• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The crawlers
are insanely fast on madhouse. Almost done with my final run, must say I'm glad that I have the unlocks from previous playthroughs. Props to people beating this mode vanilla with no extras.

myco666

Speaking of the DLC, what is the consensus in the thread; season pass worth it so far or no?

After hearing that Madhouse brings back an ink ribbon paradigm for saving and has no checkpoints, I'm not sure I'll bother going for Platinum. I'm terrible at Resident Evil games or any sort of FPS in general, I died a few times on Easy. That's how bad I am. lol.

Banned Footage vol.1 is decent fun. Vol.2 is kinda ass. Daughters is really short and way too linear/easy puzzle thing without any replay value outside of getting true/bad end, 21 is blackjack with some fun new trump cards but it is still just blackjack and Jacks 55th birthday is actually fun arcade style mode.

renzolama

Can I preemptively nominate the RE7 Machine Gun for the next GAF "Worst Machine Guns in Games" thread? Holy cow is this thing terrible. I have fired what felt like entire clips directly into regular molded 2m away from me and they still close in and damage me before I can finish them off.

jonezer4

Can I preemptively nominate the RE7 Machine Gun for the next GAF "Worst Machine Guns in Games" thread? Holy cow is this thing terrible. I have fired what felt like entire clips directly into regular molded 2m away from me and they still close in and damage me before I can finish them off.

This generation's Klobb.

valeu

Speaking of the DLC, what is the consensus in the thread; season pass worth it so far or no?.

"daughters" from the dlc is worth buying imo. it's essentially a 35 minute prologue, can be played in VR, and is scary. "bedroom" is quite cool also, a room escape type level (which can be finished in about 30 minutes also). "21" is a card game, fun to play once. "nightmare" (survive for 4 nights, building traps), "ethan must die" (survive where everything is randomized and there are traps and there's an objective), and "jack's birthday"(find food to feed him) are gameplay modes which have unlockable replay value. i tried them all once but wasn't that interested. there should be 3 more pieces of dlc and, separately, a new free story level. if the season pass price is good and you liked the game, you won't feel bad by supporting the developers and getting it.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

I liked it on Normal. It's when I got to Madhouse that I realized it was kind of shitty. Takes way too much ammo to kill anything.

Dreez

I started RE7 the day it came out and just finished. I played beginning to end in VR. My time was: 12:41:57. Clearly, I took my sweet time with it. Some nights I would just play from one save spot to save spot to the next, or I would just accomplish a few goals then stop, mostly, just because I would get too scared and / or was playing right before bed and didn't have much more than a half hour to play. So, I absolutely adored the game beginning to end. Were there some missed opportunities? In my opinion, yes. I would have added:
another different type of Lucas / Saw-inspired level culminating in a boss battle with him. I might have missed something but where did he go?? The ship needed a boss battle. The mines could have had a new enemy type. And I would have died if the soldier at the end had removed his helmet and it had been Leon.
Other than that...I have no complaints. I liked how the game ended,
going back to the main house and Eveline's visions to the end, and how it was tied together.
I have zero else to say negative, and those weren't really negatives, just things I think could have taken it from a 9.4/10 to a 10/10. All that said, I'm glad I got the season pass so I get more to play. For me, it seemed inspired by American Horror Story more than anything, in the way that that series takes elements from very different horror genres / series and combines them into one package. I felt that
Jack was your typical Halloween / Friday the 13th slasher enemy; Margarite was demon-possessed; Lucas was Jigsaw; and Eveline was goth mutant-powered. As I learned more about Eveline, I started thinking that maybe she watched horror movies in her confinement and assigned a different horror-enemy-type to each Baker.

I sort of can't imagine not playing in VR because in VR it is astounding and terrifying. I felt constant dread and anxiety, hearing the sounds, and wondering what was going to be in the darkness ahead, and peaking around corners or through holes in the walls. I was there. I screamed out loud about 6 times. I wouldn't say I had post-traumatic stress disorder, but it did effect me and like I said, I could only play in half-hour amounts (until the
mine
, which I played to the end because it wasn't so scary, but I still enjoyed it.)

I absolutely didn't expect it to be so good, and terrifying, and for the VR to be so intensely immersive, and to enjoy the characters and story and world as much as I did. Bravo to the team for taking such big risks and I hope RE8 is a continuation in a different setting and with a different story and characters, but equally horrifying, and with an option for PSVR 2.0, and an option for 3rd person so that everyone is happy. RE7 is now my new favorite in the series, followed by RE1(HD REMAKE), and RE4.

Agree with most of what you said, especially on the VR... I figured going to regular would make my speed run easier but aiming and immersion wasn't on the same level so looks like I'll be playing the whole thing in VR. My time in the end of my first run was almost 14 hours and I felt like I was playing at the pace it was meant to be played :p

Edit: I also thought
Mutant Jack was the last boss, then the boat was sort of a final chapter, so to see it keep going to the Mines, Lab, etc. kind of dragged it down a little for me

myco666

"daughters" from the dlc is worth buying imo. it's essentially a 35 minute prologue, can be played in VR, and is scary. "bedroom" is quite cool also, a room escape type level (which can be finished in about 30 minutes also). "21" is a card game, fun to play once. "nightmare" (survive for 4 nights, building traps), "ethan must die" (survive where everything is randomized and there are traps and there's an objective), and "jack's birthday"(find food to feed him) are gameplay modes which have unlockable replay value. i tried them all once but wasn't that interested. there should be 3 more pieces of dlc and, separately, a new free story level. if the season pass price is good and you liked the game, you won't feel bad by supporting the developers and getting it.

I really disagree with daughters being worth buying. It offers hardly anything gameplaywise and you are done it with that 30 minutes. Might as well watch it on YT since you won't miss almost anything by doing that.

A bit of a problem I haven't seen elsewhere:

Completed Madhouse a while back and
unlocked Infinite Ammo.
Started an easy run today to go for the item box and healing item trophies, and so far at the point of entering the main basement. There has been no
Infinite ammo
thus far.

Am I missing an option? Available on only a certain difficulty?

Storm360

A bit of a problem I haven't seen elsewhere:

Completed Madhouse a while back and
unlocked Infinite Ammo.
Started an easy run today to go for the item box and healing item trophies, and so far at the point of entering the main basement. There has been no
Infinite ammo
thus far.

Am I missing an option? Available on only a certain difficulty?

All the end game rewards are in your item box

AlanOC91

On the
Jack Boathouse
boss fight.

Died twice and on my third attempt I thought I had him beat.
He started convulsing on the ground and disappeared into the water. A cutscene occured where he burst out and dragged me under water and I couldn't move, only shoot at one remaining eye but he attacks too fast and I died.... Super annoyed.

Read some guides and none of them mention this part?

dlauv

On the
Jack Boathouse
boss fight.

He started convulsing on the ground and disappeared into the water. A cutscene occured where he burst out and dragged me under water and I couldn't move, only shoot at one remaining eye but he attacks too fast and I died.... Super annoyed.

Are you blocking? You take next to no damage.

Voliko

Beat this today. Took me 10hrs. I think it's a solid entry but it didn't really bring anything new to the table. Felt like they copy pasted the formula of the old games, sprinkled in a pinch of Clock Tower, and put it into first person. Biggest complaint is that the game gives you way, way too many supplies. Has always been a problem of the series except for maybe REmake and Zero. And there's only like 3 different regular enemies.

It isn't as atmospheric as the classic games (sans Veronica X) and the combat isn't nearly as good as 4-6.

Beat it for the second time because I missed a couple of Mr. Everywheres, got
The Essence of Defense and the Running Shoes
. I'm planning to attempt Madhouse soon, will probably start tonight. This game is extremely good and I'm really glad I gave it a shot because I was gonna pass after playing the demo. As soon as it turns from pseudo-Outlast into real deal RE where you're shooting stuff, solving puzzles and exploring the house I was hooked. I kinda wish there had been a full
Mia playthrough like Chris/Jill in RE1, that would have been great

If they keep first person for the sequel I would like to see more enemy variety and some of the RE4-style context melee attacks come back, even if they make them more "realistic" than Leon's super badassery.

Watching my brother play Madhouse though, I don't really like how the enemies
all become Sonic speed, makes running away from them (especially Jack from what I saw) pretty much impossible and you don't have the resources to just blow them away with firepower

On the
Jack Boathouse
boss fight.

Wait, on madhouse, I can definitely move during that phase of the fight. Am I not remembering normal and easy difficulty correctly? But yeah, if you're pinned, make sure to block when he swings. And save a health item for that part of the fight.

On the
Jack Boathouse
boss fight.

Wait, on madhouse, I can definitely move during that phase of the fight. Am I not remembering normal and easy difficulty correctly? But yeah, if you're pinned, make sure to block when he swings. And save a health item for that part of the fight.

You can run from side to side.

Lucentto

Banned
Playing through madhouse mode. Ethan's run speed is actively making me mad. That shit is like worse than Fatal Frame tier. Enemies are too fast for this shit.

Gradon

there should be 3 more pieces of dlc and, separately, a new free story level.

(As far as I'm aware...) There's only two story levels left. Not three pieces.

The free DLC we know that's coming and another story pack in the season pass that we know nothing about.

You can run from side to side.

Right. That's what I thought. You can actually get through that part of the fight without getting hit at all.

If he's swinging with his right hand, you run all the way to his right (your left) and he'll miss. You do the opposite if he's swinging with his left hand.

ckohler

I just finished it yesterday and it was fantastic. By far the best VR game. I've totally enjoyed so many other "experiences" on PSVR so far (Batman, Sports Bar, Wayward Sky, etc.) but this was the real deal. A full, AAA game playable in VR. Not only that, it was a GREAT game! Really engaging, challenging and fun.

I had so many reservations about playing RE7 in VR because a) I'm not usually one to play scary games and b) this is about as scary as it can get. Yet, I found the whole experience so compelling I forced myself over that initial hump and I'm so glad I did! Yes, it was scary. But honestly, it wasn't so bad. I'd compare it to a real life roller coaster ride. When you first get on, you're really nervous. As you're riding it's frightening. But it's also exhilarating and enjoyable and once the ride ends you realize how much fun you just had.

In closing, RE7 is the real deal. A fantastically put together game that would be fun even on a 2D screen with a compelling narrative and characters. But with the addition of PSVR, you are there. You are in this world. You are INSIDE a horror movie. It's an experience unlike anything I've ever had in gaming.

I'm sooo glad that Capcom has said they plan to do more VR. Bring it on!

taoofjord

Super weird problem on the PS4 version. I played and finished the game then bought the season pass. Now when I boot the game it hangs endlessly on the loading screen. Is there some way around this or should I just delete the game and reinstall it?

Super weird problem on the PS4 version. I played and finished the game then bought the season pass. Now when I boot the game it hangs endlessly on the loading screen. Is there some way around this or should I just delete the game and reinstall it?

You'll have to do a delete and install.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I got my platinum yesterday. Madhouse wasn't that hard with the extras, but I have to say that the final big encounter was challenging either way. First the
long-ass climb to the top where it's best to spring past everything, then the two bloaters to finish things off.
I seperated some strong chem fluid from med kits to make more flame rounds, definitely needed them.

Now I'm done. Have to say that it was the first RE since 4 that I just couldn't stop playing.

ViolentP

Someone recently had a similar issue where the game thought a particular piece of DLC was installed when it in fact wasn't.

myco666

I got my platinum yesterday. Madhouse wasn't that hard with the extras, but I have to say that the final big encounter was challenging either way. First the
long-ass climb to the top where it's best to spring past everything, then the two bloaters to finish things off.
I seperated some strong chem fluid from med kits to make more flame rounds, definitely needed them.

Now I'm done. Have to say that it was the first RE since 4 that I just couldn't stop playing.

I think the best thing to do in that section is to
kill some molded go back and save > go kill some molded and go back and save. You should have bunch of tapes at that point so you should be able to do that.

myco666

God fucking dammit. That healing animation in the middle of boss battles is frustrating. STOP LOOKING AT YOUR GOD DAMN HAND!

Pro tip. You can cancel animations with a block. So basically if you heal and press block you get healed and cut the stupid hand look animation. Works even with reloads but you need to constantly look the HUD to make sure it loaded. I was too hasty once and I tried to load grenade launcher but I canceled the animation too early four times lol.

Unai

The Grenade Launcher doesn't seem to be a great weapon even with infinity ammo. I think the Albert-01 with enhanced ammo kill things faster. I guess it would be good for crowd control, but a good old shotgun does that job really well too.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Beat this today. Took me 10hrs. I think it's a solid entry but it didn't really bring anything new to the table. Felt like they copy pasted the formula of the old games, sprinkled in a pinch of Clock Tower, and put it into first person. Biggest complaint is that the game gives you way, way too many supplies. Has always been a problem of the series except for maybe REmake and Zero. And there's only like 3 different regular enemies.

It isn't as atmospheric as the classic games (sans Veronica X) and the combat isn't nearly as good as 4-6.

Damn I just disagree with that atmosphere part. I think this is the first game since 2 that really captured that isolated feeling the first 2 presented. The feeling of dread stuck with me almost the entire game.

The Grenade Launcher doesn't seem to be a great weapon even with infinity ammo. I think the Albert-01 with enhanced ammo kill things faster. I guess it would be good for crowd control, but a good old shotgun does that job really well too.

Grenade launcher is awful. It's only good for stunning
fat molded
with neuro rounds.

Yeah, it's only really useful for the
fat molded (neuro rounds)
and some of the boss fights.

Voliko

Damn I just disagree with that atmosphere part. I think this is the first game since 2 that really captured that isolated feeling the first 2 presented. The feeling of dread stuck with me almost the entire game.
I think 7 does a pretty good job but it being first person and having to constantly fling the camera around looking for items versus the cinematic (picturesque?) fixed camera angles of the old games is what does it for me

Completed it tonight. Good game. I think the first 2/3 are much better than the last and the twist was kind of meh.
The Baker face turn was very lame.
I liked the atmosphere, the environments, and the first-person perspective the most.

Solid game and a good foundation for future games in the series.

been working on night terror for a few hours now, doesnt seem possible. Highest ive ever gotten to is the very beginning of the last hour. Maybe when I eventually grind enough and get infinite ammo i will be able to complete it

Completed it tonight. Good game. I think the first 2/3 are much better than the last and the twist was kind of meh.
The Baker face turn was very lame.
I liked the atmosphere, the environments, and the first-person perspective the most.

Really... huh. That was one of my favorite parts. I just loved the Baker characters in general. I thought it added a touch of emotion and humanity to the story.

I also liked that scene
with Jack where you see that he was really a nice dude whose whole family got screwed (except Lucas, he was a dick regardless) just for Jack being the Marine that he is and trying to help people in need. It made me feel really bad for how stuff turned out.

I'm going through Madhouse now, just got
outside of the house for the first time, headed to the old house with Marguerite. The Albert-01R is the MVP in this game, especially in Madhouse thus far. Enhanced handgun rounds shred pretty much anything you come across.

I thought the script was actually surprisingly good at least for something like this. I think there's a lot of very quotable dialogue but not in the bad way and pretty well defined characters. I find myself quoting the characters on replays, especially Jack and Lucas and at times Marguerite.

Well don't just stand there... DO SOMETHING!!

I thought the script was actually surprisingly good at least for something like this. I think there's a lot of very quotable dialogue but not in the bad way and pretty well defined characters. I find myself quoting the characters on replays, especially Jack and Lucas and at times Marguerite.

Well don't just stand there... DO SOMETHING!!

The game has phenomenal presentation for the most part and the performance and line delivery are nailed.

It's a shame that once
Eveline
comes into the focus that it starts falling apart. The
hallucination flashback
of
Mia
dismembering
Ethan is the worst offender. Why would
Eveline
want
Mia to kill Ethan
before being offered a place when Ethan was
brought there to be the new Daddy
in the first place?

Without spoiling me...
ZOE OR MIA??!? I can't decide!
Mia chainsawed my arm off, which is enough for me to say no, but she clearly didn't know what was going on. But Zoe has been willing to help, but she's been here for a while longer I imagine, and I am afraid of the serum just being "wasted" on her. Without spoiling me, who did you pick and why?

LowParry

Without spoiling me...
ZOE OR MIA??!? I can't decide!
Mia chainsawed my arm off, which is enough for me to say no, but she clearly didn't know what was going on. But Zoe has been willing to help, but she's been here for a while longer I imagine, and I am afraid of the serum just being "wasted" on her. Without spoiling me, who did you pick and why?

Wife or stranger. ;)

Top Bottom