our 'Resident Evil Archives' Volume II encyclopedia published and sold by our friends at BradyGames. We've taken the best parts from the Archives featuring Resident Evil 4 characters, creatures, story, concept art, and more! Love the Resident Evil lore and want to know more? Check out Volume 1 covering events taking place between 1960 ~ 1998 while Volume 2 covers year 2002 through 2009.

Q: Are there achievements and trading cards?
A: Yes to both; the former are based on the Xbox 360 Achievements.

Q: I've heard rumors of the German version being censored. Is this true?
A: No. RE4 fans in Germany can enjoy RE4 in its full, uncensored g(l)ory. However, as was the case with previous German releases, Assignment Ada and Mercenaries unfortunately is not included in the German version. Separate Ways, Movie Viewer, and Ada's Report ARE included and unlockable.

As an aside, the Handcannon becomes available when you beat the main story in Professional difficulty while completing Separate Ways unlocks the Chicago Typwriter.

Q: There's a thriving modding community for the previous PC version. Any plan for Workshop support in this version?
A: There are no plans to add Steam Workshop given technical challenges working with legacy code from 2005. At the same time, we will not stop modders from toying around with the Steamworks edition. Modding is not supported by Capcom, so play at your own risk.

Q: Do you have any plans to support DirectX 10, 11, and beyond?
A: No. The game does not use nor require advanced functions offered through DX10/11. The game will utilize DirectX 9.0c for maximum OS compatibility.

Q: Does the game allow you to strafe/slide sideways?
A: No. The game follows the same control scheme as the original GameCube edition. Press the A key (or hold left on the left analog stick) to turn left or the D key to turn right. Mouse movement (or the right analog stick) is essentially your eye movement, and therefore does not change the direction your body is facing.

Q: Do I have to manually enable and configure game pad controller when switching to/from keyboard+mouse?
A: There is no need to enter the options menu whenever you want to switch between KB+M and a gamepad. Many recent Capcom games, including RE4, dynamically switches between KB+M and gamepad input mode. In fact, the game polls both input devices simultaneously so technically you can use both devices at the same time if desired.

Q: Is the frame rate capped at 60fps? Can I choose higher frame rate to take advantage of my 120Hz/144Hz monitor?
A: The game offers 30fps or 60fps locked through the in-game menu option. Deviating from these two settings unfortunately causes unexpected side effects or game-breaking bugs since certain animations are keyed to the frame. Undocumented settings may allow you to deviate from the 30/60fps cap, but this has not been tested, nor supported or warranted by Capcom.

Q: How do I enable subtitles? (Updated)
A: Select the desired in-game language (French/Italian/German/Spanish/*Japanese) from the game's property menu before launching the application. FIGS+J has full subtitles for every spoken dialog in the game, while English dialog is only partial (e.g., during radio chatter between Hunnigan). With English being partial and is on by default during radio transmission, the subtitle toggle is not used and therefore grayed out.

*Note: Japanese language only available in the Japanese version sold in Japan.

Q: The frame rate and HD/Original texture toggle is grayed out in the options menu. How do I change this?
A: These menu options can only be changed from the main title screen's option menu. Those two menu options will be grayed out once you're in active gameplay.

Q: How do I quit the game? (NEW)
A: Go to the options menu and select "RETRY OR RELOAD" --> "RESET GAME" --> "QUIT" Please note the "RESET GAME" will not erase your save data.

As a reminder, please make sure to save any progress you wish to retain beforehand. Otherwise any progress made since the last save point will be lost.​

Jb

I wonder how the game plays like on a keyboard & mouse, the game felt already a little off on a dual stick controller because it seemed designed for the GC one...
Who am I kidding, of course I'll triple dip eventually.

Dandalf

Neo Member
This will be the fifth time I've purchased this game...

1 - Gamecube
2 - PlayStation 2
3 - Wii
4 - XBox 460
5 - PC

...and yet, I'm happy each time I complete my purchase.

What have you done with Resident Evil, Capcom?

emag

Very much looking forward to this, although playing with a gamepad again (or mouse + keyboard) will be a step down from Wiimote + nunchuk.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
the game felt already a little off on a dual stick controller because it seemed designed for the GC one...

wat

Anyway, I can't wait. I haven't played RE4 in years and having 60fps for the first time is going to be incredible.

def sim

The mouse and keyboard controls has me interested. It should be a fun, but game breaking experience. Much like the Wii remote controls.

I just beat RE4 Wii Edition at the beginning of the year, and I'm still triple dipping on this. RE4 is such a good game; it's worth it.

Bought this game 3 times alread and I don't even like it all that much. If the graphics are outstanding I'll buy it one more time. I wish they would release RE Remake in HD

give_it_to_me_stephen_colbert.gif

The GOAT releasing again on a platform with a port that can finally do it justice this time... and 60 fps!

Forget everything else, this is GOTY 2014.

Miguel81

The last time I played RE4 was the PS2 version in 2005. I didn't particularly like the game, but I'll purchase this one in hope that Capcom will bring over Code Veronica HD.

T.O.P

Banned
To be sure, the control scheme is the same as the GC version right? Left stick to aim and A to shoot?

I want it to be exactly like the gc era

Grief.exe

I only played this one on PS2 launch, so this will be quite the experience for me.

Bought this game 3 times alread and I don't even like it all that much. If the graphics are outstanding I'll buy it one more time. I wish they would release RE Remake in HD

I would love to see that one as well, but the problem is the game was created with GameCube-specific aspect-ratios in mind. Stretching the backgrounds to 16:9 just isn't an option.

To be sure, the control scheme is the same as the GC version right? Left stick to aim and A to shoot?

I want it to be exactly like the gc era

Fully rebindable keys, so do what you will.

The base controls are probably based on the 360/PS3 version, so I would imagine similar to those.

Zornack

I'm ready to jump in for the first time

I asked a similar question in the other thread but I didn't quite phrase it right. Does RE4 spoil any of Code Veronica or 3's story? I've been playing the RE series over the past few months and I've made it through 0, REmake and 2.

Grief.exe

By the way, if you guys are on the fence in any way, go watch the trailers in the 'media' section. All of them are running at 60 FPS. The difference is mind-blowing.

Bought it 2 times (wii and ps3 HD version) While I have played tons of it I only completed it like..twice. Really hyped to play it in 60fps.

I'm ready to jump in for the first time

I asked a similar question in the other thread but I didn't quite phrase it right. Does RE4 spoil any of Code Veronica or 3's story? I've been playing the RE series over the past few months and I've made it through 0, REmake and 2.

I haven't played CV or 3 yet, but I'd venture 4 doesn't spoil anything there. It very smartly sidesteps a lot of the prior games, does its own thing, and is a far stronger game for it.

Minsc

Gold Member
This game never gets old. Can't wait to try it and see it running at 60fps for the first time.

dreamfall

Absolutely beautiful OT.

Would BUY AT HIGH PRICE/already bought. Ready to dive back in!

I played a ton of Revelations last month to get in the RE mood, and I'm so hyped for this!

re4dog.gif

Haven't played it since countless runs on the Gamecube. Ready for a replay of one of my favorites
despite loving the hell out of tank controls 1-CV grueling survival horror :(

Mupod

Might jump in, played it many times of course but never did beat it on Professional. Haven't played anything other than the gamecube original either, so the PS2 content would be new to me.

As a spanish speaking person I remember starting to play this game with my sound blasting and then....

Que Carajo haces aqui?, LARGATE CABRON!!!

I promptly lowered down the volume. LOL

Top Bottom